New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Game of Future and Space

Daggit floats around the ship, glaring darkly around and muttering to himself (or to Daisy, it's hard to tell). Every few minutes he stops glaring at the world around him and starts glaring at the gash in his knee. He seems to be doing a poor job of restraining himself from poking at it.

Bah, computers and ships and no gravity. And the only wench on board is old enough to be my brother's mother. Wait, that doesn't seem quite right. I need a drink, or several.

He seems to be becoming more restless and irritated by the minute.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Frak this. I'm going for a walk. There was nothing in the ship that looked at all helpful, and staring into hard space always left him feeling better for some reason. Maybe I'll see the leak while I do.

He went to the computer room first, though, just to make sure there was absolutely nothing he could recover. If they'd lost the computer core the ship could be crippled.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+5)[20] for Repair, I guess, since the computers are offline and they're pretty damaged. Just trying to pull out/save any hard drives or data-storing equivalent left behind.

Then Tal went to the airlocks, pulled out one of the fresh space suits, and began to put it on.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

"Hey, Fortinbras? I need that camera."
    Last edited by !rorak; 2008-02-17 at 01:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

All right. What do you need it for? Fortinbras doesn't get the camera out yet, in case this person has some idea that will definitely get it broken.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm going for a walk outside. It's got pictures on it that I think are of the outer hull surfaces that've leaked before."

6. - Top - End - #216

Why should we care about hull leaks right now? It's obvious the atmosphere in here is not venting, so shouldn't we go get this 'Valve 3' back working? Somehow I doubt they'll put important emergency valves on the outside of the ship..

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Tal'vere just stared at the bloody surfacer for a few moments.

"Uh. Fortinbras, if this ship is venting atmosphere, it's got to run out of air sometime. And it is leaking, just in case you missed the flashing red lights and the alarm bells. In fact, so far we've run into a ton of rooms that have all vented atmo, all disconnected from each other as far as we know, so they must have vented separately. We don't know where's going to vent next. It could be this room for all we know. What were you going to do with a digital camera anyway?" When he'd finished, Tal'vere exhaled sharply, a little shocked at himself. That had been a pretty major speech, for him. I'll be a frakking politician next.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

After fiddling with the nito patches to no success, Granny shoves them back into their box in a frustrated fashion, putting them back where she found them.

Pish, I don't need any fancy patches to get my explosives... I'll do it the old fashioned way.

"You see dearie, back in my day we had to walk through a hard vacuum to get our reagents, with solar radiation, both ways!" Granny nods to herself, happy that she passed one of her pearls of wisdom to the younger generation; Momentarily forgetting her defeat at the nitro patches.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Yeah yeah. And you got water by breathing on sn... Reagents? What are you talking about?"

David stands uneasily in the room, slowly inching his way towards the door.

OH I SEE!! She's not senile, she's crazy! This day could get better any time now...

10. - Top - End - #220
    Barbarian in the Playground

Although the computer seems crippled beyond repair, Tal'vere does find a large unit for the backup of files. Judging by its size, it could potentially be a complete backup of the computer's memory.

Everyone hears a noise, a low, pulsing rumble.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

David bolts out of the room, without waiting for Granny's response.

"Please don't touch anything else in here, okay?" He says as he pushes himself out the door.

I think that I'll be trying out that last door in the shaft. Maybe these sounds are coming from there.

David heads up the upwards shaft to the unopened pressure door and tries to open it.

12. - Top - End - #222

The middle pressure door is locked. The little lights on the control panel blink at David mockingly.

13. - Top - End - #223

At the rumbling sound, Fortinbras hesitates and looks nervous. What do you think that low, pulsing rumbling is? Doesn't sound good.. Unless it's the engine starting to work? Fortinbras says hopefully. He takes the camera out of his backpack and hands it to Tal.

Maybe we should call the others and ask if one of them got the engine back online.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

"Dunno. Doubt it's anything good, and I really, really doubt any of them have enough experience in machines to get the engines back online. 'Specially since the cockpit controls are offline and there's no direct way to steer. Could be boarders. Could be we missed some really messed-up piece of machinery on this frakking derelict and it's about to blow. Like I said, I dunno." Tal found he was surprisingly calm. Guess I'm out of fear for the day.

At least I suddenly realized the computer's okay, though. Tal'vere turned back to Fortinbras. "Listen. You know what? You can keep the digital camera. But I want to borrow that card computer again. The memory in the computer core was okay, and I need some way of reading it. That computer's it. All right?"

Tal'vere headed for the computer room. As he did, he thought back to the possibly-irreparable damage he'd seen and wondered.

Spoiler
    Show

Need to know some things.
    a) Will Tal be able to access the memory using the card computer without having to reactivate the cooling system, or would the memory storage overheat?
    b) Since the processing power is apparently trashed, would it be possible to link up the terminals Tal and the others have been finding and build a computer with just enough memory and juice to be able to handle even the most minimal things the ship computer would normally handle, eg would Tal be able to rebuild a ship computer and then wire it into the cockpit terminals so that he can read sensors and do some VERY simple piloting/navigation?

I want to do the memory-core access the moment Fortinbras passes over the computer, but the computer rebuild can wait until the next post.

I guess the first one is a Use Computer check, and the next is a Repair check.
    (d20+5)[16]
    (d20+5)[20]

"Oh, and uh. Just in case it is boarders. Can you go collect the others and make sure we all know where everybody is? Try and collect Daggit, go get him to the others. You probably want to stay around David and Daggit if you want to stay alive much. If it is boarders." Tal'vere had reached the room. He turned away from Fortinbras and his voice faded down to a mutter while he looked at the computers and thought it over. "Probably not boarders."
    Last edited by !rorak; 2008-02-19 at 09:58 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

David floats through the ship, looking for Daggit.

