Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Homecomings

1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Homecomings

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aldamir doesn't see or hear anything other than the three creatures already visible.
    Both of the ettin's heads peer towards Tom's position as the huge bat flies past the area, but its attention quickly changes towards Jacob himself. The giant transfers one of its crude leashes to the other hand and gropes in a pouch affixed to a badly-made belt about its waist. It comes out with a stone about the size of a human fist, and tracks Jacob's movement across the sky with one head while the other starts looking much more alert than before.
    You are a wonderful person! I wish I could be like you.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram Leafgarbed

HP: 39/39
    AC: 22

Jacob:
    HP: 67/67
    AC: 26

Initiative - (1d20+3)[16]

Seeing the ettin pull forth a stone confirms for Bram that they're here for no-good. Whirling his sling above his head, he launches it's load in a deft flick of his wrist, sending the bullet whooshing down, not towards the ettin, but to the beetle on the ettin's left.

As the bullet leaves his sling, Bram urges Jacob to fly higher, up to the 100ft above the ettin and pair.

Attack - (1d20+12)[25]
    Damage - (1d3)[1]

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack bonuses break down as such: Bab +4, Wis (Zen Archery) +6, Size mod +1, Halfling Racial +1, Masterwork +1, Firing while Riding -2 (Mounted Archery), Higher Ground +1.

Standard action, Attack, Free action, Guide Jacob with knees, Move action, tuck away sling into belt.

If the ettin throws the rock at Bram, Bram uses Jacob for cover. (Mounted Combat)

If the target is Jacob, Bram's ride check: Ride - (1d20+18)[25] that replaces his AC if it's higher. Edit: It's lower, so Jacob's AC is just 26.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-02-13 at 03:10 PM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

3. - Top - End - #243
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Nas

When jacob gets the attention of one head, the monk starts moving towards the ettin, not bothering to hide. He makes sure to stay on the opposite side of the road from the two headed freak. He stops about 40 feet away, assuming a taunting stance to the ettin.

Hey! Ugly! Want some fresh meat! Come get it!

Spoiler
    Show

Normal AC: 20
    HP: 42

Dodge Declared on bug #1. Effective AC: 21

Prepared actions for when the ettin and or bugs come into the road:
    1) Single move action, back towards kabrakhan, up to 50'.
    2) Shout the word "Attack".

Initiative (if necessary)
    (1d20+8)[22]

Last edited by Shadowofdeus; 2008-02-13 at 03:18 PM.
    - It's as true today as when I started adventuring: 'When in doubt, set something on fire.'

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    I started in a jail cell.

Current Characters:
    Nas - Human Monk 6, Homecoming

"a beardless dwarf is like darth vader in a tutu. you know that something is wrong!" - Shademan

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan Walks up next to Nas. He prepares to charge forward with all his heart!

Spoiler
    Show

AC: 22
    HP: 41
    Initiative: 16
    Prepared:
    (CHARGE ETTIN!)

Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aldamir focuses on the bug Bram hit first, firing as rapidly as possible until it is dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Either feel free to make to hit and damage rolls for me as necessary, or let me know when to make more rolls. Damage rolls for the first two to hit rolls are below (if needed):
    Damage #1: (1d8+2)[7]
    Damage #2: (1d8+2)[5]

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Tom stays in hiding waiting for the attack signal.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I announced this in the OOC thread a few hours ago. Just adding it here for the sake of having the actions in IC thread.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Tom stays in hiding waiting for the attack signal.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I announced this in the OOC thread a few hours ago. Just adding it here for the sake of having the actions in IC thread.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whew! Sorry that took so long. I think I have a good system worked out for the battle map now, though, so it should be a breeze from now on.

Both of Aldamir's arrows, as well as Bram's stone, hit the enormous insect. It makes a sort of crackling sound, but doesn't seem seriously hurt. The ettin roars something in an unfamiliar language, drops the leashes, and gestures at Nas and Kabrakhan.

The less damaged insect, quicker on the uptake than its confused friend, scurries across the road towards Nas. As the monk retreats and Kabrakhan charges, though, it settles for the lizardfolk instead. Moments after the reptile deals a devastating blow to the ettin, the two glistening prongs on its head blast forward as though shot by a crossbow. One bounces off of Kabrakhan's armor, but the other stabs through even his tough scales. The insect begins reeling its projectiles in, tripping Kabrakhan and dragging him to the beast in a matter of seconds, where it takes advantage of his prone position to bite into him. Its fangs deliver a strong poison.

Spoiler
    Show
    The insect scuttled back off the road to pursue Kabrakhan. People who acted when it came onto the road can go, and get attacks of opportunity for it moving out of a threatened square.

Kabrakhan: 4 damage from the fang, 6 damage from the bite, you're prone (-4 on melee attack rolls, -4 AC against melee, standing up is a move action that provokes an AoO), and make a Fortitude save.

On the bright side, you did deal 7 damage to the ettin.

New map:

That dark square above and to the left of the right-hand insect is Kab. He just fits well with the green.

The reason the road is pink is because if it's brown, it blends with the green VERY well.
    Last edited by Hades' Watchdog; 2008-02-13 at 10:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Seeing Kabrakhan in trouble, Tom charges in attacking the insect with his dagger.

OOC-edited to announce coordinates of movement:
    Spoiler
    Show

Charge ends in L-20 with the insect being flanked by Kabrakhan and Tom:

Flank: +2 attack
    Charge: +2 attack, -2 AC
    Combat Expertise: -4 attck, +4 AC

Attack:(1d20+11)[28]
    Damage: [roll]1d3+3d6[/roll]

New AC: 24

Just to be sure: The insect moved, shot two fangs, reeled Kabrakhan in, and bit him all in one round? Tom is probably crazy for charging this supper hasted insect but he is nothing if not loyal to his friends.

edit: roller apparently doesn't like two different dice in one roll, will roll for damage in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-02-14 at 10:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan snapped his jaws tight and tried to ignore the pain. As hastly as possible he tried to jump to his feet.

Spoiler
    Show

Fort: Roll(1d20)+5:
    19,+5
    Total:24

IF he gets up: attack bug-bastard!
    attack 1: Roll(1d20)+9:
    12,+9
    Total:21
    attack 2: Roll(1d20)+4:
    12,+4
    Total:16

damage roll in case i hit:
    1: Roll(1d8)+1:
    6,+1
    Total:7

2: Roll(1d8)+1:
    4,+1
    Total:5

also remember: i have the crystal of life drain. each time i hurt someone i heal 1 hp. works for 10hp each day
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dvurr is not on the map. I sure hope it's ok to assume that he would stay by the leader's side unless otherwise told, because that is certainly what I intended him to do, not stay 200 feet back at the cart. Can we assume that he is one square south of Nas?

If not, disregard the rest of this post.

Dvurr

Once Aldamir fired the shot, Dvurr takes off running. He seems to be seeking a better position.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

(this is all assuming that the present terrain provides no hindrance to movement)

Dvurr initiates a run action in the NW direction for 10 squares. According to the math, if you consider a diagonal movement to be 7ft(DM discretion), this is possible. Dvurr stops in the square that is 8 squares west of Aldamir(or where Aldamir is in the first image).

DM, it would be awesome if we could get some coordinates(letters, numbers) on the squares. But I realize that your grid is already awesome as it is and I'm not aware of how much control you have over how it looks depending on what method you're using to create it. If we can't get coordinates, then we need to make sure that everyone is extremely explicit in saying where they move.

EDIT: Dvurr's AC is 11 for this turn.
    Last edited by tumble check; 2008-02-14 at 09:29 AM.
    I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ettin takes aim and hurls its rock at Dvurr, then lumbers over to the dwarf as its projectile slams into him. The insect that didn't attack Kabrakhan scuttles nearer to Tom and fires its prongs. Both of them fly wide of the nimble halfling, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dvurr, take 10 damage from the rock, and the ettin is now threatening you.

Shade, I'll take your action into account after I know what Tom, Nas, and Fashai do next round. You made the Fort save, by the way.

New map:
    Last edited by Hades' Watchdog; 2008-02-14 at 11:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Please ignore, I posted Tom's action regardless of the result of his last attack.

for the DM:
    Spoiler
    Show

I need to know the result of Tom's last action before I post his new action. Did his dagger hit? did it look like the bug is injured? is it serious? Once you announce that I will edit this post with his next action.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-02-15 at 04:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254

Aldamir continues firing on the wounded bug that is now attacking Tom.

Spoiler
    Show
    The wounded one with my arrows sticking in it, that is.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-02-15 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Verb tense.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show

I just realized that Dvurr has +4 AC against giants(for being a dwarf), which this monster is. If you can remember if that attack still hits or not, let me know.

Dvurr

Dvurr shakes off the hit and comes to his senses. Stepping back, he throws out his hand and mutters some strange words as he gazes maliciously at the giant. The air around his hand undergoes a strange discoloration and spreads to meet the Etton's chest.

Spoiler
    Show

Dvurr takes a 5-foot step to C20, which does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Dvurr casts Ray of Enfeeblement, which is a saveless spell.

He is not wearing his Buckler shield at present, which mean Dvurr's arcane spells have a 5% chance of arcane spell failure.

