New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

The blow to Vlax misses, and {unless the goblin is killed before it's his turn} Vlax slices at it with the axe.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[22]
    [roll]1d12+4[/roll]
    Last edited by Zyks; 2008-01-15 at 03:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Matthias skulks near the bridge, awaiting Matthew's return. The cries of battle from within the house worry him, but he knows he cannot do much until his illusionist friend comes back.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    [Images removed - total image heights too high]
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

With two blows dodged already, the goblin suddenly turns away from Berwin and jumps at Fin. Without hesitation, Berwin swings his pick at him again, this time, trying to hit the Creatures back.

Spoiler
    Show
    To Hit: (1d20)[6]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    oops, can't roll in edits, so heres my damage for that hit
    (1d12+4)[5]
    Last edited by Zyks; 2008-01-16 at 03:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In the interest of moving things along, I'm going to let Vlax's attack take place while we're waiting on Asmodeus' post (as if Ioth had delayed initiative slightly) but we'll still wait for Ioth before the goblins get their turn. Don't forget you can get an attack bonus for flanking.

While the goblin defending itself against Fin and Berwin is able to avoid injury again, Vlax's axe draws blood once more. The blade sweeps low, catching the goblin in unprotected back of the thigh, severing hamstring muscle and leaving a wound that gushes blood. Despite the goblin's leathery skin, the adventurers can see it go pale as it struggles to remain standing.

__________________________________________________ ________

Bruce and Matthew appear on the west side of the Bridge where Matthias is waiting - sooner than he expected, and without the small army hoped for. The pounding of their feet and the clank of their equipment seem unnaturally loud in quiet, dark West Bridgeport.

6. - Top - End - #186

"Bruce, Matthew!" Matthias cries. "Something's fighting everyone else inside. We need to get in there."
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

7. - Top - End - #187

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Spoiler
    Show
    I was thinking the bridge was still some distance from Highburrow Hall. Possibly hyperfreak was assuming in his last post that they were right next to each other? Anyway let's assume we either meet Matthias at the Hall or else meet at the bridge and then proceed to the exterior of Hall, outside its garden wall.

Btw -- is it true that Matthias would be able to hear sounds of a fight from within the house? I was wondering if the party got eg. teleported when they stepped through the door, in which case no sound of a fight.

EDITED: come to think of it since it must have been a good 40 minutes to run across town and back the fight would have ended by the time Matthew and Bruce get back. Of course if the others eg. take 20 on searching around that will take about 40 minutes and we'll all be caught up.

Matthew speaks at the same time as Matthias:
    Matthias! Has anything happened in there?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-16 at 03:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I attacked right before you posted, you kinda... ignored it just fyi here it is "Ioth fired his second bolt into the Goblin, and cursed in Draconic, he dropped his crossbow and grabbed at his spear, thrusting it at the next closest goblin, seeing as he had no time to reload his crossbow.

(1d20+3)[12] Attack and (1d6+1)[5] damage I hope abandoning the crossbow turns out to be the right idea"
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

9. - Top - End - #189

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about that Asmodeus

The goblin in combat with Fin and Berwin sees only two of his comrades still standing, and both of them at death's door. He decides to make a run for it, and starts to sprint away. The two wounded goblins, seeing his flight, also try to start limping away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fin and Berwin, you each get an attack of opportunity at the running goblin. Vlax and Ioth each get an attack of opportunity at the hamstrung goblin. The one with the crossbow bolt under his ribs is still making his slow retreat.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Bruce, Matthew, and Matthias crest the last hill before Highburrow Hall. They can neither hear nor see anyone across the way, though it is dark and hard to hear much when jogging.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-17 at 01:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Spoiler
    Show
    Per comments in OOC I'm assuming Bruce and Matthew catch up with Matthias close to the outside of Highburrow Hall's wall just where Matthew left him 40 minutes ago and that Matthias has been keeping an eye on the hall from there.

Matthew attempts to peek through the crack between the wall and the gate but it is hard to see much.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20-2)[14]

Asking Matthias, hushed voice:
    Have they moved at all, the guards? No sign of anything? No movement?

To Bruce, hushed voice:
    We could easily climb over the wall around the back? Or you could call them out from here if you really think they would stand down based solely upon your rank. Of course so far as they know we might have brought two dozen men with us.

