New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

Matthew recognizes the livery as that of the city guard of Midford.

The ferryman unlocks the horsemen's raft and puts his horn to his lips.

Horseman
    "Yes, we now know it was the goblins that burned Fishleap Shallows, curse them. The Doge is dead? Perhaps we'll arrive there in time to persuade them to choose a new Doge who knows how to raise an army, and quickly. But first we must awaken Khorinis! Blow your horn, Ferryman."

2. - Top - End - #422

Default Matthew (Human, Illusionist)

Matthew tries to get one or all of the horsemen to delay and give him information about the state of the siege.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+0)[11]

We're heading to Midford. Who should we see about joining up? Give us a name we can use.

As for Bridgeport, talk to guildmaster Bruce Wrightson at the Adventurers' Guild. Ask him what he knows about the likely new Doge secretly stockpiling hundreds of weapons --- all sized for someone just three feet tall.

3. - Top - End - #423

The horseman raises a hand to the ferryman, making him pause just before he was about to blow his horn. He asks Matthew to repeat what he said and listens carefully to his words.

Horseman
    "Thanks for the information, lad. I'll look into it. But Midford is completely surrounded now. Someone set fire to our boats at night, and by morning goblins had chained the North River and the Timber, both north and south of the city. When the goblin army arrived from the east, the Guard had to keep people from fleeing by road because we knew they'd be cut down - even on horseback we narrowly got through, and I pray our team traveling north to Lauden was as fortunate."
    "If you're crazy enough to try to get into Midford, just tell any guardsman that you met Evan - that's me. But if you really want to help, you should cut across country from here to Fishleap Shallows. If there are any survivors, they'll need to be told not to flee to Midford. Here--"
    (He pulls out a knife and cuts a small silver badge from his horse's bridle and tosses it to Matthew.)
    "The crest of the Midford City Guard. Sometimes people need something more than just words; something they can see. You seem like good folk. Godspeed!"

He nods to the ferryman, who takes another deep breath and puts his lips to his horn...

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

The dwarf starts bounicing up and down slightly, obvious excitement over his face.

Ohh Goblins Goblins Goblins! I havent been in a proper war since back in the fortress! How I miss smashing skulls in. Are we going to war? Are we? Are we? Come on I want to fight!

He is now practically hopping from one foot to the other

5. - Top - End - #425

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Yeah goblins.... but to lay siege to a big walled city they'll probably have a bunch of stuff. Orcs, hobgoblins, wolves, bugbears, ogres... and most importantly someone in charge. Sounds like sophisticated tactics are being used. But how did someone pull together a large enough force without news of it getting out?

Matthew pulls out the goblins' animal-skin map.

Spoiler
    Show

The real map covers an area more to the East and shows Fishleap which is to the East of Midford along the river.

Our original goal was Fishleap Shallows, here. Matthew's finger hovers over the spot but he doesn't press down on to the map. I suppose we might as well still head there. It's still our best bet to pick up on the "power" and as good a place as any to fight goblins and find out what's behind their attack.

If Midford is under a siege sophisticated enough to have brought chains for the river we probably wouldn't get through, and if we did I don't think we'd be any help.

Problem: We'll have to go off the main roads to get to Fishleap now. I really don't want to risk getting lost with a hostile army around. I see two possible choices.

The first is to head due North along the main road here until we start to hit goblin scouts. They'll probably have a lot of small groups out scavenging for food to feed such a large army. We might capture a goblin or two and interrogate them. I doubt a scout would know much but it'd still be more than we know. Then we try to cut across country skirting Midford until we hit the North river. Once we are on that river we just follow it to Fishleap.

Second option is to head along the Harvest river here. We can get directions, or perhaps even a guide, to take us North to Fishleap across country from one of the villages along the Northern bank. We'll probably see action either way but that route avoids most of the goblin scouts. Plus... I can't help feeling it would be useful to know a few words of goblin and I'm guessing the locals out East might know some. Also we'll be able to warn those villages about the danger and see if they are safe to direct refugees towards.

Klesha, Verona... I don't suppose either of you speak any Goblin?

I guess I vote for the safer route. Vlax, I am guessing you're going to vote the other way?

6. - Top - End - #426
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Fin

Fin frowned as they were told what had happed, his 'mean right eye' opening for a moment as he looked down the river. He was really starting to hate goblins, he turns to Matthew "... Whatever rout you think be quicker gets my vote. Ya heard that Evan fellah: those folks need to be told what's going on before somebody gets killed heading to Midford. We best not waste time on it. If that means fighting through the damn critters I'm fine with it, fine with it it" he clenches his fist ".. but if the safe ways quicker that's the way"

7. - Top - End - #427

The direct route is faster so long as we don't get lost but do any of us have wilderness skills?

