New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom: Team 1 (IC)

Marshek Taruuc

Sheathing his sword Marshek rubs his battle-worn muscles, still eying the robed hobgoblin with hatred and ready to bring a fist crashing into his kinsman's face if need be. He waves over Aramina, nodding to Arsenals input.

"True, she'll make better use of it than any of us."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Aramina looks at the goggles, nods, and says, "Yes, I could use these. Does anyone else want them? If not, I'll put them to good use." She gives a small smile, looking expectantly at her companions.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

The artificer hands the goggles to the archer with a nod. "Did you hear my explanation?" Arsenal asks.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

Kallan:
    Spoiler
    Show

The clerics face shows signs of worry, but he manages to shake them off. "You can do no such thing. You may be able to desecrate my corpse you vile necromancer, but you can not hurt my soul. My master and his red hand will destroy you all., there is no hope for you and your kind.

Any further questions are met with little more than insults.

5. - Top - End - #65

Kallan dismisses the soul. Any questions directed at him are met with a sulky glare.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-01-10 at 05:28 PM.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

6. - Top - End - #66

Marshek Taruuc

"Take it for now Aramina, we can redistribute equipment if we need to when we get to the town."

Seeing Kallan sulking Marshek laughs and bares his teeth.

"Don't worry friend, we've got a live one here."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

BardGuy

Aramina accepts the goggles, "Thank you. These should help me."

She then turns her attention to the surrounding woods, allowing the others to direct the questioning while she keeps watch for possible reinforcements.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

8. - Top - End - #68

Marshek Taruuc

After handing the goggles to the archer Marshek turns to his captive and grabs him roughly by the throat and hair. Leaning in close he growls at the man in thick goblin.

"Your companion over there," he nods towards one of the electricity burned corpses on the edge of the path, "Said something interesting before he died, he said "Death to Lhesh Haruuc." Betraying the one who led our people into dominance over this land is punishable by death, mongrel! And it's death that will come for you, you just have to choose the method."

"You tell us everything about who you are and the reason your group attacked us, and you'll be imprisoned and forced to work until your death when your soul can go where it may. If you don't say anything then I give you to him," Marshek takes his hand off the captive's hair and points to Kallan, "He uses your soul to fuel his spells and raises your corpse to fight until it falls apart. It's your choice, make it quickly."

Having said his piece he begins draging the hobgoblin over to Kallan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Making a long-winded Intimidate check. If Kallan wishes to make an Intimidate check as well then this can be treated as an Aid Another instead.

Intimidate - (1d20-1)[6]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-01-20 at 02:22 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Seeing as Marshek is being approximately as scary as musty styrofoam, Kallan decides to help him out. Walking over to the captive hobgoblin, Kallan runs a (skeletal) hand down the side of his enemy's face. Although the touch itself is as soft as a feather, the razor sharp points still draw lines of blood. In an immensely disturbing voice, Kallan begins to speak. "Oh yes, I can show you horrors that would drive every sliver of sanity from your mind. I could force you to endure horrors that shouldn't even be physically possible. I could force you to suffer years in agony before you died. I can do it all, and I will, unless you just answer our questions."

(1d20+13)[19]

((OOC edit: All I need is one good roll, and I can make my enemies piss themselves. So far...I've gotten a 6 and an 11. Joy.))
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-01-20 at 01:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

Closer inspection of this creature shows his body to be warped and almost completely scarred. It is unclear if they are self inflicted, but it is clear this creature has suffered through incredibly amounts of pain.

The creature tries to stay quite while Marshek speaks, but his atempt at "intimidation" is jsut too much to take. "What are you trying to do? Am I supposed to fear you?" he gives Marshek a wicked smile, his teeth are sharp and crooked. Haruuc is weak, what does he do with his might? Nothing!, he sells of his soldiers as mercenaries, deals with other nations when he should conquer!,...but who cares now, the Red hand is coming.

When Kallan finishes speaking. Whatever horrors you can show me I have seen worse. I am finished, I have already spoken too much, try your worst young necromancer, I assure you, you will get more response out of torturing your puppets over there.he glances over to our undead minions.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

The warforged observes the interactions silently. Strange how they threaten and ignore those threats, he thinks to himself. Arsenal stands still, a silent sentinel among the fleshed beings.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

((I'm assuming you don't kill the prisioner, if you do just say so and ignore the question about him.))

After a few uneventful hours you manage to arrive to town before nightfall. The tied hobgoblins, while not fully cooperating, don't present any significant resistance to your travel. The road descend into a town built mostly on the near side of a broad, sluggish river. You notice Six old stone piers marking the spot where a bridge once stood, but the span itself is long gone. Instead a couple of long thick ropes cross the river, each secured to a flat-bottomed ferryboat. Brown fields and green orchards surround the town.

A group of armed guards stands watch. Six in total, 4 hobgoblin, 1 human, 1 goblin. The goblin and 2 hobgoblin are wearing leather armor, The belly and part of the torso of each armor, is painted a light blue-ish color. The other two hobgoblins and the human wear chain armor, decorated in purples and green. One of the hobgoblins armor carries the crest that you all recognize as House Deneith's.

As soon as they notice you, and the tied hobgoblin, a mail wearing hobgoblin signals to the goblin while the other four ready their polearms. The hobgoblin approaches you and speaks: "Halt!, what is your business in Drellin's Ferry?, and what exactly is going on here?", he points at the tied prisoner.
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2008-01-21 at 08:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Kallan grins sadistically, moving his arm in such a way so as to reveal its skeletal nature. "He and a larger group attacked us. We taught them them that banditry is bad."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The hobgoblin takes a quick step back as he notices Kallan's arm, but then regains his composure.

Deneith crest wearing hobgoblin

"Well that answers whats with him, sadly bandit activity near the outskirts of town has increased in the past few days. We'll gladly take care of this savage." He glares at the prisioner, who quickly return the favor. "Now what is your business in town?"

15. - Top - End - #75

"We received a message from Norro Winston asking for our aid."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Deneith crest wearing hobgoblin

"Oh yes, we were to expect you , I'll send word you have arrived." He looks each party member up and down, nodding approvingly of Marshek in particular, glad to see a fellow hobgoblin. "I believe he wants to talk to you about the bandits." He motions to the other side and the ferry boat starts moving towards this side of the river. "He will meet you in the Old Bridge Inn momentarily, you will find it after you cross the river. Kellin runs the place, feel free to ask him fro accommodations and supplies."

Two of the guards relieve you of the prisioner and get on the ferry with the creature. "We'll keep this one In that big stone building if you need him for anything" The ferry ride takes about 6 minutes. Once on the toher side finding the inn is of no difficulty.

The Old Bridge Inn

The building is of decent size and seems well kept. You enter to the common room, its full of goblinoids with the odd human scattered around. Most are drinking and many are doing gambling of any sort, lots of card playing and dice throwing, also cursing lots of cursing. A thin, older looking goblin seems to be shouting instructions, and ordering people around and as you enter he turns to you. "Yes? What do you want?"

map to date:
    Spoiler
    Show

You are near the red X.

I'll be filling the spots of interest as you get near them.
    8. Old toll house (Jail)
    10: The Old Bridge Inn
    16. Gausler's Brewhouse
    17: Jendar's Warehouse.
    18: Sterrell's provisioning
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2008-01-22 at 09:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

The warforged follows along silently, observing and cataloguing streets, alleys and locales. As usual, Arsenal leaves the conversation for Marshek or others as many continue to treat his kind as property rather than sentient beings.

18. - Top - End - #78

Kallan addresses the goblin. "We're looking for Norro Winston."

19. - Top - End - #79

Marshek Taruuc

Marshek nods back in respect to the hobgoblin guardsman and pushes the captive towards the other soldiers.

"This one's a mage, so be sure to keep him from casting any spells. That's my rope too, so I'll pick it up from the jail later."

Nodding again to the soldiers Marshek departs with the others. In a way, he enjoyed the ferry ride. The peaceful lull of the river helped to wash the fatigue of battle away while he went over what they knew already and had to do in his head.

The inn was easy to find like the guardsman said and once inside Marshek grinned widely at the smell of goblin food and drink. Following Kallan to the counter he responds to the goblin in their tongue after Kallan speaks.

"The guards told us that you would direct us, Kellin right?"
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Kellin Shadowbanks

He looks a bit puzzled by Kallan's request. "Afraid I just ran out of Norros...This is an inn, I can serve you a meal or offer you a room, both of which I have plenty off, political figures not so much."

He turns towards Marshek. "Karsh must have sent you, he has the tendency to send all sorts of strangers my way. Good lad that one, sad I hear he's being shipped out to some brellish noble once he finished training here." He shakes his head and once again focuses on Marshek. "Need directions eh? Well buy some drinks and start asking."
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2008-01-22 at 01:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

Given no need to imbibe or ingest anything, Arsenal places himself adjacent to the door through which the group entered and observes the clientele, also noting additional exits from the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+11)[24]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

Arsenal:

Spoiler
    Show

There are about 3 other noticeable ways out of the room. A set of large doors in the opposite end of the entrance you used, stairs to your right as you enter, and a door behind the bar area.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

The warforged vigilantly observes the clientele, looking for any signs of over-interest in the newly arrived group.

24. - Top - End - #84

Marshek Taruuc

Marshek hands a gold coin to the barkeep.

"Get me a good ale, and something to eat. So where are the best shops for weapons, equipment, and magic in this town?"

