New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LitD [IC]

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: LitD [IC]

"I do think we should pay more attention to th details of this find but it would be nice to move on." Glade is very nervous about being here. "The faster we move and learn about our surroundings the faster we might be able to leave this place."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Markus

Markus closes his fingers around the gem and puts it in a pouch on his belt.

I agree. Perhaps one of us is skilled in the magical arts and can delve if there is anything about this gem that escapes normal sight.

With that, Markus makes towards the entrance of the chamber following Thoric.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Are you all continuing to follow the wall on your left?
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Markus

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm following the dwarf for now, so ask him...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe that we were continuing on in the direction we were originally going
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fethen

Remind me before we rest this evening, I will examine it more closely. Fethen says as he walks along. He is intent on examining everything. He makes notes and anotations every few feet in his notebook, not stopping to do so but on the move.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Yes I do Believe, I did state that was my intended direction.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thornvile Visit my City, and get your own started.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

As you proceed To follow the wall you notice that it continues to jut in and out causing small depressions in it's surface. Most of the small alcoves it creates are far too small to explore and even more are too shallow to warrant even a cursory examination. A few dozen feet further on you do discover a small 5ft depression with several shallow depressions dissappearing into the wall just large enough for an arm to fit snugly into the opening one of you could reach into the hole if you were so inclined. Other than that there is little worth notice in the room save a few scuff marks on the floor.

After continuing onwards for another 35 ft following the wall closely you notice another small alcove. this one stretches back 10-15ft and is 5ft wide at its widest points. It is a tight fit but could be explored more closely as well. All in all most of the wall is unremarkable except for the small outcroppings, overhangs, and the two alcoves.

(Go ahead and interact with either room or each other as you see fit.)
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Having followed the group and then while searching taking a bit of a lead in the search. Came out of the first room. "I found this ring I feel as though it reminds me of something but I just can't quite place it. I am going to search the second alcove."

"There is evidence that we are not alone down here there are char marks which could have been from a fire, wood and cloth laying around not to mention little fleas that seem to like my taste." Glade rubs some bites on his arm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Markus

Markus observes his three companions as they search both alcoves from the entrance, pondering the gem and their situation. He listens to Glade as he comes out of the second alcove, then replies:

Well, I must say, back where the statues were, I noticed a pattern on the floor which reminds me of something I read once, about the Githzerai or the Githyanki, I'm not sure which. He looks at the gem once again before pocketing it. He waits until all three of them are out of the alcoves and then looks around.

I don't know if we're alone here or not, but I feel confident that this cave is not entirely natural. How about those holes on the wall of the first alcove? Maybe there's a mechanism to open some kind of door inside...

11. - Top - End - #71

Fethen

Fethen examines the ring and hands it back. Let me think on it for a while, it does remind me of something I saw in my notes a while back. He looks to Markus and says Entirely possible, do you want to return there and examine those further?

Spoiler
    Show

Checks for the ring
    Spellcraft (1d20+11)[18] +/-2 depending on school
    K: Arcana (1d20+18)[27]
    K: Religion (1d20+9)[26]
    K: Planes (1d20+9)[25]
    Appraise (1d20+4)[17]
    Many of the above may be useless but it never hurts to try.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thoric looks none impressed about having to go back to the statue room.. 'I think its best if we keep moving forward for now, get a better sense of where we are. Since this appears to be a underground structure of some type, I think we may end up back there sooner than we think. Or if you want to head back atleast lats take a little different path.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Fethen

Let us keep exploring we can always back track later. I would like to know the shape of this area and all of its exits, it any before we leave it. Anything can be a clue as to how to leave this place and break the magics of it.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

As the group sets out once again, you have the feeling that your direction has changed slightly... The walls seems to have curved more or less back towards where you have come from and althought it is difficult to discern directions deep within the earth it seems unusual all the same.

As you continue along the wall you come upon yet another opening. This one larger than the others and a putrid stench rising from within it speaks of refuse or possibly worse contents.

(Anyone who wants to go near/ into the opening needs to make a fort save dc:18 or vomit and be sickened)
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ugh, That smell is horrible but the only way to learn more about ths place is to continue forwards."

