New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Statue Shatters (Eberron Round-Robin IC Chapter 1)

{OOC: *hops on the DM Railroad* chugga-chugga-choo-choo!}

Stepping to the front of the group, the warforged says "You'll have to forgive them. They don't understand the inner workings of the house. I own the Bronze Buckler; An armor shop associated with the house's Fabricator's Guild. If you would be so kind as to show some identification showing you are with the house, that will be enough for me to put my trust in you, and I'm sure the rest will come willing ly as well.

To be honest, I'm rather thrilled at the idea of meeting Merrix d'Cannith in person! There is so much he could tell me."

Turning to Mirror he says "Merrix is the son of the original creator of the Warforged race. Perhaps you should meet him as well."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-01-16 at 03:00 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The gnome stops in mid-chant at Fifth's request. Reaching into his coat, he pulls out a badge of some sort. It displays a sculpted crest of house Cannith, the red-eyed gorgon topped with a hammer and anvil. "Will this suffice?" he asks.
    Meh, I have nothing clever to say here.

3. - Top - End - #63

"I'm satisfied. Please, do proceed."

He turns to the others and says "Do I look ok? No smudges on my armor anywhere? I want to look my best for Mr. d'Cannith."
    The Tangled Web

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Hmph. Although House Cannith does Onatar proud, I do not count the Dragonmarked Houses as my friends," Celvic says with a snear. "No point in arguing, however, we have few leads. The houses have great resources, and so if the Sovereigns see fit to guide us through them, then so be it."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I'm glad you approve. Now quit preening like some fussy bird," he huffs, though visibly mollified by the warforged's agreeable, optimistic mood.

Turning to Celvic, he sneers right back, "How fortunate for you, then, that Lord Marrix isn't seeking your friendship, he's seeking your cooperation. If you're quite done with your moral posturing, then just step on the scroll I just unrolled. It will take you directly to him."

He has a brief moment of introspectiveness before rolling his eyes once again and, before anyone can raise questions about the safety of the action, steps onto the scroll itself. Energies stream up from the large parchment, swirl around the surly gnome, and in a flash he vanishes. A few moments later, energies swirl again, this time in front of the fountain near where he was first seen and the gnome reappears once again. "Satisfied?" he asks.

6. - Top - End - #66

The warforged will hurry to be the first to step onto the scroll and go meet Merrix d'Cannith.
    The Tangled Web

7. - Top - End - #67

Celvic follows.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Rarinn steps on the scroll

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Havon gives a slight sigh to himself but steps on the teleport scroll as well, keeping his hand ready to grab the sword at any minute.

10. - Top - End - #70

Kobold

OOC - Sorry. I missed the post where the other Warforged stepped on the scroll, which is what I was waiting for.

Mirror will follow the others.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Jo thinks for a moment about attempting to purge a Quori spirit from the gnome, but decides against it; instead he follows the others through the scroll, though prepares himself to use his mindblade on any targets on the other side.

ooc: sorry for the delay. Computer issues, site issues, and ridiculously sick.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Stepping on the scroll activates the spell for each in turn, causing a spray of colors that blind your vision. It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust when the energies disperse, and when they do, you see that you are standing in the middle of a large, ornate workshop. Pipes and conduits snake along the walls and high-vaulted ceiling. Various benches and tables support projects in various stages of progress. In fact, some are indeterminate whether they are works in progress or on display. Far from being a static environment, hums and whirrs can be heard from michinery, seen and unseen, while some projects spark and move as they do whatever they're doing. A door can be seen directly ahead (on the north wall).

"I'm glad that you finally made it," says a male voice coming from the left (west) and...above. A section of the wall is a massive tool rack, with tools ranging from the mundane to the incomprehensible hanging on it. Towards the top, an older (mid-60s) human male floating on Tenser's Floating Disk places one of the more exotic tools on a peg. He then floats to the floor where the disk settles seamlessly into the intricate tile-work. "I am Merrix d'Cannith, and I have a job for you. I hate to sound like some babbling bard, but the world may depend on this. I had a vision, much like you no doubt have, and the seven of you are the keys."

