New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Supers in Skyline [IC]

Sun Kim

"Hmm...pretty tempting there, man. But I can't just rat on on people like Big Fella without "handymen" getting all over my ass, you know what I'm saying?

Money's fine, but I'm more worried about protection. And trust me: the crime bosses around here have eyes and ears everywhere, sometimes literally; the biggest ones got supers as enforcers and stuff. Hell, one of them might be listening right now.

Another thing pops into Sun's head.

"Plus...how're you plannin' on busting the big guys by yourself, anyhow? A nine millimeter won't get you far here, man."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rand

Ian winks at him.

"For your information, I have some nice equipment. Does the number 5.56 say anything? Maybe, .357? He drops to a whisper. Yeah, I know what you were really getting at. No, I don't have any super ray beams blastin outta my butt when I snap my fingers.

Rand chuckles, and reaches into his jacket.

"But if you don't feel comfortable talking about it, then," he says, while pressing a $100 into Sun's palm, "this conversation never happened. And if anyone comes by askin' about this, sayin' they heard it, just send em on over. I don't bruise easily."

Ian looks up, and stares down the road for a second before shifting his eyes back down to Sun's.

"Hey. There's a WackyFun down the street, and I am parched. You can come, you can run off, but I am getting me a DP."

He breaks away from Sun, and with his long gait makes his way towards WackyFun.
    Had I the cloths of heaven,
    I would spread these at your feet.
    But I am poor, and have only my dreams
    and I spread these beneath your feet.
    Tread softly, for you tread upon my dreams

Thanks to The_Squid for a perfect representation of my awesome scimitar/Town character, Deepsear!
    Awesome Agent 47 by Dr. Bath!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Sun stares at the $100, then at the man, then at the $100 again.

Oh, **** it. Big Fella's taken enough money from me anyhow.

He calls after the man, "Hey! Hey, wait up, man!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    The building is a six story concrete building, with a basement for training. Its about the size of a baseball field and is blockish and uninspired. It has small windows of reinforced glass and as well as having the air above reserved for flight training. The most important issue about the building is it is covered, top to bottom, with murals of the heroes who died in the service of their country and the city. This was commissioned by Agent One, leader of the SLEA
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James nods towards the building.

Yep. Here we are. A little... well.. blocky, but it's functional. The murals were a nice touch, I always thought.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

She doesn't look impressed with the building. "It's no Old Bailey, but I suppose if it works, it works. You spend much time here?"
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James seesaws his hand back and forth. A bit. Most of the time I'm out on patrol, but I hang around in case somebody needs something made, or just to see people, grab a meal in the commissary.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

"Do they have an auto shop or anything of the kind? Ground vehicles and tankers aren't exactly the same thing, but I can do engine work on them too." She looks at the doors then adds, "Mind showing me around inside?"
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Laura

Laura stops on the corner, feeling a little winded. She'd been walking briskly, but still—was she that out of practice? God, I've been living in cities too long. I used to love rambling around the countryside for hours on end. Maybe I'll walk from my apartment to work, see how that works out. For now, she was here.

She looks the six-story building up and down, then shrugs. If she was going to go in, she might as well go in and see if somebody could point her in the right direction. And conveniently, there was a couple right in front of the doors. "Excuse me," she calls in a sharp British accent, approaching, "are these the SLEA offices?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

Bryn's head whips around and a glad smile spreads across her face as she hears Laura's voice. "Nice to hear proper English for a change," she replies with the lilting welsh-brit accent of her own. "I'm told this is the place, but as you can see, I've not been inside as yet to verify."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Seeing that the stranger wasn't responding, Sun calls out again, "H-hey! Hey yo! I'm talking to you man, wait up!"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rand

Hearing Sun for the second time, and himself satisfied, stops in the middle of the pavement. He waits for Sun to catch up, and turns to him, a grin breaking out on his face.

"Oh, good! I was wanting that hundred to go to good use. Thanks for changing your mind. To tell you the truth, I haven't been doing this gig long, and I haven't been in this city long either. We can talk about what you know over some lunch. Oh, and we haven't really been properly introduced. My name is Ian."

Ian extends his hand towards Sun.

Thanks to The_Squid for a perfect representation of my awesome scimitar/Town character, Deepsear!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Laura

Laura smiles. "Likewise." She holds out a hand. "Laura Coleridge. Just arrived here a couple days ago. It's taking a while to get used to everything."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

"Bryn Llewelyn," she replies taking Laura's hand and shaking it warmly. "I arrived just last night myself. Looking for work and a place to stay. The whole place is new to me."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Laura

"Somebody to be disoriented with. Lovely," she says agreeably. "The complex I'm staying in is cheap and had openings as of two weeks ago, but I'm afraid I can't help you on the job front. I'm a little new to be reccomending anyone."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James waits for the two countrywomen to introduce themselves to each other for a moment, smiling as he sees a break in the conversation.

James. Nice to make your acquaintance. I was just showing Brynn around the place. You're welcome to come too, if you like.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Laura

"Be glad to," she replies, offering a hand to him as well as she realizes she's been ignoring him. "You're a native, I take it?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Sun stares at the hand for a moment, then grasps it.

"The name's Sun. Sun Kim."

Then he grins, a hint of youth seeping through the mask of grime and stoicism.

"So...how 'bout that WackyFun burger?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

"I might try that out, thanks," she says to Laura in response to the housing comment. She leaves the next move up to James-- stand and chat or head inside makes no immediate difference to her.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James nods at Laura's comment. Yes indeed... Well, to a degree. been here for a few years, studying at the university if you want to count that.

