New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Heroes

1. - Top - End - #691
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Anti-Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    I was thinking more of a situation like
    MUGGER *Puts gun to head of self/civilian* "Thanatos, the only way I'll let him/her/you live is if you have a shot of tequila with me."

In both cases, I'd drink in a heartbeat. Same goes for smoking cigarettes and partaking of illegal narcotics.
    (Groan) I wish I could encounter muggers like that. All I get is the ones who try to stab me so they can rifle through my pockets.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    (Groan) I wish I could encounter muggers like that. All I get is the ones who try to stab me so they can rifle through my pockets.
    So do I, Face, so do I...

Maybe I should have wrote "Random, gun-toating lunatic" in lieu of "Mugger", but guess which one is faster to type.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-02-02 at 12:41 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

3. - Top - End - #693
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's all very well, but what would you do for a Klondike bar?

I'd pay, like, $.50. A buck at most.

And eat a ferret.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Dwarf in the Playground

frown Re: Anti-Heroes

This one didn't quite do it for me, Zarah. Maybe if I actually watched Lost at least the title would be pretty funny. Or maybe it's just because I'm dead tired. And another thing I-
    *dies of tiredom*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Credit to Aghdar, Wayril, and Sneak
    Renegade Paladin is my hero: Best Town Characters EVER!!! Mine coming soon...

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Addict View Post

And eat a ferret.
    Absolutely nothing.
    I don't care for klondke bars. If one were hadned to me... sure, whatever.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Addict View Post

And eat a ferret.
    I'd glance at whoever currently possesses the Klondike Bar over the rim of my glasses. My Librarian StareTM has sent men weighing over twice as much as me with muscle into featle positions. I will have that Klondike Bar if that is what I wish.

Also, it isn't starting to feel like Lost. We have no idea when the comic will end, and we can actually enjoy it along the way for reasons other than the empty hope for another piece of the puzzle.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Also, it isn't starting to feel like Lost. We have no idea when the comic will end, and we can actually enjoy it along the way for reasons other than the empty hope for another piece of the puzzle.
    That seems to be the whole idea
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Bugbear in the Playground

A piece of advice from someone with no actual experience withing the fields of comics nor hosting websites: If you want this comic to become succesful, you should probably host it on a site of your own instead of on the forums. I like the comic, it's great and has lots of potential.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    A piece of advice from someone with no actual experience withing the fields of comics nor hosting websites: If you want this comic to become succesful, you should probably host it on a site of your own instead of on the forums. I like the comic, it's great and has lots of potential.
    are you posting this in every webcomic on this forum ?!?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

I thought about this and I approached it from another view point: fan content enriches this community, but burdens the forums and the oots site as a whole. I personally would like to see more fan art while still having a good comic experience.
    I'm a web programmer with a lot of experience so I decided to make a site to host everybody's fan content for free. I'm working hard on this project as we speak, however I've got a heavy work schedule and it'll take me between a week and two to get a site going (with flexible upload/organization/search/blogs etc for everybody). Once that's done I'll post again but everybody will be totally free to move their content off the forums and onto a more appropriate (searchable and easier to browse) medium.
    Until then, hang on :)

11. - Top - End - #701

Kobold

Umm...how exactly do these comics burden the server? They are hosted on other servers, and only linked here...so that is not a problem. Also, usually, a comic dies if it gets moved from the forum (if it does not have alot of hardcore fans that is...). And new fans would find it difficult to see it...
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

12. - Top - End - #702
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Umm...how exactly do these comics burden the server? They are hosted on other servers, and only linked here...so that is not a problem. Also, usually, a comic dies if it gets moved from the forum (if it does not have alot of hardcore fans that is...). And new fans would find it difficult to see it...
    I agree. I don't see how getting your own webhost would improve the success of your comic, unless you are well known on other fields. I mean, how would new people find your webpage?
    Last edited by Simius; 2008-02-02 at 05:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #703

I've addressed this one before. From my own viewpoint, I think my comic would be more successful here than anywhere else. I mean, people here are most likely fans of OotS, which is the same style I'm using, so they would therefore enjoy it. As bayar pointed out, I could see my comic dying if it were moved from the forums.

Secondly, since this is in the same style as Rich's comic, I feel as if I'm riding his coat-tails. I realize that it's all my own original content, but without Rich, I wouldn't be doing this at all. So you can probably see my reluctance to move.

Anyway, new comic is up:

Issue 37: Cliffhanger
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, I edited the main post a bit, and turned the comics into links. The loading time for the original post was getting kinda long, so I changed it so that it shows the newest three comics as images at the top, then has links to them all after that.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

14. - Top - End - #704
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Anti-Heroes

whoo good good.

heehee at latest
    Failed at RAF hosting.

AMENite
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roles in WW games so far...
    Villager:7
    Mason:1
    Seer:0
    Fool:2
    Alpha:1
    Devil:0
    Wolf:5
    Other:1

Current games
    Stargate
    When Cicidians Cry
    Face Stealers
    Fatbelly 4

BRC killed my Pixe!! thankies dude!

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

Great comic!

These 'heroes' are looking a lot like jerks if you ask me.

I would like to see them die. In a painful and humorous way involving monkeys.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

ANIMATED monkeys!