Why is it that every time I get to a door, it's locked? I'd have thought that whoever the hell that guy was would have spent more time trying to stay alive than lock all these freaking doors

Spoiler
    Show
    search = 0
    listen = +3 [OOC] Listening for daggit swearing at things etc.[/OOC]
    spot = +6

16. - Top - End - #226

Tal'vere knows that the cooling was only needed for the massive processors; The tower of storage drives should work fine without coolant. As for constructing a rudimentary computer to steer the ship, he will first have to find the navigational instruments and propulsion devices. It may just work, but a lot will depend on how much external computing power they each require.

David quickly finds an irate Daggit floating around on the third deck, muttering to his massive chainsaw about booze, knees, and gravity.

The low rumbling noise suddenly diminishes in volume until it has completely died out.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Tal'vere realized suddenly that he was also wondering whether he would be able to look over sensor data on the ship using the same principle, relying on sensors such as whatever radar equivalent the ship had as well as possible others that would keep tabs on airlocks, hull breaches and the like.

18. - Top - End - #228

Tal'vere figures that this ship probably has computerized systems for monitoring airlocks and hull breaches. These and any other such systems on board could theoretically be operated using an improvised computer, given that such a computer was powerful enough and programmed correctly. At this point, however, there is no way of knowing for sure.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Daggit! Just the person I was looking for! I need a door opened. D'you think you could be of any assistance?"

David starts back towards the locked pressure door, motioning for Daggit to follow him.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Halfling in the Playground

Daggit glares at David and doesn't cease his muttering. He does follow him however, and Daisy revs threatingly.

21. - Top - End - #231

Angry at being treated so rudely, like a common laborer! Fortinbras leaves Tal to stride off into the computer room alone, and instead heads to find the others. I'm not letting some common thug fiddle with my computer, he probably would damage it. The first he comes upon are Daggit and David, discussing a closed door in the shaft.
    Hey, did either of you get the engine online? Or know what that rumbling was?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

"...Huh. Yeah, this could work. I think I could actually manage to--what...? Fortinbras?" Tal'vere looked around. The man had left. Oh well. Hopefully he'll go find the others, do something useful around here. Meantime, maybe I can get a computer together. Might need the coolant back on for the computers first, but still...

Spoiler
    Show
    I want to know exactly what I would need to jury-rig a computer system together out of the terminals I've found lying around. How many intact terminals I would need to take apart and rebuild, whether there are enough power cords--or whatever futuristic cool analogue there is around here-- around that I can just plug it in using a source already in the room, whether it would generate enough heat that I would need to plug in the coolant system somehow, etc. A whole inventory so that I can go gather the parts and build it.

I already passed a check for determining whether this is possible and I'm wondering whether I need to roll another check for inventory or whether I already have a design lined up in my head from the previous roll. Just in case I need to roll again...

(d20+5)[6] for Craft Electronic device.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"No. We're just about to open this door. Seems like the sound was coming from there, so we've decided to investigate"

David moves away from the door, so Daggit has a clear shot at it with Daisy.

24. - Top - End - #234

Umm. Umm. Umm. Fortinbras says nervously. Maybe instead of sawing up more of the ship than we have to, I could just try using my computer to open it.
    Fortinbras approaches the door and tries to get it to open like he had previously seen Tal do.
    [spoiler]Use Computer - (1d20+6)[22]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kids these days, always in a rush.

Granny pulls out her knitting supplies and begins to construct a sweater.

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Clcik Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click
    Last edited by Gowron; 2008-02-22 at 12:18 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Tal realizes that although he still does not know how much computing power the ship's systems need, he probably won't be able to build something powerful enough out of the small systems he has found about the ship. None of them would contain nearly enough of the required parts for what he wishes to build.

Fortinbras opens up the door's control panel and manages to connect it to his card computer. After a few minutes, he is able to command a forced opening of the door. With a click and a hum, the door opens to reveal a dull metal passageway that immediately turns to the right and continues that way.

With stunning speed, Granny creates a warm and aesthetically pleasing sweater.

The low rumbling sound begins again.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

Eugh. I'll go see what the others are doing. Tal'vere floated his way back to the group and arrived in time to see Fortinbras making a few careful manipulations to the door leading into deck 2 with his card computer. The surfacer looked at the door, expectantly, and it suddenly swung open.

Well. Guess he's not entirely useless. Tal'vere moved down into the corridor, behind the others. Suddenly the whole world began to shake again. A shade nervously, Tal pulled out his gun and covered the corridor beyond.
    Last edited by !rorak; 2008-02-22 at 08:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

With his pistol ready, Tal'vere floats slowly through the open door. This hallway goes straight to the right for about 40 feet. At the end, he can see a door to the right and another passageway to the left.

The deep, vibrating sound continues.

29. - Top - End - #239

Fortinbras gives a small stare at the pistol in Tal's hand.
    You.. You think we're going to be needing that? he asks hesitantly. He follows, but is sure to be about ten feet behind.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

The rumbling seemed to fill Tal's skull. "David, I'm going to go check the right. Mrs. Treadsworth, could you help me with that? In the meantime, David, you and Daggit can check the left so we can't get flan..." Tal'vere trailed off, realizing abruptly that he was treating the situation as if there were hostiles, and, worse, that his heart was pounding. You're letting this whole ship get to your head. Stay frosty. He slowed his breathing. "I mean, or you and Daggit could come help us with the right. Whatever. Fortinbras--" Tal hazarded a glance back and saw that Fortinbras was hanging back, with something close to fear on his face. "You can hang back here, or something. We'll call you if we need you. Is everyone okay with that?"
    Last edited by !rorak; 2008-02-25 at 08:00 PM.