New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ankh-Morpork Ombudsmen

Igor
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Wow, great rolls). As you stand above overlooking the scuffle below you can hear snippets of the whisperings of sailor all around you.

"Blimey, looka tha water, just like the waves that old Hendrick over at the saloon was ravin' on about."

"Bleedin bad signs. I told ya that old coot was more than just a loony he...."

"(many swears, cries, and yells)"

"While everyones distracted Jal, go fer the crate..."

During a quick glance behind, you notice two distinct groups of onlookers within the crowd. They are immobile and unresponsive while all those around them are cheering, swearing, and pushing around for a better view. One group is composed primarily of Hobgoblins. ((In this world they represent the oriental or eastern-feel traders - Knowledge (Local) to know more.)) The second group stands apart and they seem to be staring each other down. The leader of the second group is a slim, graceful woman with eerily pale blue skin and long silver hair alive in a breeze of winds not effecting those around her.

As Valkyn leaps up to the plank-way your gaze is drawn toward him. Over his shoulder as he stumbles onto the deck you notice a dark shape just under the waters a few feet dock-ward of the crate. The water ripples overtop the silhouette.

Valkyn

Spoiler
    Show
    You make the leap and pull yourself up onto the plank-way once more. In your frantic scans of the water you see nothing distinctive in the ripples spreading out from the squid's death-throes.

Grax

Spoiler
    Show
    The mass of water slams down at you again (1d20+1)[19]. If the weight of the slap connects it deals (1d4)[1] bashing damage.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Thir, how long until this fight will end? Everyone underneath the area near theirth thomething. Lady, may I athk how you get your hair like that?" Shouted Igor, still in full defense.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grax jumps back to the safety of the shore, and moves away from the water's edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump (1d20)[3]

Silver Contributor To The Avatar d20 Project

4. - Top - End - #184

Grax tumbles into the muck with a wet sucking splash.

(Make a swim check, you can finish your action to swim over to the docks if you pass)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

(He's just generally yelling. He's asking how the woman gets her hair to move in the breeze that isn't there.)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Swim [roll]1d20[/roll]
    Will post if i make save.
    Last edited by Colt; 2008-03-16 at 05:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Valkyn

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm really at a loss on what to do for once, anyone got any ideas? I think this is one of those "get creative" moments

8. - Top - End - #188

((OOC: huh...my last post seems to be lost to the ether....sorry guys I did post a day ago....here it is again))

[Grax - your roll failed...please try again]

The two groups become uneasy and stir as the focus of the crowds shifts toward them at the stitched man's odd yelling. They shoot each other one last collective glare before melting into the backdrop of people swarming in to watch the fight. Whatever their grievances, it would seem this is not the intended forum for them with so many eyes.

A small yelp and splash is followed by a round of cheers and curses which draws attention back to the waterfront. You notice money exchanging hands throughout the onlookers at each of your actions. It seems a booky is never far off in this city and entertainment is entertainment whatever its form.

(Igor and Valkyn get full actions. Grax may or may not sink/swim, and then the "water" gets to go again)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Valkyn

Valkyn moves to the edge of the water, and leans down, offering his hand to Grax in an attempt to help him get out of the Ankh

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully give some bonus to getting out?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grax dips below the surface, gasping for air, he pulls for the surface

Spoiler
    Show
    Swim (1d20)[17]

11. - Top - End - #191

Grax breaks the surface and swims over to Valkyn's dangling hand. His small frame is easily hoisted up to dock-side.

The animated water below you swirls in a circle angrily before dissolving into the rippling goop. The crowd around you seem to groan in disappointment, save for a few individuals grinning ear to ear and collecting on their healthy bets.

Igor
    Spoiler
    Show
    you notice the dark shape you saw earlier under the water move southward and towards the drainage pipes.

A small band of local merchants approach you.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Igor continued to watch the dark area deciding to leave the talking to the master.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Valkyn

Dammit, we aren't going to catch him at this rate {turning to the merchants} Can I help you sirs?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grax walks away from the water and onto the street next to Valken. "Anyone have a towel?: he asks.

15. - Top - End - #195

The small approaching group seems to be arguing amongst themselves. You overhear: "Look, the nutter's gone, I say give them the reward and be done with it...the old fool must be drowned by now!" and other replies, "We have no proof! They might have riled the old fart up and brought disaster on us all, I say don't give em a cent and keep it as insurance." to which there is a quick, "Quite Tolus, they might hear you."