17. - Top - End - #707

They're still pretty low-level if magegirl's (can't remember her name) big hitters are animate rope and hold portal, so a band of feral housecats could deal some prettty good damage to them. Monkeys are good, but they don't have the flair of a housecat killing a grown human.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

18. - Top - End - #708
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    For one thing there are possibly hundreds of people checking up on a thread with possibly hundreds of replies. Database load. That's the bottleneck of forums (despite everybody talking bandwidth) and people visiting more forum threads than they actually need to is what makes the forum slower in general and inaccessible on occasion.

A lot of the time it's to see if a new update is posted and a lot of the time that bandwidth goes to waste since there is no update just now.... or 15 minutes afterwards (in some cases people keep loading 30+ episodes/strips (being in spoilers doesn't negate the fact you still load all of it)).
    Moving the content on an easily manageable site means the authors can have their stuff easily accessible while still having all their content linked to in the forum. For one thing, it's easy for everybody to check up on the latest updates and you don't have to go through a few pages to see the latest news/blogs/updates by the authors to figure out how the comic is going and when to expect another update, etc.

An additional benefit to the authors is that I'm specifically making this site for their content - they'll get more viewers than here (first, what I'm making will essentially be a second place to show off their work; I'm experienced in search engine optimisation and they'll have their content seen (i.e. hits directly from google searches) by people who wouldn't normally plow through forum threads to read webcomics with uncertain update schedule).

I'm really not sure what you mean and how essentially having a second showcase for your art is supposed to kill it. Perhaps you misunderstood my intention - I'm making a custom easily accessible place especially for oots fan comics that will hopefully be more convenient to use than photobucket and it will be more flexible and searchable (by author, comic, etc) and you will be able to easily see one person's whole collection of artwork just by visiting that person's page (something that's not really possible in this medium since some people post their work in multiple threads - it's not easy to find people's art fast especially with the forum search crippled as it is)

Edit (especially @ Zarah):
    I'm not sure why you think I'm suggesting that you actually move the comic anywhere - essentially I'm making another place to host your work (custom made for oots comics, it's meant to replace photobucket(or other image host you may be using), it is NOT meant to replace threads like this one where you show your work and have others discuss it). This and similar threads may go unchanged and the average forum user might not know the difference. As an artist you get an easier way to manage your work as well as a second showcase for the comic with some pretty standard benefits, an easily searchable and accessible archive being one of the big ones. Yes, I am assuming that if people decide to use my hosting offer they'll keep their threads here for a collection of the comics and a discussion of the content. However I believe that if we free the server of even just the clicks by those people who simply want to check for an update (and don't want to really post anything about it) we might ease up the load enough to give Rich enough time to deal with the issue in a proper way (I personally think he will have to fork over some cash to upgrade the server or buy a new one just to support the forums).

Also, this thread is a behemoth, not unlike the other threads hosting popular fanart comics. It took me like 5 minutes just to load the page to edit the post. Whoever thinks it doesn't load the server has no idea of database programming or how searching and especially paging is done for extremely large databases like this one. A forum is just not a good medium to host a comic. If it was, Rich would have hosted the oots in a forum somewhere ;)
    Last edited by chrono; 2008-02-02 at 06:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #709

There is a solution to stop people from constantly checking in.

Use an rss feed.

You can create one at Rapid Feeds, and then link to it in the post. Once set up, it's a simple manner of logging on and posting a new item on the feed after editing the post.

People can simply check their feed readers for an update.
    Last edited by Doran; 2008-02-02 at 06:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great Comic, keep up the excellent work

21. - Top - End - #711
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The issue of the webcomics on the A&C board and server problems has already been discussed on the Board/Site Issues board here.

The conclusion there seemed to be that the comics don't affect the server much. Feel free to post in the thread and disagree. Its on the first page and its been only 13 days since the thread was last posted in, so it won't count as thread necromancy.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

22. - Top - End - #712

very nice, so they are screwed ... I feel prophetic, hehe

I have to admit your average run-out-of-the-mill hero would have missed the fact that the window is an exit, so they for sure deserve some XP for climbing out
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

A great comic. As soon as I saw "Cliffhanger", I somehow knew there would be a cliff involved.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #714

Quote Originally Posted by Darkantra View Post
    They're still pretty low-level if magegirl's (can't remember her name) big hitters are animate rope and hold portal, so a band of feral housecats could deal some prettty good damage to them. Monkeys are good, but they don't have the flair of a housecat killing a grown human.
    She also used True Seeing, a pretty high level spell.

25. - Top - End - #715

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of gray View Post
    She also used True Seeing, a pretty high level spell.
    true strike maybe?
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

26. - Top - End - #716

Quote Originally Posted by Krelon View Post
    true strike maybe?
    True strike wouldn't work in that way, it is clearly shown that after the spell that she announced as true seeing, is in fact, true seeing.

And besides, true strike doesn't remove darkness. And it does nothing for lightning bolt.

27. - Top - End - #717

*Cries because Super Bowl is preventing update*
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    *Cries because Super Bowl is preventing update*
    That makes it official. The Stupid Bowl has ruined my Sunday.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

29. - Top - End - #719

I apologize for the lack of an update today, but I've got a busy schedule this week, so updates might be a bit more sporadic for the time being.

Also, don't blame the Super Bowl, since I wasn't watching it. I don't even like football.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    That makes it official. The Stupid Bowl has ruined my Sunday.
    OK. Now that's one to save in a sig. But still, I do feel bad about not having an update. (Well, now, apparently, daily updates.)
    Last edited by Zurpl; 2008-02-03 at 11:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Credit to Aghdar, Wayril, and Sneak
    Renegade Paladin is my hero: Best Town Characters EVER!!! Mine coming soon...