New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

Ioth stands up, feeling a fool more because he missed the snake than because of his reaction, having a good reaction time is nothing to be ashamed of he feels, but missing an enemy and opening oneself up to attack is always a foolish thing to do {In Common}Yes well, I suppose I should start carrying around my spear, just in case this WAS a deliberate attack
    Ioth takes a final glance around the alleyway to see if anyone or anything is lurking in the shadows
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[6] I hope its ok if I do another spot check now that the actions over
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Matthew looks zoned out for a little bit. His eyes look distant.

[voice in Matthew's head]
    If they think this attack failed to get the guild stirred up they will have to try some other provocation. The agent who planted the serpent will have to try again and soon, or he will fail his master. Perhaps another snake, or maybe some more risky attack that will be more easily traced. Set a trap for them and turn the tables!

Trust no one. The guild may have been penetrated with a spy! There must be no sign that anything is wrong or they might not feel the need for another act of provocation.

Spoiler
    Show
    paranoid anyone?

Matthew appears to recover, and replies to Vlax.
    No, I think the dung collectors guild is our ally. But this is probably something political. Matthew explains what he knows about the guild system in Bridgeport.

I dunno guys ... this may sound a bit stupid but .... I was thinking it might be best to keep a lid on this incident and check it out ourselves. I think the snake was meant to get us all mad as hell, to go out and do something stupid that might cause the guild a bad name. Beating up someone. Attacking another guild maybe. Something like that? That would be just the excuse needed to get the guild disbanded by the council.

Maybe if we keep this quiet the assailant will try again? We could stake out the alley or something? Make our own trap?
    Matthew is already having doubts about this plan as the memory of the forceful voice fades from his mind. Trust nobody? He has to trust his team doesn't he?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-01 at 12:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Fin Flow
    As the place seemed to be clear of any more 'little critters (Minus Ioth anyway) Fin stood up straight looking back at Matthew "...So you think this be all politics huh? Well, I ain't going to call myself any expert on that... but I suppose it could be..but it could be a lot of other things still"

The young man starts making his way back inside "Too much guessing right now. Not much good of setting a trap if we ain't even sure on what we're trying to catch."

Upon getting to the door he looks back "I think right now what we gotta worry most about is just keeping everyone safe eh? If you're right, some fellah did put that critter there on purpose, it wasn't put there for any of us: we wouldn't of been the ones to open that Jar after all. One of the girls, or folks working here would of been, and did." he heads inside, waving his hand back "Going to tell the boss about all this either way, maybe he's got a better idea"
    He chuckles to himself grining "And maybe we're just being a bunch of worrying annyies, and this ain't nothing but a big accident"

And Fin's off to find Bruce if he's around. Wondering about guilds, and other such things. Not something he obsessed about too much, he knew his away around town sure, where places were, things like that, but he never bothered to much with 'actual' politics. Matthews idea seemed.. a little to contrived for him though. too complicated for a practical plan. If this was some sort of 'guild war' like action this was more of a warning, then a murder attempt. 'Get in any deeper, and this is what's in store for you'. Still, he couldn't help but feel they were ALL a little too parnoid at this point. An Accident is more likely, and for now they should just try to keep sane heads.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Vlax re-attaches his axe to his back. He still looks a little concerned about Matthew.

"I'm no expert on politics either, but I think you're right Matthew. I think we need to tighten security round here, and we really don't want to go off attacking the first suspects. I think it might be an idea to go down to the docks and market, see if we can find out how something as exotic as this could have got into town. But I'm not exactly great at public relations."

Vlax lifts the urn up, replaces the lid and moves it back to where it was supposed to be, clearing up the mess.

5. - Top - End - #65

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Fin's probably got more self-control than any of us. And I suppose we ought to tell the Guildmaster......

