New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Eberron: The Corruption

Darren, and whoever else he manages to gather in time, manage to see the images, the council of races most likely representatives of the Twelve in the tower, and their reaction most likely something Sindra must have anticipated, to come up with this backup plan.

Surge's studying the strange crystal reveal that the item has lost whatever magic properties it once possessed, much like a wand that has run out of spells. He does remember a bit about the underworld known as Khyber, and of all sorts of demonic horrors and unspoken things resting in their prisons down below.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Azgrim

The dwarf clears his throat. After remaining silent after his failure with the warforged attacker, Azgrim had wanted to avoid his shame. However, what the small group just witnessed required a response. "That was disturbing. No wonder so many want him dead. Either the ravings of a madman or the words of a prophet. Is the plague directed at those with 'marks? They called him aberrant, so I assume he was one of those unfortunates with an aberrant mark."
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Darren

Darren ponders this for a moment.

"No. No i don't think so. Wouldn't be much of a plague if it only afflicts a mere fraction of the population. No, a plague is something that leaves entire countries decimated. Or worse. Trust me, i have some knowledge about the ailments that can inflict man. And elf and dwarf etc. No, a real plague can bring devastation like a full blown war. Except there are no armies to fight or flee from. And if there really is a plague coming up from the depth of Khyber... if it is some sort of magical palgue, then the mundane remedies might not be effective."

Darren learned quite a bit about the frailty of the human body. Studied the works of scholars and doctors, medics and surgeons. He knows how sometimes something as harmless and inoccous as mere dust can turn a grown man into a coughing wreck... oh he knows.

Was that the reason why Sindra choose to give him this orb? Because he might be one to understand the gravity of Sindra's warning? He must have anticipated that the higher ups wouldn't want word to get out. To prevent the populace from panicking. Sure, a panick wouldn't do any good, would hinder any efforts to contain a possible plague even. Still, would the kings go and do something about it? Or would they hide in their castles and strongholds, protected by the magic they buy for themselves, waiting for the plague to run it's course?

"I don't know about you... but i am going to ask around a bit. Just pick up some rumours. About stuff. You?"

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Surge

The warforged lorekeeper ponders the situation for a long while before looking at the other two.

"Yes, while we each attend to our own errands and await Belaean's s-mail it would be prudent to seek out information on this plague. We should pick an inn or someplace else as a waypoint to meet up at later once the day ends. I will visit an arcanist though, and have the components from the warforged identified, and then I will seek out Gawair. He should know as well."

Surge withdraws into his self for a moment.

"Yes, though Korth is by no means Sharn or Korranberg there must be a library that I can search through for lore on Khyber. If we are lucky then we may even be able to speak with those who have entered the underworld."

This situation is intriguing. Sindra entrusted Darren with that orb for the express reason of letting us know of this disease, he did not trust the houses to act on his warnings and chose our small group instead.

"Whatever we do, we should not become too obvious in our inquiries. At this point it seems as if the Houses are more concerned with keeping the situation quiet than in getting information. I am sorry for suggesting this Azgrim," he nods towards the dwarf, "but you should not tell anyone from your house until we can offer them something tangible."
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-06-10 at 11:44 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Azgrim

The dwarf shakes his head and chuckles ruefully. "That won't be an issue, friend. I'm a bit on the outs with my House right now. Broke a contract," he shrugs then mutters, "the bastard."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Darren

"We need to find some information. Whoever is interested in this... what do you say, does anybody of you know a good place to meet this evening? Then we could compare notes about what we found out?"

Lycar

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Azgrim

"Brinter Distillery has an ale-house attached to its brewery. They're said to have invented nightwood ale," Az offers gruffly, but shows a slight smile. "It's in the Commerce Ward in the center of the city."

8. - Top - End - #278

Surge

"That sounds like an ideal place. I will go to my own errands then try to warn Gawair."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Darren

"Brinter Distillery, commerce ward, got it. He, gotta do some shopping anyways. These tanglefoot bags are really helpful in a pinch. Besides, i had my eyes on a new set of armour for quite a while. And maybe i can visit the artisan's quarters too and make some purchases there, And while i'm at it, keep my ears open for rumours."