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

I'm no strnger to wilderness, but only in getting lost and wnadering. I can't navigate at all. If yer think avoiding goblins is best then I'll go with it

9. - Top - End - #429

Spoiler
    Show
    Oddly enough I think Berwin has Survival skills

Well I suppose if we all put our heads together we should be able to figure it out. Alright then let's go the direct route.

Come on then.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-04-22 at 07:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430

The adventurers leave the road and begin to cut across country, traveling Northeast towards Fishleap Shallows. It's easy traveling. The land is flat, with fields and pastures interspersed with thickets of weed-like cedars. As they get farther away from the river, they see fewer houses and people. When the sun starts to set, they find a small abandoned lean-to (not really big enough for more than two herdsman) and decide to stop and munch on some rations. Berwin finds a few wild strawberries. Though not very sustaining, the flavor is refreshing after the tough, dry trail food.
    The team takes advantage of the last of the sunlight to orient themselves and determine their direction of travel for the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just because I'm making it sound like you're about to break for the night and head directly for Fishleap Shallows doesn't mean you have to do that. You can continue in the dark and go wherever you want.

Either way I need somebody to make a Survival check for orienteering. No Taking 10 allowed, but all other party members may also roll to Aid Another. You must declare whether you are doing the primary roll or an Aid Another roll, but you do not have to wait for the primary to go ahead and roll, posting that you are assisting whoever is in charge of orienteering. Hopefully this will not take too long but it's also a good check to see who's still with us.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Spoiler
    Show
    Strangely I dont think I've ever rolled aid another before, what do you roll? Just a d20?

12. - Top - End - #432

Spoiler
    Show

Well I'm at -1 for survival so I suck.
    Aid other attempt - (1d20-1)[9]

13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooh a +1! survival (1d20+1)[16]

14. - Top - End - #434

Saklesha and Verona also put in their two pence, helping Berwin, who has the map.

Spoiler
    Show

Aid Another Survival Checks:
    Klesha - (1d20)[19]
    Verona - (1d20)[13]
    Survival Check:
    Berwin - (1d20+4)[19]

With the help of the others, Berwin picks the peak of a mountain just visible on the horizon.
    Berwin
    "If we had straight for that point, I think we should come to the North River less than a day's march west of Fishleap Shallows. I think we should err to the west so we don't miss the place, also so we'll have a better chance of finding refugees headed for Midford. About half the trip will be in the open, half in forest. Any other plans?"

Matthias
    "What do you think about splitting into two groups, one aiming a little further west than the other? We'd have a better chance of traveling undetected by goblins that way, and a better chance of warning more refugees."

Klesha
    "I won't leave my sister, but other than that, it's up to the rest of you."

As this option is discussed, the five adventurers and two former prisoners pull out their bedrolls and build a small fire, just enough for a little light, surrounding it with rocks higher than the flames to avoid notice. The adventurers also work out a watch schedule for the night - two people at a time, with the two sisters on separate watch shifts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Twenty days ago Hyperfreak said his computer had a virus and he wouldn't be posting much - that was the last we heard from him. Ubersquid and Bribri post from time to time but not dependably, which I believe is hurting Zyks and DavidByron's game. No hard feelings, that's the nature of PbP games. Perhaps Hyperfreak, Ubersquid, and Bribri would like to take a siesta from posting for a while and then be brought back into the game before the grand finale. I love Fin and Berwin's character (never really got to know Matthias) and would hate to lose them. Discuss in OOC thread please, and in 24 hrs we should have a decision and move on.

15. - Top - End - #435

The adventurers come to the decision to split into two groups: Matthew, Vlax, Klesha, and Verona will go as quickly as can be to Fishleap Shallows by heading straight for the mountain peak indicated by Berwin. Fin, Berwin, and Matthias will take a more westerly bearing, looking for any refugees closer to Midford, as well as getting eyes on Midford so they can inform the rest of the guild of the siege with firsthand knowledge.

The night passes without incident, and the adventurers (including Klesha and Verona) break camp at dawn. They wish each other farewell and good luck, and agree to meet back at the guildhall eventually.

Team Badger East sticks to its bearing toward the mountain religiously, not wishing to become lost without Berwin there to help them. They learn to distinguish it from the other peaks on the horizon by its oddly-shaped summit, which looks as if a piece of it was broken off in ancient times.