11. - Top - End - #191

Bruce (scratching his head)
    "I don't see anyone, though they could be hiding behind that wall on the roof. Strange that this gate is lit, but the house is not. And the rest of your team went inside the house, hmm..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Matthew doesn't Spot anyone either.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Fin pulls out a fast punch just as the goblin decides running is the best option, finding his fist coming into empty space, brushing just an inch away from the goblins head as it starts getting the hell out of there (AOO taken, and... I doubt a 10 hits. Blasted Crit confirm)

Spoiler
    Show

Attack roll (1d20+6)[10]
    Crit Confirm(1d20+6)[23]
    Damage (1d6+4)[5]

Last edited by Bribri; 2008-01-18 at 12:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:(1d20)[1]
    Damage:(1d6)[6]

Trying to swing at the fleeing goblin, Berwin misses again, almost stumbling as the Goblin escapes the blow. He kept his face calm and emotionless during the whole fight, but now as he regains his balance he shows an angry sneer.
    Last edited by ubersquid; 2008-01-18 at 11:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Default Matthew, Matthias, Bruce

Yeah the guards were on the roof hiding behind that low wall. Spaced out regularly all down the roof, but all on this side like they expected us. When the woman came out of the door there was some light from inside the house.... although now you come to mention it, there wasn't much light even then.

Guildmaster do you want us to try and scout the place out before making a decision? maybe take a peek inside? If you want to go with the idea of playing on your official status.... declaring you are here and ordering them to release the others... it wouldn't look good if you had to sneak in. For that matter it would be undignified to have to climb over the wall if the gate is still locked.

Matthew tries to quietly see if the gate is still locked. Assuming that it is,

Matthias, can you unlock this gate?

15. - Top - End - #195

The gate is still locked.

Bruce (in a booming voice, sure to carry to the house)
    "Hail, ye of Highburrow Hall! I am Bruce Wrightson, Guildmaster of the Fair City of Bridgeport! I am here with witnesses to speak of the wrongs done to my guild-members! Let us solve this matter with words, not steel, else I shall be forced to call upon the Marshal!"

(to Matthias and Matthew)
    "Nobody wants to get Bridgeport troops involved in any disagreement. Their methods tend to favor neither side, and be rather... lacking in subtlety and restraint."

A few moments pass without reply or sign of anyone at the house.

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting on Vlax and Ioth's attacks of opportunity. (I'm not being impatient, just trying to keep people updated.)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry I forgot
    attack (1d20+4)[14]
    damage (1d12+4)[12]

17. - Top - End - #197

Spoiler
    Show
    Scouting seems like Matthias' territory so I'll give hyperfreak a chance to post.
    So another waiting in place post from me.
    Site's been bad 3 days now.

The guy in charge on the roof seemed to be slow to come to decisions. Worried about what his "superiors" might think. He might be thinking about what to do.... or gone altogether...

Matthias gestures with his loaded crossbow. Maybe this could provoke a response of some sort...?

18. - Top - End - #198

"I could try to open the lock on the gate," Matthias says after pondering the question for a moment. "Have weapons ready should the defenders decide my intrusion is not conducive to their plots."

Spoiler
    Show
    "Spot" - (1d20+1)[18] Checkin' for baddies.
    "Open Lock" - (1d20+6)[9]
    P.S. My crossbow is still out, in case that becomes an issue. I suppose I will put it on the ground if I reach the gate; lock-picking usually requires both hands.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.

19. - Top - End - #199

Matthias peers through the gate and doesn't see a soul, not even the glint of a crossbow over the low wall on the roof.

He tries to unlock the gate, but his first attempt fails.

There is still no response to Bruce's challenge.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the interest of moving thing along (I'm going to bed), if Matthias takes 20 to unlock the gate he will succeed without any incident, and the three outside the gate can then decide what they want to do once the gate is open.

Also in the interest of moving things along I'm going to give the results of Vlax's attack of opportunity, even though we are still waiting on Ioth's attack of opportunity.

The goblin that was fighting Berwin and Fin eludes their blows and makes a break for the concealment of the trees, quickly gaining on the two severely wounded goblins who are staggering away from the battle.

Vlax swings at the goblin fleeing him and Ioth, but only barely makes contact with the blade of his axe, the blow harmlessly cutting loose one metal stud from the fringe of the goblin's dirty leather jerkin.

20. - Top - End - #200

Matthew tries to see any signs of response while Matthias fiddles with and eventually unlocks the gate. Seeing none...

Are you sure they didn't all run off somehow? I'm going in. What the hell... forcing the issue seemed to work last time and brazening it out was the guildmaster's call on this thing.

Matthew swings the gate open. Pauses, steps forward and begins to walk towards the house. Note to self: remember to buy some real smokesticks.

Spoiler
    Show
    If he sees a bunch of people stand up and try to shoot him, or gets a warning shout from the others, obviously he'll dive for cover or duck back behind the wall if he is challenged immediately upon opening the gates.
    Spot - (1d20-2)[9]
    Listen - (1d20-1)[10]
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-20 at 05:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

Ioth thrusts his spear at the retreating goblin, but the small creature's fear seems to have made it very light on its heels. There are now two dead goblins, two critically wounded goblins limping into the woods, and two uninjured goblins sprinting away as fast as they can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acting on Asmodeus' behalf: Attack - (1d20+3)[9] Damage - (1d6+1)[5] OK, unless there are any objections, you may act in whatever order you like (I don't want being picky about initiative to slow things down right now). All four goblins are now out of range of melee weapons unless you do a charge

Bruce (sounding regretful but not scared)
    "...Maybe you were right, young Matthew. You never know who might be the type to shoot first and worry about the consequences of killing a Guildmaster later."
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-21 at 02:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202

Default Matthew, Bruce

Hahaha
    Matthew's inner tension is released in a burst of laughter that breaks the tense silence, and perhaps, a switch in Matthew's head goes off. He doesn't bother to speak quietly:

You pick a fine time to agree with me guildmaster. As for me, I've just about come around to your way of thinking. This is not some dark back alley. Highburrow Hall -- whoever bought the place has money no doubt, and a name. They might murder a guildmaster but I think they'd want to avoid doing so in their own front garden with witnesses back up there at the gate. A little hard to explain that one away I think.

