New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Drow War Epic 3.5 IC thread

I will get the first IC post up as soon as I can.

Recruitment Thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...War-(Epic-3-5)

OOC Thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...3-5-OOC-thread
    Last edited by paradox26; 2024-04-15 at 03:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Drow War Epic 3.5 IC thread

The action begins on the world of Ashfar, where the peace forged in the aftermath of the Player Characters’ apparent victory at the end of the last book has now been broken. Something is causing the barriers between worlds to collapse, smashing plane into plane, opening rifts through which atrocious fiends can step into the ordinary world and cause chaos. No hero can let this happen without acting against it, and on this world and others, armour is donned and swords are drawn.

Even former enemies recognise the threat. The Player Characters must deal with shocking revelations concerning an old foe who may well prove to be new friend. Is it written in the heavens that the Starborn and the drow must always be opposed or can the dark ones truly change? Can the olive branch be accepted or is this just another trick? There is no easy way to decide.

You are Starborn, chosen by fate itself. Only Starborn can be resurrected, lesser mortals have only a single chance at life.

What Has Gone Before
    The party are no ordinary heroes. They are the Starborn, a group of legendary warriors who arise in new minds and bodies once every thousand years to face the threat of the rising Dark and its minions, the Host. Whether they are personally inclined towards good or evil or towards law or chaos, the Starborn stand for one thing above all: existence. The preservation of life itself comes before any personal moral outlook and the Dark is equally hostile to all save its champions.

At intervals of one thousand years, the forces of the Stars and the Dark come into conflict during a period called the Equinox of the Heroes. The outcome of this battle determines the fate of the world in the times to come, deciding whether the ordinary folk will live with the freedom to make their own decisions or be forced into blind compliance with the alien authority of the Dark. The primary representatives of the Dark, and the most likely creatures to become members of the Host, are the drow – or were until recently. The drow championing of the Dark has led to the battles fought at the Equinoxes being termed the Drow War, so historians tend to refer to the uprisings as the First, Second or Third Drow War. Since the First Drow War there has been an anchor point for the Dark on the Material Plane, a mass of black stone called the Abyssal Altar. While it remains here, the Dark can infuse itself into its minions, strengthening them and their magic and guiding them subtly against the foe.

The Last Drow War
    The party are resting in the aftermath of the most recent of the Drow Wars, namely the Third. The events described below may have taken place differently in the Games Master’s own campaign; this is the version most likely to have played out. The archmage Rannirak, the twisted genius chosen to lead the drow against the upper world, came close to clinching victory. His massive Darkspears – metal spires filled with drow warriors and emanating domes of darkness that veiled whole cities – smashed upwards into the main cities of the strongest nation on Ashfar, the human-dominated land of Jehannum. Rannirak’s overconfidence proved his downfall, for he brought the Abyssal Altar to the chambers below the capital city in order to commune with the Dark more easily. He had no idea that this would allow the Starborn to reach the Abyssal Altar, destroy it and sever the Dark’s only conduit into Ashfar. Without their tenebrous patron guiding them, the drow were left desolate and abandoned. The allied forces were able to overcome the demoralised enemy and win back Jehannum, bringing an end to the war.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2024-04-19 at 05:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Reshad sits with his feet propped up watching the tavern patrons after his recount of the story of their defeat of Rannirak. ”Twas a good battle, mayhaps ‘tis time to move on?”. He says to no one in particular.

The ranger had enjoyed a successful boost in business as a hunting guide and caravan security guide for quite a while now. Nearly a year as he recalled. Several of the patrons whooped at the ending of the tale again and ordered yet another round of ale.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2024-04-20 at 11:48 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

In the past year, Yedra has been helping to rebuild.
    Rebuild the hearts, rebuild the strength at arms, rebuild the nations.

She's just one person, and she doesn't have the mystical powers of some of her fellow Starborn, who can reshape reality, but she is nonetheless tireless, relentless in serving her people. "Her people" now means more than the small, dispersed group of Synads inhabiting Ashfar - it's all of the sentient creatures standing against the Dark.

The martial academy she founded holds a special place in her heart, but she can't spend all of her time there, so she delegates a lot, which is for the best.

