New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Badger IC

Brelgan walks into the Common Room from the Foyer. He is carrying a small box made of scrap wood panels crudely nailed together. It looks similar to the crates you might see at the dock waiting to be loaded onto boats, but this one is only about 6" x 3" x 3".

Brelgan
    "Hello Adventurers! Some nice old lady just gave this to me at the gate for - she said it's a welcome to the neighborhood gift. I wonder what it is - it's kinda heavy!"

He sets it on the table in the middle of the Common Room.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, human cleric

Aulric stands and joins Brelgan by the table, looking down at the small box. The cleric picks it up and feels its weight. With an affirmative grunt, he says, "Indeed, it has a solid heft to it." Looking to his companions gathered around the table near the fire, he asks, "Would any of you care to do the honours?"

Aulric holds it aloft in their direction.
    "When two tigers fight, one will lose." -- Chinese proverb

Characters in Games:
    Gaimon Tarn, Human Dark Jedi | Second Golden Age of the Sith
    Brek Sorath, Dashade Soldier | Dawn of Defiance

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Victor, Half Elf Fighter

Victor returns the clasp wholeheartedly. "Well met indeed, Aulric." Then, as Brelgan enters, "You're more than welcome to open any strange packages that come our way." Victor watches expectantly, still sipping his beer.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick: (human/bard)

"A gift for us? Already? Well go on Aulric open it so that we can see what we've been given!"

5. - Top - End - #35

Spoiler
    Show

You will need to pry apart the pieces of wood that are loosely nailed together. There is no lid or buckle or anything like that.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

"On second thought, I will open it for it seems that I may be the only one of us so excited to know the contents."

Dravick sits in front of the box at the table and begins to pry it open, trying to figure out what it is even before he gets it fully opened.

7. - Top - End - #37

Dravick pries at the box in front of him as he sits at the table, Aulric and Brelgan standing next to him, and Victor sipping his beer nearby. After a good tug, you hear the squeak of the nails sliding...and the subtle sound of something ripping? An instant later, an explosion rocks the Common Room. A flaming substance blows out of the box, directly at Dravick's head, but also spraying Aulric, Brelgan, and Victor.

Spoiler
    Show

Dravick takes (1d6)[6] damage.
    Aulric takes 1 damage.
    Victor takes 1 damage.
    Brelgan takes 1 damage.

Instinctively, the four of you try to swipe at the burning substance on you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dravick: Reflex saving throw versus catching on fire (-2 for sitting in front of the box): (1d20+2)[10]
    Aulric: (1d20)[15]
    Victor: (1d20+2)[6]
    Brelgan: (1d20+2)[20]
    (nobody post anything until I post whether or not these guys catch on fire)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, human cleric

The priest places a firm hand on the bard's shoulder. "Hold, friend. Give me but a moment before you reveal the contents."

Placing his calloused hand about the silver warhammer holy symbol hanging from the chain at his neck, Aulric gazes heavenward, raising his other hand, palm upwards. "Morrow, Lord of Righteous Defense, bless your servant with the vision to see beyond the veneer of the mundane!"

Faint energy hums through Aulric's palm, traveling through his arm. His eyes gleam cerulean momentarily, and he turns his gaze upon the box, narrowing his eyes as he attempts to look through the wood and beyond.

Spoiler
    Show
    I cast Detect Magic... I'll focus for 3 rounds to benefit from the spell's full effect.

((Sorry, Bonecrusher... we must have been posting at the same time.))
    Last edited by Rafe; 2007-12-21 at 01:42 PM.

Characters in Games:

9. - Top - End - #39

The flames on Aulric and Brelgan quickly die out, but Victor's sleeve catches on fire, and Dravick screams as his hair bursts into flame.

Spoiler
    Show

Victor takes (1d6)[3] damage.
    Dravick takes (1d6)[4] damage.

Victor and Aulric may take one more action, then it's Erutaron, Surian, and Enar's turn to act and also give me a chance to tell you the results of your action (such as...are you still on fire?) before anybody posts again. Just tell me what you do and I'll do the dice rolling.

