New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Good Modules For 4E

Especially any available on DriveThruRPG, since I really don't want to have to track down physical copies from this system.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Good Modules For 4E

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Especially any available on DriveThruRPG, since I really don't want to have to track down physical copies from this system.
    If you started gaming early enough to use the word "module" to signify an adventure, you probably aren't going to be happy.

Modules that I consider salvageable include:

• Madness at Gardmore Abbey
    • Dead by Dawn (Dungeon 176)
    • Last Breaths of Ashenport (Dungeon 156)
    • Rescue at Rivenroar (Dungeon 156) and the Lost Mines of Karak (Dungeon 159), but only if you can find a way to divorce them from their adventure path.
    • Reavers of Harkenwald
    • Keep on the Shadowfell, possibly remixed as discussed on the Alexandrian (if that page is still up).

The common denominator for me is that, with all of these, it's possible to de-linearize them without a lot of reworking. But I run a pretty sandboxy game, and I'm making some assumptions about your preferences based on that use of the word "module". If you like 3e modules in general, then you may enjoy 4e modules more than I do. If you prefer Basic or 1e modules written before 1984, you might prefer to convert those.
    Last edited by Beoric; 2024-04-15 at 10:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you hack the social SC with the dragon in The Slaying Stone (it's a trap and a total dead end if you fail) into some generic RP, it's a pretty fun nonlinear experience.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    If you hack the social SC with the dragon in The Slaying Stone (it's a trap and a total dead end if you fail) into some generic RP, it's a pretty fun nonlinear experience.
    I forgot about that one. Having an area map makes it a lot easier to fix. When I scan an adventure to see if it will be worth running, the first thing I look at its the map; if it isn't possible to travel in a non-linear fashion, I give it a miss.

That includes mainly social adventures, it's just harder to spot. There needs to be room for players to go anywhere they want in the social "landscape."

EDIT: The Slaying Stone suffers because the dragon lacks a lair map, which makes it harder to adjudicate if players look for a non-social solution that may depend on the physical space (like stealing the map, for example). Having a generic dragon lair map handy might be useful.
    Last edited by Beoric; 2024-04-15 at 10:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Stealth could theoretically be handled with an SC as well, but the real problem with The Slaying Stone is that the dragon is a non-diegetic bottleneck with nonsense motivations. The PCs want the slaying stone because it's an artifact of great and terrible power that should not fall into the hands of evil... but there's a dragon guarding the thing! There are a bunch of angles on this that don't make sense:
    • The dragon could just take the stone and leave, since it has no loot otherwise. The dragon doesn't want to do this for... plot handwaving reasons.
    • The dragon could use it on a squirrel or something and void the stone of its magic. The dragon doesn't want to do this either, even though it would be very easy.
    • The dragon can't be stolen from because the SC doesn't support stealing.
    • The dragon can't be fought because the designers didn't think to include a battle map & stat block.
    • The SC can't be circumvented by having the brass dragon leave to meet Treona, or by sneaking Treona in to town, because the designers didn't consider that.
    • If motivated to protect the world from the stone (instead of by the XP hook at the start of the adventure), the PCs can say "oh cool a badass dragon is handling this" and just dip.

The PCs must have the stone for the plot to progress. Nothing else in the book makes sense if they don't have it. So this bottleneck needs to be extremely robust. Ideally everything should point to a neon sign saying "TAKE THE ROCK ASAP OR ELSE THE BAD GUYS WILL GET IT".

IME it will be enough to have the brass dragon be wounded and desperate, hiding from the various hunting parties here. Flip this scene on its head and have the brass dragon beg the PCs to take the stone.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

[*] The dragon can't be stolen from because the SC doesn't support stealing.[*] The dragon can't be fought because the designers didn't think to include a battle map & stat block.[*] The SC can't be circumvented by having the brass dragon leave to meet Treona, or by sneaking Treona in to town, because the designers didn't consider that.
    LOL, that ties in great with the recent thread on why every 4E player ever totally loves SCs
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    For one shots, you might take a look at some FourthCore stuff... all free.

Fane of the Heresiarch was great fun, I still tell stories about it.

I think I also played Crucible of the Gods.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    LOL, that ties in great with the recent thread on why every 4E player ever totally loves SCs
    Yeah, there was a particular example from this SC that I thought about posting in the other thread. But I didn't actually want to start that argument again.

The PCs must have the stone for the plot to progress. Nothing else in the book makes sense if they don't have it. So this bottleneck needs to be extremely robust. Ideally everything should point to a neon sign saying "TAKE THE ROCK ASAP OR ELSE THE BAD GUYS WILL GET IT".
    I actually think it is good that there is a possibility of failure. I just think failing a lame-ass SC would be a lousy way to fail the adventure. It's just a "roll to continue" skill check, with more rolls. For something this important, the players need a lot more flexibility in how they can approach the situation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

In addition to the things people have mentioned, Some Assembly Required is a lot of fun (Dungeon 208), and designed for low level adventurers

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I second Madness at Gardmore Abbey. I'd even love a 5e adaptation of that.

The Scales of War adventure path (goes from 1-30) has some really good modules. Someone them, especially at the start, are pretty generic D&D fare, but there's some really good stuff in the Paragon and Epic tiers.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm personally fond of the Loudwater story (levels 1-3) from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

I'm actually running it as a 1-10 campaign for some friends, extending the Yuan-ti kidnapping plot.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

During my brief stint with 4e the ones I found to be the best were Scales of War and Keep on the Shadowfell.

Ran slaying stone as well but don’t remember much of it other than I ran into some of what the other above mentioned but my group is good about not thinking too much into things when it’s a shorter module and not a long term campaign.
    Last edited by Ozreth; 2024-04-25 at 01:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    During my brief stint with 4e the ones I found to be the best were Scales of War and Keep on the Shadowfell.
    Really? I have never run nor played "Keep..." but I have never before heard anyone who has say anything good about it at all!
    (He/him or they/them)