New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Badger IC

Surian Oron

Surian smiles appreciatively as Zan easily cuts the man down. He draws his bow as the other two men begin their retreat, but thinks better of it. He runs up to the church and pats Zan on the back.

I will help carry the body if someone else will help. And I think Kyte may have stayed behind in the warehouse, so someone should check on him as well. I think we should split up so that we may search each building as quickly as possible.
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"I agree. I'm going in the church, I need to know what those other guys were doing in there that was so important to keep us out."

Then Dravick enters the church, sword still in hand, ready for anything. He hopes...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (d20+1)[10]
    Search - (d20+2)[20]
    Listen - (d20+5)[21]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric

The shaved warrior priest shakes his head. Truly my hammer-hand is out of practice, but at least one of us was up to the task, he thinks, nodding at Zan.

Aulric listens to Dravick and Surian. "I'll see to Kyte. If there is one guard, there may be more."

Spoiler
    Show
    Search the guard for keys: (1d20+1)[9]

The cleric searches the guard, looking specifically for keys to the guildhall and church.

Spoiler
    Show
    If that crappy check roll should happen to find keys (like if they're on his belt or in a pouch), he'll try one on the guildhall to see if they're the right ones. The others he'll pass to Dravick in case they need access to the church.
    Last edited by Rafe; 2008-01-13 at 03:00 PM.
    "When two tigers fight, one will lose." -- Chinese proverb

Characters in Games:
    Gaimon Tarn, Human Dark Jedi | Second Golden Age of the Sith
    Brek Sorath, Dashade Soldier | Dawn of Defiance

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Victor

Victor can only stare as the seemingly timid Zan easily rips the man in half, then jerks himself back to reality and surveys the scene. "We may want to do something about all the blood. I doubt that this is the decoration Garl's priests really wanted for their temple." Then he turns to Surian. "Did you find nothing and no one in the warehouse?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If someone has a prestidigitation spell available, that makes combat cleanup easy.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

-Meanwhile-

"Surian!" Kyte's whispered shout sounds almost loud in the dark warehouse, but upon receiving no answer, he looks around and finds that Surian is gone.

He went to join the fighting. Kyte thinks to himself. I have no choice, then.

Kyte climbs down the ladder, using as much caution as possible to maintain his own safety and silence. He also keeps his eyes open, looking for any lights as he heads to the bottom of the ladder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's all the checks I assume you could possibly need...
    Move Silently - (1d20+7)[26]
    Spot - (1d20+4)[12]
    Listen - (1d20+4)[11]
    Search - (1d20+6)[13]

6. - Top - End - #156

Default What have I done?

The tip of Zan's scythe fell to the ground, the handle only being loosely grasped by the rather shocked cleric.

"Did.. I do that? Oh... oh Boccob...." He turned a little pale before violently shaking his head, Dravick's words reaching him. "R-right. I guess we should..."

Though he was shocked by the gruesome way in which the guard died, he knew it was for the best.. the man was evil. The reassurance from Surian and Aulric brought a slight smile across his face, and he felt a bit of comradery in the making. But now was no time to get all fussy over a bit of good luck; Zan had to continue his performance. He didn't want the others to be let down... so, he follwed Dravick into the church, doing his best to cover the blood on his weapon by putting it away.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kyte climbs down the ladder about ten feet until his feet touch rock at the bottom. He can not see anything in the darkness, and he does not hear anything either. The air around him is not damp, as one might expect underground, and is only slightly stale. More than anything else, he smells wool, the same smell as the bales of wool in the warehouse above.

__________________________________________________ ______

The interior of the church of Garl Glittergold might seem odd to one with no familarity of the sect. It is one large room, identical in shape to the warehouse next to it, and the wood is similarly rotting with little left of the peeling paint that once covered it. In stark contrast to the condition of the actual building, the church is decorated extravagantly. Four large engraved marble columns, only two of which match in style, have been installed in the four corners of the room. Exquisite tapestries depicting the Joker god are hung along the walls using cheap baler's twine. Four bronze statues of gnomes, about half of life-size, serve as the legs of an altar, the top of which is ivory inlaid with gold. Behind the altar is formidable-looking schronk made of bronze, the doors locked with three large padlocks. There are three or four dozen chairs in the room, in rows facing the altar, most of which are made of expensive woods, but they are mismatching and in poor condition, chipped and scratched and sometimes even broken. On the ground to the side of one chair lies a middle-aged male gnome, snoring, in an awkward position, as if he had fallen off the chair. He is dressed casually, as any working class gnome of Bridgeport might dress, but he has a light mace attached to a ring on his belt. Around his neck is a dirty hemp necklace, the strands of which are entertwined to hold a small gold nugget. A silver flask and two matching miniature mugs sit on another chair nearby.

Spoiler
    Show
    A schronk is like a wardrobe.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After looking around the area, Kyte climbs back up the ladder, looking for a light. He remembers the lantern he saw earlier in his search, and takes it off the wall from which it hangs. Unable to light it though, he follows Surian's exit, first checking to see whether or not anyone is still out there.

