New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Corrath - Group 1 IC

The crowded streets of Rynna. People of all kinds sizes and shapes surround you, pushing back and forth caught up in their petty fight for survival most of them call a life. The walls of the gargantuan nested buildings equally forming shelters and streets on different heights are covered in posters advertising the impending Procession Of The Great Beast or displaying propaganda defaming guilds while glorifying others and graffities painted by rebelling factions or mindless vandals.
    The actual ground is far below your feet. Down there, in the soils of the city are the areas of the homeless and those useless to the society of Rynna. Far above your heads in the highest towers of the white marble buildings the rich dwell, ignorant of the diseases of the city.
    An old woman with a crooked spine, clothed in dirty brown rags tries to hold on to Scabi's sleeve and speaks to you in a faint shivering voice "Spare a coin for an old beggar?"
    As soon as she finished her sentence a city guard appears from amidst the growd, pulls her away from you and beats her to the ground and drags her away.
    Far away in front of you, you see the shape of The Red Tower, guildhall of Cythian, reaching far above all other buildings of Rynna. A young white haired man in burgundy red robes sought your attention in a ragged tavern and told you the administration of Cythian sent for you as they needed a group of mercenaries.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fights should be posted in Initiative order.
    Everyone pick a speech color as normal.
    OOC comments and all rolls should be done in a spoiler tag at the end of the post.
    If you plan on a series of actions just write it down as if the rolls succeeded and make all the rolls in one post. If at any point a roll didnt succeed I will write to you what happened instead and you should edit your post accordingly.

OOC Thread
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-01-20 at 02:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Corrath - Group 1

Morin

Morin frowns at the old lady when she tugs on Scabi's sleeve, and the frown only slightly alleviates when the guard takes her away. "Entirely too many people, I would think." he says, half to himself, half to the others.

The little crystal that floats next to his shoulder bobs. Indubitably. But to help one requires us to help them all. Do we wish to do that? it sends to Morin, telepathically.

"Not today." Morin sends back to the crystal.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-01-20 at 02:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Albireo
    ((Speech color is Dark Red))

Albireo sighs, staring up at The Red Tower. "Man, it's been a while since I've been here." He turns to the rest of the group. "Everyone, be on your best behavior - these guys are sticklers when it comes to ettiquette and the social order."
    Last edited by FullPlateJacket; 2008-01-20 at 02:43 PM.
    "The only way to save the village... is through DANCE."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Scabi is a very tall, dusky man of indeterminate age who seems to loom far more than even his impressive height can account for. Though lanky and muscular he exudes a sense of power beyond that of his muscles. In fact his entire presence is of sensuous menace despite the mild expression of perpetual thoughtfulness. Perhaps because of his dark eyes which burn with intelligence and dark passion.

His apparel is strange with a long, sleeveless cloak that crosses itself in front, and behind to form forked tails. It is held around the middle by a sash of braided gold silk. His pants are loose, though made of a heavy, durable cloth. His feet are shod with soft shoes with thick but flexible soles.

What looks like all the world as a section of piping protrudes from a halter upon his back, the object overlaid with a shining layer of glinting silver. Black leather has been wrapped about one end for grasping.

As the woman grasps his sleeve and begins to plead he looks into her eyes with a hint of recognition. As she is pulled away he pauses a moment and then says to the others with a voice deep, polite, and beautifully seductive, "I will rejoin you in but a moment. Please, continue on."

He steps right into the thick of the crowd, which seems to part and envelope him immediately as if brushing through a field of grass.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-20 at 02:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

The Xeph frowns again as Scabi leaves, although he has watched the man do it before. "Don't cause too much of a problem." He says, right as he looses track of the man in the crowd.

The crystal bobs again. Follow him, Morin?

