New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games of Fate

1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Games of Fate

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I need to start adjudicating more closely effects of spells. Guys, if you can bold it whenever you cast a spell that may effect specifically other PCs in a variety of ways then I'll post what happens in response.

For the purposes of this, we'll assume Johneleth saved, since that's how it's been played. Arlaath, yes, also worked out what was going on, that's correct. I'm guessing Darmerre is also rather good at spotting illusions. Everyone else is probably fairly rattled by what's going on, and more so the closer they are to the big wizardsplosion in the middle of the temple district.

Actual post coming any second.

Deman Lightbringer, elven scholar of Ishhara and Layasha Viëlenya, elven bard, both having retreated to the steps of the temple of Bel

"Good plan," Deman heartily agrees when Quis and Kselken begin to move to a place of shelter, and as they walk he ushers those around him along with them. He is clearly used to authority, if not command, and this seems to get through to most of the people in the streets who are standing around in abject terror of one or other of the mages squaring off near the bridge. "Go along, go inside, everyone," he says, but this time the orders do not seem to be direted at Quis and Kselken: possibly your willingness to help and defensive attitude has impressed him significantly that he will stand alongside you.

It is not long before you are joined by Layasha, and, if she can contrive it through gentle persuasion and somewhat fearful pleading, Munthrek and Draavius, though truth be told when Midon's undead images began speaking she was not keen to hang around close to him for long at all and made haste away. She is singing to herself as she hurries off, a soothing song that is almost a lullaby and that, combined with her increased distance from Midon's illusions, seems to calm her fright somewhat by the time she reaches the temple of Bel, but she is still uneasy.

"Oh gosh, this is bad," she mutters to anyone who is around to hear her. "I've never seen so many people be so affected by Arlaath's challenges. He never means to hurt anyone, but the gods know what those other two will do!" She brings her hands up to her face and pulls one set of slender fingers through her hair in agitation, absolutely exuding damsel in distress.

Arlaath, elven red mage

A sneer of amusement crosses Arlaath's face as he sees Midon and Johneleth squaring off against one another and he settles back, almost as if waiting to enjoy a show. He is, then, taken by surprise when a blindfolded man takes hold of his arm, and more surprised still when he looks round to discover that the man wears a blindfold. Darmerre's mystic words seem to throw him off balance for a second, then he reapplies his sneer, more dismissive than cruel this time.

"You speak in riddles, blind one," he says, his voice level. "But I have no quarrel with you and your desert kin, so stand away and keep yourself safe. It is the northern tribesmen who launch their attacks on my people, with their conjured evils and real monsters fighting at their sides."
    Last edited by nerulean; 2007-12-31 at 08:28 AM.
    de·fen·es·tra·tion (dē-fĕn'ĭ-strā'shən)
    n.

An act of throwing someone or something out of a window.

[From DE– + Latin fenestra, window.]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Encarus, Firebringer--Dragonfire Adept

Annoyed that he was ignored, Encarus takes the opportunity to fly over and land behind the distracted red mage.

He says with a wicked grin, "Are you deaf, wizard? I said BURN me, dammit."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Darmerre, the Blind Seer
    Darmerre stepped back, positioning himself between Midon and Arlaath. He could not do much about Encarus, but he remained ready to tackle the elven fire mage out of the Firebringer's path if he attacked.

"Why then do you quarrel with men not of the tribes? The arts of wizardry are never taught amongst nomads, for a people that must move can have no place for scholars - could slaying him do any more than give the feral tribes but another ally in his kin? The Firebringer is from the west, and while my people do not claim kinship with him, it is said he would burn a city to its foundations on but a passing fancy."