Bringing his left arm up to his face trying to block the stench Glade moves towards the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort= (1d20+5)[19]

that has the -1 in it
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

As glade moves further into the entrance of the room you can hear wet slooshing noises as whatever is covering the floor sucks to his feet. The smell is coming from the goop on the ground, walls, cieling... pretty much everything in the room is covered with the stuff. A thick sludge that resembles raw sewage but smells much, much worse. You can see what appear to be bones and other large pieces of refuse sticking up out of the much scattered about the room. Some of the larger pieces seem to be scraps of wood and metal resembling discarded armor, weapons, and even some furniture.

Whatever this place is it almost reminds you of a dump with all the odds and ends you can see scattered around the room.

(Reflex save please EloquentRune DC:25)

As (Insert character name here) enters the cave he begins to have more and more trouble with his footing until eventually he is swallowed upto his midsection in the "crap" covering the floor. You do however find a staff while wading around in the muck and grime.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-02-09 at 12:12 PM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

17. - Top - End - #77

Fethen

Fethen does not enter the area unless necessary. He instead sits on his pack and takes a moment to flip through his spell book and then begin sketching again. He does bring out a hankerchief which he ties around his face and rolls up his sleeves, waiting for the others to return so he can clean them with some minor magics.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Markus

When he hears the sound of Glade's footsteps, Markus advances behind him, leans in closer, and examines the muck that covers the surfaces of the room (without wading into it).

Spoiler
    Show

fort - (1d20+3)[20]
    K:dungeoneering - (1d20+6)[10]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glade

Spoiler
    Show
    oh yeah totally walked into that one

As Glade wades through the muck and is swallowed to the waist he mutters to himself... "Why do I always go forwards without question?"

"Please tell me one of you has some rope. I'm stuck in this horrible mess but seem to have found a staff of some sort."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

20. - Top - End - #80

Fethen

Fethen looks up and digs in his pack for a moment before hauling out a coil of rope. Holding one end he tosses the other end to Glade. See if you can get a sample of that nesty stuff for me, eh?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glade

Heh. I really don't think that is going to be a problem. Glade grabs the rope and tries to pull himself out

Spoiler
    Show
    Str Check (1d20+1)[17]
    Last edited by EloquentRune; 2008-02-11 at 08:39 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thoric

Looking at whats happening infront of him, Thoric says, Yea might need a little muscle there, as he grabs the rope to help Fethen plull Glade out.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

As you all try to pull Glade out of the muck you can see slight ripples and movement on the surface of the muck and refuse. (If you passed your spot) The muck seems to be all manner of debris and refuse ranging from table scraps to furniture and the stench confirms that most of it has decayed. As you all struggle mightily to free Glade and are about to do so large stalks can be seen rising above the muck. The appendages appear large and have spiney barbs protruding from a leaf-like appendage at the very end of the stalks.

The creature surges forwards and raising itself above the muck and refuse that surrounds it. It stops 5 feet from Glade and opening it's mouth wide bearing all its teeth it lets out a very fetid breath of air and waits...

Spoiler
    Show

(fort save dc: 10 or sickened from the breath, DC 20 Knowledge to know it is an Otyugh. 20+ will reveal more information.)

Check the map ooc for more information. It will be updated once combat starts with everyone's actual positions.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

24. - Top - End - #84

Fethen

Fethen's head snaps up as the beast lumbers forth An otyugh, a filth beast! Fascinating. But I think it is also hostile. Dropping his crossbow to hand from its cord he snaps off a quick spell that launches a green orb at the thing.

Spoiler
    Show

Lesser Orb of Acid
    To Hit - Ranged Touch Attack - (1d20+5)[7](12)
    Acid Damage (3d8)[16]
    No Save

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Even as Fethen completes his spell launching the acid orb the rest of his mind and his subconcious does some quick math... "If the creature can move at a rate of 30ft... and it was 20 ft away. Assuming it moved twice it might have still been able to attack... however the terrain we find to be difficult might not necessarily be so for a creature of it's size... which would mean it could have attacked and yet didn't. It might not have been hostile after all..."
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-02-11 at 02:24 PM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Markus

Markus leans back against the edge of the entrance when the creature rises, looking from Glade to the beast and back to the elf as he clings to the rope. Things happen to quickly for him to do anything else as Fethen hurls his magic at the creature.

Markus waits, his mind already going through the convoluted pathways that will unleash his brutal assault on the creature's mind...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glade

Glade noticing that the creature has not attacked him even though he is so close moves back 5ft and then ties to him tries to calm the creature using his natural empathy with beasts.

