New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Wreck of the Harmonious Spirit (D&D 3.5 IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Once both vials are sealed and stashed away, she rejoins the others, uite pleasantly surprised. Excellent find, Master Djin. he commends the man (she will have to remember and do the same in her report to Zipnog, certainly). The presence of natural heat might yet prove useful if we wish to establish an outpost later, hm, the governance would likely be amenable to the idea, if notified of the mineral deposits… she muses on. A good way to keep operations as covert as desired too, given the lack of smoke. We might want to explore how much of the expedition's manpower and gear we can fit in spaces so heated. Mayhaps if repairs should fail… But it is too early to entertain such scenarios, is it not. a mark is added to her crude map of the canyon, as well as to the legend – "hot springs; useful", she scribbles beside it.

Spoiler: TELEPATHY in ORC!
    Show

And then, I see you are awake, Taknorogan, is that right. Seems like we endured you just fine. More willing to talk, now. she asks, her intonation flat as ever.
    Taknorogan again engages Utra in a telepathic conversation in orc, insisting.

“I am as calm as a gentle breeze. Our contest was hardly fair, five against one. Your survival proves nothing.” Wincing in pain as he adjusts his posture. “I would challenge any of you individually for leadership of this group of.” His words drift off, as he is unsure to the purpose and identity of his captors. “Who are you? What are you doing in this place? What reason have you for disarming a Nok-Korosh trap this far down river? Without a baited trap the Nok-Korosh will scour the ice for its prey. There are several villages on the move this very night, including my own. What have you done?” In this way, Utra is accused by the one in chains.

Spoiler: Known Language: Orc
    Show
    The word Nok-Korosh literally translates as Warrior’s Heart, a name given to any formidable creature revered by a clan. The honorific can refer to anything, from a fearsome wolf to a victorious warlord.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by razorfloss View Post
    Seeing the orc awaken he asks in OrcYou ready to talk like civilized folk and not idiots? There was no need for that nasty unpleasantness from the other day now was there. Nod if you're willing to now talk
    Seemingly calm, bound, and disarmed, Taknorogan nods. When his native tongue is spoken aloud by Orion Moonshadow. If the gag is removed from his mouth, he speaks these unsettling words.

"There is a temple I visited as a boy, filled with the bones of your kind. I thought you were extinct."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    "I am going to take a dip once this orc is conked out again. Do we have any means to create a fire to warm us up without magic?"

Still armed, Djin alternates his pupils between the opening and the orc.
    Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Once inside the cave Naomi collects debris that might burn and starts a fire with her Flint n steel
    Abundant driftwood can be collected from the beach and the river’s edge. Unusable for repairs but suitable for fuel. With her flint and steel Naomi starts a small fire. A smoky odor dissipates away from the flames, while the pleasant aroma of sizzling fish and tubers fills the whole cavern. Each member of the party is able to obtain a full undisturbed rest. Djin stands watch at the only entrance, completely concealed but with an unobstructed view of the whole canyon.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    Utra's words were enough to give Skaruvus pause, and as he landed gracefully back on his paws from the Orc's defense of his grapple, he let his weight settle back slightly, raising his head to show a slightly more diplomatic posture.

And then he speaks in a language that very few, if any could recognize, something that feels more primal and rooted in the earth.

Spoiler: Druidic
    Show
    "You who has become my opponent, I listen to the wind and sky when they speak... As arbiter of beast and grove, would you become my fellow, my predator, or my prey?"
    If anyone can speak Druidic, this is immediately recognizable as a highly formal entreatment offering truce and warning of deadly conflict should the truce be broken without prior agreement.
    Surreth returns to the valley, having located people walking upright. Gripped within a muscular talon is a small branch from a shrub dwarfed by high elevations. The natural clue, seemingly nothing more than a stick with a triad of ripe orange berries, holds libraries of information. With this one token Skaruvus is able to know from where Surreth has come.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Djin nods at Naomi for the fire and touches her to heal her with his healing belt.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Djin nods at Naomi for the fire and touches her to heal her with his healing belt.
    Magical moonstones bathe Naomi in healing light. Significantly lessening her injuries. Naomi’s range of motion returns to normal. Twisting motions no longer cause her any pain. Her breath comes easily, instead of being unsteady and laborious. It is clear to all, she is on the mend.