What was important right now was probably to keep Midon, Encarus and Johneleth from getting into a fight, which, knowing Encarus and the reaction of Johneleth to Midon, would probably result in nothing short of the total obliteration of the temple district.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2007-12-31 at 09:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Munthrek Tactful bronze half-dragon

After herding those humans who could be persuaded to turn to the temple, he then turns to the imminent battle between the two wizards, fire bringer, and lightning thrower. Striding up behind the elven lighting thrower he puts a clawed hand on his shoulder and speaks. This is folly, he says trying to calm the elf. This is precisely the kind of chaos that he wants. Do not allow yourself to get entangled in his war between your kind and the humans of the north. He steps around the front of the elf and peers into his eyes. Go to the steps of Bel's temple. You don't need to defend that elf who is clearly trying to goad those others into his war.

5. - Top - End - #65

Draavius, part-elf pacifist and non-magical healer

Draav stands silent for a moment, watching the events unfold around him. He slowly backs up toward the Temple of Bel and raises his shield. Mainly to himself he mutters, "No harm shall come."

Draav follows Layasha to the door silently. As she enters he turns to watch others scramble inside. Again he holds his shield high and battle-ready, but keeps an eye open for anyone needing help to enter.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

Kselken, Human Explorer-Cleric

Kselken stands on the steps of the temple, observing the confrontation. He looks to the others standing with him.

"Would you care to hear what is transpiring? A simple charm will allow it, are you willing." He says, idly tapping his staff on the floor.

He casts a spell to make the voices of those involved with the central fight sound as though next to those present on the steps, layers on top of it a mild aid against illusions (to help counter any illusions the red-garbed wizard might cast), and throws up ward spells on everyone around him like those he placed on Quis and Deman earlier.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quistallinas

Quis turns down towards the anxious elf woman next to him. "I wouldn't worry at the moment. Those people are more than far enough away from us, that they would have to be intentionally attacking us to hurt us. As for that, they are far too busy with each other to cause us any trouble; if they hurt each other, they know the risks they have taken. If anyone does go after us, there are several among us more than willing to defend the others." He smiles. "I can't imagine what he could have against you, being an elf." At this thought, however, his face darkens and he turns forward again. I'm only worried about what he might think of me, a hybrid with that which he so despises.
    Formerly known as Judas Maccabeus (a while back...)

Spoiler
    Show
    Out from Truth's firey mirror,
    Smiles Joy at the scientist.
    She to the steep hill of Virtue
    Leads the suffering on the path.
    On the sunny peak of faith
    One can see her fluttering flags;
    She through the cracks of burst coffins
    In the angel's choir stands.

Endure bravely, O you millions!
    Endure for a better world!

-Friedrich Schiller, To Joy

8. - Top - End - #68

Darmerre, the Blind Seer
    Darmerre notices a slight change in the world, and whispers again into Arlaath's ear.

"Choose your next words wisely, Arlaath. Though you may not see it, you have an audience."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

On the steps of Bel's Temple

A defensive line has formed across the door of this temple, and of most of the others. The nearest to the bridge, it is the temple of Bel that has the most defenders outside it, as well as the most innocents inside, and several acolytes from Ishhara's temple have run over to join the wall you stand in. Deman has taken up the direction of those tied to both temples, and they all seem to be listening to his instructions without fuss.

Layasha has not entirely left the scene either, and as Kselken brings the voices from around the troubled area into hearing range, she appears once again around the doorframe with a look of interest overlaying some of her nervousness. "A pretty piece of sound magic," she comments approvingly. "If only what was being said were prettier." She looks up at Quis' reassurance and gives a little nod, even managing a small smile for him.

The 'Danger Zone'

"It is this one who I hoped would face me," Arlaath says in reply to Darmerre, jerking his head forward to indicate Midon. "The dragons of Ishhara's kin, men of the desert," he gestures to Encarus then Darmerre, "neither have harmed my elven fellows, but the tribesmen have wizards indeed, blind one, and they cause us such pain."

