New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Homecomings

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Homecomings

As Aldamir came down stairs, he saw the odd discussion between Bram and Kabrakhan, but decided to hold his questions until he was actually seated at the table. Without pointing at the disk, he asked quietly, "What is that, Bram?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

"Its one of them things that block the way to the sewer!" Kabrakhan said with his mouth full of deer. "why we would need one of those is beyond me..."
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In case there has been some misunderstanding (which I realize is probably my fault), the disk wasn't blocking the way to the sewer. It was just lying on the ground.
    You are a wonderful person! I wish I could be like you.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dvurr

Dvurr had already descended the stairs and heard Bram's explanation of the previous night. He walks up to the disc and draws his face close to it.

"Well why did you bring it here?"

He lets out a dwarven laugh that sounds much more genuine than it probably is. "It's possible that you single-handedly dismantled this man's age-old getaway... and all for curiosity?"

Dvurr's smile disappeared as seemed to realize something. "We may want to hide this somehow... or even replace it. Perhaps the man will deny our service if he sees we've already stolen from him."
    I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Fashai wakes up and walks over to his companions, just in time to hear Bram's explanation. "It looks. . . like crystal. Or perhaps it is made of pure force. I have no real expertise, though."
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

NAS

Rejuvenated after a good nights sleep and some morning calisthenics, a rather cheery monk joins his friends at the table during their morning recourse, ordering breakfast from the innkeeper on his way.

If I didn't know better I'd say we were rich, because that looks like the biggest coin ever made. In all honesty though, why *do* we have it now? If it is important to the trader, we need to find a way to hide it. If it's not, then wouldn't it just be cumbersome to carry?

On the other hand, I must admit it looks unique.... and from my experience anything that's unique can be traded for coin. Probably best just to stow it for now and figure out what it is at a more convenient time. For now we must break our fast, pack our things, and then head out to the meeting so that we can take this job.
    - It's as true today as when I started adventuring: 'When in doubt, set something on fire.'

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    I started in a jail cell.

Current Characters:
    Nas - Human Monk 6, Homecoming

"a beardless dwarf is like darth vader in a tutu. you know that something is wrong!" - Shademan

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    no,no. no misunderstanding here. Kabrakhan just figured it was something "normal" and not something magical. alas, he was wrong again ;p

Kabrakhan were already eating his second breakfast and had lost all interest in the disc (which in his mind, still was a sewer-entrance blocking) until he heard the word "coins".
    He stared at the disc with new interest. " maybe we could ransom it back..." he mumbled while swallowing turnipses, chicken stew(easy on the chicken) and deer.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram Leafgarbed

Picking up the disk in two hands, Bram says "It's oddly quite light. And no one was claiming posession of it when I saw it. If you saw a dagger just lying on the ground, with no apparent owner in sight...what would you do? Praise fortune for finding you a belt-knife. As for use, watch this!"

Bringing the disc up over his head, then down to straight out in front of him, then raising it up as fast as he can, Bram works to generate a tiny windstorm.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dvurr

"Shall you keep it, then, Mr. Leafgarbed? And if so, how?"
    I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

"I don't think returning it would change anything, we've already taken it and we covered our tracks coming back." Tom says, "I am in favor of keeping it, but not in plain sight for sure!"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram Leafgarbed

"Then how about this." Asks Bram, as he reaches into his pack again, and pulling forth a winter blanket, carefully wraps the disk. Unstrapping the barding on Jacob, Bram places the disk over Jacob's chest, and straps the armor in over it.

"Can't hurt to have a bit more armor for Jacob, and this way, it's out of sight."

Then unstrapping the armor, he pulls the disk out again, and replacing it on the table, he asks the group "So...any of you have an idea of what this is? And before you say it Kabrakhan, it's not a sewer-entrance covering."

After letting the group inspect it as much as they please, he rewraps the disk and replaces it under Jacob's armor.

