New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: France: Waltz of Dust

Alicia

"I believe I am," Alicia decides after considering the matter for a moment. "An intriguing point, Brother Guillaume. I wonder if that means a good many people may be more spiritual than they know?" She quirks a smile.

"I am afraid I did not get your names, fathers?" she asks, turning slightly towards the other two priests.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

After seeing Annabelle slip inside the apartment, Riq turns and begins to pretend to admire the artwork adorning the walls. He--like all great lovers--is used to this part of the game and--like all great lovers--despises it. A man of action, the Rose Knight does not like to be kept waiting, but there are times when a lover has no choice and so Riq endures the wait as patiently as he can.

As he waits, a hint of what--in lesser men--could be called fear trickled through Riq's mind. Could the girl be on to me? No, nonsense. I have her wrapped around my fingers.

Stroking his rapier's well-worn hilt almost subconsciously, Riq smiles. Still, even if she is, I'm far from helpless. This dance shall continue, in one form or another.
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A Gathering of Priests and Rogues

Renaldo laughs at Alicia's remark. But does that mean that some dutiful men of God are therefore less so? He looks at Louis.

What, I? I enjoy a party as much as anyone, he says with no hint of enjoyment.

Upstairs, Where Nobody is Taking Tea Any More

A minute or so passes, then Anabelle emerges from the room, trailed by Otto.

And she said she had the most fascinating story about Lady Marie that concerned you specifically.

Well, that does sound interesting, doesn't it? Spying the Rose Knight, he looks a bit surprised. Oh, hello Riq. Admiring the artwork, I see. Have you been to the gallery yet?

Anabelle sends a wide-eyed look his way, as if to say "You were supposed to hide!"
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-21 at 11:53 AM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"No, not yet. I'd like to, but I never seem to find the time. I confess though, I had less admirable goals for admiring the art here. I was hoping to catch Annabelle for another dance.

Still, it appears that she is taking you somewhere and it would be most rude to intrude. My apologies, sir."

The Rose Knight bows and heads down a separate hallway, waiting for Otto and Annabelle to continue on their way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (d20+11)[13]

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Art of Bluffing

Otto gives Riq a funny look, then his eyes drift up and to the right, as if trying to recall some forgotten memory, or doing his times tables. This does not last long, however.

She is a charming creature. I'm sure there will be plenty of time for dancing later, he says.

Oh, both of you flatter me too much...

They head away, but Otto does give one last glance over his shoulder as they dissapear from sight.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-21 at 03:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

After waiting a good minute to ensure that Otta truly was gone, Riq dashes to Elaina's door and imitates Annabelle's double knock. The dice are have been rolled. I pray Annabelle has not misled me.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In the Lady's Chambers

The door opens and Elaina, though a little surprsied, smiles at the young fop.

Oh, Riq, you're back again. What an interesting night this has become, she says, amused.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-23 at 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"Ah, my Lady. How could I hope to stay away? A man enspelled as I can no longer take any pleasure in dance, nor food, nor drink. The festive atmosphere is gone. It is instead oppressive, drearily sapping my strength and life while my love, my life!, is away in her apartments with her cousin. It is a dreadful fate you had left me to, Lady."

Eyes twinkling as he grins at her, Riq slips into the room,

"Or at least, I believe that's the appropriate response? The sort of thing one of your countless dull suitors would say?

Well, I'm afraid it's not quite true."

Riq struts over to the wine in her room and pours offers Elaina a glass. Regardless of her response, he pours one for himself and begins pace, explaining his reappearance.

"No, Lady, I was not dying, though I was eager to see you again. You are very pretty and far more intelligent than the average Parisian. Believe you me, that intelligence is devilishly attractive.

Draining the goblet, as if to calm his nerves--not that the Rose Knight actually would have to calm his nerves--Kelborn strives boldly onwards.

"You see Lady, while I would much rather be here merely for the inexpressible pleasure of your company, I am instead here praying you are able to, as Annabelle promised, save my life. While she and I awaited Otto and your return in the rose garden, I was approached by a 'friend' of mine. A contact in the war department, he told me somehow they had found out I was gathering information and preparing to depart for my home.

Obviously, I have to leave soon but men are watching. Annabelle--who I had sent away--listened in and promised me you could help.

Crossing over to Elaina, Riq takes her hand and kneels,

"You are my only hope, Lady. My life is in your hands."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (d20+11)[23]
    Diplomacy (d20+13)[24]

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In the Confused Lady's Chambers

Elaina looks concerned, but very confused. She clearly was not expecting the conversation to go this way.

Riq, Riq, please slow down. What on Earth are you talking about? What is this- gathering information, a friend from the War Ministry? I'm sure I'll do all I can to help you, but please do explain!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Alicia

"Oh, but you aren't enjoying this one, Brother," Alicia says mock-sternly, humor fading to sympathy and curiousity as she continues. "Why ever not? Is something wrong?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Riq Kelborn

"I apologize, Lady. I will explain all. From the beginning, I suppose.

Before launching into his explanation, Riq takes a deep breath as if to gather his thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (d20+8)[17]

This is getting tense, eh?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Sadly, not all are able to unburden their souls for such a celebration. But I encourage all of us to "gather ye rosebuds while we may", in the words of that, er, rather profane poet.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

The false madame shrugs. On the thought of not enjoying the party, do you know where Patrice went, Brother Guillaume? I should think he has found someone to talk to about theology until they perished from confusion, or failing that a corner to sulk in about having no one to argue with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A Gathering of Priests and Rogues

Louis looks about to say something than stops. He points a finger at Guillaume and opens his mouth, then sputters and stops again. He casts a glance around the ballroom and looks back at the people at his table, then he looks at disguised Patrice and seems about to speak again, but again does not.

Finally, he stands up and walks away from the table.

Louis? Renaldo calls after him.

The ugly priest calls back some unintelligable phrase that may be an obscenity, then contines.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

For a few seconds, Guillaume stares at Louis's back. Guillaume's voice is low, and although his face registers amusement, his voice does not.

Saints preserve us.

He turns back to Annabelle with a fresh smile.

And you, Mesdames.

As if as an afterthought, Guillaume looks sidelong at the disguised Patrice.

I'm afraid that I've lost track of Brother Patrice. Should we go look for him?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

16. - Top - End - #286

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

The so called Madame Seraphine affects looking surprised. Does he always act in such a manner? Without waiting for an answer, the disguised priest stands We'll, I am afraid that his rude manner has quite put me off for a bit. If you'll excuse me, I am going to help look for Patrice. Thank you for your time and company Renaldo, it was most pleasant. And to you, Mademoiselle.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-04-24 at 03:11 PM.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Excellent. I seem to recall he has a fondness for seafood. Perhaps over by the tables of food in the other chamber?

He offers his arm to the "lady". When they are around a corner, he leans in close to whisper:

I have been into the Father's chambers. He has something in a box in his chamber that makes him very nervous - the key around his neck. But he no longer trusts me at all, unfortunately.

18. - Top - End - #288

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Merde. We'll have to either force our way in, or trick him out. I don't trust my disguise very far; I've been having close calls with disguises all evening, and it is sheer luck I haven't been found out yet.
    As soon as they are out of sight of partygoers, Patrice drops his concealing magic. I don't want to leave any stones unturned. We must figure out what he has and how much he and Louis suspect. Renaldo is good natured, and if I read him right, it would take us firing a musket under his nose before he would suspect something was amiss.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Nodding sympathetically, Guillaume ponders for a moment.

Perhaps Renaldo is our remaining lever, then. Louis is openly hostile, and unless he can be manipulated into some kind of open action that can be seen to be misguided, there's not much more to be gained there. But if Renaldo can be convinced to draw Noailles out of his room - perhaps to deal with Louis' surliness?

20. - Top - End - #290

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

Excellent idea. But what shall we say to Renaldo that.... Ah, ha. We need one of our Duelists.
    The priest begins to walk in tight turns, pacing with excitement. If one of them is willing to talk to Renaldo, and say that Louis is dangerously close to provoking a challenge, he will take it to Father de Noialles. They'll be tied up downstairs with any favor from above at all, and we can take a quick peek in the box.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

Yes! One of our courtiers would be perfect. And I can certainly keep watch outside de Noailles' room, but I'm afraid I have no facility with, ah, boxes. You?

22. - Top - End - #292

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

...Good point. I should think that I would have to resort to breaking it, and that would tip him off right away.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Guillaume

And, since we don't know the contents of the box, that may be a very bad idea.

Which might suggest trying to get the key from around his neck. Won't be easy, to say the least.

24. - Top - End - #294

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Patrice

We'd have to get it while he was asleep or assault him and hope he doesn't recognize us.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Alicia

The noblewoman looks rather surprised at the priest's behavior, covering it well and looking between the retreating Louis and Guillaume. "Ah, you know him," she'd said as the older woman and the priest get up to leave. "Would you let me know if you see him? I was rather hoping to meet him when I found you," she added as they moved off.

Her eyes linger on the two for a moment, then she turns back to the one remaining person at the table. "Well. I'm sorry I seem to have driven off your companions, good Brother. Tell me—er—do they not get along?" she asks, making a show of hesitancy at inquiring about a priest behind his back.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

At the Table

Renaldo sighs. To be honest, Louis doesn't get along with much of anybody. Sometimes I worry about him, but this behavior his highly unusual. I don't think I should discuss this with you, but some strange events are happening at this party and I am worried.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Alicia

"Strange?" she asks, keeping a look of polite interest while her thoughts drift elsewhere. Don't get too distracted, Alice, however unusual these priests are. Where is he? "It isn't anything dangerous, I hope?"

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

At the Table

Oh, I should think not. Nothing you need be worried about. He looks around the room a bit, then at his fingernails. So, do you dance? That is to say, would you like to dance?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The_Werebear View Post
    Patrice

We'd have to get it while he was asleep or assault him and hope he doesn't recognize us.
    Brother Guillaume sighs and nods.

I suppose. Unless one of our companions has a gift for locks. Perhaps the good doctor? I haven't seen him around in hours.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Alicia

"Mmm? Oh—certainly!" Alicia answers, apparently drawn out of some thought by his question. "I confess I'd been rather hoping to be asked when I sat, but I wasn't sure if priests danced," she confides with a smile, rising. "Hopefully it will take your mind off your worries for a little while."