As he speaks, he brings his hands in front of him with his palms to the sky, and without any apparent action linked to casting a spell an illusion appears above them. At first it is tiny, no larger than a loaf of bread, but it spreads and grows, the ghostly, transparent figures becoming a life-sized display of a grizzly raid on a small village. The houses are clearly elven in their design and the inhabitants are exclusively elves, and the attackers are humans and the beasts and spirits that the human tribes are famous for training and using for their purposes. ((As this is not a harmful illusion, those under the effect of Kselken's ward can see it without trouble.))

Suddenly, in a vast contradiction to the unhappy scene in the illusions now covering the temple square, a feeling of peace floods the area, and an elf who was not there a second ago appears, walking across the bridge towards Arlaath and the crowd he has drawn. He is Silien, known as the Spear of Dawn, and he is the highest martial authority in the elven lands of Luinia: everyone who knows anything at all about the continent will recognise him. Residents of these lands and anyone who follows international politics would further know that he is an inspired commander and a favourite of Aia. The fact that he is here is some seriously big news.

His voice is calm and quiet, and yet strangely carrying, as he speaks a simple order. It carries a simple confidence that he will be obeyed. "Lower all of these hostile and deceptive spells at once."
    n.

10. - Top - End - #70

Darmerre
    "The nomadic tribes can but rarely cultivate wizardry, for training a wizard requires vast resources. What you speak of are sorcerors, those whose blood grants them the gifts of the arcane. To create even but a single wizard's spellbook requires not less than a hundred pages, and to write but a single spell demands hundreds of coin in rare inks not available to the nomadic people. It is the same here as it is in my homeland. No, the wizard before you cannot be your foe, for he cannot have learned his skills from the feral tribes you speak of." spoke Darmerre.

The display Darmerre looked up at without moving his head, and he didn't respond as obviously the illusion was not meant for him.

"This wizard does not answer your challenge because of your demand. He answers it because he believes you will bring harm to both the elves and the humans of this city. The Firebringer is not of Ishara's kin, and merely wishes for a battle. Should violence erupt, he would merely use the opportunity to wash this city with flame and make his escape." he continues, before Silien arrives.

"It appears your thirst to battle those who wish you no harm will go unsated today."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Johneleth Paladin of nature / lightning master / defender of elves

Confused, Johneleth takes his eyes out of Midon and looks at the red elfs illusion. He's even more supprized when suddenly the lord-commander from Luinia suddenly shows up, in this human-infested poor excuse for a hamlet ...

What is this? Yet an other illusion?

As Silien commands everyone to lower their spells, Johneleth has come to a decision If he's an Illusion, Tirid must have his fun right now ... the chaos, the confusion ... this is exaclty what I prayed for ...

Johneleth lowers his shield (his lightning boomerang was already gone into thin air). Smiling, he lowers himself to one knee an bows to the lord-commander.

In elfen, he says "greeting be to thouw, Sir Lord Commander"

Today has already been a good day ... and it's not even noon ...
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

12. - Top - End - #72

WolfInSheepsClothing

Midon Waress, Dread Wizard

Midon gives the newcomer an appraising look. The elf certainly met the description of Silien accurately, and Arlaath didn't seem the type to impersonate someone so respected by elvenkind. The risk was significant, but if that was the Spear of Dawn then Midon was outmatched. With a mental sigh he answered "I will comply, but first I need an assurance that you will guarantee the safety of the people of this city.", and prepared to regret his decision.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Encarus looks severely dissapointed by the events.

"So...no fireworks then, eh? Beware elf...I will find a way to make you pay for this blasphemy.

And as for you, blind one..."
    He angrily shoves his pipe into his mouth and takes a deep puff.

"Do NOT mistake me for some amateur pyromaniac. Awash this city in flame, you say? Heh heh...as beautiful as that would be, I am no fool. I do not go about pillaging and burning the countryside for my own pleasure. I do not set to fire the great cities in the lands. Do not suggest that I am some foolish fire-lover, blind one...those who play with fire get burned."

Glowering at both Darmerre and the arriving elf, he marches off and lounges about at the foot of the Sacred Fire.

