New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Eberron's Kin IC

EDIT: You are all somewhere IN this lightning rail coach - one of the people on their own. /EDIT

Karrnathh, 998 YK
    Two years after the last war

The coach is nearly empty this afternoon as the lightning rail makes its final trip of the day from Atur to Korth. The few occupants mostly keep to themselves, though a family of native Karrns huddles together to ward off the cold, and the conductor, a gnome whose Zilargo tunic looks out of place under the thick-furred coat he wears, plays Conqueror with a lanky human who looks vaguely Reidran. Others sleep or read to pass the time as the snow-covered trees of the Nightwood flash by, anxious to be back in safety of the capital before nightfall.

Suddenly there is a crash, as if some ancient god grumbled in the depths of Khyber, and the coach rolls twice before slamming to a stop on its side. The wind howls from beyond the broken roof of the cabin - the wind, or perhaps the wolves or worse hunting deep in the forest. One thing is obvious: this train isn't going anywhere.

And the sun is beginning to set.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2008-01-23 at 08:55 AM.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron's Kin IC

Wildmane

Wildmane pulls himself upright, checking himself for any damage, before he begins to look through the cabin checking on every person he can find making sure they are okay and not pinned against anything. He speaks up saying, "Is everyone okay?"
    This avatar brought to you by ThreeShades.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

A dark-skinned humanoid figure raises up from a broken chair. He dusts off the heavy leather coat that drapes his form before pulling up his hood and looking around the rest of the cabin. Wish I had more time.. Guess this'll have to do. A pair of gloved hands reach out toward his seat as the man steadies himself. He speaks in a low, but strangely elegant, tone. "Any of you lot left alive? Other than the kid back there, I mean."

He slowly picks his way across the cabin and toward the exit. His leather breeches don't interfere with his light steps, and he moves so as to not disturb anyone else. His cloak covers his face to the best of it's ability, and he appears as little more than another human.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on a Disguise check before leaving his place. DC 18 Spot to notice he's not human.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-01-23 at 06:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb

What looks to be a miniaturized wingless white dragon clambers out from under a pile of what probably was luggage. He shakes his head and holds it, probably due to a headache. Shaking it off, he snaps his teeth angrily and attempts to find a way out of their now-prison.

"I'm alright, at the very least," he says with a command of language that seems strange coming from one who appears so savage.

Closer inspection reveals a punching dagger at his hip, though it does not appear well-used. Perhaps he shows a preference for his more natural bite when he needs a weapon. Perhaps he has another means of protecting himself.

5. - Top - End - #5

Wildmane

Wildmane stand ups straight from his crouched position, and then it becomes clear he is not human. True to his name sake, a mane of thick hair flows off his head and a face that resembles a tiger. The mane turns into fur the rest of the way down, except where covered by a very simple set of traveler's clothing. He shakes a bit as if readjusting his balance.

Two kukri's are in sheaths tied just above his knees, as if to draw them from a crouch. He speaks up again, "Its going to get very cold soon, we should find a place where we can keep warm for the night. But first we need to find out how many people in this cabin are alright, and how many need care."

He shakes himself off again, before continuing his search, trying to account for everyone he remembered seeing.
    Last edited by Valairn; 2008-01-23 at 06:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb

"If you're worried about the cold, then maybe leaving the cab is a bad idea." He smiles a toothy grin before continuing, "Thankfully I don't need to worry about the cold."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

Hunter grins when he hears the wildman talk about helping other people. No one on this train even cares about his kind. Damn idealistic youngsters. "Ya, you.. Have fun with that." Hunter crawls out of the hole in the top of the lightning rail. He takes a moment to gauge where they've fallen, then climbs up on top of the cabin to look all around the broken machine. "Just great.. Hey, bat-thing. Think you can climb up here and.. I dunno. Fly or somethin'?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb

"My name's Caleb, and yes, I can fly." He lifts his arms, revealing patagia that appear they could suffice for wings. He clambers out on top with Hunter, cursing in a variety of languages1 as he gets caught on his way up, and looks around. "Question is, where'd I fly to?"

Spoiler
    Show
    1Auran and Ignan are his curse-languages of choice, for those interested.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-01-23 at 07:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The lightning rail coach lies on its side, and as Hunter clambers out, he can see the track ahead of the coach has been destroyed. Several of the crystals that made up the track are simply gone, as if some massive explosion had knocked them loose and sent them flying, but there are no scorch marks. Snow blankets the ground. Caleb finds that he can glide around just fine, but the wind strains on him - flying any great distance in this weather is likely to be nearly impossible.

Back in the coach, the family wails around one of their children, who appears to be trapped under a pile of luggage.

The gnome conductor shakes his head, as if to clear it. Of his gaming partner there is no sign.
    Last edited by MandibleBones; 2008-01-23 at 07:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Fly up. I need a point of reference to find out where the hell we are." He largely ignores the family's wailing. He doesn't have time for things that can't take care of themselves. "If you see anything dangerous, be sure to shout 'bout it."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb

"I'll do more than shout," Caleb says, pulling out a wand from under his cloak before attempting to find some sort of landmark to pinpoint their location from.