Lycar

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Excuse me, Sir Gawair?" A younger member of the Vadalis enclave greets Gawair as he settles in, wearing the badge of a medical staff of the house, though most likely the boy had more experience treating animals than men. He respectfully greets Gawair. "The House has requested a physical check-up of all members. We can do this in your private quarters or the medical ward, whichever you prefer. It won't take long, sir."

==================

It seems to be a slow night at Brinter Distillery. Yes, it's still quite early, but only a handful of patrons are around at the time. A stout dwarf tends the bar, washing glasses. What few patrons there are drink quietly, keeping mostly to themselves.

11. - Top - End - #281

Surge

After leaving the others Surge seeks out the Cannith enclave in the town. He steps into the lobby of the building and adresses the secretary.

"Greetings, I have sustained damage and would like to purchase repairs. I also wish to purchase some enhancements for my weapon, and do you have any arcanists on staff who can identify magical components?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Surge will have the components and potions identified and then if he has enough money afterwards buy a Crystal of Arcane Steel (Lesser)
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

Gawair:

"Quarters. Who's checking." The man glared at the boy after that very short reply. It was probably not the best thing to do, but the idea of having his body looked at for the obvious reason that someone with enough medical expertise would discern the fact that he was bit by something he shouldn't have been bit by. The only reason he felt in any way safe here was the fact that he was in his house and even then he felt kind of caged.

Trapped. He was trapped. Trapped, trapped, trapped. He felt it. It clawed at him. He felt trapped by a little boy.

If it wasn't one thing it was another.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

(Surge):
    The bureaucratic process in House Cannith takes a long while, more than it has in recent months. In fact, it takes Surge several hours more than he planned to actually get his simple requests done, with many forms filled in between and being shipped from department from department.

It costs a total of 500 GP, but Surge does manage to get the items identified. The potions are Oils of Moderate Repair, and the components, when installed to a warforged, supply a +1 deflection bonus to AC each, able to stack with each other. The Cannith representative on duty offers to install the components, but it will cost another 50 GP.

(Gawair):
    "I will, sir. Don't worry, I'm a trained professional and it won't take long." The young doctor goes through the normal check-up routines and asks several relatively mundane questions. "I'll need you to show me your dragonmark please."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Darren

Right after parting company with the other mercenaries, Darren heads for the artisan's district. Looking for a suitable source of materials to improve on his weapons, Darren mentally draws the plans for an improved mechanic.

(Hm... a stronger spring would increase the velocity of the projectile but also increase recoil and make it harder to rec0ck the weapon. Also i have to find a way to speed up reloading...)

Darren is interrunpted in his thoughts when he realizes that he is standing in front of a hardware store. The sing reads 'Turik Strongarm's Metalworks'. Deciding to check this store out, Darren enters, a chime ringing and anouncing his arrival.

The sound of a hammer beating on metal stops and a few seconds later, a dwars comes into the store room through a door in the back.

"Welcome to Turik Strongarm's Metalworks, one of the best places for quality hardware. What can i do for you?"

Darren shoots a quick glance at the dwarf, looking him over. He does not appear to belong to one of the houses.

"I'm looking for steel springs, 1/2" by 8". Not the kind you use for suspensions though, i need something with a bit less stregth actually."

"Springs eh? Well, i'm not exactly a mechanic. But you are in luck, i have an apprentice who is big on these things. Hrm.. let me see if we have something for you."

The dwarven shopkeeper returns to the back of his shop and apparently rummages around for a while before emerging with a cloth, wrapped around some metal parts.

"That's what i've got, let's see if we find anything for you, eh?"

Darren steps up to the counter, where the dwarf (who is probably Tarik Strongarm himself) unwraps the cloth and shows off his collection of springs.

Picking up a few of them, Darren eyes them critically, bending them a bit to test their strength. Most are not of very high quality though.

"Those won't do i'm afraid. I need them to be to exact measures."

"Sorry lad, can't help you there, i'm a smith, i don't do wirebending. Ah but if you need high quality mechanical parts, gears and cogs and springs, well, i have just the place for you. May i ask what you need them for?"

Darren hesistates for a moment. Does he really want to show his creations to this man? But then his sense of professional pride wins out. Surely a fellow artisan will appreciate the work that went into his creations.

"Sure, why not."

Darren pulls out one of his Darengers (currently unloaded) and deliberately puts them on the cloth for Tarik to take a good look at it.