14. - Top - End - #74

Darmerre
    Darmerre merely begins to laugh, and hobbles over towards the temple of Bel.

"Your deeds and title suggest otherwise, tindertwig." he responded, knowing full well that the only reason Encarus was objecting was that he viewed himself as a disciple of fire, not some carelessly tossed matchstick. The Firebringer was elitist in his worship of the flame, that much was obvious.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

With a tiny, nodding acknowledgement to Johneleth's greeting, Silien looks mildly surprised at Midon's words, and gives him a gentle smile and an inclination of his head. "No harm will come to anyone here while I draw breath, if by all my power and Lady Aia's grace it can be prevented," he promises.

As Silien speaks, Arlaath's illusion fades out of existence and the red mage stands with a neutral expression, idly watching the back and forth between Encarus and Darmerre.
    n.

16. - Top - End - #76

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Very well, then." the Midon corpses reply to Silien`s promise. Immediately the darkness bathing the are evaporates into the morning sunlight, and the six Midons move to converge upon one another, melding once again into a single body whose flesh regrows over several seconds, leaving him once again human and whole. "Do excuse my caution," he says once the process has completed, "I have found it unwise to assume on matters such as these."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quistallinas

At the appearance of the elf mage's illusion, Quis grunts. "I think I recognise that tribe," he says. "My father warned me about them. Not good people at all. It is bad enough that they exist; it is even sadder that this elf has taken his opinion of humanity from them." Of all the introductions he could have had to his father's people, it had to be them. Quis merely shook his head at the thought; in the end, it still did not excuse this mage's actions.

The appearance of Silien is a much more heartening event; Quis knows that once he shows up, all trouble is over. He instinctively lets his guard down, knowing that his sword is needed no longer.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Johneleth Raumo paladin of nature / lightning caster

He stands up from his humble position, and flexes his shoulders. He listens to the words of Midon and replays "That's all right, ol' chap" he says with a smile "We Tirid fanatics are too unpredictable to take for granted anyway." he continues as his tattoos fade back to a pure black color, but not before a red/yellow flash is released by the lower tattoo.

A small pause, a thought and he adds casually "Sorry 'bout the ol' chap remark, Most likely I'm three times your age."

He turns back to Silien, his tattoo on his right upper arm turns dark purple and he says
    <elfen>"Yo, ol' chap. Wassup? Here on buisiness or pleasure?"</elfen>
    Last edited by qube; 2008-01-05 at 03:52 AM.

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Encarus sneers at Darmerre's remark. "They branded me that name because they did not understand. I was merely making Art, playing with fire... yet they thought I was going to put their precious houses and fields to the flame. Fools. Fire does not harm those who do not fear it.

So do not judge me, blind one. None are so blind as those who do not bother looking first."

With that, he puffs his pipe once more and shifts his attention to the new elf.

20. - Top - End - #80

Darmerre, the Blind Seer
    Darmerre continues to laugh and walk away, mildly amused at Encarus' use of a line that by all rights should have been his.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see." replies Darmerre, knowing the line well, though part of him expected Encarus to fail to grasp the meaning of it, given his pathetic misuse of the proverb.

Encarus was a disciple of fire, not an arsonist, and Darmerre knew that well, but the blind seer would not betray that knowledge.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Munthrek Bemused bronze half-dragon

Standing near the apex of the bridge gapping the two neighborhoods of the city Munthrek stares in bewilderment at the strange elf. He doesn't know if he should bow in appreciation for the elfs ability to defuse the tention, or laugh at how easily he had brought the squabiling to an abrubt end. Whoever the mysterious elf was he obviously had everyone's attention. Thinking to himself as he makes his way over to the temple of Bel, Good, finally someone else has all of the attention. Maybe he can shed a little light as to whom that red robed elf is, and why he's here.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Silien, at the bridge

Silien nods passively as the last spell ends, and casts a disapproving look at Johneleth. "Irresponsible, as well as unpredictable," he says blandly and in common, choosing not to dignify the informal greeting with an answer. He looks up towards the temple of Bel and calls, "Deman!"