Matthew is late to the search for clues but lends his close scrutiny to the snake and the area where the jar is usually kept just in case. He calmly makes a mental note of how the snake looks and how it moved; an automatic reaction from his long training in the arts. You never know when you'll want an illusion of a nice scary looking fanged snake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops. Forgot to not preview my +7 search or whatever, but I doubt there's anything to find. I guess I'll just take 20 too.

I don't know much about snakes Vlax. You're idea sounds good... or perhaps our quatermaster would know who you could buy an exotic animal like that from in town. Still I wouldn't mind staking out the alley tonight. Of course, maybe it's nothing but an accident after all Yeah right!

I'm going to see if Fin managed to find Bruce.
    [hr]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually can we have a feasibility comment on the idea of staking out or trapping the alley? What I mean is how many people go down the alley -- for example how many in the 20-30 mins we have been standing around? And would there be an opportunity to hide there?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2007-12-22 at 08:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Vlax agrees with the others plans, and goes back into the common room. He sits at the bar, without a drink, in deep thought.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Berwin returns to the common room as well, not showing any signs of concern about the event. He looks at the others though to see if anyone makes a motion to go to the guildmaster right away.

If someone goes to talk to the guildmaster or any other authority of the guild he will gladly accompany him.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing nothing, Ioth makes his way back to his room. When he gets there he puts his backpack on the bed and packs everything from the chest back inside it. He then fishes around in his pack till he pulls out the bitterleaf oil, and rubs it on all his scales, then puts it back again. After that is done he leaves the pack on the bed, after putting tying the crossbow to his belt, and grabs his spear before heading downstairs.

9. - Top - End - #69

Back in the Common Room, all of Team Adder is assembled, along with Bruce and his family, Ana, Eldon, Lankin, and even Bil, the night watchman, to discuss the episode of the viper in the dung jar.

Bruce
    I agree, this could be anything ranging from a freak accident to a not-very-good assassination attempt. And I agree, we should look into it, but not overreact. I'll tell you what we should do. If anyone sees anything out of the ordinary, even if it seems trivial, you should tell someone else so you at least get a second pair of eyes on it before you dismiss it as nothing. Bil, that means you should wake me up if something goes bump in the night. And this evening I'll take all you adventurers to go see Merill and ask him if he knows anything, especially about Quinn being involved in any trouble these days. So let's go ahead and eat dinner, then after you finish any last-minute preparations we'll go to the Dungcarters' Guildhall.

10. - Top - End - #70

Matthew says nothing of his suspicion that there might be a spy in the guild.

The other seem to be making sure their weapons are ready. Matthew usually only carries his daggers.... after lunch he can see about casting Mending on that broken crossbow and using it.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth finishes his meal and heads up to his room. When he arrives he meticulously checks all of his things, making sure everything is in order. After he's sure everything is where it should it be, Ioth heads downstairs with his backpack strapped onto his back, and his crossbow dangling from his belt, with spear in hand, and his symbol of Io, clutched in his other claw.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax eats his meal silently, and then waits for the others to be ready, as he has nothing to prepare.

13. - Top - End - #73

Griffon

As the matters of the snake were discussed Fin mostly kept a serious expression, arms crossed, nodding as he agreed with Bruce. Being a bit more careful was a good idea, but this just wasn't something to 'panic' about yet.

After they got into dinner however his mood improved considerably, while his companions were eating quietly, and gripping weapons tightly he was chatting with the other 'locals' at the table over recent events in the city (that is the folks running the guild), nothing that wouldn't normally be tossed over a dinner table.

"Old Jenkins is dead? Alcohol poisoning?... Well least he died how he lived"

"Oh, common now! No way Terrin is beating Hallem in the festival this year. Sure, That terrain fellah got a lot of youth behind him, but no way he can stand up to a vet like Hal!"