With that, he motions the two inside, preparing to show them around the building

(OOC: I don't know if you want to describe this part, or if I should just make it up.)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

(erm. I'm bad at descirptions, but here goes)
    The room has nice wood floors, and a round receptionist desk with three secretarys sitting around. Its a nice room, not the best furnished but nice, with some waiting chairs and a desk. There appear to be some streamers being set up.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rand

Ian leads the way down the street, keeping talk to small things: weather, other people, jokes, etc.

As they get to the counter of the Wackyfun, he delivers a final punchline.

"So Ike says, they just found the man who robbed my house. He was shot in the hip, and had a three of diamonds in his pocket!"

Ian gives a chuckle, hoping for laughs, and looks at the register dude.

"Ummm... hm... I am liking the #7 combo today, and hold the veggies. And put extra pepper jack on it. Danka! Alright Kim, go ahead and order."

Ian moves to the back to claim a not-so-decrepit table.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

Bryn approaches one of the receptionists. "Hello. I'm looking for work. Who would I speak to?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

James

As Brynn goes to speak to the receptionist, James turns to Laura So, what exactly are you here looking for?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Sun tries his best to keep his brain from melting into goo from Ian's terrible, terrible joke. Fortunately, he had burgers to help him with that job.

"Ok, uh, a #3 with a large drink aaand...oh, chocolate milkshake. Wait, make that two."

He pays and grabs the bags of (heart-rending, vein-hardening, super greasy) food and follows Ian to the table.

"What?

Oh, that. Come on, man, I haven't had a milkshake in, like, forever."

He sits down on a rickety bench made of black plastic and bites deeply into his cheeseburger. Having forgotten his table manners over the years, he sprays it while saying it.

"Ok, thanks for the food man. Time for business.

You said you're new here, right? Then here's a few bits of free info, stuff everybody who's not stupid knows. First off, we got three main crime groups here, the Suited Men, the Freaks, and the Olympians.

The Suited Men are pretty much old-school Mafia guys. They're probably the biggest and the richest, but not necessarily the most powerful, group around here, I think. Their boss is the guy I was talking about, Big Fella. Not so big from what I heard, but don't say that to a Suit, or he'll stick a 9mm to your face and tell you to apologize. The Suits are smart: as far as I know, Suits don't get busted. Not by the Police, not by the Feds, and not even by the...SLEA."
    Sun growls out the last word.

"...Ahem. The Suits tend to, uh, "charge a toll" on little guys like me, usually small-time thugs who don't belong to any major gang. When it comes to paying the tax, the Suits are like the Feds, but worse; they'll find you, beat you down, then take everything you got. And they always, always find you.

Then there's the Freaks. Supers gone bad, like a criminal version of SLEA, you know? They do some pretty minor stuff, like drug running, mugging, arms smuggling...they hang out around the rim of the city. They're kinda small, smaller than the Suits. But not even the Suits mess with the Freaks. Last week, word was that one of the Freaks is wanted for killing a SLEA loser.

And then...the Olympians. No, not really THOSE Olympians/ This is where we get into some pretty weird ****. This ain't Zeus, Poseidowhatshisface crap, man. I've heard that the kids, like Ares and Apollo? I think? Kicked out their daddies and now they're running some crazy cults here and there. They haven't done anything wrong...yet. But they're strong, they're on the down low, and people are scared. And don't bother hitting the books on these guys; word is that the new...gods? I guess? Are completely different.

So, uh, yeah. The three biggest dogs in the city and they're all out of our reach. Yeah, I've heard of Mr. ".357". I almost got hit by one in a gang war between the Suits and some other punk gang. Trust me, you're gonna need a whooole lota bullets to take out any of the three. And one you start, they'll hunt you down and kill you.

Maybe we could, you know, start small, for now?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rand

Ian slowly leans back and forth in his chair, digesting this statement. And his food. Always was a fast eater. Wiping some crumbs from his hands, and his jacket (with a stare at Kim), he brings his chair back into contact with the floor.

"Cripes... that's a lot of work to be done. We,"

Ian emphasizes this word, and smiles,

"are probably going to get into a lot of trouble with some very nasty people, so I need to know two things.

First, I need to know if you can take care of a few lowlifes on a small bust. Got a gun? Training with said gun? Some kind of martial art, or boxing? Knife skills?"

Ian leans back again in his chair, the aged, abused plastic protesting noisily at this treatment.
    Last edited by deepsear; 2008-01-31 at 05:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The receptionist looks up, "Are you a metahuman?" she asks simply.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

She shrugs. "I don't see why that's so important, but yes. I would much prefer work that didn't rely on my using those abilities, though."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"We don't supply that kind of work here, this is an agency that works in the protection and aid of the public through the use of superhuman abilities. There are other places to work if one wants a normal job." says the Receptionist steadily and simply, without any kind of malice or simple mercy, like reciting it out of a text book.

(Sorry, I just can't see them giving a job to someone who doesn't want to use their powers. Why don't you look in the paper for a job as a mechanic or whatever else your qualified for?)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryn

The woman looks a bit confused. "So you've got superhuman receptionist abilities or something to have that job? Who maintains the building? Or fixes patrol vehicles, or maintains an armory, if there is one? Who does the record keeping?" She doesn't have any anger in her tone, just a simple lack of understanding on how the SLEA works.

(Well, I figured that, since 2 players already work for the SLEA, it would make sense to try to form a team by joining up as well. And I figure Bryn's powers aren't going to be used that often in the first place, and since it hurts like the dickens to use 'em, she'd rather avoid it unless necessary. Even if she was hired as a super medic, she'd be spending a lot of time sitting around waiting for someone to get hurt. May as well give her something useful to do. I do have to wonder who does the day-to-day support stuff. Is there a Superjanitor running around cleaning the toilets with laser beams or something?)