Caleb, like Hunter, will ignore the squalling family. Someone else will take care of it; I can help us get out of this mess.

12. - Top - End - #12

Wildmane

Wildmane growls at the hunter, but says nothing. The damn wretch should know better than to smart off to strangers, others are not as forgiving.

Looking to the child though, he moves to clear the luggage away, being careful to move it slowly to not upset any possible injuries the child may have. Looking to the family he says softly, "Gather clothing the temperature is going to drop and it will become quite cold."

After clearing the luggage away, he moves over to the gnome, he asks simply, "Are you alright?"
    Last edited by Valairn; 2008-01-23 at 09:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnome pats himself down. "I guess so," he says. "Where are we?" He starts heading toward the hole in the roof.

As Caleb flies up, he can see (through the blizzard) that the forest stretches on for some distance in either way. To what he can only guess is the east (since the sun is setting the other way), he can just make out the edge of the forest. What remains of the tracks heads toward the north out of site. To the south and the west is forest.

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb

"Forest in all directions. Tracks heading north, but the visible edge of the forest to the west. Can't get anything beyond that: the snow's too bad," Caleb says with some frustration.

15. - Top - End - #15

Tam

With a moan, a young woman rises to her feet from behind some fallen luggage, rubbing her forehead. Her brown eyes are alert, though, and she quickly scans the coach from behind her raised hand, a minor misdirection performed almost automatically. She finishes the motion by brushing her long black hair back and looking up, where she notices the dark-skinned man through the broken roof. Remembering him vaguely from when they boarded, she asks, "What happened? Some kind of accident?"

Linnea wears a warm set of traveling clothes in dark browns and blacks and a cloak of dark, mottled gray, with no obvious weapons. She appears human at first glance, but a more careful inspection shows the slightly pointed ears and eyes of a half-elf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tam took 10 on his Disguise check before leaving on this trip. DC 22 to notice anything off about "her" appearance, but you've had the whole ride to spot it.
    Last edited by Jacob Orlove; 2008-01-24 at 12:36 AM. Reason: avoid color overlap (whoops!)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

"Thanks little guy. At least one of us is gonna get this lot outta here alive.." He looks about from behind his goggles. He didn't have the same range on his darkvision as his brethren, but he was still better suited to this darkness than the girl or the hairy catman. That winged lizard thing was definitely his best friend right now.

Hunter closes both his eyes and brings his hands together in a strange prayer-like stance. He grows quiet as he focuses his attention on his nose. Soon, his mind expands to encompass a new sense. A powerful sense of smell. Hunter hopes down and sniffs around for anything important, then looks toward the girl and the catman. "Ya. Something broke the tracks. Either way.. We need a plan to get out of here."

The dark-skinned man looks over everyone inside the cabin, and then notes the one missing passenger. He sniffs around for a human scent, then speaks his peace plainly. "So we've got four gnomes, a catguy, girly over there, and my new best friend. My plan is simple, we hole up in here for the night and head out in the morning. We'll head northwest until we're outta the forest, then follow the tracks to the nearest town or village. Then ya'll be home free, alright?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hunter doesn't bother scrutinizing the half-elf or anyone else for that matter. He just takes people at face value.

He has assumed Hunter's Sense stance.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-01-24 at 10:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Another figure then makes herself known, pulling herself out from beneath some seats.

She is a slender waif of a girl well on her way to womanhood but still of the bright, smooth complexion of youth. She is short and delicate seeming, almost as if a doll had been enlarged. Her long hair is dark brown and curly, with a dark blue ribbon holding it together in back. Her eyes are of a blue so dark as to be almost black, and full of expression and empathy, along with something else thats difficult to place. Her face is thin and pale, almost tired seeming, with dimpled cheeks.

She wears a somber but stylish dress of some light, dark brown material that reaches nearly to her ankles. It possesses but a few frills and laces so that it is fashionable but tasteful. A sort of light, hose-like netting fits tightly over her arms and between her fingers. A thick, black cloak with a large hood completes the ensemble. Upon her feet are healed, button-up boots with pointed toes that raises her height to about 5'4". Around her neck is a tiny, silver chain with an exquisitely wrought rose pendant.

The girl appears slightly dazed and stands shakily before taking a deep breath to steady herself. Hearing the frightened wails of the children she makes her way in that direction in time to see the luggage being pulled off. She gives it a look over to see if it appears hurt.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-24 at 10:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The child being pulled out from under the luggage is dazed but alive - one leg twists at an odd angle and the young boy's face is a rictus of pain, but he appears to have escaped worse injury. The family looks at Rose in thanks for her concern as she approaches.

The gnome listens to Hunter thoughtfully, tilting his head.

"Not a bad plan," he conceeds. "I don't like the idea of being out here during the night, but it certainly beats being caught out there," he says, pointing to the hole.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

"Shhh, shhh..." Rose says, smiling comfortingly at the child. She gingerly lies a hand on his leg and grips her pendant with the other, whispering a prayer.

A faint, cheerful glow spreads over the limb as she gently strokes it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Giving up Magic Weapon to cast Cure Light Wounds to heal (1d8+2)[6] damage.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The child's leg snaps back to the place its supposed to be so fast the boy doesn't even have time to shout out. The glow removes any trace of his injury, as well as the bruises, and even clears up the cold sore on his lip.