EDIT:Dravick slumps out of his chair and onto the floor, unconscious and still burning.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-21 at 01:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, human cleric

Placing his calloused hand about the silver warhammer holy symbol hanging from the chain at his neck, Aulric gazes heavenward, raising his other hand, palm upwards. "Morrow, bless this servant with the grace to relieve this man's ills!"

Faint energy hums through Aulric's palm, a cerulean mist swirling about his fingers. As he kneels by Dravick and places his palm against the youth's chest, with his other hand, he pours Dravick's tankard over his head to quench the flames.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Light Wounds on Dravick, 1d8+1 is the roll. Not sure how you want to resolve pouring the drink over his head.
    Last edited by Rafe; 2007-12-21 at 02:14 PM.

Characters in Games:

11. - Top - End - #41

There is a hiss of steam as Aulric "baptizes" Dravick with ale, extinguishing the flames. The badly injured man is bathed in the light of divine magic until his facial wounds close and heal, leaving only a badly burned scalp and charred hair. Dravick does not become conscious, but his breaths are now peaceful.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Light Wounds restores (1d8+1)[3] of Dravick's hit points.

Spoiler
    Show

If I'm not mistaken, Dravick now has 0 hit points.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-21 at 02:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian Oron (Human Ranger)

As Surian opened his mouth to answer Victor the package arrives. He is wary about opening it, and starts forward to stop Dravick just a moment too late.

I think introductions will have to wait, Victor.

He leans down next to Dravick, trying to extinguish any flames lingering on his clothing. When everything seems to be ok, he turns to the rest of the group.

May this be a lesson for all of us. Our friend was a little over-excited, no doubt made bold by the drink. We are now part of an organization that has made many enemies over the years. He must be cautious at all times, suspicious of the most mundane item we come across. Aulric, do what you can for our friend here. And Victor, you may call me Surian. I am also a skilled archer, but will be serving as pathfinder for this group.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if I am allowed to act yet. I admit I'm a little confused about the situation, so I'll post this now and it can take place whenever it's actually my turn.
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

13. - Top - End - #43

Enar screamed in horror at seeing the explosion and flames. It was all her fault, she should be the one who had tried to open the box, she whould be the one laying uncoscious on the ground...How didn't she did suspect of it, that it could be a trap?

Oh gods please forgive me I should've been the one opening the box! It was my duty of the group, to look for traps but...But I never imagined anyone could mean us harm in here, so soon...Please forgive me, I was so naive.

Crying she runned to was left of the traped box, seeing if it there wasn't any kind of danger left. Or if she could discover who ahd how it had been built.

Spoiler
    Show
    I make a search check in the remains of the box. My character wants to see if still represents danger and if I can discover something on the way it was built.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, human cleric

The priest nods to Surian. "I will do what I am able, friend, but I think bedrest now would be his best ally."

Aulric narrows his eyes in concentration and begins to murmur a prayer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another Cure Light Wounds

He smiles in sympathy to Enar. "Worry not, lass. It was no one's fault that such circumstances came upon us unawares. As Surian has said, let this be a lesson to us all and Dravick's harm was not in vain." With a steadying hand on Dravick's shoulder, he asks, "Are you able stand, my friend?"

Characters in Games:

15. - Top - End - #45

Victor, Half Elf Fighter

Victor's first priority is getting his arm out. He quickly presses it to the bar where the remnants of his spilled beer is beginning to soak into the wood, and continues to press until the flames are out. Once they are, he grins a little as Surian continues their conversation from earlier, but he is a bit preoccupied by the sudden outburst of the girl next to him. "Calm down miss... Enar, was it? I don't think anyone here was expecting that to happen. We only just signed on, there was no reason to expect someone to attack us already. That said, Surian is right. We have made ourselves targets in the eyes of some, and must tread carefully. He seems to pause a moment, and then begins to look at his arm. That stings. And on my new tunic, too! Well, that's life, I guess. He sits back down and motions for another drink to sip.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

As Dravick comes to he asks "unh, wh-what happ...", but he begins to remember and then, "Oh, no! Is everyone okay?"

