New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: Trifecta: The Stones' Teeth

Evi's eyes light up, not at the talk of money but rather at the talk of salvage. The duke's constraint about items of "historical importance" seems to her easy enough to get around, but does leave open to question the most important type of salvage from her perspective. "Pardon me, your grace, you have been most generous in your offer. However, as a simple slave to text, I feel I must inquire as to the disposition of any books or non-magical scrolls that might be found. After all, their historical importance is often in the eyes of the reader, rather than those of the public." Evi is as polite and soft-spoken as possible, following in Betsy's thus-far successful footsteps, but it is clear that this is an issue near and dear to her bookish heart.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Corwin

Corwin leans back in his chair with a small satisfied grin at Evi. "Exactly," he says turning back to the Duke. "Even if such items must eventually be turned over to the state, we must retain the right to at least study those items before that time, perhaps making copies for our own interests." His tone is considerably more insistant than the demure one the ladies had adopted.

And that's why I like Evi. He must agree to at least our requests. If he didn't, how would he know if we read them anyway?
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2008-01-04 at 07:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course, you're welcome to read or study anything you find. But leave those items in the castle, do not claim them for your own. It appears we have a bargain then, do we not?" He appears inclined to ignore the minor disagreements among the group in favor of reaching an accord.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Evi returns Corwin's grin with one of her own when she hears what the Duke has to say, then turns and nods at Betsy happily.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

With a light nod, Betsy says evenly, "Yes, we do. Would you please enlighten us as to the specific conditions we must meet to have this task considered complete?" With this, she lowers her gaze back to the plate and starts carefully and meticulously arranging the remaining food so it looks like she has eaten more than she actually has.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Morland nods. "The task is simple. Explore the keep thoroughly, and make note of its condition. Leave items of historical value where they are for the time being. Once you've finished, report to Commander Selkirk as to the condition of the keep. If it's habitable, what repairs are needed, that sort of thing. If you encounter anything hostile along the way, you're allowed to deal with it in whatever manner you see fit."
    Last edited by DarkLadyOfTheSith; 2008-01-08 at 11:55 AM.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

Nodding, yet clearly disappointed that the team will be putting forth all the effort before any sign of payment, Gilad puts down his fork and reaches for his goblet of wine.

Looking around at his companions, it is apparent that he thinks everything is settled as far as the negotiations and terms.
    Much thanks to Simius, creator of awesome avatars, and first hero of the Dungeon of Graves

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

If there is anything else to discuss at this point, it probably doesn't require Betsy to say anything. She's asked all the questions she's likely to think of, and is already starting to think that maybe she was a little too forward with the Duke. She has to do her job, and he doesn't seem put off by any of it, but there is still that niggling doubt, just starting to eat away at her. At least some part of her is enjoying a meal.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

The duchess speaks up for the first time. "Since you seem to have worked out the details, perhaps you could regale us with tales of your past adventures?" she inquires, seemingly eager to hear some story or other.

10. - Top - End - #70

Turning to the duchess, proud to relive one of his most heroic moments, gilad begins his tale...

"This tale does not include the entire party, merely myself and Ovurka here, "
    nodding towards his valued orcish companion
    "But one night, not more than a year past, we were travelling together as mercenaries in the troop known as the Silver Shadows. Our small patrol was ambushed by a large troop of goblins, we later found out they were a full forty-three creatures strong. Our patrol of 6 managed to find defensible ground and we set up a makeshift defense behind a heavily wooded thicket. We lost many good men that night, I cannot lie, however at the end of the night, only the two of us,"
    this time grabbing Ovurka's hand and a tear falling from his eye, clearly mourning those who had fallen,
    "still stood. Our blades running red with their blood, we had killed them all, every last one of them coming at us. To this day I'm not sure what drove the last goblin to continue his assualt on his own. Perhaps it was anger, perhaps a chance at vengeance for his fallen clan. But our four comrades lay dead at our backs, Bows broken or tossed aside, wounds bound as best we could, but slain in the tremendous assault nonetheless. We stayed with the Shadows another 4 months, but at the end off our contracts we struck out on our own, together. It truly was miraculous, the gods smiled upon us that day."

At this point he trails off, allowing for his companions to share similar tales if they so choose, but clearly done with his own reminiscence.
    Much thanks to Simius, creator of awesome avatars, and first hero of the Dungeon of Graves

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

The dwarf doesn't think to rise from his seat, and it wouldn't add much to his height if he did, but he does speak up.

Witch Head.

Seeing that that doesn't really tell the story, he takes a sip of water and continues.

I travelled alone for a while before I was lucky enough to meet these fine folks. Came to the village of Paltry. I think it's probably under your protection, Duke, but I don't expect you to have visited. It's basically a handful of huts, a shrine and a big silo, really, serving the farmers there-abouts. Well, when I got there, four of the kids had taken ill with Witch Head. Seems like a cold at first, and then your face kind of breaks out in these nasty sores, pus everywhere. Nasty thing. One of the kids had died from it already.

I got lucky, had read about Witch Head, and was able to find some Cooper's Weed to help settle the sores. Didn't explain where it'd come from, though, till we noticed a tang in the stream-water. Turns out there'd been some kind of battle upstream, musta been some dead bodies in the water, polluting everything.

I stayed there four weeks, after trekking upstream to bury the bodies. Helped them build a cartesian well, away from the stream, so's they weren't so dependent on the stream water. Cute kids, there. Hung around, once they got better. Some even helped with the well, in their fashion. That was...nice.

His voice has gotten quieter. He looks up, embarrassed.

Sorry, your Ladyship. I don't think that was quite the adventure tales you were asking for. But...well, it felt good. Important, you know?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

The duchess listens raptly to all the stories, although she blanches a little at some of Orwell's more colorful descriptions. The dinner eventually winds to a close and your group is dismissed with instructions to pick up your provisions the next morning.

When you arrive at the army post, a guard greets you and takes you to a small pack train. Included are provisions for a month and a half, a week's supply of feed for the horses, tents, cooking utensils, spices, seven climber's kits, four crowbars, three shovels, three picks, four hammers, five hundred feet of silk rope, five grappling hooks, fourteen waterskins, twenty sunrods, a hundred tindertwigs, twenty flasks each of alchemist's fire, acid and holy water, twenty tanglefoot bags, a dozen vials of antitoxin, fifty cure light wounds potions, a wand of cure moderate wounds, and a wand of light. There are also scrolls for you to give to the commander in Aldar with instructions to restock your foodstuffs, and provide you further detail on the castle.

(I don't recall off the top of my head, and I'm a bit busy to look up, who already had horses, but if you don't have one, there's one for you to ride (a mule in Orwell's case), and three heavy packhorses. I'm pausing here for any roleplay/reaction you wish to make, but I'll speed you on your way to Aldar tomorrow.)

13. - Top - End - #73

RogueGirl

It's as well for Ovurka that the dinner is over, because when Gilad told their story, her mind started to wander - back to the times with the Silver Shadows, back to other mercenary groups before that, back to training with Loghren and the thrill of picking up the weapon of her ancestors, even back to the one night that set her on the hectic path of an adventurer to begin with. She is certainly quite quiet for the rest of the day, except for softly asking Gilad, that evening, "It still makes you sad to remember that fight, huh?"
    Subtlety is the art of changing something just enough
    that people notice the difference,
    without noticing the change.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

The dinner cannot end soon enough from Betsy's point of view. It's not obvious from watching her, as she gives polite attention to everyone, but she lets out a very small, light sigh of relief once the place is out of sight. "I was too pushy. I'm sorry." She blushes very lightly, just a mere hint of pink in her cheeks. "It's my fault he didn't agree to more. I can be such a clumsy oaf about this kind of thing." Though she's on Duantan's arm, she says it generally, to everyone.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Evi smiles at her friend. "Betsy, I thought that you were amazing! And look at everything that you were able to gain for us. And those stories, Gilad and Orwell! I'll have to corner you both some day so that I can write down everything!" She sighs happily and enjoys the walk through the cool night air with her companions, belly full of good food and mind in the stars.

16. - Top - End - #76

Old scars may be more tender, but if you pick at them too much, they still hurt.

Having retrieved his greatsword on the way out, he immediately returned it to its customary place over his shoulder.

The next day as they arrive at the army post, Gilad turns to the others.

Having been in a situation where i've been thrust into battle unexpectedly, I would like to suggest that we distribute some of the supplies even for the journey.

Not the pickaxes or shovels of course, but if anyone can use a healing wand, I think they should at least take one in case of an emergency.

Looking around to the others for agreement or argument, he prepares to follow through on his suggestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gilad will tuck a wand of CLW into his belt unless someone proposes a strong objection
    Last edited by faithfreebible; 2008-01-09 at 10:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

The dwarf is eager to agree with Evi.

I thought you were magnificent, Betsy. I'd have just taken the first thing he offered. You were amazing!

And, we can spread out the supplies if you like, but my cart's pretty sturdy. It won't go very fast, but it doesn't break down too often. And ever since that situation with the kobold and the caltrop, I don't like riding horse and saddle too much. Feh. The place has been there this long. We'll get there soon enough.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Corwin

Corwin waits until they are well away from the duke's residence before speaking again. "You did fine, Betsy. The man didn't seem like the type who would be moved far from his initial offer anyway. At least he agreed to the salvage rights, except for those items of historical significance. And, that, it appears, is up to us to determine as well, so it is not a major loss as far as I'm concerned," he says with a smirk.

The next morning, Corwin looks over the piles of supplies. "I feel like we've already had our payday. There must be in the neighborhood of twenty-five hundred gold worth of alchemical items here alone. Not to mention the potions, wands and other various items. Hopefully this isn't an indication of how troublesome this journey will be. Of course, you know I can use most magic items without difficulty, but I'm afraid that these particular spells are not ones that we hermetics usually learn. While I can use them, I'm probably not as skilled with them as others would be. Besides, I used part of the wealth gained from our last mission to purchase a healing wand of my own anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    I would have no problem with you grabbing a CLW wand if there was one. What I saw were...
    Potions of CLW
    Wand of CMW
    Wand of Light (I'm assuming the cantrip) Unless DLotS meant CLW

Also, since we've been adventuring together for awhile, Gilad would probably have some idea that Corwin had Use Magic Device at +7, but seems to be much better with scrolls (+11). He likes to try to trade his hermetic scrolls for scrolls of other magic types to expand his repetoire (sp?).
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2008-01-10 at 02:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

(FFB: There're two wands. One is Cure moderate wounds, the other is light-- yes, the cantrip to help you see in the dark, not cure light wounds. There are a lot of Cure light wounds potions though.)
    Last edited by DarkLadyOfTheSith; 2008-01-10 at 01:19 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Wands? I meant potions of course. They are very useful in case of an emergency, but would barely help us if they were left on the pack horse

After correcting himself, Gilad grabs two potions and puts them in his belt pouch with the others of the same sort that he always carries.

Spoiler
    Show

thanks for catching that, i read it incorrectly, but i WAS wondering why there would be 50 wands of CLW :-p
    also, i just rechecked my sheet and realized UMD isnt a duskblade skill and i actually have -1 in it
    Last edited by faithfreebible; 2008-01-10 at 01:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan chuckles softly and nods to Betsy after her apology. "You did do fine," he says, patting her arm. "We got more than enough, even if there isn't anything there," he says. "I have a feeling it'll be an adventure without a doubt." He smiles towards her as they walk along.

The next morning he surveys the supplies with everyone else, letting out a long, slow whistle. "Impressive," he remarks as he looks over things. He moves and gathers a few things from the supplies, placing them within his backpack without apparent difference in its weight or shape. He makes a few suggestions to Betsy as they gather the supplies.

"We don't exactly have to weigh any of us down," he says, motioning towards the three heavy pack horses. "We have additional cargo space."

Spoiler
    Show

Duantan's procurring:
    {table]1|climber's kit
    50'|silk rope
    2|waterskins
    3|sunrods
    15|tindertwigs
    2|flasks of alchemist's fire
    2|flasks of acid
    2|flasks of holy water
    2|tanglefoot bags
    2|vials of antitoxin
    5|cure light wounds potions[/table]
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.
    Santanya: Its an addition. I need my fix.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

"Oh. Um. Oh." Upon being assaulted by reassurances from all sides, Betsy blushes a darker pink that is much more noticeable and watches the ground go by. Even after all this time, it's still disconcerting that these people, her friends, have nothing bad to say. She still just naturally expects someone to suggest that her posture was poor, or her speech to brash, or her manner not proper, or...something.

In the morning, she has her new pair of wands, tied together with two blue ribbons, hanging from her belt on her right side. Her scrollcase hangs on her left. Otherwise, as always, she looks the same: hair a tumble of golden curls and dressed for a dinner party.

She looks over the assembled supplies upon arriving, stunned and pale. Torn between feeling accomplished and feeling embarrassed about having convinced the Duke to part with more than he probably intended, Betsy chooses predictably. She blushes a brilliant scarlet. "I...I didn't mean all of- Oh my." After an audible swallow, she says quietly, "I don't think I would be good at riding on my own."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

(Anything further you wish to do in Medro before we move on?)

24. - Top - End - #84

Gilad chooses a mount from the ones offered. A stable looking beast with no true military training, but a beautiful Brown color that matches his own complexion.
    Once mounted he awaits the others before offering to take a position towards the front of the column, his usual position in case of attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    nope

25. - Top - End - #85

RogueGirl

Ovurka, not entirely sure what to make of the rich collection of supplies, just leaves it alone, figuring that the others will probably know better what to do with everything, and she'll be fine as long as she has her axe with her. She is still quite impressed with the array. "Well got, Betsy," she grins at Betsy, with warm pride and congratulation. "Equipment for getting there, huh? Good thinking. Lots."

She chooses a strong black horse, patting it reassuringly and mounting to trot up beside Gilad, taking her usual place as his partner. Back in her own ragged, autumn-colored clothes, she looks and feels much more confident and cheerful. "This will be great," she says, to everyone in general, smiling with the anticipation of another exciting adventure.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

A massive chestnut gelding pulls Orwell and his cart away from Medro. The back already has a niche for a sturdy box of tools that, the others know, hold tinkerer's tools and some basic forge equipment. The cart itself shows signs of wear, but its wooden structure has also been reinforced with a metal axle and some other bits of iron, the better to withstand the rigors of travel. Shovels, mauls, pickaxes and tarps are bundled together in the cart, and the grinning dwarf sits proudly on the wooden seat.

Ovurka, you're looking fine and feted and ready for bear. Ready for another leap into the unknown?

27. - Top - End - #87

RogueGirl

"For bear?" says Ovurka, giving Orwell an amused/confused look, "If it was just a bear, I think they could have handled it themselves. And bears aren't feeted quite that big... and neither am I." She looks down at her own feet, looking befuddled.
    "Ready to go, though?" She grins again. "You bet. Leaping into the unknown is always interesting."
    Last edited by Serpent Stare; 2008-01-11 at 10:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Evi looks a bit uncomfortable on her borrowed steed, but presses on cheerfully.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan chuckles softly, watching Betsy for a moment. "If you would like you can ride with me still of course," he says. "You do not have to take your own." He watches her as he finishes packing his warhorse, tightening the saddlebags closed.
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.
    Santanya: Its an addition. I need my fix.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

If there is one thing that can always be counted on, it's for Betsy to be able to blush a little bit more, no matter how red she already is. Ovurka's encouragement deepens the scarlet she already has, but she gives a small smile in response along with it.

Betsy looks over the horses that have been offered to them. If I would like. They are awfully pretty. Of course, one more horse being ridden means one more horse to feed and take care of. "I guess I shouldn't take one if I don't know how to take care of it. That would be rude." She puts a hand up to her cheek, as if trying to siphon some of the blush away with it. "To someone, I'm sure." She doesn't say anything else to justify opting to continue riding with Duantan. After all, being rude is, well, just plain rude.

Just as she does every time she takes his hand to climb up onto the horse behind him, she hesitates ever so slightly. And takes what seems like an excessively long time to stop fidgeting and finally put her arms around him. It isn't until they are free of the city that she actually relaxes and leans into him, resting her cheek on his back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Betsy isn't taking anything for herself. She doesn't have a pack and I don't want her encumbered.