"The Red robins closing? Damn, that was still 'round during my great Granddads day, waste of history!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgive my 'made up' Banter there, just wanted to show Fin is pretty sociable in the right scene. But I also can't spend three days making the conversation up so this is the 'samples' quick version/

Much like Vlax, Fin has little in the ways to 'get ready' before going out. Everything he needs is on him, and his weapon of choice is hardly something 'storable'. Once dinner is over, he helps out with the dishes, and cleaning stuff up, before meeting everyone else for the trip to chat with Merill

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias also has little to prepare. He spends much of breakfast sitting near Fin and participating in conversation as best he can.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    [Images removed - total image heights too high]
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Berwin

Berwin listens attentively to the dinner conversations, or at least looks as if he would, but doesn't join in on them. In fact he says nothing at all, aside from thanking for the served food.

Afterwards he is pretty much ready anyway and waits for Bruce to lead the way

16. - Top - End - #76

Bruce leads the adventurers, armed to the teeth, just a few blocks to the dungcarters guildhall, which is actually just a small house constructed of wattle and daub. He knocks on the door and identifies himself. A small window within the door opens and the wrinkled face of Merrill appears.

Merrill
    "Ah, Brucey! And these must be your new guildmates! Just a moment, please."

Merrill removes the board that bars his door on the inside and admits you to his home. You crowd into a room that appears to serve as kitchen, dining room, and home office. A faint smell of dung mingles with that of potent spices, probably from a recent meal. Bruce relates the events of the past few hours while Merrill sits in a basket-like chair with an expensive-looking cushion and smokes a foul-smelling pipe. The adventurers find various positions of comfort, as there is precious little furniture in the room. Finally, Bruce asks Merrill directly if he has any idea how the snake could have gotten in the dung jar, and if he thinks Quinn could have had anything to do with it.

Merill
    "Now, I don't know how a snake could have gotten in one of those jars, especially as we store them upside down after washing. We only put the wooden lids on once we load them on the cart in the morning. But seeing as how Quinn and I are the only dungcarters who work your alley, I suppose if anyone has answers it would be Quinn."

Merill calls over his shoulder, "Hai, Quinn lad, you're needed here!"

A lanky teenage human boy with hunched shoulders promptly shuffles in from another room. His dull expression becomes more alert when he looks around at all the people in the room.

"Now then, answer any questions these good people have," Merill instructs.

Bruce (to the Adventurers)
    "Those of you who witnessed the event should question the boy."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax doesn't sit, just stands in the corner of the room with his arms folded, leaning against the wall. He's not exactly adept at relations with people, unless it involves cutting bits off them until they scream what he wants to know, so he leaves the questioning to somebody else.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth stands close to the doorway, leaning a little on his spear, fiddling with his crossbow as Merrill speaks, though he listens intently as well. when the boy walks in and Bruce announces it would be them who questioned him, Ioth did not see anyone step forward and so he decided to begin. {In Common} Quinn was it? yes well, awhile ago, a jar, presumably one that fell off of one of your carts, was found in the street, inside it was a snake of unknown origin, that attacked Ana and us, and we were curious if you knew anything about it. as Ioth finishes explaining the basics, he hopes someone else will fill in the details he missed.

19. - Top - End - #79

Matthew studies the boy's face as Ioth speaks, especially to see if he reacts to the news that Ana was attacked.

Perhaps you could start by telling us what your usual routine is for the pick-up.

Do you usually do the round alone or with Guildmaster Merrill? Is the pick-up at the same time every day? Do you take the same route? When you exchange the full jar for the empty, do you use any empty jar or certain jars for certain places? When you drop-off the empty jar at the Adventurers' Guild do you usually see Ana there?

20. - Top - End - #80

Griffon

Fin, while not adding to the questioning (seeing as his allies seem to be doing a fine job so far) but does say with a friendly grin "Just answer best ya can. Ya ain't in-trouble here or nothing. We're just trying to get to the bottom of this whole mess"

21. - Top - End - #81

Quinn stares blankly for a moment, then turns suddenly, as if to run. So quickly one might think he had anticipated the boy's movement, old Merill trips him with his foot. While the boy does not appear to have been hurt, he stays down on his hands and knees, staring at the floor. Without getting up, Merrill bellows at him:

Merill
    So, you've fallen back into your foolish ways, lad? You were asked a civil question, now let's here the truth! Else you will be pullin' the cart tomorrow, while the mule takes a day of rest! Now, on your feet like a man!