He tackles Rose's leg and clings on like the world would end if she went a way. A silent thanks passes between the child's mother and Rose.

21. - Top - End - #21

Wildmane

Wildmane does his best to smile in Rose's direction, he speaks and says, "Thank you, I've never possessed any talent at healing people, with or without magic, and I'm sorry I could do nothing for him."

Then turning his head he spoke more generally, "If we plan on staying here tonight, we will need to have someone watch the exit, I am not a fan of the idea of wolves being able to sneak up on us while we sleep. I can take first watch, since we will be traveling tomorrow, we should have shorter watches so everyone can get enough sleep. Four two hour watches should give everyone more than enough time to rest and be ready. There is moderate safety in numbers as well, it would be wisest if we all moved together tomorrow. Is this to everyone's liking or should another plan be used?"
    Last edited by Valairn; 2008-01-24 at 12:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Rose nods slightly with a smile to the mother and after a minute of stroking the child's hair she tries to disentangle from it and hand it back to it's mother.

"Don't worry, it's alright now..." she says encouragingly. She then glances to the gaping hole in the side of the train and murmurs to herself, her brave facade wavering momentarily, "As long as another train doesn't fall on us..."

She stands and makes her way over to the hole and examines it, pulling the cloak about herself as the cool wind blows through.

"I... might be able to do something with it." she says hesitantly. "Though the doors would also need to be watched. At least if we close this though we'll keep warmer. Can any of you push some of the tears back together? Will make it easier..."
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-24 at 12:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnome looks at Wildmane eerily. "Don't you worry, friend. There's no coaches after dark in Karrnath."

At Rose's words, he rummages around in a bag by his feat. Painted on the side of the canvas container is a faded legend: 'Emergency Bag.' He pulls out a tiny-looking wand.

"If we can put some debris against the holes, I might be able to jury-rig something," he says. "No promises, but we can try."

24. - Top - End - #24

Tam

Linnea looks at Hunter strangely. "Something broke the tracks? We should investigate, before the snow buries everything." she says, obviously more concerned about figuring out what happened than with tending to the injured.

She wraps herself in her gray cloak, and blends easily into the swirling snow as she steps outside the coach. Seeing Caleb, she shouts "Any sign of what caused this?" before she turns to comb the site of the blast for anything out of place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tam is looking for footprints, if he can find any in the blizzard, and any other clues that turn up. He's going to take his time looking around, unless he has to hurry before the snow covers everything up. If it's too cold even with his winter clothes, he'll use his potion of Endure Elements, but only if it's actually necessary, not just if he's uncomfortable.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The cold bites at Tam, but at least for now, with the sun low in the sky, it is bearable. Upon closer inspection, track does show signs of tampering, as if some massive, heatless explosion blasted the crystals apart. Several additional crystals are missing in the distance, with a similar blast radius.

As the wind whips by, sounding almost like whispers, you get the oddest feeling that someone is watching you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a will save, please.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb

"This isn't natural or an accident, if that's what you're asking," Caleb says, landing back on the cab. "Gettin' a bit too windy for flight 'round now." He shakes off some snow, like a dog after swimming. "We doin' watches? I'll take the one near midnight. I'm better with cold than you folks. Kinda natural for me, y'kno?" He flashes a toothy grin, then pauses. He glances over towards a snowbank and points with a clawed finger. "I did see something that looked body-shaped over there. I'm going to go see what it is," he says and begins walking to the indicated spot.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-01-24 at 07:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Tam

"It's foul play for certain. But who's responsible?" Linnea agrees, tilting her head sideways to look at Caleb with some astonishment. She smiles weakly at his grin, clearly somewhat frightened, and unsure how to handle this strange creature. "What are you?" Her eyes light up, as though something has suddenly occurred to her. "And is everyone from inside the car accounted for?" she asks, following Caleb.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+4)[23] (add+2 if it's a Sleep or Charm effect). This could get interesting!

Also, bluff check to fake being somewhat frightened: (1d20+8)[22]
    Last edited by Jacob Orlove; 2008-01-24 at 07:27 PM. Reason: WOW, that was a bad typo. My apologies.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb

"I'm a new breed of dragon, if you will, born from a white dragon mother who abandoned me when I was young for my strange makeup. Bahamut has since blessed me with His favor and has granted me some of His powers as my own." Caleb shakes his head. "It's complicated."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter

The man looks at 'Linnea' with a scowl when she acts scared. He doesn't say anything, however, and just looks toward Caleb. "And here I thought you were just a bat-thing that could fly. Ah well.."

He moves over toward the tear, but doesn't try and pull on it. "I don't think I can move that, but I am willing to take the watch before and after the dragon-thing. I slept on the trip, so I should be good for tonight."

Hunter points toward where Caleb is walking. "Theres our gnome friend's gaming partner. He isn't bleeding, as far as I know. And catguy, you need a bath."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-01-24 at 08:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Rose is content to remain within where its warm(er) and glances about for loose bits to gather up for the gnome.