They travel by daylight, deciding their chances of eluding goblins and finding refugees are better when they can see. They talk little, focusing on their surroundings and on keeping one foot in front of the other. They pass through some thickets of trees, but never a wooded area large enough to truly be called a forest, refilling their waterskins at streams along the way.

After a few days without encountering man or goblin, the group emerges from yet another thickets at midmorning and hastily scans the grassland in front of them for friends or foes.

Klesha
    "See that shimmer? That's the North River in front of us, just three or four miles away.

Verona
    "Look at that!"

In the two o'clock direction, a column of smoke rises into the blue spring sky.

Klesha speaks, all personality suddenly gone from her voice.
    Klesha
    "That's Fishleap Shallows."

16. - Top - End - #436

You OK Klesha?

Spoiler
    Show
    BTW - on our map can we see if Fishleap is on the North or South bank?

I guess it could be Fishleap... but why are you so sure? They'd have attacked the place about a week ago.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-04-25 at 03:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437

Spoiler
    Show
    South bank on the map.

Klesha
    "There's not much smoke. And it's light grey. Means all the real flammable stuff is burnt already, and it's just the green stuff still smoldering. With the way people build out of wood and thatch here, I'd say this smoke is about a week old."

18. - Top - End - #438
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

So not much left of it eh? Well we'll find out soon enough if any scavengers are about. How long do you reckon until we can get there? Strange how we've met nobody on the way here too

19. - Top - End - #439

That was a pretty detailed analysis of what smoke from a burning town looks like. I wonder if Klesha has had a lot of opportunities to witness that before....

Well with the river ahead North and the smoke at that angle, the smoke would be about twice as far, or about seven miles. So we could walk it in two hours or pick up the pace and get there in just over an hour.

I guess it does seem a bit odd not meeting any goblins.

Maybe they've mostly moved on but if we go down there we might meet a squad. So we need to figure out now how many goblins we think we can take down so we know when to fight and when to avoid. We're down half our strength and the girls don't have any armor...

20. - Top - End - #440

Klesha
    "Well, your gnome friend didn't see fit to give us any weapons, and I'm not planning on attacking any goblins with my teeth!"

Verona (quietly, not to anyone in particular)
    "This grass is tall enough that goblins could be anywhere in it..."

21. - Top - End - #441

All I have with me is three daggers and of course the two cult daggers. You're welcome to arm yourself with one of mine if you'd prefer to not have anything to do with the ceremonial daggers again.

22. - Top - End - #442

Klesha
    "Actually, I wouldn't mind using one of the masterwork daggers. They're fine weapons, and I'd love to confront him with the very weapon he gave me!
    "And I suppose it's time we trust each other, since our lives may depend on it. I am a sorceress, but I don't think that will help us much because I don't have any of my materials or focuses - lost them all somehow back at Highburrow Hall."

Verona
    "Perhaps we can share."

With a quick flick of her wrists, two leather pouches unfold from her cuffed sleeves into her hands. She nimbly opens them with fingers of the same hand each pouch is in, revealing a glimpse of the many trinkets spellcasters use in their profession.

"You never know when it might be useful for an opponent to think you're defenseless."

Between Matthew and Verona's spell component kits, the team creates a third kit for Klesha, though she has to store it in fabric rather than leather pouches, which makes it vulnerable to fire and water.

Verona
    "And I'd like to have my masterwork dagger also - it's the one that has a small scratch on the hilt."

23. - Top - End - #443

You are both sorcerers? I've heard that you have to have the right ancestry to wield that kind of magic. That makes sense though, seeing as you are sisters. Here are your two daggers. If you can tell which is which....

If Matthew can see a scratch as described he will hand them to their correct owners.

I have a crossbow. Do either of you want a dagger for throwing? I think we'll be better off fighting at close range if it comes to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Matthew tries to see if he recognises any of the material components from the spells that he knows:
    Enlarge Person, Color Spray, True Strike, Hypnotism, Silent Image, Disguise Self, Sleep
    spellcraft to recognise materials - (1d20+6)[23]
    Or if it is knowledge: arcana instead then it's the same die roll.

OK then; I guess we might as well head on down there. Moving during the day has worked for us so far.

Matthew turns his attention towards his familiar in training.

Fi, I have an important job for you. There may be enemies in the long grass ahead of us. I want you to fly a little ahead of us, Matthew points towards the smoke, like you do when you are hungry and looking for food. If you see anyone in the grass ahead come right back and tell me. Don't go far!

Spoiler
    Show
    Raven statistics
    Listen +5, Spot+7
    Should I roll for her? I forgot what we said now.