13. - Top - End - #73

The warforged stares up at Merrix when he first speaks. Normally, he would be indulging in examiningg every single item int his workshop, but for now, he is completely starstruck. He is standing in the presence of one of the most influential artificers in the entire world.

He heard Merrix's words. 'Seven? There are six of us. Should I say something? I wouldn't dare. He's a Baron of House Cannith.'

Finally finding his courage, he stammers out "M-My Lord, forgive me, I don't mean to contradict you, but there are only six of us here. Do you know of the seventh member?"
    The Tangled Web

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"No, I can see quite clearly that there are only six of you, but there is indeed a seventh. He's a human thief and thus a bit slippery to get ahold of, but I have some top Inquisitives tracking him down as we speak. You likely won't meet him until after you complete the job I have at hand for you.

"The statue has split into seven pieces and must be reassembled in order to drive back the darkness that was released. Doubtless you know this much already. I happen to know that the first piece, an arm, resides in the Mournlands. Given that I frequently hire adventurers to retrieve artifacts of House Cannith from there, I can dispatch the group of you there immediately while I divine the locations and prepare for your expeditions to the other six pieces.

"The piece is likely quite heavy, and though the Mournlands are survivable by those who keep their wits about them, they can prove dangerous and having excess weight slowing you down could be all of the difference between death and survival. You can take this Haversack," he says, pulling one off of a nearby workbench, "to place the arm in. Also, in one of the side pockets is a small bushel of Goodberries. Healing magic does not work normally in the Mournlands, but Goodberries function without any problem. Also in the 'Sack is a 30' rope and a 4th level Rope Trick spell on a scroll, should anyone wish to try their hand at magic and create a safe haven where magic works normally. There is only one charge, however, so be judicious. Lastly, I've included an excerpt from Korranberg Chronicle by Hathius Rote which gives a quick breakdown of what to expect in the Mournlands. Now, do you have any questions for me before you set out?"

((The bag is handed to the first person who takes it; there are 20 Goodberries for those who count, and the excerpt for all who wish to read it:))
    Spoiler
    Show

So You Want to Enter the Mournland?
    by Hathius Rote
    Excerpted from the Korranberg Chronicle, Zolday, Dravago 4th
    Greetings, good reader! If you are perusing this article, you are probably considering entering the Mournland in search of treasure and fame. You must already know the dangers you'll face - living spells, becoming lost in the dead-grey mist, encountering warped monsters and lingering magic effects, and running afoul of rogue warforged, to name a few - and I don't imagine that I will be able to dissuade you. Instead, take heed, for I will tell you what you need to know if you are to return from your expedition.
    The most important thing that you must understand is that you will be unable to heal in the Mournland. Neither natural nor magical healing functions in that blasted place. However, the druid spell goodberry seems unaffected in the Mournland. Also, a paladin's ability to heal wounds by laying on hands is not affected. Magic that allows extradimensional travel is valuable because you can heal (and be healed) while in that otherworldly space. If your expedition includes warforged, they should have little trouble; spells that repair constructs do function in the Mournland.
    After properly outfitting yourself, the first obstacle that you will encounter is the dead-grey mist that surrounds the Mournland. You might find that you become saddened and listless within the mist - do not doubt your heroism, my friend, for the mist is magical, and these feelings come from outside forces! Certain patches of the mist carry this enchantment heavily - watch out for the dark grey areas and avoid them. The mist is also disorienting. This reporter has heard many tales of expeditions that got lost in the mist and were never seen again.
    That's pretty much all the help I can give you for now. Good luck, brave adventurer, and watch for my next essay: "So You Want to Enter the Demon Wastes?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Jo grabs the bag.

He looks into it and checks over the contents, then slips the bag over his shoulder.

ooc: sweet, I snagged the first magic item! which works, as I havn't tallied my gp into whatever items I could buy at 3rd level. heh. hope this isn't also a bomb!
    Last edited by fireinthedust; 2008-01-22 at 07:52 PM.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

"The Mournlands," Celvic repeats. "Do we have a more precise location? Or are we to search all of that Sovereign forsaken land?"

Celvic scatches at his shoulder as he adds, "You have spoken plainly with us and your words agree with the vision I have seen, so I trust you until proven otherwise. However, I'm know you are aware of the dangers of the Mournlands. Surely you aren't sending us there blindly.

"And how long have we to wait or prepare ourselves for this journey?"

17. - Top - End - #77

The warforged with the group says cryptically "I know where it lies. The ruined capital city of Metrol, deep within the heart of the mournland. I saw it fall there in the vision I had.

This is no easy task. My kind can endure the trials of the mournland fairly easily. The rest of you will be lucky to find any comfort or security there."

Normally, he would have jumped at the bag, being inherently interested in anything magical, but he was obviously distracted by all that had been revealed.
    The Tangled Web

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Well then, let's not delay. Shall we take a lightning rail into Cy... the Mournland? And how can we contact you when we find the statue shard?

Jo hefts the sack onto his shoulders, tucking it under his cloak. The comfort of the sack, its handiness, compliment his stealthy "i don't know what".

ooc: yeah, heh, good timing for me! woooo! maaaagic item!
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"You are quite right," he says, directing his statement at the warforged, "It is in the city of Metrol. The statue is nigh-indestructible by mundane means, so the arm may have left a path of destruction where it landed which should make it easy to track down. I have hired a private lightning rail car to take the group of you directly into Metrol. He will stay at the station for exactly one day, under the protection of a guard to keep him safe. You shouldn't need that long, but after one day he will return here, either with or without you. There is a loud horn on the car, and he will blast it half of an hour before he leaves.

As for preparations, I would suggest you make them post haste. There is no set time, but I would prefer that you leave from the station before this evening as time may be of the essence, and by which I refer to the Lord of Blades. I hold no delusions that he has not been made aware of the catastrophe as well and would seek the piece for his own goals. If you leave quickly, you may avoid an encounter with him or his disciples altogether, which would be for the best. I would also suggest that you prepare for cold weather. During the past several months, a living spell of sorts has settled over the city, turning it into a wasteland of winter. While not actively dangerous, snow and ice are snow and ice, and blizzards need not have teeth to be deadly.

If there is anything reasonable that you require for this expedition, ask and I will provide it on a loan basis. Otherwise, you will have to buy your own supplies."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

"I had figured that we wouldn't be the only group after these things." Havon says after hearing mention of the Lord of Blades. "What concerns me however is if the other pieces will fall into dangerous hands while we focus on one piece at a time. Obviously splitting up is not a possibility with these pieces in such dangerous areas. I would expect you inform us if your scrying reveals that the other keys have already been taken."

Once he is given a reply he turns to his new comrades. "Well, I doubt we have much chance to refuse. Though I think we all agree that these keys are important and must be protected. My skills and sword now belong to you gentlemen." Havon says giving a slight bow to the others.

"Now we should get any supplies needed, especially food and water as we'll find none in the Mournland."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed. Lord D'Cannith, we could certainly use a budget for supplies for this mission, in terms of food and winter clothing. I don't have a wide selection of goods for all seasons. I expect you've already thought of that. Otherwise I'm ready to go.

ooc: so we're going into a magical wasteland with a blizzard and an army of warforged? Sweet! renegade weather spell, nice touch.
    I'm ready to skip ahead, given a parka and some grub. Should we skip to the train?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

To Merrix, "Sir, I have heard that the great artisians of your house have been able to create components for warforged. One such component is a Disk of Energy Resistance. If you had one of those available, I believe it would be most useful, in withstanding the blizzard elements. Is there one available for me to use while on this mission?

To the group, "I'll create some scrolls to aid us on the journey. I'll need to purchase some supplies for that. Otherwise, I believe I am prepared.

I would not know what food supplies to purchase, so someone else should handle that."

He will follow along with the group, either to market, or to the rail station.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-01-25 at 12:07 PM.
    The Tangled Web

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    *Snip*
    I would not know what food supplies to purchase, so someone else should handle that."
    *snip*
    I may be of help with that

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Merrix responds to Jo'Natar's request with a slight frown, though less out of irritation than professional regret. "I rarely dispense funds to those I hire before the job is done. While I doubt that any here would be so foolish as to take the money and run, there have been those who tried and I have found it easier to avoid such circumstances. As I said, I will provide what supplies I can for you. I will have Yean load rations on the Rail so you will not need to worry with hunger, and mention that you are on an expedition for me at any clothing store you go to and they will provide a discount on cold-weather clothing. If you absolutely must, you can leave something with either Yean or myself in exchange for the funds as collateral and the appropriate adjustments in finances will be worked out when you return. And, of course, there's always the option of dressing in layers."