Taking a good look at it and mumbling something into his beard, the dwarven smith shoots a questioning look at Darren.

"Mind if i take a closer look?"

"Not at all, do go ahead."

Tarik picks up the weapon, turns it over in his hand and examines the c0cking mechanism carefully.

"No magazine?"

"Pardon?"

"This looks like a repeating crossbow, albeit a small one. Just without the magazine for the bolts. And no 'bow' part. So that's what the springs are for, e? Hm. Interesting idea. Never heard of the infamous dwarven repeating crossbow before?"

"... i think i heard of them... never saw one myself though."

Tarik smirks at Darren. "I see. Well, you are in luck. Wait here."

The dwarf turns to the back of the store again, to return half a minute or so later, carrying something that at frist glance seems to be a normal crossbow with a box on top of it.

"Here, take a closer look."

Darren looks at Tarik, who gives him an encouraging nod. With a mental shrug he picks up the strange crossbow and looks it over. There is a lever mechanism attached to it that, while a bit more simple then his own construction, is basically doing the same thing. Pulls back the string and hooks it to the trigger mechanism. Also there is a box on top of it all. It has just the right legth and width to hold a standard crossbow bolt. And is high enough to hold about 5 of them.

"Intriguing. Just a bit... unwieldy."

"Hrmph, unwieldy. That's a fine piece of craftmanship, to be proudly wielded, not to be hidden."

With a glance at Darren's construction, Tarik goes on "Although i can see what you are trying to accomplish here. It sure is smaller then a normal hand crossbow. Bet it gets snagged in clothing just the same with that protruding handle though."

Darren shrugs "It's a matter of practise really. This is a very interesting weapon. Dwarven invention?"

"You bet. The gnomes are trying to claim credit for it but i was originally designed to give our crossbowmen an advantage in volume of fire."

Darren puts the weapon back down again.

"Intriguing. And you know where i can find made-to-measure mechanical parts?"

"I sure do..."

Darren gets directions to another dwarf's shop, this one specializing in precision metal parts. Gears for machienes and all that. He also does springs apparently.

Having established a sort of rapport between two artisans, Darren proceeds to chat with Tarik. Eventually the small talk reaches the subject of health and the family.

"... but yeah, that leaves more work for us unaffilated artisans. I swear, the houses controll everything. If it wasn't for them having some trouble of their own right now, i swear, we would be hard pressed to stay in buisiness. But now that you mention it... odd. I seem to recall missing a few faces at the pub lately. Some of them dragonmarked working for house Cannith as i recall. Didn't hear about them being sick though. Maybe they are just making themselves rare, what with the trouble brewing and all. Strange though, old Gregory was usually way too fond of drowning his sorrows in ale to disappear like that though. Oh well..."

Darren chats some more and, after buying a few spare parts for his tool kits, bids Tarik farewell and heads for the other shop to buy the springs he is after.

Meeting with another dwarf and going through his selection, Darren gets lucky and manages to find springs that fit his specifications. He also buys some paper. Darren can't quite shake the image of that dwarven repeating crossbow out of his mind. A magazine... well, it can't be too big or his Derrengers would become too unwieldy. But it would take care of the reloading problem. For as long as the magazine still holds bolts that is.

Later that day, Darren stops at the local branch of the bank. He had promised to send some money home. Now that he had earned his first pay, he intends to make good on his promise.

Afterwards, Darren heads for the commerce ward to find the Brinter Destillery and meet up with his companions. Those that still choose to show up there at least.

Lycar

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

biggrin Re: Eberron: The Corruption

Lorei knelt on bar stool, laughing as the bartender of the Brinter Destillery held his belly and laughed as well. She was using small paper puppets (made from napkins) to show her recent experience with a very high born elf she had talked with the day before. Dwarves liked these stories. Even among dwarven bartenders ol' Ham was jolly and sweet. He was a good friend.

"Lorei lass, what brings you to these parts?" He asked sitting down with her after the last of the thirsty costumers were, for the moment, content with their drinks.

"Passing through, mostly. Heard there was good darkwood to be had here and up graded my weapons. The order wanted me to look for any regional healing herbs while I was out to. No luck yet but I'm still young. Dodi was feeling cramped in the apartment we were staying in. Besides, I have friends here. Hey, do you still have that mince pie you had last time? Dodi loves the stuff." She took a bite of the pretzel she has been using to illustrate a fine walking stick.