There's some rules about familiars using their master's skill ranks but Matthew has none in Spot / Listen. By the look of it Raven's have Spot and Listen as class skills. A raven gets 1 rank in Listen and 3 in Spot at 1st level. Then Wis 14 and Alertness feat add +4 to both. If Matthew ever exceeds 1 rank in Listen and 3 in Spot Fi uses his ranks but her own +4 from Alertness and Wisdom. Not sure there's much reason beyond Listen/Spot to have a character sheet for Fiona so I made a note of her Listen/Spot on Matthew's sheet.

I assume Fi wouldn't normally go further than 1 mile from Matthew -- the range of their empathic link.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-04-26 at 11:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #444

Verona quickly steps forward when Matthew produces the daggers and inspects them, selecting one. Klesha takes the other, and the women decline further offers of equipment.

While cross-leveling spell component materials, Matthew does notice the materials or focuses for Disguise Self, Charm Person, and Ventriloquism, but other than those three there are so many little components and it is done so quickly that he can't keep track without being obvious about it.

Keeping a careful eye on their surroundings, and with Fi darting and wheeling in front of them, the three humans and one dwarf walk through the tall grass to Fishleap Shallows.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[12], (1d20+7)[27]

They arrive without seeing anyone alive or dead. The town is completely razed, and as Klesha predicted, only a few parts are still smoldering: green trees in the town and buildings that collapsed into a pile, not providing enough oxygen for the flames underneath.

25. - Top - End - #445

Is this normal for a war? Fishleap didn't look like it had been a military town. What was the point of destroying everything? Did they even stop to pillage? Did the citizens manage to escape?

Matthew had heard of terrible retributions laid upon towns after long sieges or when fierce resistance was finally broken. That didn't seem likely here. A force large enough to lay siege to a huge city like Midford would have swept through Fishleap with hardly any effort. They probably wouldn't even have offered a fight. Why burn everything?

This time it's Matthew's turn to speak tonelessly,
    "We should check for survivors."

Spoiler
    Show

Matthew Spot - (1d20+0)[11]
    Matthew Listen - (1d20+1)[20]
    Matthew Search - (1d20+5)[16]

Fi Spot - (1d20+7)[11]
    Fi Listen - (1d20+5)[13]
    Fi Search - (1d20+0)[14]

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Upon reaching the town, Vlax takes out his greataxe; alert, and hopeing for a fight

Spoiler
    Show
    spot(1d20+2)[22]
    listen (1d20+2)[19]

27. - Top - End - #447

The initial search finds nothing... but that's exactly what is so strange. (Vlax, being the wisest, realizes this first and points it out to the others.) There are charred homes and furniture, but no humans or goblins or livestock, living or dead, and no weapons, and no coins or other small valuables.

The adventurers decide to take their time and look carefully for clues, though they still stick together rather than splitting up. Fi spirals up into the sky, making broad circles, then returning to Matthew.

Fi
    "I found goblins! Across the river. In the trees. Also I found a big trail. In the grass. That way." (Fi flaps her wings and orients her body and beak to point south.)
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-27 at 01:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448

Default Matthew

That's great work Fi!

Do you know how many goblins Fi? Same as us? Lots and lots?

What do you make of all this Vlax? Perhaps the people managed to run away before the goblins turned up and then the goblins burned their town and moved off.

Fi lead us to where you saw the trodden down grass please.

If the group gets there OK (presumably on the edge of town to the South) Matthew will search the tracks to see if he can find evidence of goblins.

Spoiler
    Show

Search for tracks - (1d20+6)[9]
    So long as I am not following tracks but just examining or finding them I can substitute a Search roll for Survival I believe.

29. - Top - End - #449

Fi
    "More goblins than us. Six of them for one of us. This way to the trail. No goblins there."

On the south end of town, Fi leads the group around a huge old tree to a trampled path in the tall grass. In a patch of soft ground Matthew sees many foot- and hoof-prints, but he can't determine if goblin feet did or did not make any of them.

A short way into the grass, the trail no longer becomes obvious. There are many places where the grass is matted down, and Matthew cannot tell which one is the "big trail" Fi was talking about, as opposed to other trails made by dogs or game.

30. - Top - End - #450

Heading out of town to the South Matthew thinks, Perhaps two dozen goblins. I wonder if we could take them in some sort of ambush..... when the others turn up perhaps

I can't tell which way they went but if there's so many they can't have gone far. We could split up and look. Or we could just head South and see if we get lucky. I don't want to split. I suggest we try our luck for what's left of the day but not go too far from Fishleap.

I seem to have become the leader of the group... but I know nothing about tracking and survival.