Morin shakes his head, the black and silver hair shaking as well. "He'll be fine. If he gets in trouble, it will be easy enough to find him afterwards. He isn't one that leaves well enough alone."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Krark strides through the crowd, which parts around him as the denizens of the city attempt to stay out of his way. Krark walks with a somewhat apish gate, slumping forward and walking with his knuckles as well as his back legs. A long dark metal halberd is strapped to his back and he wears dark leathers studded with metal made of the same dark material as his halberd. His eyes, though red, are icy and cold, and as Scabi moves off he merely grunts in response. and when Albireo speaks he scowls Obviously they've never had a Tanarukk in for company.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

"They're looking for mercenaries, Krark. They've probably had plenty Tanarukk come through. I would assume in the social order, we rank right where we're supposed to. Expendable, yet worth a great deal to the right people."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Albireo

Albireo scowls and turns to Krark. "What's more likely is that a Tanarukk has walked in there and walked out bound to the guild by a spell rather than a contract. Get it? These guys are not ones you wish to trifle with."
    Last edited by FullPlateJacket; 2008-01-20 at 03:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Krark snarls, revealing his large powerful fangs Well then they deserved what they got, obviously they were to weak to resist the feeble trickeries of wizards, I am not so weak, and this Armor and my Halberd are proof and he grins savagely I don't care so long as theirs a fight at the end of this.
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2008-01-20 at 03:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Albireo

Albireo sighs and shakes his head. "Well, if it's a fight you're looking for, you've certainly come to the right place. The guildmaster's arrogance and pride certainly get them into a lot of them. Lucky for us, we most likely will not be dealing with him directly."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

"I keep telling you Krark, if you want a fun fight, let us find an arena or open area and I will let you fight Krys." He motions to the crystal floating over his shoulder.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Krark chuckles deep in his belly mirthfully Why would I wan't to fight a floating hunk of crystal? No I desire a fight with a worthy foe in martial combat.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

As Scabi catches up with the guard, he finds him dragging the unconscious old woman down a narrow set of stairs that leads to a dark cornered corridor down to the slums. The guard doesn't seem to notice him as he pursues down the stairs.

----

The rest of the party hear a deep rough voice shouting over the voices of the crowd: "Today in the arena of Karrn: See the great Gorrn Two-Axe fighting a life red dragon!!"
    Somewhere to there left an ogre was towering over the crowd holding up handouts of the Karrn guild advertising their next arena battle.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

Morin chuckles as well. "You might laugh, but you've seen me turn into strange creatures before, have you not? I can have Krys turn into them as well. A hydra, for instance."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Pyll

The halfling (polymorphed form of the pixie, used in crowds and uncertain company) glares for a moment at the senseless violence of the guard. As Scabi parts company, his first impulse is to trot off after him. He starts too, but quickly turns back. Much too dangerous, getting between a beggar, a guard, and a, well, whatever Scabi was. Funny how he should look so obviously normal yet feel so dangerous.

"These Cynthians are masterful wizards, Krark. It wouldn't take a weak mind to fall victim to their magic. They know magic, and trust it just as much as you trust your strength. They live by it, and have focused it into weapons just as deadly as the steel you wield. We can fully expect that our dealings with them will include some magical prodding, and perhaps even an attempt at compulsion. I recommend you go along with it. Let their strength of magic lead to arrogance and then that's how we leave this place intact."

The diminutive man would have continued, but obviously something in the crowd or perhaps his mind distracts him. He abruptly goes quiet and and looks vacantly up above the crowd.
    Last edited by SirGhandi; 2008-01-20 at 03:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Albireo

Albireo smirks a little. "Or for some real danger, I could summon up something a little fiercer than normal. A hamatula, or maybe a bebilith, or a glabrezu..." He breaks out of his reverie when he hears the announcement. "Or, I suppose you could check out that Gorrn guy. He sounds tough."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

"Excuse me..." Scabi begins, approaching the guard. He doesn't even glance around to see if he is being watched as he reaches out to crack the guard's head against the wall of the stairwell.