He looks around the room, and sees the damage and the chaos, but everyone else seems to be fairly okay, if not worse for the wear, he hopes...

What have I done, I didn't take the danger seriously enough

"I am truly sorry everyone, I will be more careful in the future."

He feels a large steadying hard on his shoulder accompanied by Auldric's voice. He turns his head and says, "Thank you my friend, I can stand. But I think I should like to get some sleep now. Please let me know if you find out who sent us this 'gift' I think I would like to repay the kindness soon."

He turns and walks slowly and somberly towards the bunk house...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian sighs, happy to see that everyone is ok. He smiles reassuringly at Dravick, letting him know that he harbors no ill-will towards him.

Dravick is right. What we need to do next is find out who could have done this. Perhaps Brelgan can give us some more details on the appearance of the "kind old woman."

18. - Top - End - #48

Brelgan
    Sniffing back tears as he looks at his burn, Brelgan says,
    "She was just some lady, kinda old, not really old, nice clothes. A human lady. I never saw her before, she just said to give the box to the adventurers as a welcome gift and then she mussed up my hair."

Enar examines the smoldering remains of their "welcoming gift." It appears to have been made of ordinary wood, and the only thing inside was an animal bladder of some sort, which is now in shreds, with the residue of whatever that highly flammable substance once. The nails, however, seem somewhat unusual - most of them seem to have a sort of barb on them that protruded into the crate, and judging by the bits of bladder on them, must have hooked and eventually torn the bladder open when Dravick was prying on the side of the box.

At that moment, Bruce runs in.
    Bruce
    "What... oh! Pelor save us!

Brelgan
    "Some lady gave us this box, and it blew up, Papa."

Bruce
    "...it blew...You're hurt, my boy! And with Eldon gone to the Council Chambers! Go to your room, your mother is waiting up there, tell her what happened and wait for Eldon to come heal you. The rest of you, take this for a lesson... we can't be too cautious. Some of the senior guilds would like nothing better than for us to meet with disaster, so we just need to keep a low profile until we become more established and make some political allies. I suggest you heal yourselves and find something to do for the rest of the day."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, human cleric

((For the second Cure Light Wounds))
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+1)[2]

Aulric frowns at Bruce, looking back over the damages caused by this simple yet deadly trap. "Sir, are we not to attempt to investigate this? I find it difficult to accept that we must simply shrug and allow such an attack on both ourselves and this, your home, to go unpursued." The bald man's hand rests firmly on his warhammer.

Characters in Games:

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick sleeps restlessly, waking occassionally. His dreams are troubled, and they each come back around to an explosion that wakes him.

Brelgan was there! I put him in danger, I put my team in danger! My adventuring companions signed on for danger, just not from me. I must never be so reckless again, especially with innocent bystanders around.

Dravick's unease about the day's events slowly evolve into a resolve to be a better and more cautious adventurer. He falls back asleep, hoping for a better day tomorrow....
    Last edited by Thymin; 2007-12-22 at 09:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree with Aulric, Sir. We must not allow these criminals to go unpunished. That would just encourage them to attack this guild.

22. - Top - End - #52

Bruce's facial expression changes from one of anger to... a small smile, with a touch of wicked anticipation?

Bruce
    "Well of course, you're going to look into it, Adventurers! That's what you're here to do! And I want you to make those cowardly bastards pay, so they never dream of doing something like this again! When I say keep a low profile, I just mean follow guild rules: be discreet, especially in town.

"Tell you what - let me give you somewhere to start looking. The Weavers' Guild is probably the guild most unhappy about the Dungcarters and the Adventurers joining the council, because the Weavers are the most senior guild, and with every new guild lose power. I don't think you should go to their guildhouse, but instead go to their main warehouse, in the Docks district of town. It's right next to a church of Garl Glittergold, where my wife and Lankin go - I'm afraid even though I call on Pelor in my time of need, I'm not much of a churchgoer - but anyway, ask Lankin for a map of town to help you find your way there. It's not too far away; you could look into it this evening or if you'd rather rest you can wait until morning."

Just then Eldon comes in the front door.

