New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: Trifecta: The Stones' Teeth

Ovurka opens her mouth, and stops, and closes it again, turning away from Corwin and looking blankly forward. But... couldn't he trust us more if we were being honest? She thinks to herself, but does not press the matter, knowing that Corwin is more clever than she is, and probably knows what he's doing. Umm, probably. She just keeps her mouth shut and keeps riding, feeling slightly hurt and embarassed.
    Subtlety is the art of changing something just enough
    that people notice the difference,
    without noticing the change.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

Betsy ceases her fidgeting at Corwin's announcement of his intentions. The smile drops into a frown. He doesn't really mean to do that, does he? Just do that to someone for no real reason? I could- He doesn't care what I think, though. Rightly so. Looking back at Duantan, she bites her lip a little bit and shakes her head very slightly, but says nothing.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

The dwarf sighs a bit at Corwin's habitual pessimism.

Well, in my experience, people are usually pretty nice, at least until you get to know them. But I suppose if you think it's important, I'll trust you.

Stopping the cart a respectful distance from the little temple, Orwell looks for a place to tie Beatrice up - not that she's likely to go too far too fast. If no one has volunteered to do so, he'll offer a perfunctory sign of respect at the entrance, and then step into the temple to look for Parthos.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion (1d20+9)[10] as Orwell tries to discern who this is a temple TO, and how important/well maintained it is.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan chuckles slightly. "There shouldn't be need to immediately," he says. "Lets talk to him and see how his reactions are before you cast anything on him." He glances towards Corwin. "If it fails, there's little doubt that he WILL be unfriendly, which is a much worse outcome, no?" he raises an eyebrow, looking over his blue tinted spectacles. "If you cannot play nice with your toys, I will be forced to take them away," he says, grinning slightly and lets out a soft chuckle, obviously joking, as they arrive at the chapel.

He helps Betsy dismount, then lowers himself. After tying the horse, he moves towards the temple's entrance. He pauses, glancing it over once before entering, attempting to be respectful.
    Last edited by Santanya; 2008-03-24 at 10:08 AM.
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.
    Santanya: Its an addition. I need my fix.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Corwin

"Fine, whatever," Corwin says in a bit of a snit. "If he answers our questions, I won't cast. Though it'll be hard to tell if he's being honest without a spell. Maybe I could do a Truthre... Nah. You all seem too ready to trust this guy for that." He sighs and continues toward the chapel.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

The symbol of the cornucopia on the door is a dead give-away to Orwell (and anyone else) that the temple is dedicated to Gershal-- a not-uncommon happenstance in small villages, although perhaps a little out of place in these mountain valleys.

The interior is warm and it's clear that the temple building serves the role of hospital and inn as well as a place of worship. A heavy-set human, with almost the same build as Orwell, only significantly taller, is bent over a large pot set in the fireplace, stirring it with a large wooden spoon. He looks up as the party enters, although he doesn't stop his motion. "Yes? Are you in some need?" The man's voice is deep and rumbling; the symbol of the cornucopia can be seen dangling from his neck as he turns to greet the party.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

The dwarf gestures behind him.

Hello, sir! Well, we were sent by the...prince, was it? Lieutenant. All these titles always confuse me. Anyway, my companions and I are here to check in about some kind of monster here-abouts. Help out however we can. Oh, and we're looking for a guy named Parthos. Porthos? No, it was Parthos.

And to have stew. I don't suppose that that's stew there?

Barely waiting for a response, Orwell trots back to the doorway and calls out.

It's okay. It's a temple to Gershal. No one trying to kill me or anything.

He steps back in, smiling cheerfully.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

As soon as she recognizes the temple, Betsy climbs down off the horse. There's no reason to be worried about meeting a priest of Gershal, and she follows Orwell in, staying a few paces behind him. "Unless there's someone who needs the stew more, of course. We wouldn't want to take food from those who truly need it. But we would appreciate some of your time, regardless."

9. - Top - End - #189

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan chuckles as he helps Betsy dismount, then moves into the Temple. He nods his head respectfully to the man, who seemed to him to be at least the cleric of the temple.

"Sent by the Duke, mainly, but were asked to look into... a disturbance more or less in the area, by a lieutenant of the nearby outpost," he explains to the man. He smiles and pauses to see if the man offers any information or knowledge of the recent happenings.
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

The man, who in all likelihood is Parthos, laughs at Orwell and Betsy's questions of stew. "This my friends, is laundry, although food can be provided if needed. The bounty of Gershal is available to all." He loses some of his joviality as he catches Duantan's words. "Which Duke do you mean?" he asks in a more cautious tone.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

11. - Top - End - #191

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan raises an eyebrow slightly. "Morland," he says, then shakes his head and waves a hand slightly. "We are not here to inflict anything upon your village," he says quickly. "He only sent us to investigate some ruins nearby. We were asked by Lieutenant Charen of Aldar to look into this though. Nearby villages seem to have emptied more or less. Has anything strange been happening?"

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

Blushing bright red, Betsy shuts her mouth and steps aside. One hand goes up to touch her forehead and, hopefully, shield at least some of the embarrassment. Her other hand fidgets a little bit with a fold of the fabric of her skirt.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

Trusting Duantan to deal with this laundry-man in a reasonable manner, Orwell examines the pot of laundry on the fire.

Hmm. If only there was a way to create a paddle that stirred the laundry for you, so that your pants would neither burn nor end up with lye scorches in the seat. That's so embarrassing.

