New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Do female adventurers make any sense?

Recently, a few materials I have stumbled upon made me think - do females adventuring makes any sense at all in a generic dnd setting? Adventuring is a very dangerous business - its constant exposure to killing and a good chance of being killed, a good chance to develop all sorts of mental disorders (PTSD...) and in case of being captured, being exposed to torture, possibly sexual violence and death. Why would any sane girl or woman do it?

Things that made me think was an analysis of violence in Goblin slayer anime (yeah, THAT scene), an analysis of what would adventuring be like for adventurers (mentioned above) and the fact that most dangerous jobs are almost exclusively done by males. And adventuring is not oil-rig work, construction or underwater welding. Its more akin to mercenary work where all mentioned harms are a real option. Heck, societies have since time immemorial decided it will be men that will be sent to war. You send in the expendables, not the most biologically valuable part of the society.

So, those female barbarians... should they be a rarity, an oddity - few and far between or... what am I missing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Do female adventurers make any sense?

I question the assumption here that male adventurers aren't insane.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

You should probably check your assumption that sexual violence in conflict and captivity is something that happens only to women. It isn't and never has been.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Joke, right? Troll?

Over/under on posts to thread lock?

Let me flip this question...look at lions and orca. Females are smaller and "weaker" than males. I'd call them adventurers!

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does a generic D&D setting make any sense? No.

Let's just play with our toys in peace.

inb4 thread gets pruned.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Recently, a few materials I have stumbled upon made me think - do females adventuring makes any sense at all in a generic dnd setting? Adventuring is a very dangerous business - its constant exposure to killing and a good chance of being killed, a good chance to develop all sorts of mental disorders (PTSD...) and in case of being captured, being exposed to torture, possibly sexual violence and death. Why would any sane girl or woman do it?
    Men who choose or are forced to become adventurers are just as likely to see deaths, have to inflict death, or be killed, and are just as likely to be captured, tortured and sexually assaulted.

So are agender or gender-fluid adventurers.

Things that made me think was an analysis of violence in Goblin slayer anime (yeah, THAT scene)
    The only reason Goblin Slayer had that was for cheap outrage and sexual assault fetishism (because yes, some people find those scenes arousing).

You send in the expendables, not the most biologically valuable part of the society.
    There is no such thing as a "biologically valuable" part of society.

So, those female barbarians... should they be a rarity, an oddity - few and far between or... what am I missing?
    Have you seen the "Conan the Barbarian" movie?

(trigger warning)
    Conan is captured as a child, enslaved, tortured until his late teens, forced to fight and kill to survive, and then made to impregnate women because he's been deemed "good breeding stock" and the people enslaving him want more slaves with his prodigious strength and endurance.

Being made to procreate while in captivity so that your kids can be valuable slaves is a form of sexual assault.

(Meanwhile, the last person who died trying to protect Conan, weapon in hand? A woman, his mother.)

Have you seen Avatar: the Last Airbender? Katara, being a girl from the Northern Water Tribe, needs to travel to the other side of the world in order to learn Waterbending, since all her Tribe's teachers were captured or killed decades ago. She goes on that adventure, fighting bad guys all the way, become a Waterbending Master, and help save the world from being conquered or burned to the ground. During this adventure, Katara is captured several times.

And yet at *no* point does the possibility of her getting sexually assaulted is ever brought up or implied or even exist in proximity of the table.

So, this means that Conan, the 20-something mountain of a man who can easily kill someone barehanded, got raped, while Katara, the teenage woman who got imprisoned in ways that prevented her from using her water powers, wasn't.

Because Conanthe Barbarian is a violent movie for an adult public, while Avatar: The Last Airbender kept things PG despite its mature themes.

THAT is what you're missing. Sexual assault doesn't have to be a risk in your storyor at your gaming table. And if it is a risk, then it is a risk for everyone.

Also if you told Katara she shouldn't be an adventurer because she is a woman, not only she would punch you, but Conan would punch you too.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2024-05-07 at 01:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Ignoring the blatant sexism…

Adventurers in general do not make much sense from the point of view of a reasonable individual.
    Certainly not past the first big haul.

People risking everything to retire with a dragon’s hoard of gold? I’ll buy that.
    Continuing to adventure AFTER you have the hoard… you’re nuts.

But D&D and other TTRPGs aren’t meant to be realistic, they’re meant to be fun.
    And it’s fun. So that’s what we do.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I question the assumption here that male adventurers aren't insane.
    Basically this. Unless the adventurer has the proverbial tadpole stuck in their brain, going on adventure is not sane.

Edit- goes for any gender.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2024-05-07 at 02:18 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    There is no such thing as a "biologically valuable" part of society.
    In this context, I disagree.

Fertile females take 9 months to produce a baby.

Fertile males take about 9 seconds.

Objectively, if you are trying to grow / restore a population, you want a lot of fertile females and a few fertile males.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    If they're bad at it

More seriously, it's a fantasy. Let people have their thirsty sword lesbians if they want to. An entire class in D&D will lug a freaking pipe organ into the dungeon in order to fight better, the game isn't really on speaking terms with sense.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    In this context, I disagree.

Fertile females take 9 months to produce a baby.

Objectively, if you are trying to grow / restore a population, you want a lot of fertile females and a few fertile males.
    This is a myopic perspective on things. Let us please not wade into the swamp that is ascribing 'value' to elements of sexual dimorphism.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: No,this thread is not going to happen here.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1