New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Fighter/Artificer (Thunder Gauntlet focused) build (suggestions appreciated)

Had an idea to build a Thunder Gauntlet-using character, inspired mainly by Velvet from Bofuri and Subaru from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. The group I'm with plays mainly one-shots, usually at either 5th or 9th level. I've built her at 9th level (for a 5th level game I'd probably go straight Artificer). Wondering if anyone here could give the character a look-over and make suggestions.

Variant Human Artificer (Armorer) 3/Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 6, Background: Soldier

Str 13
    Dex 10
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 10
    Cha 8

Skills: Arcana +8, Athletics +5, Intimidation +3, Investigation +8, Perception +4

Feats: Dual Wielder, Telekinetic (+1 Int), Fey Touched (+1 Int)
    Fighting Style: Two Weapon Fighting
    Armor Model: Guardian

Spells:
    Cantrips: Mage Hand, Guidance, Toll The Dead, Booming Blade
    1st Level: Magic Missile, Thunderwave, Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Disguise Self, Alarm, Grease, Shield, Chromatic Orb, Earth Tremor, Longstrider
    2nd: Misty Step (from Fey Touched)
    Last edited by Laevatein; 2024-04-29 at 03:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Fighter/Artificer (Thunder Gauntlet focused) build (suggestions appreciated)

I think a common item to consider is mobile as a feat for this build.

This is ideal for situations where you want to “tag” two or more targets without taking extra opportunity attacks.

This one is more controversial but I’d also consider mixing blind fight and fog cloud instead of two weapon fighting. Fact is this is a support class, and that extra 4-5 damage per round isn’t bad or anything, but you can do a lot of unexpected things with blind fight, fog cloud is my go-to on demand, it upcasts amazingly, a level 2 will often cover an entire “battlefield”.

That said I don’t love EK. It’s fine. It fits the theme for sure and the stat mix is good for you, but it really just adds some extra spells known and spells per rest and two upcast first level spells. That’s fine, again, but if you really want to add some cheese you could consider echo knight. Since your echo can trigger the gauntlet effect it certainly frees up mobile feat. Swap around a spell caster feat (or be an elf) to get booming blade and war caster and you are suddenly a very challenging target to get away from. Sentinel also works but is less on theme imo.

The other route is rune knight. This fits the whole magic item artificer theme as well and gives you two spell like abilities and two passive bonuses (instead of the extra spells). Plus becoming a large creature sometimes.

It’s a mixed blessing to be large, but it means you can threaten more squares.

I’d caution this in general with the build you have, and I want to be clear I think it’s a-ok as you laid it out, but you are going to be the target A LOT. And your AC isn’t going to be top end without a shield or defense fighting style. The moment you tag someone they’ll probably just focus you instead of other targets. That’s obviously good, but there just isn’t much here to protect you when that happens other than shield spells (and I’d make sure absorb elements is in there too). This is why echo knight is so powerful, as you can be 15ft away and give that extra buffer. Sure they may come after you but at least many enemies will suffer an opportunity attack to do it.

I guess what I’m saying is … be a centaur and get mobile and punch someone and run away… only half joking ;)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fighter/Artificer (Thunder Gauntlet focused) build (suggestions appreciated)

Bugbear works well with armorer as a whole so it would work here as well if your looking to turn TGs into an area type debuff.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

I think at 9th level you are beginning to hit the point where variant human starts to lose out to other races. The early feat makes it strong in the low level game but honestly by the time you get to 9th level some of your other options are stronger.

For example Eladrin would give you 4 fey step uses per day, they are not spells so you can combine them with spellcasting and they don't use a spell slot like Misty Step does after the first use. So you don't need Fey Touched and can take Elven Accuracy instead. The options here are very good - Winter is a great control option while Spring is fantastic if you are a tactical player who can make good use of positioning other members of the party.

You still have those other Elf advantages like bonus tool proficiency and Perception proficiency - not to mention the whole not really sleeping thing.

