New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Anauroch: The Empire of Shade

Has anyone checked out this book? I would like to use something like this for a campaign but I can't find any useful information on it... I've heard it is a 'super-adventure'. I'd like to combine it with Tome of Magic. Does it have a lot of new material that could be pulled from it (monsters, spells, items, classes, etc.)?

And do I need the FR Campaign Setting?
    Last edited by Maerok; 2008-01-17 at 09:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Anauroch: The Empire of Shade

Well... It's the third in a three-part series. Also, using it with Tome of Magic might be a bad idea, and here's why. Spoilers for those playing through the adventure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The whole of the desert of Anauroch is one big dead magic zone, so magical abilities don't work throughout most of the book.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? Well I have the following books, which would seem to compliment the adventure well:
    Sandstorm
    Libris Mortis
    Tome of Magic
    Heroes of Horror

Though I forgot that magic was sort of knocked out. Eh, I'll still get it; takes far too long for me to create NPCs and such. But my main concern is does it need the FR Campaign book?

4. - Top - End - #4

No; all the monsters are detailed and the adventure is self-contained. The FRCS is nice, but not required.

However, the adventure isn't generic. While you can play it without knowing a lot about the Realms, there's a lot of stuff you just won't get. For instance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The PCs have to raid the ruins of Myth Drannor, visit Candlekeep, interact with a few different Realms-specific organizations, and so forth. It's nothing you can't handle, but you're missing out on a lot of the significance if you don't know the background.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2008-01-17 at 10:19 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I've played Baldur's Gate for a while so some of those are familiar; if they aren't to the players, then I can just tweak them.

So magic is shut down? In an ECL 13-17 campaign?

And is it pronounced "On a rock"?
    Last edited by Maerok; 2008-01-17 at 10:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Maerok View Post
    I've played Baldur's Gate for a while so some of those are familiar; if they aren't to the players, then I can just tweak them.
    Okay, you should be set then.
    So magic is shut down? In an ECL 13-17 campaign?
    Yes. The arc gets harder and harder on spellcasters the higher level it gets.
    And is it pronounced "On a rock"?
    Close enough. More like "An a rock."