As Kyte looks out, he sees a gashed-up soldier and Zan holding a bloody scythe, with the others in the group standing around. They all head inside the church, and Kyte follows, needing a light. Upon entering the church, he surveys the area, then moves to one of the candle-lights on the wall and takes it. On the way out, he passes the man Zan had apparently killed, and stops. He notices Aulric is searching the man, apparently without success, for something.

"Let me help you with that." Kyte says to Aulric. Kneeling down, Kyte gives the man a once-over, looking for anything important the man might have carried.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (1d20+6)[14]
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-14 at 06:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Victor

After moving the body to behind some of the scrub in a nearby alley, Victor too enters the church. After glancing around, he moves towards the sleeping gnome and attempts to wake him. "Sir, are you alright?"

10. - Top - End - #160

Default Let's look around, then.

Zan took in the scenes from the church, and looked to Dravick. The sleeping gnome was what concerned him the most, so it's what he decided to inquire about.. whispering into Dravick's ear, of course.

"What do we do about him? Should we subdue him in some safe manner to make sure that he won't attack us, or take the chance and wake him up? Either way, we should contend with him before looking around."

Spoiler
    Show

In case Zan may have missed a detail, he does the standard examination.

Spot: (1d20+3)[15]
    Listen: (1d20+3)[17]
    Knowledge(Religion): (1d20+6)[14]

11. - Top - End - #161

Victor is unable to wake the sleeping gnome.

Searching the dead man, Kyte finds the following:
    -Traveler's clothing
    -Short sword
    -Belt pouch with: 6 cp, flint & steel

Zan looks around and listens carefully. There does not seem to be anyone heretofore unnoticed lurking somewhere in the church. All the decorations he sees are consistent with his knowledge of the worship of Garl Glittergold.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric

Turning to Kyte, he says, "Did you find aught in the guildhouse? We've come this far"-- he gestures at the corpse at their feet --"we need to be certain the building has been searched as thoroughly as possible."
    Last edited by Rafe; 2008-01-15 at 12:39 PM.

Characters in Games:

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Yes." Kyte answers, pocketing the pouch he finds. Lifting the short sword up from the man's body, he decides it is in fine enough condition, and takes its sheath as well. He sheathes the sword and slides it through his belt. "There was a covered trapdoor that leads somewhere underground. I came here because I needed a light, and I am going back there now. Come with me if you wish to see it - the building is empty for now."

Kyte stands, lantern dangling from one hand, lit candle in the other, and walks back to the weaver's guild, where he returns the lantern to its spot, and descends the ladder. He is careful to keep the candle stable, holding it so that any wax it drips does not fall on his hands. Upon reaching the bottom of the ladder, he once again surveys the now-lit underground area.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric

The warrior cleric follows Kyte, watchful of his surroundings. Stepping down the ladder, he murmurs quiet prayers and the holy symbol at his neck warms with light until the basement can be seen clearly.

With a smile he notes, "That will aid our search and leave your hands free." Aulric now takes a look around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+1)[17]
    Search: (1d20+1)[5]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[14]

Characters in Games:

15. - Top - End - #165

The underground chamber can now be seen clearly. It is actually little more than a short, wide tunnel, with a rock floor and wood beams along the walls and ceiling, presumably to brace against the dirt. Kyte and Aulric stand at one end of the tunnel, and there is another identical ladder at the other end of the tunnel, which, judging by the distance and direction, must lead to the church of Garl Glittergold.
    Along the walls of the tunnel are bales of wool, some of which are opened into halves like sandwiches rather than tied together tightly. Lying on these open bales are bundles of small-sized javelins and morningstars.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have just decreed that sandwiches shall have already been invented in this campaign world. Huzzah!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"The weaver's guild is stockpiling weapons." Kyte says offhandedly, his flat voice not even echoing off the tightly enclosed walls. He walks over to the other ladder and climbs it, intending to find out exactly where it goes. At the top of the ladder he opens the door above him and moves up into the church of Garl Glittergold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Depending on where he's standing, different things might happen. I'll wait for a description before continuing.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-15 at 07:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aulric

The priest nods, taking a closer look at the weapons. He notices their size and narrows his eyes, tucking this information away for later discussion. When Kyte moves to the far ladder, Aulric climbs the guild ladder, closes the hatch and replaces the canvas so signs of their entry were not as easily noticed. He leaves the guildhouse from the rear, making his way to the front of the church to Garl Glittergold.

Characters in Games:

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Seeing that Victor is attempting to wake the gnome, Dravick will go examine the flask and miniature matching mugs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search - (d20+2)[8]
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-01-16 at 12:26 AM. Reason: forgot to close my spoiler...doh
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

19. - Top - End - #169

Upon Dravick's examination, he finds the flask to still have some sort of liquid in it smelling strongly of alcohol, while the two cups are empty. There is nothing particularly remarkable about the flask or cups themself; they are without decoration.