Quinn slowly gets up and stands, facing the Adventurers, his face beet red. Merrill clears his throat as a cue to Quinn. The boy straightens up to his full height, which earns a nod of approval from Merrill, then speaks quietly:
    Quinn
    "An old lady stopped me outside one evening and said she wanted to play a trick on a friend. She said to take the jar from the house just before yours and leave it at your house, instead of swapping yours with a clean one from the cart. She gave me an address to go to once I'd done it, where she would give me a whole gold piece if I'd kept quiet about it. So I did it, but I haven't been to the address yet."

Merill
    "Curse my age-addled brain, I didn't even notice when you got off the cart at Ian Smith's house today, even though he left a note saying he'd be away on business this week. And you, boy - haven't you learned anything? Someone offering you that much money and telling you to keep quiet is obviously up to no good! Now, let's have that address, then you answer any other questions these fine people have quickly so you'll time to take the cart around the block three times. If you don't use the good mind Pelor blessed you with, you might as well do a mule's work!"

Quinn's face reddens again, but he appears to be somewhat relieved at the light sentence. His sullenness is gone, and he bows humbly to the Adventurers, speaking with the formality of an educated person.
    Quinn
    "Good people, she said I was to inquire for Lady Partasti, at the big house on Peat Smoke Hill, at the far Northwest corner of West Bridgeport this evening to collect my reward. I...apologize for my mule-like foolishness. Can I help you in any way to atone for the harm I have caused?"

22. - Top - End - #82

Lady Partasti? Not exactly the best part of town for a "lady".

Spoiler
    Show

Has Matthew ever heard that name, "Partasti", perhaps in connection with a guild? or is there any guild that is based way out in West Bridgeport -- other than the obvious, peat cutters.
    [roll=knowledge: local]1d20+6[roll]

This old woman was not a halfling was she?

Would you recognise her if you saw her again?

23. - Top - End - #83

Griffon

Fin nodded in agreement to Merills punishment though he wasn't so happy that the kid wanted to 'run' first. "You did good kid by telling us the truth. But what ya did today could'f gotten Ana killed. Ya keep that in mind next time somebody asks you to do something shady this, and be happy Merills being soft on ya this time"

Still, everything Fin heard brought a frown to his face. This was looking very much so deliberate now, though this 'address' the women gave, it's a wonder if it's 'payment' that he'd be going for. Might be a place where they were going to get rid of the kid, so there wasn't anymore trail to follow for all they knew... something to bring up once they were on their way there. It was all possible the kid was supposed to go there to get paid, and that's all.

Taking the kid along might work, let him go in first while everyone else hides about. Wait tell who ever's behind it to come out, pay the kid like he's suppose to, then ambush them for some answers. But... Would it be fair to put him in danger like that?

Knowledge local on the name/area as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[16] starting to think it might be simpler for in situations where KL would apply (which is very often within the city walls) for the dm to just roll for the few people in the party who have it after he posts, and PM them any details rather then waiting for them to post their attempt at the check. Would speed things up a bit.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

When the boy spoke, the news troubled Ioth. he wondered who this "old woman" might be who would go to lengths to do harm to the guild, however it occurred to him that it might have been less of an attempt on someones life and perhaps more of a message, or perhaps a threat, maybe even a warning, than a real attempt on anyones life.
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2007-12-28 at 05:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quinn
    "No, she wasn't a halfling, she was a human lady. She looked pretty old, too. I might be able to recognize her, even though when I saw her she had a shawl over her head and her hair was in her face." Quinn stands solemnly, waiting for instructions or dismissal.