Ham called for a slice from the back and started munching on the pretzels himself. "I have the herbs we use for ale here. A good place to start. It's good to have ya back. Where is your bird?"

Lorei pointed to the door. "Just outside. She wanted to stay in the fresh air. Thanks for the herbs. I's good to be back. I haven't been in the big city for a few months, any news?"

Ham stroked his beard for a few minutes. "Some mutterings of an illness in the houses lass, be careful. Finding those herbs might be more then a errand after all." This news visibly unsettled Lorei. Ham knew why. Several of her friends here house marked. "It's nothing too serious yet, lass. don't frown so."

There was a bell as a slice of warm mince pie appeared and Ham set it on the counter. Lorei snapped her fingers and Dodi swept in (startling the other costumers) and promptly started digging in. Ham laughed at the site.

"Anything for you, lass?" He asked Lorei, who was transfixed on her companion. Lorei's head snapped up and she laughed.

"Cold water? That and these salt sticks will be fine. Dodi is so beautiful." She started stroking Dodi's back as she ate and the falcon "purred". "So, any happy news?"
    Save a show. Slay a Shipper.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Gawair:

Gawair, preparing himself for some rather awkward questions involving white scars was more relaxed now. He grudgingly went through the routine, constantly looking at the young man for anything that might mean he might have to clunk him on the back of the head and then run for it. So far so good.

And to some degree he was being lulled into a sense of security.

"Dragonmark, why? You a mage as well as a doctor, boy?" He said as he loosened his overshirt and then his black cotton undershirt to show the relatively small mark on his left shoulder. The mark had always been a part of his identity, even when he transformed. And turned around to show him.

17. - Top - End - #287

Surge

After getting the new components installed into him and his weapon Surge walked back out into the lobby and marveled at the energies that now protected him.

"In the future I must seek out more of these items," he idly remarked to himself, eliciting a strange look from the secretary, "Now," he turns to the secretary, "I have need to visit the House of Handling, where is it located in this city?"

The clerk hums and haws for a few moments before finally telling Surge where it is. Outside again Surge moves as quickly as he is able, hoping to finally unravel the mystery that was Gawair. Once he arrives Surge goes directly to the clerks on staff and asks to see Gawair.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

(Gawair)

"Well, sir, to be honest, it's hard to get into any sort of respectable medical position these days without at least some magical knowledge, arcane and divine. Okay, I think that should cover it. Glad to say you're fit as a fiddle. Good day to you, sir." After a brief inspection of Gawair's dragonmark, the young doctor excuses himself and heads out.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

Gawair:

"Alright then." after the boy had left. He relaxed. Strange policy, but whatever, harmless by the looks of things. He doubted the boy would reconize lycanthrope wounds when he saw them. He takes a look at his own back in front of the mirror, examining his scars and his dragonmark, before putting on his clothes and going to bed. He preferred to keep his clothes on when he slept, never knew when you needed to bolt, but he loosened up his belt and hung his sword on his beside table before blowing out the lamp.

He would wake with the sun and go to the designated meeting place unless otherwise interrupted.

Spoiler
    Show

Search check: (1d20)[17] If Gawair sees that his mark is somehow ... off, he'll quietly leave, Move silently: (1d20+3)[15], listening for people coming his way. (1d20+2)[11] and hiding if necessary ... (1d20+3)[11] go to the stable, and then head off ... hopefully wondering into someone he knows, nudge, nudge wink, wink.
    Last edited by WillWolf; 2008-07-04 at 01:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Gawair finds nothing odd with his mark, everything seems to be in order.

21. - Top - End - #291

Surge

After getting the location of Gawair's room Surge quickly walks through the corridors not caring about the amount of noise that he's making.

Spoiler
    Show
    Go opposed PC checks!

Listen - (1d20)[13]
    Spot - (1d20)[8]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Darren eventually finds his way into the Brinter Destillery. Upon entring, he looks around, trying to spot any of his fellow mercenaries. Failing to do so, he proceeds to the bar, occupying an empty stool.

He's still wearing his filter mask. Some patrons give him some odd looks but he ignores them. He's used to them.