"Ah," starts the lead man, "I see you are the local Ombudsmen yes? Well done lads, it seems you are the first to try and uproot that pain in the arse. The watch sure haven't been a lick of help with him...religious freedoms they say." He pauses, "So we, he glares at the one names Tolus, have agreed that the man is likely drowned and will be giving you half the reward moneys. Return in a weeks time to claim the rest if he is indeed gone for good and has not returned."

The man hands you a modest coin-purse, the then ushers the rest of the merchants back to their wares.

(150g worth of coins)

16. - Top - End - #196

((as usual, a fairly free-form game and up to you guys to chart next coarse of action. If you want, I can make it more linear to ease group dynamics.))

((One thing you should do is setup how Hematite will be joining you. Now is a great time to introduce him before attending to the other contracts. ))

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I vote we go back to base and dry off, not all of us have long legs."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Valkyn

After replacing his rapier in its scabbard, Valkyn hands out the money equally.

Well I am a little damp myself, lets get back.

19. - Top - End - #199

The disappointed masses disperse to leave you alone of your soggy trail back to the office. The cold begins to set in and your wet feet begin collecting the weight of snow and ice upon them.

(Those of you wet make a Fort save. Those of you with Survival ranks can make a check to help yourself or help the others.)

As the door to your office swings open, you stumble in and find the warmth of the small stove.

Fruitcake perks up, "Ohhh, wipe those feetz misters, I don't do moppin'. O! O! and you have an appointment!"

She shuffles a few papers and looks over to the corner, "And it is set to start.....now."

In the corner stands a very short a troll. He is black and shiny, or at least the parts of him that aren't scuffed up are sort of shiny. He wears leather armor that looks like it took several skins of whatever animal was used to make it. Often there are a few small metallic objects stuck to his back that it appears he is unaware of.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Igor gave Fruitcake a look as he entered, turning to the troll, Igor got a chair and took it to him. "Theel three to thit down."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Valkyn

Oh, a newcomer right? Well I guess our entrance didn't make such a great impression He squeezes goo from the Ankh out of his pony-tail. Well I suppose we could use the extra man... err troll power

Spoiler
    Show
    fort save (1d20+4)[11]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Halfling in the Playground

The troll waves Igor's offered chair away politely. Turning to Valkyn, he grins, ""Hehe, yup, I been told dat I'm s'posed to been your new bodyguard. Da name's Hematite!" Hematite walks up to Valkyn and extends a rocky arm out to shake hands. "I heard dere was some kinda fight goin' on down by da Ankh. From da smell of ya I'm assumin dat was you guys?"
    Last edited by The Maverick; 2008-03-26 at 08:20 PM.
    Ironically one of several dozen mavericks.
    (awesome avatar by Dr. Bath)

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grax walks through the room, heading to the bathroom. "Wonderful, now we have a walking rock in this motley crew. As long as it means I don't have to be the one bashing stuff, I'm fine. Welcome to the gang Hermaphrodite." he quickly pulls out his books and jots in the recent events.

24. - Top - End - #204

((Sorry, I was leaving time for RP intros etc. Do not feel rushed, but whenever you're done perhaps show our troll your current job postings:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66973

Let me know if when you're ready and heading back out and to what ends since it is only about mid-day))

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grax walks back into the room, having dried off some. He sits in front of the fire, and tries to get some of the water out of his hair. "Well, who should we try to find next? Thief or the slaver? I'm partial to anything that will keep us away from the Ankh."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"I would go with what thir wants us to do. Thir might want to deal with the thllaver." Said Igor looking at Valkyn.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Valkyn

The slaver may be easier to find than the thief. Thieves fdont tend to have a base of operations. We might catch some stuff on our way to the next target anyhow

28. - Top - End - #208
    Halfling in the Playground

Hematite (who had been chuckling at Grax's comment up to this point) shrugs, "Sounds good ta me. My job's just bustin heads, you point, I swing."
    Ironically one of several dozen mavericks.
    (awesome avatar by Dr. Bath)

29. - Top - End - #209

Fruitcake pulls up the guild post on the slaver while debating the next course of action.

Theor H'rashin

Location unknown, but is known to affiliate with the Blackwater Gang in the North-West district of town.

She distributes the flier around before returning to her paperwork.

((This section is really meant to be a classic urban tracking and piece together clues as to his whereabouts. Try local knowledge checks on specific gangs, locations, industry. Rely of Gather Information check, and check in to anyone or any organization you think might hold some of the clues (the watch as one example) and use those social skills! It's a mystery.))

30. - Top - End - #210

((this would be where someone leads everyone out, or you split up to gather info......or something))