Eldon
    It's alright Bruce, I just caught Brelgan in the foyer. I healed him and he explained everything to me. We must stop whoever did this or the next attack will be worse. Come, everyone, let me heal your wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone is back up to full hit points, but any spell slots you used are still empty.

23. - Top - End - #53

Victor, Half Elf Fighter

"My choice would be to go now, as they are not likely to expect us to recover from their trick so quickly. I assume we shall go armed?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian's look of concern vanishes, replaced with a smile, although his eyes flash red. He nods and chuckles at Bruce's enthusiasm, and walks towards the door.

You are right Victor. Surprise may well be our best ally. If no one has any quarrels with this plan, I will go wake Dravick and get my gear from my bunk.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric, human cleric

Aulric chuckles. "Morrow, surely you've blessed me with staunch and forthright comrades. Very well, then. Surian shall wake Dravick. I shall see Lankin and enquire about this map. Let us be swift!"

The warrior priest checks the clasps at his belt and adjusts a rib-cinch on his mail shirt.

"I will meet you all in the foyer momentarily." Turning to Eldon and Bruce, he says, "Sirs, we may re-pay you for this night's food and drink sooner than was thought!"

With that, Aulric heads back down to the storeroom, hunting for Lankin, hoping the quartermaster has time to find them this map Bruce spoke of.

Characters in Games:

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surian smiles and winks at Aulric before heading out the door towards the bunkroom. He find Dravick sleeping (if restlessly) and covered in a small layer of sweat. He places his hand on Dravick's shoulder and gently pushes him awake.

Awake, my friend. We travel to discover the perepetrators of the attack against us. And also, drive what happened back there to the very back of your mind. Keep it there as a reminder, but do not dwell on it. Regrets left unchecked will consume your entire being.

With that, Surian walks to his bunk and grabs his bow and quiver. He meticulously straps the quiver of arrows across his back and strings his bow, making sure the string is taut. He wipes down the bow quickly with a cloth covered in a substance he concocted in his time spent in the eastern mountains, giving the bow better flexibility. He takes the rest of his gear from the trunk and places it all in its proper place. He smiles at Dravick before walking back to the Common Room to see if any of his other companions had finished their preparations

27. - Top - End - #57

Victor, Half Elf Fighter

Pleased with the agreement, Victor heads upstairs and unpacks his more combat-oriented gear. He pulls on his studded leather and checks the buckles, then straps his shield to his back. As soon as he is ready, mace at his waist, bow in hand, he heads back downstairs.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick (human/bard):

Dravick wakes easily, feeling much better and ready to redeem himself to his group.

"Thank you friend, I will do as you suggest. I will learn from this experience, not dwell on it." He flashes a smile at Surian, and hops down from his bunk.

He opens his trunk and dons his leather armor. He straps his shortsword securely to his belt and tucks his dagger into his boot. He slings his quiver of arrows over his shoulder and picks up grabs his short bow. He fastens his cloak over his armor and affixes his adventurer's guild brooch over the left side of his chest. The rest of his belongings, with the exception of his lute, which he left downstairs leaning againt the wall in the common room before the explosion, he locks in his trunk and tucks the key into a pocket in his cloak.

He then strides purposefully and confidently downstairs to the common room to see what the state of affairs is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dravick will make a Knowlege (Local) check (+4) to see if he can guess who might have been behind the attack.

29. - Top - End - #59

Lankin is in the basement, curiously sitting on a bench, doing nothing but staring at the far wall. When Aulric asks him for the map, he goes into the equipment room and finds a crude sketch on a small piece of greasy vellum and gives it to Aulric.
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/AdvGuild/bridgeport.jpg

All that Dravick can come up with, pondering over who in Bridgeport might make an attack like that, is that large crates similar to their little "welcome package" are commonly used at the ocean port on the south end of town.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric

Aulric accepts the greasy vellum and gazes at the rough map, nodding to himself as he pinpoints various locales.

"My thanks, Lankin. Keep well!" the warrior priest bids the man, and ascends the stairs to the foyer. Once there, Aulric shows his fellows the map.

"Can any of you suggest a place to begin looking?" he asks, glancing around at his companions.

Characters in Games: