New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A Balancing Act

1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Balancing Act

For future reference, please do not roll for my golems, that's quite annoying.

Finally: Damage is averaged, so 4d8-3 works out to 15, thus the golem takes 5 points of damage.
    well it was to speed things up i rolled for the golems as well, when i start grapling there will be a lot of opposed rolls, and i just though it would be easyer if i made the rolls for the golems then as well.

and 4d8-3 is counting the golems damage reduction, so it takes 15 points of damage.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

The cleric watches, knowing his bow can't hurt these things without his spells. If someone needs healing, they can step back through the portal with him.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

Golems act prior to monk. Thus the Golem (Otherone) will get his action as posted. Torc's action is at the top of next round. Either way, though, Golem (otherone) would get 1 attack. If Torc had gone first, and had moved in, tumbling, he still would have been subject to the attack from the Golem's readied action.

Golem (otherone) requires a move greater than 5 feet to reach gragthor, thus, it may only make one attack.

Error in golem action. According to SRD (Readied Actions), when a combatant uses a readied action, the point where the action is triggered is its new initiative count, just before the combatant who triggered it. Thus, Golem (Attacked One) acts just before Gragthor in the count, and does not get his action at initiative count (5). Full attack is waived. Result: Golem (Otherone) gets action, hits once, for average damage, less Gragthor's DR.

Torc successfully grapples Golem (SRD: Opposed grapple checks: Ties go to the participant with the higher modifier). Damage is dealt.

Bear in mind, when making attacks with a penalty to damage due to DR, the result can be 0 (instead of 1, as specified in SRD). It doesn't apply in this case, but just something random to bear in mind.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-04 at 02:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

Golem Sanity Check, round 2. If the result is greater than 100, the golems are berserk on their next action.

Golem (Ungrappled): (1d100+2)[100]
    Golem (Grappled): (1d100+2)[87]

Edit: Neither go berserk.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-04 at 02:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, when Gragthor charged, doesn't that end the initiative for that round? Doesn't that mean a new round(and thus my golem gets to act this round at Initiative 5)?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Wait, when Gragthor charged, doesn't that end the initiative for that round? Doesn't that mean a new round(and thus my golem gets to act this round at Initiative 5)?
    Initiative 11: Gragthor charges

Golem one's ready action triggers: attack (Initiative changed to 11, just before gragthor)

Charge completes.

Initiative 5: Golem two: Normal action, since readied action did not trigger

NEXT round

Initiative 11: Golem one: normal action
    Initiative 11: Gragthor: normal action
    Initiative 5: Golem two: normal action

Remember that you can take a 5-foot step as part of a readied action assuming you have not moved in the round.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2008-02-04 at 06:30 AM.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Golem Sanity Check, round 2. If the result is greater than 100, the golems are berserk on their next action.
    Er, 2% chance should mean 99 or 100 out of 100, not 101 or 102 out of 102.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

No.

Initial initiative count:

Rachel - 17
    Lord Khane - 14
    Solo - 12
    Worira - 11
    Golems - 5

Golem (ungrappled) performed a readied action triggered by Worira's charge on Initiative count 11. Following this action, that golem's initative changes to that count, immediately before Worira. At that point, the initiative looks like this:

Rachel - 17
    Lord Khane - 14
    Solo - 12
    Golem (ungrappled) - 11 (1)
    Worira - 11 (2)
    Golem(grappled) - 5

Worira then completed his action, and we continue down the count to the other golem, at Initiative 5. That golem moved and declared an attack. Following that, New round starts, with Rachel delaying, and Lord Khane grappled the golem at initiative count 5.

Current action is to Solo, at initiative count 12, followed by the ungrappled golem, and then Worira.

Reference material for ruling:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Readying an Action
    A character can ready an attack action or a move action. To do so, the character specifies the action he or she will take and the conditions under which the character will take it. Then, any time before the character’s next action, the character may take the readied attack action in response to those conditions. The readied action occurs just before the event that triggers it. If the trigger is part of another character’s actions, the readied action interrupts the other character. The other character continues his or her actions once the readied action is completed.

The character’s initiative count changes. For the rest of the encounter, it is the count on which the character took the readied action, and the character acts immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered the readied action.

A character can take a 5-foot step as part of his or her readied action, but only if the character didn’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

If the character comes to his or her next action and has not yet performed the readied action, the character doesn’t get to take the readied action (though the character can ready the same action again). If the character takes his or her readied action in the next round, before his or her regular turn comes up, the character’s initiative count rises to that new point in the order of battle, and he or she does not get your regular action that round.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-04 at 05:55 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Lorelei View Post
    Er, 2% chance should mean 99 or 100 out of 100, not 101 or 102 out of 102.
    1D100 +2 is still only 100 different numbers. I just shifted it to show a steady result that would reflect the odds.

It's 3-102, with any result above 100 being a berserk.
    Next round, I'll can do 4-103, with any result above 100 being a berserk. (1d100+3).

Math is the same, I just phrased it differently.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

I ready an action to seperate a Golem from someone with a Wall of Force if asked to do so, and end my turn.

Good thinking Torc! The knees are a vulnerable spot!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I thought Worira was the last in the initiative count. Nevermind then. The ungrappled golem just five foot steps back toward his companion and full attacks the monk.

Golem(Ungrappled): (1d20+14)[19]; (1d20+14)[24].

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

isnt that a bit to intelligent for a golem?
    the ungrappled one was last hit by grag, would it not be attacking him back?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Lord Khaine is closest to the chest. Priority goes to things closest to the chest above all else, including their own safety.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

Sounds reasonable. Golems have a really dumb action plan in the absence of orders. The orders I gave him for the golems were to protect the chest, and attack anyone who approaches it. Establishing a rule "Always attack closest to the chest, and stay within 1 move of chest at all times" accurately plays to a low intelligence. Especially since that pattern should not change, even if the players do something to mitigate the effectiveness of the strategy.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

hmm yeah that actualy makes sense.

Grag! smash this one before it breaks free
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2008-02-05 at 05:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

Golem hits 1 attack, assume average damage.

Next up is Gragthor, followed by the grappled golem, and then top of the order with Rachel and the Monk.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Gragthor smashes some more.

Power attacking for 15 points of BAB, each hit dealing 54 damage or 44 through DR:
    (d20+19)[27]
    If this attack drops the golem, I will 5-foot step within range of the grappled golem and complete my attack sequence against it, if a 5-foot step will reach. If a 5-foot step will not put me within spiked-chain range, I will instead move adjacent to the grappled golem. If this attack does not drop the golem, I will continue my attack sequence until I either drop this golem or run out of attacks, at which point I will take a 5-foot step towards the grappled golem, and complete my attack sequence against it if I am within range and have attacks remaining.
    (d20+14)[23]
    (d20+9)[12]
    (d20+4)[10]

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

Ozymandias cheers.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

You can just assume that Gen keeps delaying until someone gets seriously hurt.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

so that should break the ungrappled golem, and give the other golem a singel whack on the head.

Nice blow, but wrong golem...

Torc says while trying to twist the knee off the last golem.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    so that should break the ungrappled golem, and give the other golem a singel whack on the head.

Nice blow, but wrong golem...

Torc says while trying to twist the knee off the last golem.
    It should do both, correct.

OOC, his attack sequence was the best possible move I could see. Both were attacking you. One got to hit you without your dex modifier, and without a -4 to hit from being grappled.

That one is now squished.

IC, As the first of two golems shatters into hundreds of pieces, something glinting flies out of the golem and lands a short distance away. It appears to be a key of some sort, consisting of 8 prongs radiating out from a central shaft.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

yes but the one he killed had allready acted this round, if he had killed the grappled one then it would have died before it got its action on initiative 5, and then i could have killed the last one before it got its next turn.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Behold! I believe it is one of those keys that will unlock the chest!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

The grappled golem just makes a couple of grapple checks:

(1d20+19)[37] / (1d20+19)[27]

If the first one succeeds, then the second one will attempt to damage the monk.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

The grappled golem just makes a couple of grapple checks:

[roll0] / [roll1]

If the first one succeeds, then the second one will attempt to damage the monk.
    You're in a grapple, so shouldn't both of those be attempts to do damage?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

You have to control the grapple to do damage, don't you?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

There's no such thing as "controlling the grapple", other than pinning.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, well then both of those attempts would be to damage the Monk.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

Correct. You can either make an attack at a -4 penalty, or make a grapple check to deal damage as an unarmed strike.

Source: SRD, relevant portions bolded:
    Spoiler
    Show

While you’re grappling, your ability to attack others and defend yourself is limited.

No Threatened Squares
    You don’t threaten any squares while grappling.

No Dexterity Bonus
    You lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if you have one) against opponents you aren’t grappling. (You can still use it against opponents you are grappling.)

No Movement
    You can’t move normally while grappling. You may, however, make an opposed grapple check to move while grappling.

If You’re Grappling
    When you are grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), you can perform any of the following actions. Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action). If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but at successively lower base attack bonuses.

Activate a Magic Item
    You can activate a magic item, as long as the item doesn’t require spell completion activation. You don’t need to make a grapple check to activate the item.

Attack Your Opponent
    You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a -4 penalty on such attacks.

You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons.

Cast a Spell
    You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need. Any spell that requires precise and careful action is impossible to cast while grappling or being pinned. If the spell is one that you can cast while grappling, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose the spell. You don’t have to make a successful grapple check to cast the spell.

Damage Your Opponent
    While grappling, you can deal damage to your opponent equivalent to an unarmed strike. Make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If you win, you deal nonlethal damage as normal for your unarmed strike (1d3 points for Medium attackers or 1d2 points for Small attackers, plus Strength modifiers). If you want to deal lethal damage, you take a -4 penalty on your grapple check.

Exception: Monks deal more damage on an unarmed strike than other characters, and the damage is lethal. However, they can choose to deal their damage as nonlethal damage when grappling without taking the usual -4 penalty for changing lethal damage to nonlethal damage.

Draw a Light Weapon
    You can draw a light weapon as a move action with a successful grapple check.

Escape from Grapple
    You can escape a grapple by winning an opposed grapple check in place of making an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you so desire, but this requires a standard action. If more than one opponent is grappling you, your grapple check result has to beat all their individual check results to escape. (Opponents don’t have to try to hold you if they don’t want to.) If you escape, you finish the action by moving into any space adjacent to your opponent(s).

Move
    You can move half your speed (bringing all others engaged in the grapple with you) by winning an opposed grapple check. This requires a standard action, and you must beat all the other individual check results to move the grapple.

Note: You get a +4 bonus on your grapple check to move a pinned opponent, but only if no one else is involved in the grapple.

Retrieve a Spell Component
    You can produce a spell component from your pouch while grappling by using a full-round action. Doing so does not require a successful grapple check.

Pin Your Opponent
    You can hold your opponent immobile for 1 round by winning an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack). Once you have an opponent pinned, you have a few options available to you (see below).

Break Another’s Pin
    If you are grappling an opponent who has another character pinned, you can make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If you win, you break the hold that the opponent has over the other character. The character is still grappling, but is no longer pinned.

Use Opponent’s Weapon
    If your opponent is holding a light weapon, you can use it to attack him. Make an opposed grapple check (in place of an attack). If you win, make an attack roll with the weapon with a -4 penalty (doing this doesn’t require another action).

You don’t gain possession of the weapon by performing this action.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-02-08 at 11:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

2 rolls to defend versus the golem.

(1d20+26) (1d20+26)[45]
    (1d20+26) (1d20+26)[29]

after that on his own turn Torc will try to kick the golems head off

Fist Of Justice!

(1d20+18) (1d20+18)[29]
    (1d20+18) (1d20+18)[29]
    (1d20+18) (1d20+18)[26]
    (1d20+13) (1d20+13)[24]