New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Post Becoming Undead somehow as a Necromancer Wizard

I'm playing a level 9 Necromancer and I would like to become undead somehow. Preferrably by my own hands so I can get the juicy bonuses of my Necromancer specialty/feats.
    I was looking into Magic Jar shenanigans and found this thread: https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=14248.0
    my GM and were not sure that it would work out they way he planned it, is there any merit to it?
    Or should I look into just using Magic Jar on 1 of my undeads and getting carried in a backpack? Or hollowing a Zombie to go inside Ironman style

I would prefer the permanent way otherwise I can live with a magic jar temporary solution.

I have looked into later on maybe doing Contingency Create Undead Corpse/Bone Creature but it is la+2 which is kinda iffy.
    I have looked into Necropolitan, my GM ok'ed using a Wish to let me animate myself as necropolitan paying all the gold+experience and level loss ofc.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Becoming Undead somehow as a Necromancer Wizard

Clerics of Bane with the right Initiate feat can cast Undeath After Death, which turns any target into a Crypt Spawn upon death. It's a pretty basic template, just undead type, +4 intimidate, +2 turn resistance, some natural armor. It's +2 LA, but in my personal opinion it should be more than fine at +1.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It's kind of expensive, but get to 11th level and become a lich.

This situation is exactly what the lich template is for.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'd second the Lich suggestion. In my personal experience, Liches are more then worth the LA.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

yea I guess lich is always an option later on :)
    But la +4 is brutal you wont level up after applying it pretty much

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Take Dread Necromancer class . You become a lich later on .

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwampy View Post
    Take Dread Necromancer class . You become a lich later on .
    ...at level 20, yeah. It's not a practical solution for a currently-existing wizard unless you want to rebuild.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Clerics of Bane with the right Initiate feat can cast Undeath After Death, which turns any target into a Crypt Spawn upon death. It's a pretty basic template, just undead type, +4 intimidate, +2 turn resistance, some natural armor. It's +2 LA, but in my personal opinion it should be more than fine at +1.
    If that's literally all it gives, imo, it's not even worth +1. That's weaksauce.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    If that's literally all it gives, imo, it's not even worth +1. That's weaksauce.
    It's really awkward for sure - +0 would be most balanced but it'd also be, y'know, a freebie, and I get why a table might not like undeath and some bonuses as a freebie. The best solution would probably be to buff the template a little and then put it at +1.

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from Necropolitan, you might consider alternating savage progression Lich and level buyoff. You need caster level 11 spells, which is generally substantially easier than character level 11.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    It's really awkward for sure - +0 would be most balanced but it'd also be, y'know, a freebie, and I get why a table might not like undeath and some bonuses as a freebie. The best solution would probably be to buff the template a little and then put it at +1.
    Ghostwalk includes Mumia template (not to be confused with Mummy or Mummified Creature)
    Besides the obligatory "Undead Traits", it change racial HD to d12, +3 natural AC, Withering Touch (Fort save or 2 Con damage), fast healing 2, and +2 turn resistance
    It's LA +0
    Applying it to yourself may be a bit problematic -
    a profane ritual in which its organs are removed and preserved, the flesh is slathered in unholy ointment, and the blood is replaced with strange ichor. Often, the corpse is wrapped in treated cloth or strips of leather.
    - so, maybe, use projection of some kind?..

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going to do the Magic Jar trick, making your body a zombie with the fast, undying, and hunting variants on LM p173 would work.

If you're going with Necropolitan, I would think something as powerful as a Wish would cover the gp loss and even avoid the level loss. You could use a Thought Bottle (CA) to reduce the lost level to just a 500 xp cost.

In any case, definitely apply the Spellstitched (CA) template to yourself afterward.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Libris Mortis has the Necropolitan 0 LA template. You could be a Gray Elf with the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat and get +INT instead of +CON/+CHA HP per HD. Bring your own source of reliable healing, like Martial Study (Martial Spirit stance).

Savage progression Lich is plausibly worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I think you overthinking this . Buy your DM a cheeseburger and a cola .

And discuss with him on how to get yourself a DM special undead morph weaved into your next sessions story

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Ghostwalk includes Mumia template (not to be confused with Mummy or Mummified Creature)
    Besides the obligatory "Undead Traits", it change racial HD to d12, +3 natural AC, Withering Touch (Fort save or 2 Con damage), fast healing 2, and +2 turn resistance
    It's LA +0
    Applying it to yourself may be a bit problematic -

- so, maybe, use projection of some kind?..
    hmm I dont see the LA +0 anywhere but what I do see is in the Update Booklet for Ghostwalk the listed Sample Creature has Level Adjustment: -

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    If you're going to do the Magic Jar trick, making your body a zombie with the fast, undying, and hunting variants on LM p173 would work.

If you're going with Necropolitan, I would think something as powerful as a Wish would cover the gp loss and even avoid the level loss. You could use a Thought Bottle (CA) to reduce the lost level to just a 500 xp cost.

In any case, definitely apply the Spellstitched (CA) template to yourself afterward.
    Do you think the trick works from this post?
    https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=14248.0

Also the zombie variants can you make those kind of zombies with Animate Dead?
    Thank you in advance :D

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Do you think the trick works from this post?
    https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=14248.0

Also the zombie variants can you make those kind of zombies with Animate Dead?
    Thank you in advance :D
    Both answers are entirely up to your DM.

If it were me running the game, I'd say sure on the Magic Jar trick as long as it was a mindless undead.

If I were DMing and someone wanted to make special zombies, I'd just make the Animate Dead spell require additional special components. That would be several whole side-quests to first gain the knowledge of how to do it, then more to obtain the materials.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    hmm I dont see the LA +0 anywhere but what I do see is in the Update Booklet for Ghostwalk the listed Sample Creature has Level Adjustment: -
    The "Sample Creature" in question is Medusa - they have "Level Adjustment: -" by default
    (unless we using the "Monster ECLs" table from Dragon #293, or rules from the Savage Species - for both of those Medusa is ECL 10)

Otherwise, let me remind the general rule for Templates:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Generally, if a template does not cause a change to a certain statistic, that entry is missing from the template description. For clarity, the entry for a statistic or attribute that is not changed is sometimes given as "Same as the base creature."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    The "Sample Creature" in question is Medusa - they have "Level Adjustment: -" by default
    (unless we using the "Monster ECLs" table from Dragon #293, or rules from the Savage Species - for both of those Medusa is ECL 10)

Otherwise, let me remind the general rule for Templates:
    Obviously not relevant back when ghostwalk was printed, but the most recent printing for medusa LA (Player's Guide to Eberron, page 53) lists it as +4...

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

IIRC, any cleric that has access to [Evil] spells can cast it - Bane's just the SOB that came up with the spell. A Dread Necromancer should be able to acquire it.

Combined with the various undead-augmenting feats you can get from Libris Mortis and the Dread Necromancer's own inherent abilities therein... you become something very fun indeed. And requires less rules-lawyering than trying the same with the Necropolitan template.

Convincing the party fighter to beat you to death in the radius of an Unhallowed area might be a bit of a chore, though.
    Last edited by atemu1234; 2024-04-27 at 06:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.