What is remarkable is that just then, a small door pops open in one of the columns, in the corner of the church, and out steps Kyte! The door must have been cleverly concealed in the engravings of the column and the shadow of the corner.

20. - Top - End - #170

Victor

Victor gently lays the gnome back down, and then gives a little start as the door opens in the column. Seeing Kyte step out, he relaxes again. "How did you get in there?" he asks, furrowing his eyebrows."
    Last edited by SithLackey; 2008-01-16 at 06:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

After Kyte steps out Dravick examines the hidden door in the column and tries to discern if it can be opened from this side or only from the inside. Then after the has thoroughly examined the column he quietly walks to each of the other columns to see if he can find a similar hidden door in any of them. But before he can begin, he remembers the mess outside. This may take more then a few minutes, I wouldn't want a guard to be walking by and see the blood on the sidewalk while we're still inside. "Did you guys clean up the mess outside, and move the body?" With that he heads back to the doorway to see for himself.

Current Characters:

22. - Top - End - #172

Default You check that, and I'll...

Zan was going to check the flasks next, but Dravick beat him to it. He stepped over to check out the wardrobe-like structure in the front of the church when Kyte appeared.

"Uh... hi. Where did you come from?

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check, Wardrobe
    (1d20+3)[6]

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"There is a passage under the weaver's guild that leads here. If you aren't busy, come take a look. There are a stockpile of weapons there." Kyte answers all of them. He himself heads back down the passage - candle in hand - to retrieve the weapons stored there. After all Kyte thinks to himself, I see no reason for a weaver's guild to have weapons. If they are for an illegal purpose, we will be doing a favor removing them.

24. - Top - End - #174

In addition to looking for any creatures hiding on, under, or around the bronze schronk (he sees none), Zan looks closely at its workmanship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zan "takes 20" with Search skill.

It is made of solid bronze, the only open seams being two large doors. The bronze is etched with designs depicting Garl Glittergold as a jewelsmith. There are three pairs of handles on the doors, continuous with the bronze of the door itself, through which are three large steel padlocks. The hinges of the doors are set back within a groove in the bronze, such that one could not hammer loose the hinges with standard. bulky tools.

Dravick looks closely at the now-exposed mechanism of the door in the column.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dravick "Takes 20" with Search skill.

He eventually finds a small button hidden in the swirling decorative patterns of the column which releases the catch to open the secret door from the church. Inside the column, a small handle is obvious on the door for someone standing on the ladder to open it. The door has wavy sides rather than being a perfect rectangle, thus concealing its seams better in the grooves of the column. Dravick finds no secret doors in the other columns.

Lying on those bales of wool which are opened, Kyte finds two bundles of six morningstars each and two bundles of twelve javelins each, all sized for small creatures' usage.

25. - Top - End - #175

Default Okay.....

Zan looked at the locks before turning around.
    "Dravick, what did you find? Oh, and um.. I don't do locks."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kyte sets down the candle so that it stands alone but stays lit, and turns to one of the tied-up bales of wool. Pulling out a short sword, Kyte cuts off two of the bindings used on one of the bales of wool.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume that short swords do actually have blades, and the reason they are mainly piercing weapons is only because stabbing is the strongest form of attack with such a short blade.

Surprised to find more weapons, Kyte does the same with the other bale. He then takes the bindings and uses one to tie together the four sets of morningstars - fashioning a sort of sling that he can use to hang the set across his back. He then does the same thing with the spears. Hefting the two sets of weapons onto his back in a sort of backpack, Kyte climbs back up the ladder with the small-sized weapons in tow.

Once at the top, Kyte hears Zan say something about not doing locks. Kyte walks over and sets down his medium load so as to inspect the wardrobe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kyte takes 20 on Search (+6), Spot (+4), and Listen (+4) to detect traps, flaws in craftmanship, magic qualities, or anything else unusual about the wardrobe.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-21 at 09:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Spoiler
    Show
    (In spoiler so Kyte's actions can be edited) There are two opened bales and two closed ones. When Kyte cuts the twine on one of the closed ones, he will find another bundle of 6 small morningstars and 12 small javelins. The same if he cuts open the last bale (which would make a total of 24 morningstars and 48 javelins, weighing a total of 110 lbs).
    Kyte's checks don't reveal anything new about the schronk.

28. - Top - End - #178

Default One of two ways....

Zan watched Kyte looking over the locked structure.

"If you think it's too much for you, then we could just break it down, or open. Of course, I'd assume picking it is the best way. Oh, and I think I know how to wake up the gnome...."

29. - Top - End - #179

Victor

"Well then, please do. I've a feeling it's not his custom to pass out in churches late at night. Especially not when armed friends just paid him a visit."

30. - Top - End - #180

Default Wakey wakey, you!

Zan nodded. "Fine. Here I go." He focused for a few seconds...

Spoiler
    Show

Zan uses "Create Water". I'm not sure if the gnome gets rolls, since he's asleep... and the water should hit splash on his face anyway. Wake up, Gnome!