Now maybe go the Blind Fighting / Fog Cloud route to get that advantage on attacks. Mostly you can just walk away without needing any feat or trick but you have Fey Step for when you need it.

I could suggest other races but with your inspirations I would definitely limit myself the ones that can pull off the look that you are after.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Idk what optimization level this game is, but by my eye you're going in two different directions. Guardian model, but then TWF? I fear you're gonna end up merely OK at being tough and doing damage, and then getting smacked really hard because of thunder gauntlet.

If you're trying to tank, you should go for that. Defensive Fighting Style, a shield, the shield spell, and a good tanking race like earth genasi, goliath, shadar-kai, or one of the save-boosting races.

Or go githyanki, get the shield spell from that, and go straight artificer. Artificer 9 gets 3rd level spells, which is a pretty big deal.

Alternatively, use the Infiltrator Armor and be more of a striker. I'm totally unfamiliar with the character inspiration, so idk how much that's boxing you in.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Idk what optimization level this game is, but by my eye you're going in two different directions. Guardian model, but then TWF? I fear you're gonna end up merely OK at being tough and doing damage, and then getting smacked really hard because of thunder gauntlet.

If you're trying to tank, you should go for that. Defensive Fighting Style, a shield, the shield spell, and a good tanking race like earth genasi, goliath, shadar-kai, or one of the save-boosting races.

Or go githyanki, get the shield spell from that, and go straight artificer. Artificer 9 gets 3rd level spells, which is a pretty big deal.

Alternatively, use the Infiltrator Armor and be more of a striker. I'm totally unfamiliar with the character inspiration, so idk how much that's boxing you in.
    That would be my take as well. TWF costs you some AC and a feat, and I feel that you won't be able to use it that often (your Bonus Action is already spread kinda thin between Telekinetic, Misty Step, Second Wind and Protective Field, after all).

If you're intent on keeping the Fighter levels, I would personally favour Psi Warrior over Eldritch Knight (although Echo Knight is great as well). This enhances both your tanking and your damage output. The abilities scale with your Int and your proficiency bonus, so you could drop a couple more levels into Artificer and still get full benefits. Not to mention, a Githyanki Psi Warrior would be very flavourful !

As for the Artificer side of your build, I think there's one area you could optimize that haven't been mentioned yet : Infusions ! I'm not familiar with the characters you draw inspiration from, but there are some great choices even at level 2 :

• Replicate Magic Item (Spellwrought Tattoos) allow you to gain one cast of any 1st-level spell in the game, or grant it to an ally. This could be Gift of Alacrity, Find Familiar, Healing Word, Bless, Silvery Barbs, Dissonant Whispers, Hex... You've got a ton of options to boost yourself or your party.
    • The ol’ Enhance X is always reliable, and could partly offset a 18 INT, if you end up going another route with your feats.
    • I personally got a lot of use out of Homonculus Servant (albeit mine is using a Wand of Magic Missile). You can use it to scout or distribute health potions to downed allies. His ranged attack will also be a consistent (if modest) boost to your damage. Be aware that it requires your Bonus Action, though ; skip this one if your core build stays the same.
    • Armor of Magical Strength is nice if (and only if) you intend to Grapple (which could be viable since you took proficiency in Athletics).
    • Then there are the ones that you could give to your allies if you're so inclined : for exemple, Mind Sharpener could help a Druid maintain his Concentration at a crucial time, Returning Weapon is perfect from a mobility-challenged Paladin, etc. The perfect fit all depends on your party composition and playstyle (and your own willingness to part with an Infusion, of course).
    • If you go Artificer 6 / Fighter 3, you could take Pipes of Haunting, a thoroughly amazing control option which can make or break fights in my experience. (You would need to get proficiency in wind instruments, though.)