Getting the attention of the barkeep, Darren orders an ale.

"One ale for me please."

Lycar

23. - Top - End - #293

Surge

Enterring the bar with Gawair in tow Surge heads over to the table that Darren is already sitting at and takes a seat.

"I hope that I was not too late, it took a bit of time to find Gawair at his House," Surge reaches into one of his pouches and pulls out a metal-necked bottle of oil and a spreading cloth, "Since flesh beings such as yourselves enjoy nursing a drink I thought that I would in turn enjoy tending to my finer parts," he nods over at Gawair a little knowingly, "Courtesy of Gawair."

Surge begins to carefully apply and rub in the oil, an act that somehow makes you think of a noble enjoying fine wine.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-07-07 at 12:50 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lorei hears a summon for ale and Ham turns around to fill a mug, when four more calls sounds as well. Lorei laughs into her water and arches an eye brow. "Shall I?"

Ham opens the bar door and Lorei bounces behind it filling mugs and plating them for delivery. "Any Orders Ham?"

"Na. Tips are yours." he said handing out a number of drinks and food stuffs himself.

Lorei walks out and delivers the mugs, getting mild tips. Last but not least she approches the last table where a war forged and two human's sat.

"Sorry for the wait, filled up and all. One good stout, three silver."
    Save a show. Slay a Shipper.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Azgrim

The dwarven knight ambles into the pub, waves briefly to his companions and heads for the bar. "I need a pitcher of nightwood and a plate of whatever meat is available, please."

26. - Top - End - #296

To Gawair

Spoiler
    Show
    Surge holds up a hand in greeting to Gawair in the House hall before approaching him.

"Gawair, we decided to meet at a tavern later tonight and since you did not know of it I thought to come and tell you. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you on the way on more private matters though, there is much that I would like to discuss."

Surge almost radiates excitement at the prospect of speaking of Gawair's secret and doesn't even try to hide it.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Gawair:

Surge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gawair, who was just going to take a leak, honestly, was ham-handed by a metal man and all he could do was look behind him, flick his ears, and then watch in terror as the warforged barrowled on after him.

"Curse you, Traveler." he mumbled as the warforged came barrowling through, too terrified to move until the thing was finished speaking. "Road. Explain. On way, horse." He mumbled obviously trying to keep his voice down as to not attract attention to the fact that he was in fact a furry monster. "Need stuff.".

OOC: Unless you object, lets move ahead to the road with his pack and horse on hand and not to say anything until you ask him something. Gawair's going to co-operate for now.

28. - Top - End - #298

[spoiler]Surge

Spoiler
    Show
    Surge tactfully waits until they are out of House and in the street before he starts talking. He makes sure that his voice is low enough to not be overheard by passersby.

"I won't tell anyone of what I saw and I have no interest in holding it over you. You do not have to worry about that," Surge pauses for a moment and thinks over how he should phrase his question, "Since my activation I have been many things; bodyguard, sword for hire, assistant, but I have always remained a collector of lore. You flesh beings have your passions of food and love but I just have lore. I would like the chance to record your change, how it happened, the variables that cause it to manifest, anything that you can tell me can help. There are so few accounts of it and most are inhibited by the writers' biases," he shakes his head in sadness, the librarian in his soul weeping at the thought, "That is all I ask."
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-07-08 at 01:59 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Darren

Darren nods at Azgrim and Surge as they enter.

"Hello again. How did you fare, did you learn anything interesting? From what i gathered, some people in the artisan's district have aquaintances with dragon marks who they haven't seen in a while. Strange, huh?"

Lycar

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Gawair:

((Lycar I think Surge is with Gawair at the moment. We will join you shortly.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Gawair turned and faced his warforged, and sighed, "You are one weird ,.. weird ... construct." He finally said after about five seconds of agonizing silence. No Gawair did not actually beleive him to the point that he is willing to hold it over his head, so it was best to give in. "The problem is," he looked around carefully and not trying to bring attention, "I may kill you if I do change." It was a cold fact. "Terrified animals do do that ... and I'm not allowed to kill, or bite people, so we'll have to figure some other way to ... watch it happen." Co-operate, for now, until Gawair finds a way out of it. It was the only thing he could do.

"Why are we going to the inn now?" He said trying to at least get away from the subject for a little while so as to collect his thoughts.