To the warforged, he says, "Yes, in fact I have two, one for each of you," he says, indicating both warforged. Going to one of the nearby benches, he retrieves two small enchanted disks. "I've had a small supply made since the blizzard set in, and these are my last ones; oddly fortuitous, to be certain. They are both minor disks, unfortunately, as the last warforged I gave one to had the major disk and never returned. If you would like, you may install them here; just stand on the Disk I was on earlier and will it to go to the tool you need, if you need any at all. These are marked as belonging to House Cannith, however, so I request that you return them to me once you return."

25. - Top - End - #85

The warforged looked to Mirror. "He knew you were a warforged, even with your disguise. Is there any doubt that he is descended from our original creator?"

He moves to the disk Merrix was standing on and waits for it to move to the appropriate location. He will retrieve both disks, placing one in the amulet slot on his chest. The second, he will return to Mirror.
    The Tangled Web

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Merrix responds "...And, of course, there's always the option of dressing in layers."
    Jo attempts to hide a wry grin; house Cannith, and Merrix in particular, was not to be trifled with. His time with House Deneith taught him that. Still, leave it to a noble to be stingy with supplies. He'd probably expect Warforged to pay him for being born.

supplies as provided are fine. It is only one day, after all, and we have the good berries. However, for the parkas, quality cold-weather gear will be essential to success. Simply wearing another tunic won't work. In all of House Cannith, you havn't got winter weather supplies? Remember, we're not the ones who are running this show. I'm in no need to find the statue, but my participation is something you've requested. I havn't gone to blizzard areas since the Last War, when I was a soldier and House Deneith outfitted us.
    If you need us to go to the Mournland, you can't charge us for the rail train or the supplies we'll need. We're not the wayfinder foundation, or an established adventuring company... though given our circumstances, that might not be a bad idea to form.
    At the least, a jacket or a ring of warmth will be essential to this quest. You want the shard, you have to keep us healthy. I can return the supplies when the mission is done, as with all Cannith property.

ooc: haggling an employer. key.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

"Clothing won't be a problem. I have friends down at the docks who we can get cold weather clothing from. It's the least they can do to repay saving them from those Giant Spiders." Havon says to Jo referring to an adventuring company he had worked for several months ago for an expedition into Xendrik.

OOC:I'll leave it to DM if thats ok or not :P[/color]

28. - Top - End - #88

Kobold

Mirror seemed unsure of what to do with the disk the other warforged handed him. He watched as the one affixed it to his own chest and Mirror mimicked the motion. Once he was sure that the disk wasn't going to fall off his chest the moment he moved his hands, he was more at ease. He knew he felt different after having attached the disk, but he wasn't really certain what the sensation meant.

"I have no idea who my creator actually is, but I do remember that the man who seemed most interseted in me looked nothing like the man who stand before us," Mirror replied to the other Warforged.

29. - Top - End - #89

To Mirror, he responds "Well, I didn't mean our personal creator. I meant the one who created our race. Don't you know your own history?

Merrix d'Cannith tried to create a race of sentient soldiers during the last war. He came close, but never got the sentience quite right. It was his son, Arren d'Cannith who perfected the modern Warforged. The man standing before you now is Arren's son, and named after his grandfather, Merrix.

Maybe we can pick up a book on the history of warforged for you to read on the journey."
    The Tangled Web

30. - Top - End - #90

Kobold

"I think I understand what you are saying. What sentience we have appears to be directed towards a purpose from the very moment of our creation. Too single-minded, and we lack the content of character to be anything but mere automatons. Still we are forged unto a predetermined path and that makes us different from the flesh creatures who are born mostly a blank slate to be gently molded by those around them. My purpose is with those of flesh, not those of metal, so I'm afraid I know nothing of our history at all. I think that is why my creators might have forged me this way, to be more like a blank slate."

After a moment of self reflection, Mirror recomposes himself and responds, "I would very much appreciate such a book."