Matthew and Fin discuss what they know of the information provided by the boy. Neither of them recall having ever heard the name "Partasti." Matthew is familiar with the part of town described by the boy, he knows it to be rather historic; it is almost entirely populated by halflings, and the house on the hill is known as the ancestral home of leaders of the Highburrow clan, a highly respected family known for having many of the High Priests of Yondalla among their number through Bridgeport history. As Matthew recalls, the house was purchased three or four years ago by persons who have somehow managed to remain anonymous.

26. - Top - End - #86

Details, details! Matthew methodically asks Quinn to go over the appearance of the old woman. What sort of height? What colour of hair? Was she dressed as if wealthy or poor? Did her voice have a West Bridgeport accent or did it sound more upper crust? What colour was the shawl? Did she wear gloves? Did she have a ring on her finger? Did he notice any jewelry, especially of a church or a guild? Did she smell as if she'd been over the West side a lot (if you know what I mean)? Did she seem furtive? Nervous? Commanding? In a hurry? Kindly? Did she use her arms when she talked? Did she avoid looking you in the eye? When she left did she go on foot? Did he catch which direction? Was there anyone who appeared to be with her?

*Sigh* People often don't pay attention to these things, and Matthew doesn't expect Quinn to remember many of the answers. But perhaps it will be enough of a description to ask around; after all there aren't that many humans in West Bridgeport. 'Least there were not the last time I was over there.

Gentlemen! Perhaps we should attempt to retrieve Quinn's wages for him tonight?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax's hands dart to his axe handle as the boy starts to run, but he stops, and goes back to his position as Merill trips him, smiling slightly at the Guild masters quick reactions.

After listening intently to all the conversation, He speaks out.

"I'd sure like to find out what this is all about, I say we go question the old woman, and bring the kid along too. Anyone else have any ideas?"

28. - Top - End - #88

Quinn

"I was outside the house here just as it got dark, finishing some chores, and Master Merill was inside. I was walking, and suddenly this lady came up behind me and said, "Boy!" I was kinda scared and turned around. It was just her, nobody else. I guess she could have been tall once but she was hunched over, you know, like an old lady. So she was leaning forward to me with a shawl over her head and all wrapped up in a dark cloak, and she had hair hanging down in her face, curly hair like it hasn't been washed, some kind of light color, I guess white or light grey hair but dirty. I couldn't really see her face well because of the dark and the shawl and her hair in the way. Then she told me what to do. She talked in Common like an educated person, and her accent was kind of strange, I don't think I've heard anything like it before. No jewelry that I could see, and I couldn't really see her hands, like I said, she was all wrapped up in her cloak. She wasn't nervous... more like commanding, like you said. When I said I would do what she wanted, she walked away really fast North down the street and turned left at the corner so I couldn't see her any more.
    And since you mention, there was one other strange thing about her. I thought when I was talking to her that I could just barely smell something like roses."

Matthias gets the impression that even though the boy appears very uncomfortable with this interrogation, he is presenting what he knows to the adventurers without attempting deception.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-29 at 08:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Berwin
    It seems we're agreed to go investigate this address. But we must ask our host...(to Merrill)...Should we decide we have a need for the boy, would you allow him to go with us?

Merill
    "Aye, the boy will be in your debt until you tell him he's made up for his error. I just ask that you keep his safety your primary concern, as I am responsible for him, and I will not be going with you."

30. - Top - End - #90

Your plan sounds fine to me Vlax. Nobody objecting that I can see. Let's go down there tonight -- strike while the iron is hot! If we draw a blank we can try that other idea of yours -- about asking around merchants that you could buy a snake from, or perhaps we could get Eldon to look at the guild registry to see if this name "Partasti" is associated with one of the guilds. But so far it doesn't sound much like a guild thing after all. ... Huh ... I suppose it could be a trap but I think we can handle ourselves pretty well.

It's getting on... we should probably set off right away.

Guildmaster Meril, thanks for your help. Quinn, you're with us. Guildmaster Bruce...
    laughing I guess if we don't get back tonight you know where to send the search party!