The elf is at his side instantly, without passing through the intervening space. "Can I help you, Lord Silien?"

"If you would escort these three gentlemen to the demonstration room in the temple of Ishhara, I would be most grateful," the elven general says quietly. "I would prefer it," he adds, looking at Johneleth, Midon and Arlaath to make sure they are listening, "if none of them were to cast any spells. I will join you shortly; I must speak to Bel's Watchers."

"Of course, sir," says Deman, moving his hands in the gestures of a spell that is obviously intended to allow him to recogise any magic occurring around him. "If you three would follow me."

Arlaath gives a nod and a grin, chuckling quietly to himself as he falls in next to Deman.

Layasha, on the steps of Bel's temple

With Silien's arrival, the elven woman's fear dissipates completely and she steps away from the cover of the door frame to join the others, apparently back on top form. "Lord Silien will speak with the Watchers, who will show him everything that has happened here," she says, with the cadence of a story in her voice. "The Watchers can tell no lies, and Lord Silien is just. He will see to it that all are dealt with accordingly."
    n.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quistallinas

Upon hearing Layasha's statement, Quis sheathes his sword and sits down on the steps. "Almost forgot about the Watchers. Useful people, them. We could probably use some around the mercantile district... in any case, it's about over." Upon saying this, he looks up at the sun. Some time had certainly passed; as soon as this whole mess was over, he'd have to get to his office to deal with whatever minor problems his shipments might have today. And get my bow, in case something like this happens again.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

WolfInSheepsClothing

Midon raises an eyebrow at no-one in particular at Silian's instruction, but follows Deman without comment.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Johneleth paladin of nature / lightning lord

Johneleths tatoos turn back into charcole black, as he bows to the lord commander "As it is said, so it shall be done." he rises and follows Deman.

he directs some Midon. "Hey, I think we got off from a bad start. Johneleth Raumo 's the name. Follower of Tirid and protector of the forest." he offers his hand to shake Midon's.

((OOC: that last sentence doens't quit seem ... how do you say he wants to shake hands, so he puts his hand in front of him?))

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler
    Show
    Information-based shortcut. Darmerre uses his knowledge and sense of direction to take the fastest possible route (ie. through side alleys) to fall in just behind the group.

Darmerre, the Blind Seer
    Though he doesn't follow when they've just left, Darmerre manages to fall in behind them soon enough, his footsteps first blending into the others before returning to the hobbling gait.

"Darmerre the Blind said he would follow you, and that I shall."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Encarus, Firebringer

Noting that the group was leaving, Encarus casually tags along.

Hmm...what's this about, then?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Munthrek Relieved bronze half-dragon

Realizing that the imminent hostilities were over Munthrek decides to continue doing what he was prepared to do before all the troubles started. He was going to finally catch that dreaded, and cunning ancient carp if it was the last thing he did that day. Climbing back atop the parapet he got into a comfortable position and tried to remain near motionless save for a couple deep breaths a minute and the flick of his muscular tail. You've escaped for far too long my cunning adversary, far too long, he thought to no one in particular as he peered into the deep and murky waters of the river.

29. - Top - End - #89

Draavius, part-elf pacifist and non-magical healer

Draav simply watches the combat dissipate and the street slowly begin to return to normal, as though nothing had happened. His extremely puzzled face is almost comedic as he turns to Layasha. "Wha..." He lowers his shield to his side and pulls himself together. "...What's going on here?"
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2008-01-07 at 12:29 AM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

30. - Top - End - #90

WolfInSheepsClothing

Midon looks down at Johneleth's outstretched hand for a moment before looking into the elf's eyes. Without a hint of anger or resentment in his voice he asks "You don't honestly expect me to shake that, do you?". Without waiting for the answer, he steps around the elf and continues to follow Deman into the temple.