What a strange twist of fortune. An hour ago I was doing the same thing but walking away from the house.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-21 at 03:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax roars and charges after thre nearest goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge is +2 to attack and damage right? If not re-roll for me
    attack(1d20+6)[8]
    damage(1d12+6)[9]

24. - Top - End - #204

Vlax easily overtakes the goblin and strikes him down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge is +2 to attack, -2 to the attacker's AC, but you still do 7 HP of damage.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

(Ewww. Dicebot doesn't like me anymore...)
    Fin charged after the nearest goblin, stomping his foot into the ground near it as if to scare it into keep running rather then actually hit it. Fin honestly want to bother with these goblins anymore:They were running, they were no longer a threat, they didn't matter, and more importantly they had other things to think about. Where'd that women go? And hell how'd they get out in the middle of the woods?

Fin shouted out as the goblins ran, as if she could hear him "Where'd you go Old women?! The hell is this about? Or you even here to hear me?!"

Spoiler
    Show

To hit (1d20+6)[7]
    If Crit (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage (1d6+4)[9]
    Last edited by Bribri; 2008-01-21 at 01:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

"Anyone have an actual plan, or do we just walk in?" Matthias asks as he catches up with the others.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #207

Default Matthew, Matthias, Bruce.

The trio close in on the house.
    Plan?
    Ask me again in 30 seconds.

Spoiler
    Show
    If we get to the door without incident Matthew offers to boost Matthias on to the roof, or else climb up himself. Is the door open?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

As some of the others chase down the remaining Goblins, Berwin starts to search the bodies of the already dead ones. With experienced ease he rolls them around, flips open pouches, looks for hidden compartments in their clothing and is not afraid to get his hands dirty in the process.

Everytime he is done with one, he lines him up next to the previous and puts the body back into shape as good as possible, if they had been seriously mauled or cut too much. Finally he closes their eyes and mumbles a short prayer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on Spot check if applicable: 24

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Afetr striking down another goblin Vlax begins to tear after the rest, blind to what the others ared oing in the ecstacy of the fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Im not in rage, Vlax just likes fighting. I won't roll for another charge, as the situation has probably changed in terms of whacking goblins. If I would be able to hit another with a charge, feel free to roll if tof me.

30. - Top - End - #210

Matthew, Matthias, and Bruce survive their march to front door, though every second spent waiting for a bolt in the throat may have seemed like an hour. As they come close to the house, each of the three notice the unmistakeable smell of charred flesh in the air.
    The front door of the house is open, but glancing inside, all they see is darkness and a faint flicker of orange light which does not reveal anything.

Bruce (growling, mostly to himself)
    "There is some kind of devilry at work here..."

Matthew
    "Perhaps I should get on the roof, or else give you a boost, Matthias?"
    __________________________________________________ ______________

As Vlax chases after the running goblin, the hamstrung goblin lunges at Vlax - opening the leg wound wider in the process. It falls to the ground and the light fades from its eyes. The other adventurers then see the goblin with the curved dagger spit at Vlax. Vlax turns, furious. The goblin hisses and gives Vlax a look of contempt and venom, looking straight in his eyes as it slits its own throat and falls, denying the adventurers victory in combat.
    The last fleeing goblin disappears into the darkness, its footsteps lost in the the sound of the wind in the pine needles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember - Spot is to find hiding people, Search is to find hidden stuff.

Berwin searches all the goblins carefully and thoroughly, and finds the following (all equipment sized small):
    Spoiler
    Show

-one curved dagger
    -several hunks of dried meat of an unknown animal
    -1 set of "knucklebones" (common knowledge - these are used for gambling by many races, or sometimes for divination)
    -5 suits of studded leather armor (filthy)
    -5 morningstars
    -5 small wooden shields
    -12 javelins
    -8 silver pieces, 13 copper pieces
    -2 flint & steel sets
    -1 crude necklace of hemp and bones that look to be from a cat, rabbit, or squirrel
    -6 waterskins
    -6 filthy, torn cloaks of heavy wool along with other tattered bits of goblin clothing
    -1 piece of deerskin with some goblin script and what looks like a crudely drawn map inked onto the smooth side
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-22 at 09:01 AM.