Spoiler
    Show

Unarmed Strike = (1d20+11)[12]
    Damage = (1d8+2)[6]
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-20 at 04:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Krark grins again My halberd and armor are also proof of my skill against my demonic kin and at the news of the Karrn guild he looks up Hmm, Karrn guild huh, I used to be in that guild, lets see what all the fuss is about he grins and begins moving toward the towering ogre, the crowd yet again parting like a sea before him.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

As Scabi misses he turns his attack into an 'accidental' stumble down the stairs that 'nearly' causes him to strike the guard.

"These scum need drip all sorts of foul leavings upon these stairs to trip up a man..." Scabi says with a scowl.

Spoiler
    Show

Bloody Nat 1's...

Bluff = (1d20+22)[39]

Edit: Figures... what a waste.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-20 at 04:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Scabi's strike hits the unsuspecting guardsman at the shoulder plate of his scalemail armor. He drops the old woman and just barely manages not to trip down the slippery stairs. The guard turns around while drawing a longsword and starts shouting.
    "What in the nine hells was that all about?! You have one chance to explain yourself!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Make an additional attack roll to see if it just misses or is a critical miss.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-01-20 at 04:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Additional attack = (1d20+11)[30]
    Edit: Ok, the roller is deciding to have some at my expense today...

Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-20 at 04:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well then." the guard sheathes his weapon again. "But what are you doing down here? There's nothing but filthy beggars down this way. Nothing to get except the filth fever."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Scabi

"This woman is a disguised informant and she was bringing me a very important message and you have just succeeded in nearly ruining a delicate operation!" Scabi says grimly. "The guild will not be pleased, and you can be assured your superiors will hear of it. What is your name?"

"And speak truthfully, or this will show me otherwise. It has been ensorcelled.
    " he says, motioning to the rope belt about his waist.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff = (1d20+22)[39]
    Intimidate = (1d20+14)[15]
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-20 at 04:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"You dare threaten a man of authority? Here, she is. Go on whatever way you want but get out of my way, I do not care about your guild business and I owe your guild nothing!!"
    The guardsman pushes up the stairs past scabi and turns around. "The guilds might have their hands everywhere, but we're not scared of you! You better stay away from me, or I wont hesitate to take your head off!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: 17
    Intimidate: natural 20

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Scabi is impressed in spite of himself and for a moment feels the unfamiliar sensation of facing an opponent that could endanger him. Such a man could be useful...

He closes his eyes and lies a hand against the wall, and a tic begins in his eyes, beating irregularly to a strange rhythm.

Come back... a disembodied voice whispers, echoing up and down the stairwell as a soft thrumming beats from all around.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate resistance roll = (1d20+13)[17]

Edit: LOL, oh man, I'm about to strangle this roller.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-20 at 08:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The guardsman turns back to Scabi and walks back down the stairs. "Yes?"
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-01-20 at 05:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

"I believe we got off on a bad start." Scabi says with a small nod to himself at the guard's response.

After gaining information on what the guard's name is, and where he lives, they both go back up and part ways. Scabi walks at an easy pace towards the guild house, catching up momentarily despite the crowd.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-20 at 08:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The guard told you his name was Alfred Kal and he pointed you to a complex of buildings down the way you originally came

Scabi catches up with the party just soon enough to see Krark moving toward a lound and unusually articulate ogre.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll go have sme sleep now. Be back tomorrow afternoon.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

"A live dragon, eh? A wyrming I wonder, or something that actually would stand a chance at hurting someone?" Morin follows Krark to find out more about this dragon.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Jailbird

Jailbird watches from a nearby roof as his group works its way towards the tower. Looking down, he sees Scabi playing with the guard in the alley, and half-draws his dagger, a glint of steel that would draw the eye, if it wasn't surrounded and enfolded immediately by inky darkness. Walking across a thin board to the next building, he smiles silently to himself. Never a dull moment.
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-01-21 at 02:34 PM.