Still, it feels good to be reunited with her Starborn companions, none of them looking any younger.
    She arrives, regal as ever, blade in hand - for she is too used to the strange twists Destiny has thrown at them out of nowhere in the past - and warmly embraces each of them.
    "It's not over, is it? I had a feeling..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Good to see the level 21 legendary heroes still hang out in a tavern, @Lioslaith.
    Last edited by namo; 2024-04-20 at 04:03 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

For some time ivory had been helping out in the area with various clergy needs, always on the move, never long for one location. Then as fate seemed to unravel itself, she found herself walking into the one tavern where someone she knew from recent past seemed to be boasting about that very past. Walking up steathly from behind. She spoke and what of your companions Reshad...
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-04-21 at 07:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A wry smile crosses his face, ”My companions? Why they are none other than the Starborn themselves. Truth be told they had way more to do with the whole thing than I ever did.” He says to the enraptured audience then nods over his shoulder to the others.
    I like the globe warm...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There is a sudden flurry of activity emanating from outside the inn. The commotion is quite loud, and it resolves itself quickly. A herald enters the inn, looking around at the inhabitants. He seems to take particular notice of the party members, who are better dressed and equipped than the others in the room.

"Take heed, ye petty beings. Behold the might and glory of Prince Nuskahm of Jasmal," he announces in a loud, clear voice that explains how he got the position of herald.

A young man dressed in immediately identifiable rich garments and jewellery enters the inn, accompanied by servants and guards, and others whose purpose is not clear. He looks around as the herald approaches and whispers to him. He looks straight at the party members. He then raises his hand and points out each member of the party, and says, "You may remain here, for I wish a word with you, mighty ones. Everyone else in the room can leave. The staff may remain to aid my retinue."

The guards quickly usher the commoners out the door. Even the more prosperous types in the room do not pause to complain, indicating that the Prince might be feared as well as respected.

You manage to get a better look as he sits. The guards are wearing full armour that covers every bit of them, and there is something odd about them that you have trouble discerning. He is accompanied by a small group of women. They move with incredible grace, and are not armed, which is clear since they are not wearing many clothes. Their features are hard to make out, though, as each is veiled.

A lean man with black lenses over his eyes and an upturned U for a mouth, clad in a garment of grey silk and a cloak that is mottled like a moth’s wings. He carries a long silver wand that he slaps on his thigh as he walks.

The herald goes and speaks quietly to the barman, and there is an immediate response, as food and drink start to appear and be served, first to the Prince, then to the others in order of rank. The man in the grey silk with the strange features directs the order in which people are served.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Turning to Reshad, I do not recall him from anywhere. I wonder what this has to do with us ?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

”I have a feeling he is about to tell us. Once all the pomp and circumstance is dispensed with.”
    I like the globe warm...

10. - Top - End - #10

Yedra stifles a smile at the pompous entrance of yet another noble with overly inflated self-importance.

Still, she never underestimates a potential opponent - nor a troublesome ally -, so after flashing a quick hand-sign to the party she heads towards the entrance and comes to a stop next to it. That way the group cannot be subjected to a single blast. (If the newcomers attempt to stop her she simply teleports behind them via her mystic martial powers.)

"We're listening, Prince. Or is it Your Highness?"

She keeps an eye on her friends to see if someone has intelligence to share.
    To her, people hiding their faces, in particular their eyes, is especially evocative of the Drow - not a good omen.

She has decided she'll target the wand-wielding man if it comes to a fight. This does not mean she goes looking for conflict, but those automated mental processes and tactics are the result of her years of training and battle.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Reshad’s eyes narrowed slightly as he watched Yedra position herself near the door, had he missed something?

He casually set his drink on the table and adjusted himself in the chair. A coin seemed to come from nowhere in history hand and started making its way across his the back of his hand over his fingers. A signal he had used in the past for everyone to remain calm.

If they remembered it, that is.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2024-04-22 at 06:04 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Krag's flinty gaze passed coolly over the peacock princeling to examine his entourage with much more interest. His companions had their eyes on the Prince, and he'd learned through hard experience to be wary of distracting displays. He also didn't need Reshad's signal to remind him to remain calm—not at the moment, at least. None of this lot had done anything to earn his ire, yet.

At the end of the last war, most folk dealt with their grief, rebuilt, and a fair number believed that a lasting peace with the Drow might be possible with the Abyssal Altar destroyed. Krag was both the type to hold a grudge, and a true believer in vigilance. He busied himself with keeping as close an eye as he could on the Drow, trying to gauge if and when they may threaten the surface once again—whether through a remade Abyssal Altar, or by their natural subterfuge and the force of arms that they still possessed in dangerous quantity.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The man with the wand takes a step forward and announces, "The Prince should be referred to as Your Highness."

He then coughs slightly, and gestures at someone at the door, who heads outside and returns a moment later bearing a beautiful sculpture of a tiger made from ebony overlaid with gold, so that the stripes of black wood and golden metal create the effect of a tiger’s markings.

"His Highness brings a gift to present to your august personages," the wand-wielding figure says to the Starborn present.

You all recognise the principality the Prince comes from, and you are at least vaguely aware of his name. His people were allies in the war with the drow.

The wand-wielder then returns to a more normal tone of voice. "My humble self is known as Mal'Rannuz, and I am His Highness's majordomo," he says.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

”It would seem you are already aware of who we are. How may we be of service, major?”. Reshad spoke to the major but his eyes never left the prince. He knew the others were watching the rest. These may have been allies in the past but that was the past wasn’t it? Never trust a royal.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2024-04-23 at 06:53 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Well I for one would like to hear this directly from his royal haughty-(hotty)-ness. No offense to the major.

16. - Top - End - #16

"We thank his Highness for the gift, but surely you must know what we Starborn are not bought."

She can certainly admire the beauty and craftsmanship of the sculpture, but she also finds it impractical. She's not aware that any of her companions has just spent the last year indulging life and starting their own private collection - though it would certainly be well-deserved.
    And couldn't the money have gone to worthier causes?

"Indeed, let's cut to the chase" she concludes, echoing her companions.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos, disheveled, slightly dirt smeared and with only a pair of trousers and a light cape lounges at ease, his staff propped against his chair as he looks at the others with a wry smile. "His highness is kind but my coin can go to a poor house or kitchen. I have no need of many worldly things" he adds the latter with a nod at his ragged shoes and tattered cape. "But if you speak of the war resuming, of danger fostered by the horrid drow then you have my full attention. I have walked for decades in glen, wood and hill, I have scoured the realm for the dark elves. "

He stands and paces slightly, twitched and angry at the thought of the drow before he whips round, his slightly tilted eyes fixing the strangely armoured figures, "Out with it. "
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Prince himself speaks up at the varied responses that mostly tend to the positive. "Please do not take offense, my friends. The statuette is merely a token of appreciation for your work, one esteemed being to others of similar rank."

He leans forward in his seat, as it becomes clear to him that small talk is neither needed nor appreciated.

"You may know that in the land of Kahoor, in the principality of Jasmal over which I reign, there is a beast more great and terrible than any other on Ashfar. It is the Royal Beast, the ancient ravager of kingdoms. No warrior has ever prevailed against it, for its hide is stronger than steel and its maw has devoured armies."

As the Prince speaks, you get the feeling that he is rather proud of this beast, as if it were somehow a national mascot.

"The Royal Beast slumbers for centuries, then when it awakens, it ravages the land. We propitiate it with offerings – cattle, barrels of good wine, unwed maidens – which it devours, and when it has eaten it returns to its lair. This is the way it has always been. We have not sought to slay it, for legends say that it cannot be killed. Our scholars predict its awakenings. We know when to expect it to arise, so we have many months to prepare the offerings. The beast’s appetite is terrific, so such lengthy preparation is absolutely
    necessary. "

"We know not why, but the Royal Beast has awoken early. There is no offering. The Beast has become enraged and is turning Jasmal into a wasteland. You will know that Kahoor is a mighty kingdom of fierce warriors who know no fear. Many of our finest have ridden out to confront the Beast but when they attempt to slow its progress or turn it back to its lair, it pays them no heed or devours them before they can even make a dint in the creature’s hide. Thus it is that we turn to you."