5 or less, the spell fails - (1d100)[14]

spell resistance, if any - (1d20+2)[18] (1st level spell, but Dvurr has Spell Focus (necromancy))

If the spell succeeds, the subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to (1d6+2)[5] (because Dvurr's effective caster level for this spell is 4).

EDIT:

Dvurr this turn
    HP:33
    AC vs. Etin:16
    AC vs others: 12
    Will save vs spells: 10
    Last edited by tumble check; 2008-02-15 at 09:22 AM.
    I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Nas

Taking stock of the opening moves of the fight, he makes a quick decision to focus his efforts on the two headed monstrosity bearing down on dvurr.

He runs forward, his upper body pointed forward, arms trailing back, and charges at the ettin, doing a roll on the ground to duck under the giant's greater reach before leaping up and aiming a kick at one of it's heads.

Tsyaaaa!

Spoiler
    Show

Dodge Declared on ettin.
    Charge attack (unarmed strike - kick) vs ettin: (1d20+9)[12]
    Damage vs ettin if it hits: (1d8+2)[9]

Armor Class: 18 normal, 19 vs ettin, 23 vs attacks of opportunity from ettin
    - It's as true today as when I started adventuring: 'When in doubt, set something on fire.'

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Current Characters:

"a beardless dwarf is like darth vader in a tutu. you know that something is wrong!" - Shademan

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Tom continues using his daggers to cut into the insect while keeping his guard up.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Full attack with two daggers with modifiers as follows:

Flanking with Kabrakhan: +2
    Two weapon fighting: -2
    Combat Experties: -2 Attack, +2 AC

Attack 1: (1d20+9)[26]
    Damage1 (in case it hits): (1d3)[1]+(3d6)[15]

Attack 2:(1d20+9)[26]
    Damage2 (in case it hits): (1d3)[3]+(3d6)[7]

New AC: 24

edit 1: so damage is 1+15+3+7=26 if the monster's AC is 26 or less. 0 of its AC is 27 or more.

edit 2: on the last rounds action: damage last round is 15 if its AC is 28 or lower. 0 otherwise.

Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-02-15 at 04:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ettin lurches as Dvurr's spell hits it. The giant misses when it swats at Nas, but apparently is not so distracted as to be hit by the monk's kick.

Tom meets with more success as both of his daggers sink into the beetle's stomach once more, eliciting a shudder from the staggering insect. It appears to be barely able to stand on its feet, and when Kabrakhan leaps to his feet and slashes through its neck with his double-bladed sword, it collapses.

Aldamir's arrows hit the living insect near his other ones.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble: the ettin still hit. It rolled well.

New map:
    Last edited by Hades' Watchdog; 2008-02-16 at 04:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

when its my turn: "
    Scratched one bogey!
    " Kabrakhan gleefully hisses and charges the last bug.
    Spoiler
    Show
    current hp:36. (healed one)
    attack1: D20=18+9+2= 29
    AC: 22-2=20
    damage: 1D8+1=7
    Last edited by Shademan; 2008-02-16 at 06:29 AM.

on M&B:

20. - Top - End - #260

Spoiler
    Show
    Um, "arrow" or "arrows"? Aldamir is still using "Rapid Shot", so there should be two per round...

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Fashai
    Fashai quickly looks over the ettin
    "Tom, Kabrakhan, you take the ettin on the far side. I'll get on the opposite side so we can flank him."
    Wih these words, shadows cover Fashai and he disappears. An invisible blade slashes at the insect before Fashai re-appears on its south side.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using the cloak of deception maneuver, Fashai is invisible until the end of his turn. He moves to P17 and attacks: 19 while the ettin gets no Dex bonus to AC. Damage: 1d6+2=6+ Sneak Attack +2d6 = 9
    If I hit, I meet the triggering condition for the Moving Shadows option of the Gloom Razor tactical feat. If so, I treat the insect as flat-footed next turn.

Maneuvers Readied:
    Bonecrusher: +4d6, get +10 to confirm crit (SD)
    Cloak of Deception: invisible until the end of his turn (SH)
    Fire Riposte: counter for 4d6 fire w/ touch attack (DW)
    Drain Vitality deal +2 Con damage (SH)
    Shadow Garrote: 5d6 w/ ranged touch attack (SH)
    Strength-Draining Strike: deal +4 Str damage (SH)

Others that could be readied with Adaptive Style:
    Burning Blade: attacks deal +1d6+1/level fire (DW)
    Sapphire Nightmare Blade: attack for +1d6, and the opponent is flat-footed (DM)
    Stone Bones: Gain DR 5/adamant w/ attack (SD)
    Wolf Fang Strike attack with 2 weapons at -2 to each attack, standard action (TC)

Stances:
    Child of Shadow: gain concealment if move at least 10 ft, but cannot hide in plain sight
    Island of Blades: two adjacent allies flank all enemies adjacent to them
    Currently active: Assassin's Stance: Sneak Attack +2d6
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-02-18 at 09:39 AM.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the lack of posting. My basement flooded and I had to play sump-pump with two buckets, and now I'm upstate with my fiancée (away from my computer. Going right after our resident Lizardfolk, aye? So, turn I missed, and turn current.

