New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Pathfinder 1e Question about reach spells with cleric's spontaneous cure spells

Hi all,

I am wondering how this worked, as I do not want to feel like I am playing this wrong.
    I am playing a cleric with the Reach spell meta magic feat. If I want to cast if a spontaneous cure mod wounds and want to use it as close range, does it use up a 2nd level spell slot, as it is a second level spell, and a level 3 slot as it needs to be pushed up a level, does it use both a level 2 & level 3 spell slot, or just a level 3 slot as it is changing a spell spontaneously?

I am going to presume, any normal casting of cures, would need to me prayed for at that slot level, eg, a normal casting of Cure Mod, would be saved under the meta magic feat as a 3rd level slot.

I am not sure if I am doing this correct, and I do not want to cheat, because I could not wrap my head around this.

Thanks in advanced

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Pathfinder 1e Question about reach spells with cleric's spontaneous cure spells

My ruling would be that it would be a 3rd level slot. You're casting a 2nd level spell, using a metamagic that increases the range to close and the slot by +1. Ergo, 3rd level slot, assuming metamagic can apply to spontaneously cast cures (which I would allow).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder 1e Question about reach spells with cleric's spontaneous cure spells

Quote Originally Posted by Scottlang View Post
    does it use both a level 2 & level 3 spell slot, or just a level 3 slot as it is changing a spell spontaneously?
    You never spend two slots for one spell.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

one third level slot would be expended.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.