12. - Top - End - #102

Aldamir withdrew Roac from under his cloak and said, "Good morning, Roac. Help me take a look at this disc, eh?"
    Squinting up at his master, Roac replied, "Master, really, I have a splitting headache, and it's too bright in here. Can't this wait?"
    "Too much mistavan again, eh? Well, either quit drinking, become an elf, or learn how to function with a 'hangover'. Now, hold still."
    With that, Aldamir cast a brief incantation, and examined the disc closely. Roac feigned interest, but offered nothing helpful. He had learned to at least hold his tongue if he had nothing useful to offer.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Times like this ALMOST make me nostalgic for one of my many spellcasters.... almost.

Nas

Nas contents himself with remaining quiet for now regarding the disc as he munches on his breakfast. Just to be on the safe side, however, the monk quickly glances around to make sure nobody's watching them 'too' closely.

Spoiler
    Show
    just a quick sense motive to see if anyone's watching us more than is normal for random inn patrons.

Sense Motive: (1d20+6)[12]

- It's as true today as when I started adventuring: 'When in doubt, set something on fire.'

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Current Characters:

"a beardless dwarf is like darth vader in a tutu. you know that something is wrong!" - Shademan

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Nobody seems to be looking at you too much.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Fashai
    Finding himself at loose ends until afternoon, Fashai internally debates the relative merits of going to the local guard house and fighting someone, buying some new toys, or attempting to take other peoples' money playing Three-Dragon Ante. Deciding that it would be better to be in top shape for the meeting with the mysterious employer and that he doesn't have enough money to buy anything useful, he buys a deck of cards off another person staying at the inn and plays against all takers for most of the day.
    By the time he quits for the day, he is a few coppers lighter, but he feels it a fair price for a day's entertainment.

As evening nears, he does his exercises in the courtyard to ready his usual "just in case" maneuvers, checks his swords' condition, and meets up with his companions.
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-01-26 at 06:17 PM.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

16. - Top - End - #106

As evening neared, Aldamir and Roac made themselves more familiar with the surrounding blocks, and found a convenient cornice for Roac to watch from. From his perch, the raven would be able to see their prospective employer approach from at least a block away, and with Aldamir's spell protecting him from the cold, he wouldn't complain (much).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram Leafgarbed

As they've little to do until the evening, Bram goes out to find a tent large enough for himself and his bat, with Jacob in tow of course. Returning to the inn, he fills his waterskin and the borrowed bowl for Jacob, as well as any of the party's waterskins that need topping off before the spell elapses.

Then, before noon, Bram and Jacob take to the skies, going hunting again, this time Bram also stops by a stream and gets twenty river-washed stones for his pouch in addition to the stones he'll need for the hunting. Further aiming to load his haversack's larders, he circles around, sniping at game, and bringing Jacob down to help shake trees for fruit as well as walking unhindered through the briars to gather berries.

Survival - (1d20+21)[23]

Once he's gathered enough for a few days, he does his best to prepare it for the road, then takes to the skies again, and returning to the Inn, passes time whittling an oaken branch he finds in his hunting into a disposable whistle.

Craft - (1d20+1)[13]

As he starts to cut a hole in the wood, he realizes he's not quite 'in the zone' and if he persists, he's likely to just ruin it. So for the time being, he stashes it in his pack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attempting to make a wooden whistle for the trick 'Attack'

Edit: Survival skill gets me 11 more days food....

Edit2: Bloody well forgot 'bout the capability to use real dice. Rolling for Survival for the weather report. Roll = 9. Bonus = +21. So 30. Four days weather report via PM please.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-01-26 at 08:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

NAS

Having nothing to do until the meeting, Nas packs his few belongings, including the new tent strapped to his bag, and lifts it a few times to make sure the added weight won't slow him down. Confident that he can handle the load, he proceeds to loiter until the meeting time.

Current Characters:

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan

Kabrakhan paid for another stay at the inn and for a meal, he then packed his stuff and made sure everything was as it was supposed to be.
    Then he got bored, so he loitered around Nas making small-talk and occasionally challenged him to wrestling matches.