After the goblin answers Marshek begins to look around for a place to sit.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Kellin

Kellin grabs the coin, inspects it for a few seconds and then signals to another goblin. You find a suitable table near a wall, and Kelin brings you a mug of ale, and a leg of some sort of animal, tastes like chicken. "We have several shops in town, depends what you are looking for. Weapons and armor you go to Morlin's place, the Deneith humans are supposed to have a decent armory but they don't really sell anything, except older items to the town guard. The shrine to Dol Dorn can probably sell you a few magic items, as can Sertieren the Wise. Sertieren is not really a businessman, and is not always in the mood for business. Delora can supply you with any of your pack animal needs. Umm lets see what else...oh yeah Jarret sells some gear and clothing."

Arsenal:
    Spoiler
    Show

You notice no specific interest in the group. You get a few passing glances, and a few stares from the younger goblins but nothing that would make you uneasy.

A few minutes after you have setteled another group enters the inn, 2 armored humans, 1 plainsclothed human, a hobgoblin female, and what you recognize as Norro Winston, who has grown a mustache since the last tiem you saw him. "I heard you arrived" he smiles. "How are you my friends. Glad you could make it." his face turns serious. "It seems we have a problem." He signals Kellin who leads both parties through a door into an empty room. "As it seems you've already experienced ,the areas around my town are growing ever more dangerous. This is the reason I called you here. The road has always been a target for bandits, but lately they have increased very noticeably, and we've had some raids in the outer farmlands.The hobgoblin interrupts. "We assume the attacks are coming from the woods, I sent some of my men to investigate, but sadly none have returned."

Norro

"Where are my manners, This is Captain Sorrana, she's in charge of the town guard. Like she says, although we have been effective driving back any raids, we have been unable locate the bandits hiding place. This is where I was hoping you could help. I sent some scouts not long ago into the forest, to see what they could find, sadly none have returned. I fear my men are just not trained for this. We were hoping you could help us locate this band, and possibly drive it from the forest."

Norro:

Map to date (updated)
    Spoiler
    Show

You are near the red X.

I'll be filling the spots of interest as you get near them.
    2: Open air market, mostly selling produce.
    3: Nice house, has two guards in Deneith colors standing outside.
    5: Morlin's smithy
    6. Shrine to Dol Dorn
    7. Sertherrien's house
    8: Jail
    9: Stone building
    10: The Old Bridge Inn
    11. Jarred Sundries
    12: Delora's place.
    13: Wooden building.
    17: Jendar's Warehouse.
    18: Sterrell's provisioning

Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2008-01-24 at 03:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Kallan listens intently. "We would be happy to help. When shall we set out?"

27. - Top - End - #87

BardGuy

"Do you know much about the woods around here? I don't know the local area, and I didn't see that any of these looked like a woodsman," Aramina replies, gesturing to her companions.

"A local guide would help me."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

The warforged steps forward from his position by the door of the meeting room to draw the attention of those gathered. His booming voice drowns out any noise from the common room, but seems focused forward so only those before him are best able to hear. "Norrowinston. What have these bandits taken? What armaments and magics have they utilized? Are they all goblinoids? Are they utilizing basic hit-grab-and-run tactics?" After speaking Arsenal returns to his former position.

29. - Top - End - #89

Marshek Taruuc

Marshek nods along with the questions of the others, scowling slightly at how quickly Kallan pledged their assistance. Though he had no other desire than to track down the traitors at the moment there was no point rushing into things.

"True, a guide and a run down of their tactics would help. There's something that concerns me though. When they attacked us they had two hell hounds with them, and normal bandits wouldn't be able to control such beasts. Have you seen any other creatures assisting them?"
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Norro

"The bandits haven't been taking anything you wouldn't expect them too. The have mostly hit the outer farms, stealing supplies and destroying property. The town guard combined with my trainees is too strong for them to try any raids closer to town. They have also been targeting travelers across the Dawn way. ((The Dawn way is the main road in the are, your attack occurred in a part of the Dawn way.)) The road north has been practically closed, but that part has not been of much use lately, since it eventually leads into what once was Cyre."

"As for guides you can check with Jorr. He's an old soldier who settled in aa cabin just inside the forest. He's not the friendly type, but he's an expert on those woods, and he tends to dislike the Dakhaani bandits, very loyal to the Rhukaan Taash I hear."

"There have been no reports of weird creatures, apart from the expected Worgs."

"Ahh here." heh and the party a bag. "A few thing we collected to help you, and a map of the area. I've been allowed to offer you 600 pieces of gold if you succeed. Any more questions? If not good luck hunting."

map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Remember to flip horizontally.
    A is the road.
    B are trails.
    C is Jorr's cabin.

bag:
    Spoiler
    Show

2 scrolls labeled: cure light wounds.
    2 scrolls labeled: identify.