Naomi loses her injured status. She is no longer penalized with -1 to hit.

7. - Top - End - #97

AssassinGuy

Once his allies finished questioning and the orc is knocked out for the next 8-10 hours, he will bath in the hot spring before going to sleep.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the others tend to the Orc's bleeding wounds and bind him so that he will not be a threat going forward, Skaruvus considers all that they have experienced thus far. Something felt different about the Orc, who clearly valued strength above all else. He felt a kindred spirit within the Orc, though it felt less like a fellow member of a flock, and more like what a mother bear feels for a father wolf...

He stayed silent while helping to gather some firewood and beginning to cook the fish he'd caught earlier, listening intently as the others spoke and the wind whispered. After ensuring that everyone had enough to eat, his ears prick up for a moment, and he leaves the cave entrance and holds his arm aloft just in time for Surreth to land in perch on the leather brace.

Skar plucked the small branch from the bird and examined it, considering the implications of the item and the time it had taken Surreth to return. Finally, he spoke.

"I am having the report of Surreth; we may be finding peoples past the mountains of the distance." He holds up the branch with the orange berries. "We will be finding more berries of this where they are being."

As the day winds down, Skaruvus, after some deliberation, gently pulls the rag from the Orc's mouth, and speaks to him again in the language of their shared tradition.

Show
    "I see that you value strength, as is right. Without strength, how can anything live. And it would appear that you are of your own possessing great strength.
    I hope that you recognize our strength, as the wolfpack; though any one of us may be bested by the elk, together we will bring it down.

If you would speak with me, I would ask questions, as the wind has taken me far from where I was born, and you have knowledge of this place that we do not."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

9. - Top - End - #99

Utra feels a sudden, cold shock, as though she touched one of those rippling arcs of light dancing about a wet ground struck by lightning. If Taknorogan could see her tense up, he'd, perhaps, mistake that for fear. It isn't fear. It is excitement, barely though it may seep into the even expression on her face. I'd rather we silenced him as fast once more as it is possible, Master Skaruvus. she says quietly. He just revealed, hm, a fascinating little detail that shines some light on his recent predicament, so to say. she explains. There is a creature he calls a Nok-Korosh at large in the area. It would appear to be a predator of some sort, but he specified no further, hm. He was to serve as a bait, or, mayhaps, a sacrifice, to draw it into the canyon and away from local tribal communities, such as his own. As such she goes on we cannot exclude the possibility that he might try nd call out to it, given the chance, can we, now. And as much as I would like to observe what inspires such fear in one like him…

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

As the others tend to the Orc's bleeding wounds and bind him so that he will not be a threat going forward, Skaruvus considers all that they have experienced thus far. Something felt different about the Orc, who clearly valued strength above all else. He felt a kindred spirit within the Orc, though it felt less like a fellow member of a flock, and more like what a mother bear feels for a father wolf...

He stayed silent while helping to gather some firewood and beginning to cook the fish he'd caught earlier, listening intently as the others spoke and the wind whispered. After ensuring that everyone had enough to eat, his ears prick up for a moment, and he leaves the cave entrance and holds his arm aloft just in time for Surreth to land in perch on the leather brace.

Skar plucked the small branch from the bird and examined it, considering the implications of the item and the time it had taken Surreth to return. Finally, he spoke.

"I am having the report of Surreth; we may be finding peoples past the mountains of the distance." He holds up the branch with the orange berries. "We will be finding more berries of this where they are being."

As the day winds down, Skaruvus, after some deliberation, gently pulls the rag from the Orc's mouth, and speaks to him again in the language of their shared tradition.

Show
    "I see that you value strength, as is right. Without strength, how can anything live. And it would appear that you are of your own possessing great strength.
    I hope that you recognize our strength, as the wolfpack; though any one of us may be bested by the elk, together we will bring it down.