Perhaps something which used compressed steam created by the fire itself. Yes, and a spigot to drain the water out the bottom once the pot was swung out from the fireplace, so that the water doesn't have to be laboriously seived or scooped out, but can instead be immediately reincorporated into a nice stock for dwarf stew. Mmm. Coal dust, carrots and mushroom. Just like mama used to make.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

The man at the pot relaxes at the mention of the name of Morland. "I see. Well, welcome to Gerhsal's sanctuary. I am Parthos, and the bounty of our goddess is available to all. I'm afraid I have no concrete information to provide to you on the matter. All we've heard are rumors-- traders and soldiers who have passed through and told of abandoned villages. Where the people may have gone," he shrugs helplessly. "The goddess of bounty has not seen fit to inform me of these things."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

A spigot and...oh, I should be listening.

After Parthos finishes speaking, Orwell nods.

So, those abandoned villages, the nearest would be which direction, according to the stories you've heard?

His eye begins to drift back to the pot.

16. - Top - End - #196

RogueGirl

"Erm, Hallo, Parthos," says Ovurka, walking in a bit late behind the rest of the party, naturally curious to see how the conversation goes, and whether there is, in fact, stew, as seems to have been suggested. She smiles at the honest-looking man and stands by the others, a little proudly, the weight of her axe resting comfortably at her back.

17. - Top - End - #197

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan nods slightly. "From the sounds of it, if you did have concrete evidence, you would not be here to speak with us," he says with a smile to the man. "Which I am grateful you are." He nods slightly to Orwell's question. The military's information would only be so current, but gossip always seemed to travel faster than possible.

"Also," he adds, raising an eyebrow sligthly. "Have you heard any rumors of animals or wildlife, anything from the normal?"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

"The rumors all indicate the troubles lie to the south, servant of the Maker." As Ovurka enters, he gives the half-orc a sympathetic smile, and a warm greeting. "No, I haven't heard of anything out of the ordinary as far as the local fauna would be concerned. Why do you ask?"

19. - Top - End - #199

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan smiles and shakes his head. "Just trying to place together bits of information," he says. "It should be on no major concern, I do not think."

He looks to the others. "Perhaps we should set out for the closest of the villages," he says, raising an eyebrow. "There is still good daylight to be burnt."
    Last edited by Santanya; 2008-04-01 at 10:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Corwin

Corwin, who had been standing quietly near the back of the group, steps forward to speak up. "So nothing out of the ordinary at all here then? Think hard. Anything could be a hint. You don't want what happened to the other villages to happen here," one of his eyebrows raises in an expression of suspicion. His voice is firm and biting.

21. - Top - End - #201

RogueGirl

"Do we really have to leave so fast?" asks Ovurka, quietly, showing a bit of disappointment. "I thought somebody said there was stew." She scratched a little nervously at her forehead, and looked cautiously at Corwin, trying not to draw his attention. Why does he always have to be so nasty to everyone? It's no wonder he's used to having people not trust him, being around him is like being held at the blade of a knife.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

The dwarf winces a bit.

I'm afraid that that was my error, Ovurka. Sorry. Blame a dwarven nose too used to cooking fires that are built close to the forge-fires.

Orwell turns to Parthos and bows clankily.

I will leave you to your laundry, Friend. May your bounty never cease. Perhaps we will return with better news, and there shall be a celebratory stew after all.

Unless there's something to keep him here, Orwell will head back out to check on Beatrice.

23. - Top - End - #203

RogueGirl

Ovurka sniffs the air, wrinkling her nose a little at the smell. "Uh." She makes a face, at least as amused as it is disgusted, and gives Orwell a joking look. "Not to be rude," says the battle-toughened orc, chuckling a little, as politely as possible, "But I think maybell I would not like dwarf cooking."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

The dwarf beams, holding up a hand dismissing her politeness.

Hey, there's a reason I don't live underground much anymore. And it's not because I like being suntanned.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

Between Orwell and Ovurka, Betsy starts to giggle a little bit. It's quiet, and half-smothered behind a hand over her mouth, but the exchange is funny, and she's not afraid to admit that in front of a priest of Gershal. Well, not completely, anyway. The hand lowers to rest lightly just below her neck and she offers a slight bow to Parthos. "Good health to you, sir." With this, she follows Orwell out, still smiling with a bit of mirth.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gershal's blessings be upon you," he says formally as the group turns to leave.

27. - Top - End - #207

AssassinGuy

Duantan

Duantan bows his head respectfully to the priest, commenting "You as well," before turning and giving Corwin a raised eyebrow as he walks back outside, pausing if the mage does not follow.

Once outside he moves to his horse, speaking loud enough for the group to hear him, but not much past. "Not much information, but some," he says as he hoists himself up onto the horse and offering a hand to Betsy. "Whatever it is isn't openly hostile to just anyone. Traders have been moving freely from the sounds of it, and it doesn't sound like there's much hostile in the villages that have been emptied."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Orwell

The dwarf scrambles back up into his cart and starts to pull slowly away.

Or it could be random - a creature that attacks what crosses its path as it moves around the area. Either way, I'd suggest that looking for some of those tracks might be our next destination.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Betsy

Taking the help up, Betsy settles herself behind Duantan and takes one last look around the village. It's a funny thing, how places with small amounts of people don't bother her, but add more people, and suddenly, it's a city, full of...city things and city stuff. People like her mother live in cities.

She leans into Duantan and wraps her arms around him tightly. No, she really doesn't like cities at all. This is much better, by far.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Corwin

Corwin follows the rest of the group out with a silent nod to the priest. Once everyone has reassembled, he says, "Still not enough information than to do more than make wild guesses. We can try going on to the next town, or perhaps there is someone else in this town to speak to. Maybe someone who spends more time out on the roads than that Parthos, or whatever his name was. Just an idea, we can do either since there will hopefully be information following either endeavor."