Bram Leafgarbed

Calling forth to the skies in a strangely deep voice for his size, and making pulling gestures to the cloudless skies Bram gestures towards the insect remaining. From the clear sky, a lightning bolt suddenly materializes and strikes the insect.

Keeping Jacob circling, Bram jerks his hand down towards the insect once more, and the gesture is accompanied by another lightning bolt from the cloudless sky.

LightningDamage - (3d6)[10]
    LightningDamage2 - (3d6)[11]

As the bolts zap earthward, Bram continues to circle a hundred feet from the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Turn I missed, is casting 'Call Lightning' and calling the first bolt. Second round, pulling a second bolt. 4 bolts remain. Duration left: 58 rounds.

Reflex save for 1/2 damage from the bolts: 19
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ettin yanks two huge morningstars out of its belt and swings at Nas with one of them, but the impact of Kabrakhan's sword jerks it aside and the agile monk easily dodges the wounded giant.

Bram's two bolts of lightning, combined with Fashai's sword, bring down the remaining beetle in a twitching heap.

Spoiler
    Show
    New map:

24. - Top - End - #264

Aldamir smiled as the second insect died. Taking a small step toward the ettin, he fired two arrows into the giant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step and full round action to fire twice more at the ettin. Aldamir will continue taking five foot steps until the ettin is either dead, or within 30 feet (bringing Point Blank Shot to bear).

First shot: (1d20+10)[13]
    Second shot: (1d20+10)[21]

Damage if necessary:
    First shot: (1d8+2)[8]
    Second shot: (1d8+2)[3]

Also, I will be out from tomorrow afternoon through Friday night on travel for my job.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

"Youre dead meat walking!" Kabrakhan hisses at the Ettin and try to slash at the ettins gut and stab its groin.

Spoiler
    Show

if the ettin is still alive at my turn. if not, kabrakhan will jump onto the corpse ans roar for a full round.
    Attack1: 1D20+9= 14 (5)
    Attack2: 1D20+4= 11 (7)
    restore 1hp.
    Last edited by Shademan; 2008-02-18 at 03:58 PM.

on M&B:

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

With the second insect collapsing, Tom smiles and moves quickly to put himself in a suitable position for attacking the ettin.

Spoiler
    Show

Double move to F-15.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-02-18 at 04:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dvurr

Dvurr still feels the pain of the Etin's malice as he decides to approach it once more.

With one hand, he pulls his shield up before his body, and with the other, he grasps the emblem near his chest.

He runs forward, muttering some barely-intelligible dwarven words as his hand turns pale, and he attempts to grab the Etin's leg.

Spoiler
    Show

Dvurr stays in his square. He channels the spell Command into Inflict Light Wounds and casts it.

Once cast, he moves into square C18 an attempts a touch attack against the Etin.

Touch attack*** - (1d20+4)[24]

***This does not take size into account.

If the attack succeeds, the Etin takes (1d8+2)[5] negative energy damage if he fails a Will Save with a DC of 15. If he succeeds the Will Save, he takes half.

Dvurr this round:
    33 hp
    AC 17(size not accounted for)

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of Aldamir's arrows hits the ettin as Dvurr grabs its leg, and a large gash springs into existence where the dwarf makes contact.

Spoiler
    Show
    New map:

I'll include Aldamir's five-foot steps when I find out what direction they're in.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

"That bug wasn't so tough. This giant can't be much better, if they were hanging around together."
    With these words Fashai moves toward the ettin and slashes the air, creating a line of shadow that continues on past his swing. The string of shadow flies toward the ettin's throat and strangles it. Afterward, Fashai shifts his stance.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fashai moves to I16 and uses Shadow Garrote: ranged touch attack for 5d6 damage, and the ettin is flat-footed until its turn unless it makes a DC 14 Fort save. Fashai then switches to the Child of Shadow stance, gaining concealment (20% miss chance).
    Rolls:
    Ranged touch attack and damage (1d20+11=24, 5d6=24)
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Nas

Upset that the ettin was able to duck his kick, Nas resolves to cut the fancy crap and settle for trying a plain old beatdown.

Spoiler
    Show

Flurry of blows on the ettin:

Attack1: (1d20+6)[23]
    Attack2: (1d20+6)[20]

Damage1: (1d8+2)[10]
    Damage2: (1d8+2)[7]

Current Characters: