New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild HQ IC #2

Gylvin

"I have no problem sharing spells amongst ourselves at no cost. As far as scroll creation goes, my thought is that if the scroll is being created at the behest of the guild, then the mage should receive 1/2 the cost of the spell plus materials from the guild (provided they have not reached the 1000gp point, then they would get 90%). The scroll would then be guild property. If the mage is creating a scroll at the request of another guild member or civilian customer, then payment & guild contribution would be handled under the terms of our contract.

{OOC: I agree with DavidBryon, let's let the IC threads catch up.}
    I hate it when other people use my ideas and don't even bother to give me credit --Anonymous

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." —Mark Twain

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 2nd SPAM meeting.

Spoiler
    Show
    After the adventures and the death of the doge

Matthew waits for Zan and the others to turn up. He fidgets a little. How much interconnects? How much should he say? All of it?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default *thud*

Zan walks into the meeting hall, takes a seat, and allows his head to fall on the table.

"Please no numbers. Not for a few moments."

4. - Top - End - #34

Default SPAM - the second meeting

Spoiler
    Show
    SPAM - the second meeting?
    SPAM part deux?
    Son of SPAM?

With only Zan and Matthew in the room so far Matthew decides, "What the hell?"

OK, secret, secrets.
    Well the big one is that there seems to be some kind of super powerful monster on the lose frying people (so far only its own minions) and opening strange portals. We have two sister cultists locked up in the stables going on about some god killing super-nasty. A bunch of goblins mixed up in the odd business of an entire town up river seeming to be blotted out. There's some sort of poison wielding assassin from Midford knocking around at the same time as the doge drops dead... Oh and Ana has some kind of very powerful curse aura on her. But that last one's a big secret so -- hush hush.

So how was your week?
    You wanna talk about numbers now?

Matthew puts his head in his hands and lowers it to the table. Yeah that was probably not a smart thing to say. But if I had to say it to anyone I guess saying it to Zan was best.

Uh. I think there's some sort of no drinking policy in the li.... actually could I have some of that please?

5. - Top - End - #35

Default Meh flask.

Zan lifts his head off the table for a moment.

"If you can find a container of some sort, I'll give some to you. But I can't let anybody else drink from this directly." He sighed apologetically. "That was a large list of grievances from you.... is this the end of our world or something?"

Zan looked for a cup or something nearby that he could use to give Matthew a sip. "To hell with it.." He stood up and walked over. "Lean back and open your mouth, and I'll pour it in."

6. - Top - End - #36

*Mental image of Zan pouring alcohol down his throat as Gylvin or Lankin enters the room* I better pass on that.

is this the end of our world or something?
    I may have exaggerated for artistic effect.

But I was wondering if your church might know something. Not about the small stuff like wars and assassinations and such; I dare say that wouldn't interest them much. Too normal. Too mundane? But if there's anything more ... out there... weird or cosmic going on ... the church of Boccob might have heard of it, what with Boccob being the Lord of Secret Knowledge and all that.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

As Dravick enters the room for the second SPAM meeting he overhears the end of the conversation between Matthew and Zan.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidByron View Post
    ...weird or cosmic going on ... the church of Boccob might have heard of it, what with Boccob being the Lord of Secret Knowledge and all that.[/COLOR]
    I wonder what they're talking about. "Secret Knowledge? I'm always interested in finding out some secret knowledge." He smiles coyly, at the men and says, "But seriously, what's going on?"
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

8. - Top - End - #38

Default SPAM part deux!

Well you know Bruce is digging the jail out because we have some prisoners, right? Well two of them are women and Bil says they might be sisters. They seem to be part of some eschatological cult. You know -- "the world is ending" blah blah blah. That was my impression but I haven't had a chance to interrogate either one yet. They had these matching ceremonial daggers and they were both screwing with the guild. Hey that reminds me --- did you guys ever find out who sent that special package that Dravick opened up?

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume that episode is well known because,
    (1) it was so public; even Elga would know of it
    (2) it was pretty funny after the fact

Matthew's had some experience with nutty cults through his dad.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am Dravick

"No, we haven't. Yet. But we're following some leads. Why, do you have any info?
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

10. - Top - End - #40

Default Boccob... the church.

Zan had to take a seat fro the revelation.

"I have no way to contact them. I can't find out if my church knows anything or not... Boccob certainly won't tell me."

11. - Top - End - #41

Default Matthew, Dravick, Zan are spamming

Spoiler
    Show
    I know you're Dravick!
    I was speaking to both you guys.
    What? Clumsy sentence structure? Me?

To Dravick:
    Well no, but don't you think it's a coincidence? We got attacked, you got attacked. I just figured it's the same bunch of loonies. Matthew shrugs.

To Zan:
    Come on Zan. Pull yourself together. You've got to be a player. If they don't want to know you now, maybe you can use this stuff we know so far to gain access? I don't know how it is with your church but some things are human nature.

12. - Top - End - #42

Default I'm pulling, I'm pulling!

Zan wiped his face, took a few deep breaths, and addressed Matthew. His calm tone seemed to have returned.

"Very well. I will try and see all that I can do. Is there a way to contact the church nearby?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick thinks a moment about what Matthew said, then replies, "No, I don't think it's a conincidence at all. The attacks must have been related. Did your gropu find out anything else besides the cult of the two deranged sisters? If not, will you let me know once they've been interrogated? He is overcome for a split second with the vision of the box exploding into flame. "Or for that matter, if you want some help with the interrogation. As for the matter of a Church of Boccob, I think I might know of one..." he trails off thinking. "Anyway, let me know when you want to go. I'll go with you."

Spoiler
    Show
    "Local Knowledge Check" - (1d20+4)[11]
    Also, a Bardic Knowledge Check for the eschatological cult matthew is talking about. "Bardic Knowledge Check" - (1d20+3)[14]

Current Characters:

14. - Top - End - #44

Default Spam 2

Spoiler
    Show
    So per the recent HQ comment we're putting any die rolls in the main HQ thread.

I didn't realise the church was so secretive, but I guess it makes sense.

Hey, Zan, if you don't mind me asking, how did you come to be part of the church of Boccob? You know I'm not much into that stuff, but I think if I was Boccob would be the one... as deities go he's alright. None of that pretending to care about everything, none of that hype and sanctimonious "religious" nonsense. None of that hypocrisy.

Spoiler
    Show
    chip on shoulder Matthew?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-02-12 at 03:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Shiela walks into the librariy wearing her armor, sword, and purple cloak right around the time Matthew started going off about religion.
    "I had no idea we were using S.P.A.M. to dscussion theology, now." she jokes as she slides inside and pulls up a chair.
    "May I ask inquire as to the current order of business?"
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Shiela walks into the librariy wearing her armor, sword, and purple cloak right around the time Matthew started going off about religion.
    "I had no idea we were using S.P.A.M. to dscussion theology, now." she jokes as she slides inside and pulls up a chair.
    "May I ask inquire as to the current order of business?"
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler
    Show
    did strongoak say he was in Mexico for a few days? I'm just going to say Gylvin and/or Balthazar comes in with Shiela

We were just chatting while we all waited for you Shiela! Matthew grins.

Nah.
    I just didn't want to have to repeat myself but now we're all here....
    I will begin!

Matthew narrates the events of the night that team Adder went down into West Bridgeport to find an assassin and ended up with fifteen burned bodies, half a dozen dead goblins through a portal and a captured young woman with a strange dagger that matches one found on the woman team Cougar captured at the docks.

And here is the dagger. The woman is out in the stable of course but so far we haven't got anything intelligent out of her and frankly I doubt that we will. I think my team is going to this town past Midford to check things out but my hunch is this dagger might relate to something more local.

18. - Top - End - #48

Default Matthew (Human Illusionist)

I'm writing some scrolls tomorrow--- does anyone want one?

Spoiler
    Show

Choice of:
    Disguise Self, Hypnosis, Enlarge Person
    True Strike, Color Spray, Silent Image (the illusion spell)

or from Gylvin / Balthazar:
    Charm Person, Sleep, Magic Missile
    Obscuring Mist, Mage Armor, Shield
    Grease, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall

19. - Top - End - #49

Zan was still thinking about how to respond to Matthew's inquiry of how he came to worship Boccob. About to give an answer, his interest managed to squeak away to the scrolls and he looked over them.

"True strike looks immensely useful to me..."

20. - Top - End - #50

Balthazar shrugs.
    I never liked it personally, but then my spells don't really rely on accuracy.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Oh, Enlarge Person?" Shiela says "That makes me bigger AND stronger, right? Does it work on my weapons, too?"
    Shiela glanes about the room, and immediatly blushes.
    "I know, I know, dunce cap... Shiela smash puny goblinoid? Alternativly, I could inspect that blade a bit."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

22. - Top - End - #52

Zan closed his eyes a few moments, breathed, then looked at Shiela in the nicest manner (which is actually pretty nice, considering his usually passiveness).

"Please stop degrading yourself in that manner. We're all aware that you are rather intelligent, and I for one am impressed." He even smiled a bit. "Though of course, your kobold smashing skills are most likely nothing to scoff at either."

23. - Top - End - #53

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Well I was going to go for spells that are not so obviously useful but might be very useful to have as a back-up. So I'll be taking Disguise Self and Silent Image for myself. I'll be taking the zap-pow spells as my regular memorised spells.

True Strike can be cool though. You can make those "impossible" shoot a thimble off someone's head shots. Maybe shoot through a rope with an arrow or hit someone in the eye? Plus you can shoot with your eyes closed. You just "sense" when and where to shoot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use the force Zan!

I think Enlarge Person is best for grappling. If you want to take someone down fast then ogre-sized grappling does it really well. I mean really well. I bet I could even beat someone like Durx or Fin if I was enlarged. And nobody gets hurt that way too.

Well not much anyway...

So I'll put you down for True Strike Zan and Shiela for Enlarge person.

Oh hey -- I am going to get a raven familiar. They are so cool. I'll be able to teach it neat tricks and it will be able to speak and stuff.

Hmm. I'll have to think of a name for it.

Matthew seems quite excited about this familiar thing!

That makes me bigger AND stronger, right? Does it work on my weapons, too?
    Matthew sees nothing odd about the question.
    I never did get around to giving you a demonstration did I? I was going to but then all that stuff started to happen... Basically yeah the weapons get bigger too but it gets complicated if you start doing things like dropping things that became enlarged with you (they shrink back) so throwing weapons shrink back before they hit and so do things like arrows.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-02-20 at 10:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Zan was happy with both the scroll he was signed for, and the fact that he had managed to avoid the question of Boccob. It wasn't hard to answer, just troublesome and more storytelling....

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler
    Show
    It's pretty easy to distract Matthew by getting him talking / lecturing about something. I'll have to write the scroll in Adder IC so I'll mention when you can grab them.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-02-20 at 11:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]
    I think Enlarge Person is best for grappling. If you want to take someone down fast then ogre-sized grappling does it really well. I mean really well. I bet I could even beat someone like Durx or Fin if I was enlarged. And nobody gets hurt that way too.
    Dream on, m'lord also gives me that spell, and we can agree that I'm much bigger than you. 'n'large pers'n 'sgood for combat to, it makes you stronger, always a good thing to have. Combine it with'a strengh spell and you'll be a juggernaut.

How d'you feel about spontaneous casting? Today I cast'd a cure spell, it had little effect. I replac'd summon monster for it, later that day, a summoned creature would've been useful.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2008-02-21 at 10:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Didn't see you there Durx! Is this your first time at SPAM? I don't think we've had anyone from your team here before. Do you know if anyone on your team could use a Wizard's scroll?

As for spontaneous casting Wizards are generally not able to do it, but I do think there's some merit in leaving a spell slot open, and certainly a cantrip slot open, so that with fifteen minutes notice you can memorise any spell. I think I'm going to go with two combat spells and an open slot for all the miscellaneous stuff. The other day I was at the library and....

Oh yeah this is something else you all might need to know about.

There was an incident at the library when I tried to see about using the place for research. Kyte was along with me and he came across a book that had contact poison on it's pages. It appears that the book was some sort of assassin's primer. This means that an assassin must have been active in Bridgeport recently. The book said to get in touch with the assassins in Midford. All quite suspicious in view of the recent death of the Doge.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Dravick:

There was an incident at the library when I tried to see about using the place for research. Kyte was along with me and he came across a book that had contact poison on it's pages. It appears that the book was some sort of assassin's primer. This means that an assassin must have been active in Bridgeport recently. The book said to get in touch with the assassins in Midford. All quite suspicious in view of the recent death of the Doge.
    Thinking about everything that has happened so far, with the guild suffering attacks and the assassination of the Doge, Dravick wonders if the events aren't unconnected.
    "Attacks on the Guild, strange cults, unique matching daggers, the possible assasination of the Doge, poison in the library... Could it be connected somehow? If so, then how do all of these pieces fit together? If they are all related, we're probably in over our heads..." Dravick mused alound. He paced around the room slowly with his right arm across his chest and his left arm across it, his chin resting in his left hand. He seemed perplexed and thoughtful. Then without any warning he said, "No. There'd be no way for all of these things to be related. The attacks on the guild are one thing. The poison and the possible assassination of the doge is another. I mean, how lucky would we have to be for one of our members to literally stumble upon another set of clues to the same problem." Seeming pleased by his reasoning he says to the group, as if he just realized they were still in the same room, "I feel a bit out of sorts with SPAM, being a caster of a different sort, but I'd like to offer my services as the SPAM scribe. That way, we can try to keep our meetings organized and have a record of the things we talk about..."

Current Characters:

29. - Top - End - #59

Default Not connected?

Zan looked at Dravick.

"As much as I admire the thought you pour into your reasoning, explained by the pauses..." He himself had a little trouble speaking, because he felt as though he were being watched by the others, and he was nervous as it was anyhow. "Um... well, shortly, there is still the very much alive possibility that these things are indeed connected. We can't forget that. Maybe the attacks were designed to distract us long enough to prevent the death of this Doge...."

It doesn't feel nice to fail, either. And that's how I feel. Maybe it's how the others feel... being helpless to save somebody to the point where you didn't even know they were dead or in danger until it was too late.

30. - Top - End - #60

Default moving time on again!

Well it's getting late. I suggest we meet again tomorrow evening.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving time on until after the following events:

Interrogation of Kesha by team Adder.
    Kidnapping of Kata by the turncoat Finde (team Dingo).
    Team Badger's trip to West Bridgeport.
    Announcement that the teams will be sent out by Bruce.
    Possibly some of the interrogation of Verona by team Cougar.
    Possibly Matthew has his new familiar the as yet unnamed raven.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-03-01 at 12:53 AM.