If you would speak with me, I would ask questions, as the wind has taken me far from where I was born, and you have knowledge of this place that we do not."
    Skaruvus’ metaphor rings true to Taknorogan, his outward contempt lessens as he speaks freely in the poetic language of life. An unwritten melody, known only to those to whom it has been revealed. A common bond and understanding eases the conversation into one of helpful honesty.

Taknorogan has many friends in this valley and beyond. He knows the locations of all the circles and the layout of the tunnels. Furthermore he knows the location of strongholds and other points of interests held by the Skullcrushers. Martial overlords of the region, hostile to all outside their ranks. A hunting party of Skincutters approach this canyon though the tunnels this very night. They are not hostile, Skaruvus is told. They are here for the hunt, for glory, and strength. To kill the…

The druidic word used by Taknorgoan is far less ambiguous than its orcish counterpart. Dragon.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Utra feels a sudden, cold shock, as though she touched one of those rippling arcs of light dancing about a wet ground struck by lightning. If Taknorogan could see her tense up, he'd, perhaps, mistake that for fear. It isn't fear. It is excitement, barely though it may seep into the even expression on her face. I'd rather we silenced him as fast once more as it is possible, Master Skaruvus. she says quietly. He just revealed, hm, a fascinating little detail that shines some light on his recent predicament, so to say. she explains. There is a creature he calls a Nok-Korosh at large in the area. It would appear to be a predator of some sort, but he specified no further, hm. He was to serve as a bait, or, mayhaps, a sacrifice, to draw it into the canyon and away from local tribal communities, such as his own. As such she goes on we cannot exclude the possibility that he might try nd call out to it, given the chance, can we, now. And as much as I would like to observe what inspires such fear in one like him…
    Taknorogan attempts to puzzle out language spoken between the druid and the telepath, but it is beyond his comprehension.

Spoiler: Knowledge Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge Religion (23)
    DC 10
    It is fairly common knowledge often overheard in taverns and public houses, that worshipers of Gruumsh are often nomadic
    DC15 Research indicates, the orc pantheon demands routine pilgrimages to avoid being cursed
    DC20 An obscure fact known to few is, that several overlapping pilgrimages are taking place at this time.

Knowledge local (19)

DC 10 It was confirmed by Taknorogan that he intends to challenge for leadership.
    DC15 Research indicates, one may not challenge without a worthy deed.

Knowledge History (20)
    DC 10 It is fairly common knowledge often overheard in taverns and public houses, that dangerous animals are hunted for prestige
    DC15 Research indicates, the more dangerous the animal, the more prestige gained by felling it
    DC20 An obscure fact known to few is the Nok-Korosh has a special significance across Orc cultures, allowing one to challenge for leadership.

Knowledge Nature (26)

DC 10 It is fairly common knowledge often overheard in taverns and public houses, traps are baited with something attractive and digestible by the animal being trapped.
    DC15 Research indicates, this trap was baited for a large or larger flying creature which eats humanoids.
    DC20 An obscure fact known to few, allows the possibilities to be narrowed to only a few creatures. The most logical a white dragon.
    DC 25 Secret knowledge was once revealed to you, that an adult white dragon is more animal than any of its kin. It possesses a breath weapon of cold and a frightful presence. Only magical weapons can effectively penetrate its hide. Immune to the cold but vulnerable to fire. It possesses the ability to ice walk and cast a fog cloud. Its tail can be used as a weapon and its wings are capable of creating a gust of wind able to carry away small creatures.

Paragnostic Lore (27)

DC 10 The dragon is revered in Skincutter lore above any other creature of the frostfell
    DC 20 Epic heroes throughout history have defeated the dragon, making weapons and armor from its bones, hides and scales.
    DC 25 Taknorogan’s namesake is famed for slaying a great white wyrm in the ancient sagas
    Last edited by CircleNavigator; 2024-05-07 at 01:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Once his allies finished questioning and the orc is knocked out for the next 8-10 hours, he will bath in the hot spring before going to sleep.
    Soothing waters, so rich in minerals as to make the cloudy water opaque, surround Djin’s body. Around him a perpetual rainfall of dripping water splashes into the shallow pool. An overflow trickles over the side, falling then disappearing, presumably into a subterranean cavern far below.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CircleNavigator View Post
    Skaruvus’ metaphor rings true to Taknorogan, his outward contempt lessens as he speaks freely in the poetic language of life. An unwritten melody, known only to those to whom it has been revealed. A common bond and understanding eases the conversation into one of helpful honesty.