Another thing is what spell to pair with Misty Step for Fey-Touched. I'm partial to Bless, as it can last you for a whole fight, helps you land your Thunder Gauntlets attacks, and makes your whole party stronger. Just an overall strong pick. Gift of Alacrity is fantastic, of course (you can cast it for free on yourself, then buff your allies as well), and Silvery Barbs is hated for a reason. If you have a party with strong Opportunity Attacks (like a Paladin, a Rogue, a caster with Warcaster...), I would give Dissonant Whispers a go.

Your spell list is fine, but in my opinion you have better options than Chromatic Orb (which is somewhat redundant with Magic Missile) and Earth Tremor (cool flavor, undertuned spell).

For this level, I would consider Absorb Elements and Sanctuary, especially if you intend to play as a tank. The former wards you against elemental damage (which is not uncommon at level 9) and the later gives valuable protection to you or an endangered ally, while keeping your Concentration free. It can be a powerful defense at low cost, although you should keep an eye on Initiative in order to use if to full effect.

If you change you split to 5/4 or 6/3, this opens up 2nd-level Artificer spells ! This is a big deal : you get potent control options like Web or Pyrotechnics, versatile buffs (Enhance Ability, Enlarge/Reduce), useful seatbealts spells any party will be grateful for (Rope Trick, Aid, Lesser Restoration), solid damage with Heat Metal, a mobility option in Vortex Warp, etc. Even if you only get to pick one or two of these, I would say that taking a few more Artificer levels is worth it (and you get Extra Attack anyway).

All in all, I believe something like a Githyianki Psi Warrior 4 / Artificer 5 would work pretty well for your purposes, without straying too much from your initial build. Hope this helps !
    Last edited by Thesta; 2024-05-01 at 01:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well since the TG debuff is doing the heavy lifting you don't actually need to also take a ton of unnecessary attacks yourself. 19-20 AC and fairly cheap thp spam is solid for a mid liner and that's not accounting for pipe of haunting and other infusions and spells adding additional mitigation. The battle smith is probably a stronger general option but if your party is already bringing damage you can focus on being annoying. Shines on larger parties where the smith does better when the extra body is needed more.

Damage is low but it's also nice that you don't need to worry about juggling tools to cast nor do you have a subclass feature that feeds of spell slots so you can toss around those a little more freely.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Well since the TG debuff is doing the heavy lifting you don't actually need to also take a ton of unnecessary attacks yourself. 19-20 AC and fairly cheap thp spam is solid for a mid liner and that's not accounting for pipe of haunting and other infusions and spells adding additional mitigation. The battle smith is probably a stronger general option but if your party is already bringing damage you can focus on being annoying. Shines on larger parties where the smith does better when the extra body is needed more.

Damage is low but it's also nice that you don't need to worry about juggling tools to cast nor do you have a subclass feature that feeds of spell slots so you can toss around those a little more freely.
    TG doesn't protect the user; the debuff applies to everyone but you.* It makes it very likely the artificer will get targeted. IMO getting the shield spell is practically required to use the Guardian armor.

*Can I note that trying to imagine what this ability looks like in the game drives me crazy? Along with basically everything the artificer does. Magic but actually tools well it's kinda tool magic but not really it's just magic class.

9. - Top - End - #9

TG doesn't protect the user; the debuff applies to everyone but you.* It makes it very likely the artificer will get targeted. IMO getting the shield spell is practically required to use the Guardian armor.

*Can I note that trying to imagine what this ability looks like in the game drives me crazy? Along with basically everything the artificer does. Magic but actually tools well it's kinda tool magic but not really it's just magic class.
    That's why bugbear makes such a great armorer. Fly around tagging everything and bait then to come after you. If they do you have buckets of options to lock them out of position.
    Shield is nice but by the time you'd start making it worth while you have FoG that is generally a much more important reaction to keep handy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If you dont want to take Mobile you can use the boots of the winding path to BA teleport yourself back away from whoever you approach. Just be careful that you cant use that and the guardian THP on the same turn.

Also seconding battlemaster over EK if you're putting in 3+ levels after you hit artificer 5.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2024-05-01 at 07:50 PM.