"We have heard the tales of your stand against the dark ones. Our minstrels have made tales of you. Artists have rendered your likenesses in carpets that hang on the walls of the most exclusive spice-houses. Even His Celestial Eminence, King Parhay the Thirty-First, has spoken your names in the Hall of Ancestry and burned olibanum in your honour on the Feast of the Nine Orbs. We need champions. We need heroes"
    Last edited by paradox26; 2024-04-28 at 06:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well I, for one, am interested in the challenge this presents. A why, a how and a task. Count me in."
    I like the globe warm...

20. - Top - End - #20

"The Starborn are here to oppose the Dark" Yedra states flatly... then her mouth quirks in a kind smile - even a straightforward warrior can enjoy a little misdirection from time to time. "But I almost never refuse lending a hand when so many lives are at stake, and I am in a unique position to help.

My blade and my mind are yours.
    "
    The latter is a ritual sentence associated with her position as a Blademind of the Synads.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"You never know, Yedra, this could be the work of the drow or the Dark. Cause chaos, sewing destruction, it follows their patterns. Reshad pauses before continuing, "Or it could be the thing just woke up early."
    I like the globe warm...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

First allow me to speak for my comrades, this statue you present as a gift to us, give it to the church the wealth it can bring will benefit those less fortunate.

Now as to this Royal Beast, where is it currently ?
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-04-28 at 08:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos pauses and considers the news. ”The Royal Beast is a thing of true horror. If left unchecked it will devastate most of the continent.” He stands a little formally and nods his head, “I will assist you, but I do not need your tokens, have them given to the poor or distributed to your farmers.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Prince nods his acquiescence to the offer. "The token is your to distribute as you see fit. I accept the nobility of your gift and will have my people distribute it to the poor," he says.

He then answers the question of the Beast's location by saying, It has been terrorising the area around the village of Zubunti. If you travel there you can speak to the locals to find better directions to the Beast."

You think back over your knowledge of the past and of nature, and a name comes to mind for most of you, a name attached by others to the Royal Beast. It is a name which will strike fear into the hearts of the boldest.

Tarrasque.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the creatures identity dawns on Reshad his eyes widen a bit. He says to the other Starborn ”Even for us this will be no easy task. However we should try and move quickly to limit the things destructive run. I don’t recall that is ever stops other than to gorge itself and hibernate. Do we have a way to get there quickly?”
    I like the globe warm...

26. - Top - End - #26

"If I recall, fast transportation was usually provided by Krag if he knew the place already, or Ivory or Kurnos if we didn't." Yedra muses, tapping her lower lip with one finger.
    "It might have to wait the morrow if they didn't anticipate this need, and how could they?"

Destiny knows what it's doing, for it assembled Starborn with complementary abilities. Yedra is thankful for the mutual support they provide each other.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just venturing a guess here - Teleport/Greater Teleport for arcane or Wind Walk for divine.

I'm assuming the place is far enough that it doesn't make sense to just fly or gallop there in a few hours.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Immediatly upon learning/realizing the name of the royal beast as Tarrasque

Ivory will cast Scry Location targeting the area around the village of Zubunti

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Krag turned his gaze on the Prince, now that he'd studied each member of his entourage in turn. He would have to remind his companions that refusal of a diplomatic gift was typically considered rude, but the Prince had handled things tactfully. He really did need their help, after all.

"Aye, we can go straight away. I need only a well-detailed description of the village to bring us there, and Ivory can usually provide one if none present know it by memory." His tone was conversational enough, but his accent and the timbre of his voice lent a hard edge to every word. "Before we do—it's said this Beast can't be killed, and no warrior or army has been able to stop it. What else has been tried? Has some mage attempted to put the thing back to sleep, or seal it away, for example?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2024-05-02 at 12:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

”A beast of legend, a beast released by the gods themselves.” He will shake his head sadly and then nod at Ivory and Krag. “Good we can step there today, a wisdom you show in your selection of magics today.”

He’ll step up and look at the others clearly ready to move out