Taknorogan has many friends in this valley and beyond. He knows the locations of all the circles and the layout of the tunnels. Furthermore he knows the location of strongholds and other points of interests held by the Skullcrushers. Martial overlords of the region, hostile to all outside their ranks. A hunting party of Skincutters approach this canyon though the tunnels this very night. They are not hostile, Skaruvus is told. They are here for the hunt, for glory, and strength. To kill the…

The druidic word used by Taknorgoan is far less ambiguous than its orcish counterpart. Dragon.
    In the course of their conversation, Skar introduces himself to Taknorogan, as Skaruvus Windspeaker, and explains that Surreth, who is currently enjoying a well-deserved fish of his own indicates a settlement beyond the mountains. He shows the berries and explains his reasoning about them, and asks if that settlement is Skullcrusher or Skincutter, and further clarifies if Skincutters are commonly Orc, and what manner of being Skullcrushers are. After hearing and understanding that Skincutter hunters will be heading this way through the caves, and what their quarry is, Skar takes a minute to relay this to the others.

"We may be having the arrival of ones Who Cut Skin soonly.
    Taknorogan,"
    he gestures to the Orc, "is telling I they are being friendly, but I am believing this Nok-Korosh you are saying is a dragon. That is what they are hunting."

Putting into context what Utra had gleaned, Skar switches back to Druidic to ask about Taknorogan's trap for the dragon, wondering if this is common practice and how it works, if it would be possible to set a similar trap again and take down the dragon with the group's aid.
    Last edited by Breitheamh; 2024-05-07 at 11:44 AM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

In the course of their conversation, Skar introduces himself to Taknorogan, as Skaruvus Windspeaker, and explains that Surreth, who is currently enjoying a well-deserved fish of his own indicates a settlement beyond the mountains. He shows the berries and explains his reasoning about them, and asks if that settlement is Skullcrusher or Skincutter, and further clarifies if Skincutters are commonly Orc, and what manner of being Skullcrushers are. After hearing and understanding that Skincutter hunters will be heading this way through the caves, and what their quarry is, Skar takes a minute to relay this to the others.

"We may be having the arrival of ones Who Cut Skin soonly.
    Taknorogan,"
    he gestures to the Orc, "is telling I they are being friendly, but I am believing this Nok-Korosh you are saying is a dragon. That is what they are hunting."

Putting into context what Utra had gleaned, Skar switches back to Druidic to ask about Taknorogan's trap for the dragon, wondering if this is common practice and how it works, if it would be possible to set a similar trap again and take down the dragon with the group's aid.
    Taknorogan knows the mountain where a particular orange berry ripens at this time. Word that there are people present brings joy to his thunderous heart. He describes it as a Skincutter lodge, a traveling market of makers and magicians. Taknorogan seems excited and fully engaged when speaking from his memories. Suggesting their arrival should not be taken for granted, they will depart on a whim.

“Skullcrushers are ogres.” Taknorogan informs Skaruvus. “Leftover soldiers from some war, who decided to conquer all they could for themselves. The skulls they crush are not their own. They break champions in the arena, ending the life of any who would stand against them. Skincutters are commonly orc, though not always so.”

Taknorogan offers an example, he was aided in setting up his trap by a giant with skin cut like his own. He explains the meticulous preparation that went into the first trap. With limited time, and only a handful of people available, it might be possible to set up another trap. But it won’t be easy.

15. - Top - End - #105

AssassinGuy

Past

"I want to hear the whole story from all angles rather than jumping into conclusions. There might be some key nuggets we missed."

Djin gestures to the dark-skinned man and orc in deep conversation.