Realizing that that won't work right off Glade holds his says a simple incantation and the glowing quarterstaff glows a different shade for a moment and then looks as if it hadn't changed
    Spoiler
    Show
    I cast shillelagh on my quarterstaff takes a standard action I wont move but I did use a 5 ft step
    Last edited by EloquentRune; 2008-02-13 at 01:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thoric

As Thoric rushes to the defense of Glade, he comments Yea be a right ugly bugger, arn't yea. Then takes a might swing with his waraxe.
    My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

The creature sitting on it's heap of garbage mere inches from Glade screams as the orb of acid splatters against it's strange hide causing it to scream horribly. The scream barely starts as it is interupted by the stury form of Thoric swinging a mighty axe into the creature (reflex save dc 10 Thoric) The blow connects solidly and the creature continues to scream with renewed volume and vigor. As the creature moves back into the refuge of it's garbage mound (aoo from Thoric if he passes his reflex save) It lashes out at Thoric with all the strength it can muster.

Spoiler
    Show

Tentacle1 - (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage1 - (1d6+4)[8]
    Grapple1 - (1d20+8)[28]
    Constrict1 - (1d6)[1]
    If sucessful grappled

Tentacle2 - (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage2 - (1d6+4)[8]
    Grapple2 - (1d20+8)[27]
    Constrict2 - (1d6)[6]
    If sucessful Pinned

If either grapple is sucessful
    Bite - (1d20-2)[1]
    BiteDamage - (1d4)[1]

If bite hits and damages Fort save DC:14
    DEX (1d3)[1]
    CON (1d3)[1]
    INCUBATION (1d3)[3]

OTYUGH2 (1d20)[4]
    OTYUGH3 (1d20)[7]

As the creature lashes out at Thoric it reels as though slamed by some invisible force letting go of the dwarf and his armor immediately dropping him to the ground. Thoric lands gently (for a dwarf) with a loud crash on his feet and readies himself for another bout with the creature as two more forms rise out of the refuse and debris flanking the Otyugh that is already visible.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2008-02-15 at 09:00 AM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

30. - Top - End - #90

Fethen

Fethen watches the action as the otyugh backs away and others rise to assist in the fight. He backs away and to the side of the action clearing himself from the melee but keeping line of sight. He then begins to cast again a greyish blob shooting out from his outstretched finger. The blob explodes behind the center Otyugh capturing all three in sticky webs. A few whispy strands catch Thoric but do not hinder him.

Spoiler
    Show

Move back 20 ft and to the side a little, giving myself room to manuever if one of them rushes.

Cast Web (20 ft radius burst) centered so that it will catch all 3 Otyughs.
    Reflex save DC 16 Duration 60 minutes

Spoiler
    Show

From the SRD -
    Web
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Effect: Webs in a 20-ft.-radius spread
    Duration: 10 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text
    Spell Resistance: No
    Web creates a many-layered mass of strong, sticky strands. These strands trap those caught in them. The strands are similar to spider webs but far larger and tougher. These masses must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else the web collapses upon itself and disappears. Creatures caught within a web become entangled among the gluey fibers. Attacking a creature in a web won’t cause you to become entangled.
    Anyone in the effect’s area when the spell is cast must make a Reflex save. If this save succeeds, the creature is entangled, but not prevented from moving, though moving is more difficult than normal for being entangled (see below). If the save fails, the creature is entangled and can’t move from its space, but can break loose by spending 1 round and making a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 25 Escape Artist check. Once loose (either by making the initial Reflex save or a later Strength check or Escape Artist check), a creature remains entangled, but may move through the web very slowly. Each round devoted to moving allows the creature to make a new Strength check or Escape Artist check. The creature moves 5 feet for each full 5 points by which the check result exceeds 10.
    If you have at least 5 feet of web between you and an opponent, it provides cover. If you have at least 20 feet of web between you, it provides total cover.
    The strands of a web spell are flammable. A magic flaming sword can slash them away as easily as a hand brushes away cobwebs. Any fire can set the webs alight and burn away 5 square feet in 1 round. All creatures within flaming webs take 2d4 points of fire damage from the flames.
    Web can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent web that is damaged (but not destroyed) regrows in 10 minutes.
    Material Component: A bit of spider web.

If one of them does come near him Abrupt Jaunt 10ft away at a diagonal, as an immediate action.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-02-15 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Fixing spoiler