New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Balancing Act

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default A Balancing Act

Welcome to the Monk Balance Test, conceived by myself, inspired by Sir Giacomo, and ran by several others. If all participants would check in, we'll get this ball rolling. Please submit a link to your character sheet with your first post.
    Credits for the participants

INTRO

Your group was tasked with a noble goal, tracking down and destroying the halfling lich, Cilat Brightmoor. Knowing that his phylactery was first key in laying this threat low for all time, you began hunting it down. However, every divination has revealed no information, either to its nature or its location. Resorting to another tack, your group decided to engage the lich in battle, destroy it, and keep divinations up for Cilat, whom you at least have some information on. You were successful in this task, however, were not able to locate the lich when he formed. The first time you were able to detect him was when he entered the prime material plane, and teleported there nearly instantaneously.

The lich, apparently caught by surprise, darted back into the portal he'd emerged from, followed closely by your group. Only then did you realize that the portal was keyed. When you arrived, you were without gear of any sort, in a small wooden shack. A rock with a Continual Flame upon it sits in the middle of the table, illuminating a short letter, carefully laid out.

"To my would-be assassins:

It's been a long time since I've encountered anyone who even came close to a decent challenge to my abilities, and I thank you for that. I consider myself a paragon of fair play, and so I wish to return the favor. You've destroyed me with a fair challenge, and I wish to return that favor. In this room, you will find a loose floorboard, with non-magical versions of your gear, along with the same for armor, and basic gear. Naturally, in the spirit of fair play, I've spared no expense, and you will find this all of the highest quality. Now, you could likely just whisk away from here, through planar travel, with no harm at all, but, before you do, consider this... At the end of your test lies my phylactery.

You have the opportunity to win your gear back during this challenge. Two thirds of your equipment is divided between two chests, that you will see on your travels. They are naturally locked and trapped, but the trap is such that if you can locate the keys to each chest, the trap will be rendered safe. The remaining third of your equipment is held by one of the creatures you will see in your travels.

To let you know in advance, the nature of this realm is such that all divination magics are completely thwarted. It is for this reason that I chose this to be the resting place of my phylactery. Enough of my rambling, however, you have a phylactery to destroy! Good hunting, and I hope you'll forgive me if I don't wish you luck in your travels.

Cilat"

Sure enough, there is a loose floor panel in the corner, and masterwork versions of all weapons and armor is there, along with basic clothing of a servicable nature. Outside, you see a massive cliff, easily 300 feet tall. In the distance, easily visible against the formless black above, lies a small glowing portal atop the cliff.

Challenge 1: Using no magical equipment, the entire party must reach the portal atop the cliff.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-01-25 at 05:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: A Balancing Act

It's been a long time since I've encountered anyone who even came close to a decent challenge to my abilities, and I thank you for that. I consider myself a paragon of fair play, and so I wish to return the favor. You've destroyed me with a fair challenge, and I wish to return that favor...
    Oh great, Ozymandias groaned. He's a talker.

...It is for this reason that I chose this to be the resting place of my phylactery. Enough of my rambling, however, you have a phylactery to destroy!

Finally!

Ozymandias looks up the cliff, then pauses to consider his options.

Divinations won't work, eh? That seems to screw me over a tad. Never the matter, we'll find a way to prevail, eh? He laughs.

Ozymandias grabs the stone of Continual Flame and tosses it in his hands, while trying to come up with a plan.

I estimate that the cliff is... oh... less than five hundred feet, which means I could take up up there if I shifted. Do you suppose that is our best course of action?

It would work, and yet... it seems to simple. Cilat knows we can make it past such an obstacle with ease. I say there's something on top of it, something else for us to face.

Like a monster or something.

He paused to let his words sink in.

Incidentally, gentlemen, what are we to do about healing? I don't think any of us can mend flesh or broken bones... or have one of you been dabbling in the divine magics when I wasn't looking?
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-24 at 02:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Drat, Solo, the Tangled Web is a blocked site at my current location. Darn websense categories.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Incidentally, gentlemen, what are we to do about healing? I don't think any of us can mend flesh or broken bones... or have one of you been dabbling in the divine magics when I wasn't looking?
    Today 01:15 AM
    Dont look at me, Torc said, my primary skill lies in breaking bones, not mending them.

but about the cliff, then i guess i could sneak up and see if i can spot any nasty surprises waiting for us
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2008-01-24 at 07:50 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

By all means, scout for us if you feel you can do so.

I suppose I could call up Phantom Steeds for us, but that would take the better part of half an hour, and you'd probably be up there by then.

I offer to cloak you, but I don't know if you'll be able to make it up there before the spell expires. By my estimates, Greater Invisibility should last about three minutes.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-24 at 09:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Gragthor frowned, looking at his distinctly non-glowing spiked chain. Gruh! Where Luthor? Gragthor will break short man for taking Luthor!

OoC: Please meet Gragthor, half-orc barbarian with an intelligence of 6! Normally, he has an intelligent spiked chain named Luthor that does most of his thinking for him, but he's regrettably absent at the moment. So for now, just point Gragthor at what you want broken.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

OoC: You've still got magic items factored into your stat scores

Yeah, that's one way of putting it.

So, do we just teleport up, or do you still want to scout up, Torc?
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-24 at 03:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

dam, i also feel naked without my Celestrial gauntlet... oh wait, that bastard took my robe as well, that explains it.

well, no reason to jump into a trap again, if there is anything nasty lurking up there i might as well try to spot it before it spots us.

Torc will try and sneak up the clift, while trying to see if there is anything hostile lurking around

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Generic McCleric.

"Don't be ridiculous, Ozymandias. I serve Corellon, and heal with his blessing, as I always have... and it'd be foolish to go into this unprepared. I will conjure us a Heroes' Feast, and you can summon your phantom steeds in the meantime, and cast other long-term spells."

Gen, the wood elf, retrieves the mundane versions of his equipment, scowling at the shoddy version of his finely crafted holy symbols.
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-01-24 at 07:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Ozymandias jumps noticeably as Gen speaks.

Gen! Where'd you come from? I though there was only three of us?

OOC:

Ozymandias calms down and begins to manipulate the ambient arcane energies of the land.

I think the most efficient use of my power would be to teleport us all up there in one go after Torc scouts the area.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-24 at 10:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

(Solo, looking at your sheet, that's kinda unoptimized for a high-level mage. Am I missing something?
    Gragthor, a Brilliant Energy weapon will probably hurt more than it helps.)

"Possible. Likely, even. Still, wouldn't you rather have the Feast and put up defenses, first?"

Gen takes the non-magical equipment meant for him, and casts Magic Vestment on the substitute chain shirt (but not on the stupid, useless, non-floating shield) and Greater Magic Weapon on the bow. Gen also casts Moment of Prescience.
    "One Magic Weapon and three Magic Vestments left. Who wants one?"
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-01-25 at 03:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

(Solo, looking at your sheet, that's kinda unoptimized for a high-level mage. Am I missing something?
    Yes, the fact that my sheer awesometude will be enough to win the day.

Feel free to PM me telling me what's unoptimized, but the short answer will be that I was feeling lazy. That and the sorcerer will probably do just fine as is.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-24 at 11:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

(Lorelei, got a better idea than Brilliant Energy? Feel free to make any suggestions)

"If Gragthor don't get to breaks things yet, food is good! Gragthor want feast! Gragthor also want spells on weapon for bashing. An' armour for not gettin' bashed."

(heh, fonts are fun.)
    Last edited by Worira; 2008-01-25 at 12:18 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

If Torc is going to take more than an hour, I fear I shall grow impatient and make my own way up there.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Worira:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brilliant Energy doesn't do anything about natural armor; actual-armor-wearing opponents are relatively rare. And it makes you unable to hit, say, undead and golems at all. I'd suggest one of either Speed or Holy, and then Evil Outsider Bane. Heck, you look like you could afford all of those--you should also have a Ring of Freedom of Movement (for when we get our stuff back), it's almost mandatory. If you need gold for that, Free up some gold from your armor or shield--you could even take them down to +1 and buy me a Pearl of Power III or two instead, since I cast Magic Vestment.
    If you don't need to free up the gold, Heavy Fortification is still better than straight plusses for the armor, due to Magic Vestment.

Other important items are Wings of Flying (add the Cloak of Resistance property to them, paying 1.5x the multiplier for multiple effects), a Helm of Teleportation, Boots of Speed--even a couple of pairs--if your weapon isn't Of Speed, and a Rod of Cancellation.

Gen casts a Greater Magic Weapon (chain becomes +5) and Magic Vestment (armor becomes +5) on Grogthar's stuff.
    "You could at least Mind Blank the big lunk."
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-01-25 at 12:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Indeed. I think we should get our long-term spells out first and foremost.

Oz casts Mind Blank on Grogthar, himself, and Gen. It will last for the rest of the day.

(If Torc hasn't left yet, he can still get one, but I think he's moved on by now. Btw, shouldn't Torc be making climb checks to scale the cliff?)

I'm sorry I can't do more for you guys, but Gen was always the main buffer.

He then moves to the hut they found themselves in and casts Shrink Item on it, turning it into a bolt of cloth.

The letter from Cilat receives a light dose of Explosive Runes.

Packed up and ready to go, guys.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-25 at 01:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Torc will try and sneak up the clift, while trying to see if there is anything hostile lurking around.
    Speed of travel up the cliff? Standard or accelerated climbing?

Time Count, by my estimate:
    Spoiler
    Show

5 spells cast by Generic McCleric - 5 rounds required
    5 spells cast by Ozymandias - 5 rounds required

Time estimate on length of "assess the situation" dialogue - 2 rounds

Total time elapsed: 7 rounds. (Oz's spells + Gen's spells cast at same time, + 2 rounds of dialogue)
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-01-25 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Formatting error correction

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

well the climbing speed depends of the difficulty of the climbing check, if the dc is 12 or lower then ill do the accelerated climbing, giving me a movement speed of 40
    else ill take normal climbing speed, in this case 22.
    while doing this ill also use both hide and move silent, with the -5 penalty for moving more than half your speed.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

(This is taking too long It's been a day since he said he'd climb the cliff and we have nothing.

If khane is here, could you please roll that climb check? If Talic is here, could you please roll the climb check for him?

Or something, ya' know, to advance the test?)
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-01-26 at 03:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

well i have allways assumed talic would make the serie of checks nececary for this action, since its a check made per move, and im not sure if its possibel to take 10 on it.
    besides this we also have to considder the result of my "stealth" attempt, as well as my efford to defeat any potential ambushers "stealth" .

for ease of reference my climb is +12, my spot is +18 and my "stealth" is +23.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

(You could do it now, really.... heck, I could roll for you. )

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

well we are still lacking the climb dc, if i can move at a speed of 40 it will be 7 checks, if not it will be 14.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

(Meh, roll 14 checks in two groups of seven. Tell Talic to take either the first group or the second if that's what it takes.

I can't help but think that whatever your movement speed is, you'd make it to the top eventually, so...)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

After a quick test of the lower levels, you notice that the DC is a bit too hard for you to speed up without any chance of failure, and it looks a bit more unstable higher up (DC 15 for 150 feet, DC 20 due to unstable handholds from 150-200, and DC 15 again for the final 100 feet).

Taking 10 for going at a steady pace up proves successful, and when you finally stealthily peek your head over the top, you notice the portal atop the ledge appears to be the only thing of note at the surface of the cliff. It is built right at the very edge of the precipice, so as to make it easier to view from the bottom. However, the positioning of the portal makes it much easier to walk through it from plateau side. This could cause problems if the portal doesn't work properly, or has intermittent function, as you would then be walking over the cliff edge.

Time count for this segment:
    Spoiler
    Show

taking 10, 14 times: 14 rounds.

Total elapsed time, 21 rounds

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Let's assume he gives the "all clear" signal and Ozymandias teleports everyone up, shall we?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Torc waves down to the rest of the party and yells

All CLEAR GUYS

after Ozymandias has brought the rest of the party up.

well this was to easy, but i suspect there is a nasty surprise in lie for us at the other end of the portal, or else the surprise is that the portals doesnt work.

If Sir Generic would finish the last blessings, then i can test if the portal works, or if its just a shortcut down the cliff.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2008-01-28 at 06:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Gragthor looks down at the bottom of the cliff.

"Gruh, I kin try puttin' the end of dis chain through, den we kin see whut 'appens to it."

Gragthor flicks the last 5 feet or so of his spiked chain through the portal, then pulls it back out.
    Last edited by Worira; 2008-01-28 at 06:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

You know, we could also tie a rope around you, Torc, as you go in.

One pull means for us to pull you out quickly, two that it's clear, and three if you're dead.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

For the PC Participants:
    Spoiler
    Show

If any whose magic items (that were removed) are not currently on your character sheets (as of this very moment), please PM me with the list...

It seems that the lists for each item drop will need to be made shortly, as I fully hope that each and every knickknack will be returned to your characters in lovingly pristine condition. Whether that actually happens is entirely up to you, though. :)

For the OpFor:
    Spoiler
    Show

Get ready for the first combat encounter. The creatures you have here likely won't have the Intelligence to take advantage of the clue that the PC's just gave (partial view of a weapon), but as soon as someone steps through and gets a description, you are weapons free. I anticipate that Barbarian cutting through your critters like a knife through butter, but the monk may surprise me and show some effectiveness. I expect nearly nothing from the Sorceror here, and only marginal effectiveness for the Cleric. Granted, that means that the sorceror will likely murderize future encounters due to more spells remaining, but we'll see, right?

For the current portal tests:

Flicking the chain through causes arcs of apparently non-harmful energy to crackle around it, exactly at the plane of the portal. It apparently just disappears, however, pulling back returns the entire chain, whole and undamaged, to your view.

<It went through and came back ok.>
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-01-29 at 06:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

how many tugs on the rope was it now for "help im stuck in a Gelatinous Cube"?

anyway, we dont have a rope since it got lost with the rest of our equipment, but the portal seems to work, so im going to jump though, if im not back in 10 sec assume its either a one way trip, or that im in trouble.

Torc jumps into the portal