Spoiler
    Show
    common meal 3sp common inn stay 5sp

on M&B:

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Around sunset, a familiar figure wrapped in a gray hooded cloak ambles over to the adventurers.

"It's nice to see you all again. Have you accepted my job offer?"

Aldamir:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roac, from his perch high up, saw the man separate from two other people a short distance away from the meeting point. One is circling around to the other side of the party around the block, and the other has entered a nearby building.

You can share this with the others if you like.
    Last edited by Hades' Watchdog; 2008-01-27 at 01:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan

Kabrakhan eagerly jumped from his chair and said "YES! we're as ready as ever!" he smiled for some seconds before he said, less eagerly, " but maybe you should ask Nas about that. he's sorta the leader so..." Kabrakhans tail started to wiggle with excitement.

on M&B:

22. - Top - End - #112

Roac flew down to his master's shoulder and murmured what he had seen in Aldamir's ear. Not seeing any particular danger, Aldamir remained silent as their prospective employer approached. The slight elf smirked at Kabrakhan's outburst, and nodded in agreement, but continued to hold his tongue in favor of Nas.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Tom also stays quiet, waiting for Nas to do the talking.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram Leafgarbed

Watching the clouds, Bram is bundled up, and even has produced a weather-stained traveling cloak from his pack. Looking away from the skies for a moment, he says to the others "It'll be cold tomorrow. And should rain day after." Scratching Jacob absent-mindedly, Bram replies "Your wagons or whatnot covered? Got protections for your people against the cold? It's going to get icy in the next few days." Then he defers to Nas for the final word on thier acceptance.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yep, we're prepared for Hell and high water. Rain shouldn't do anything but slow us down." He looks to Nas for a reply, noticing that he seems to be the leader.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

ooc
    Spoiler
    Show
    sorry folks, been a slightly busy weeken

Nas

Nas softly chuckled at the enthusiasm of his friends before responding.

Aye, I doubt that I could say, "We're not interested," without being lynched by my comrades. I must admit the work is welcome.

Are you wanting to set out immediately or were you wanting to discuss the details of this particular trip with us first?

Spoiler
    Show

Out of curiousity, nas is going to try and get a 'read' on the trader. While the fact that the man may be in fact a smuggler won't make nas reject the job, it would definetely let him know a bit of what to expect.

Sense Motive: (1d20+6)[17]

also, I haven't gotten to roll NEARLY enough dice.
    Last edited by Shadowofdeus; 2008-01-28 at 05:13 PM.

Current Characters:

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We're going to be heading into Ilserinara in a couple of days to sell some materials. We'll go maybe a hundred miles total, visiting some of the larger cities nearby. I wouldn't advise bringing along anything valuable that you can't carry with you if you need to... move quickly."

Spoiler
    Show
    His speech leaves little doubt that the man is almost certainly a smuggler. He says clearly that he's heading across the border to do business, which is illegal.

You'll get to roll more dice soon.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Nas

Nas chuckles at the man's advice.

The warning is appreciated friend, but I feel I must ask you to remember why you were drawn to hire us.

You gave us a job, and we'll do it. We'll handle the logistics, you just worry about keeping your wagons moving. Speaking of which, I recommend we move out sooner than 'in a couple of days' if you want to avoid at least some icy paths. I've learned to trust friend Bram's long eye when it comes to the weather.

Nas crosses his arms, portraying an attitude that not only suggests they've taken the job, but that they're taking it very seriously.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nas is trying to portray an attitude of 'yeah, we can protect you, but if you want us to you're going to have to do what WE say so that we can be effective.'

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan stared at the employer, then on Nas. He then mimicked Nas's stance and nodded once. They used way to complicated words anyways...

on M&B:

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

After a short pause, the smuggler nods. "Great. I believe we can be ready to go tomorrow morning if that works for you all. Now that we're acquainted, you can call me Salos.

Oh, and one last thing. Would you happen to have seen a clearish, large disk lying around anywhere? I seem to have misplaced one."