New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Shook Up

1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: All Shook Up

Gaara

Checking the loads on his four hand crossbows, Gaara warily steps through the gate.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thorkild, Itaravap, and Poag
    Poag mounts Tiayan and proceeds to enter the gate, flanked left and right by Thorkild and Itaravap respectively.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-03-06 at 02:42 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

With the gate open, Zaon proceeds to enter it with his wings folded, taking on a more gemlike character. As he steps through, a large shadow which seems to be filled with multiple variations of darkness encompasses him and joins him through the gate. This darkness sinks back in the ground once more when he has passed through the gate. Following him through the gate are an Emerald Wyrm Dragon and a Sapphire Wyrm Dragon.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you all step through the gate, the massive complex of Mechanus appears.

Giant cogs ranging in size from a few feet in diameter to the size of cities and countries are interlocked in a complicated formation in every direction. Buildings spring from the larger cogs, even on those that are upside down or sideways relative to you.

The particular cog you have arrived on seems to be about the size of a medium sized city, and at it's center is a small town of about thirty buildings or so.
    And I am OUT.

How many signatures would a Tim have if a Tim could have a signature? Answer? None yet.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Having stepped through the gate with his minions, Zaon overlooks the scenery having unfold before their group. He frowns a little, but then shrugs. Looking before him, she sees the town, but wonders. "It is there?" Rings his question through the other's minds. It seems curious that something of such importance would be there. But it could just as well be, he would not know. Hence the question.

6. - Top - End - #36

Thorkild
    I suppose all we can do is go and take a look, maybe ask around, unless one of you can determine that from here. Without waiting for a response, the large human begins walking toward the small town.

Itaravap
    A good idea, but I think I'll leave the talking to you, Thorkild. I will follow in the air, but be assured I will be ready to help if there is trouble. I need to spread my wings a bit anyway. With that, he spreads his wings and takes to the air, flying in lazy patterns that roughly follow Thorkild's steps.

Poag

What he said. Halfling and dragon take to the skies, flying in much more impressive and sweeping patterns but still heading roughly towards the center of town.

Thorkild
    Once the two have left earshot, Thorkild says quietly, almost to himself Probably for the best. They are my friends, but no people skills.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for taking so long
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Gaara

Gaara stands there quietly, looking around at the wonders of Mechanus. After a moment, he follows along beside Thorkild. "We should seek a place of knowledge... there must be some sort of main City on this plane... after all, It IS the plane of order."

8. - Top - End - #38

Devil

Vayne

"Do I gotta do everything?" Vayne looks rather annoyed and fiddles with his hat, suddenly appearing as a normal human, without the draconic heritage. He's still easily not the cleanest or most presentable, but he looks like a normal man in need of a good wash. "Come on." He motions to his as-yet unintroduced tiefling wizard companion.

Vayne begins walking towards the town. If any of the group follow him, he shoots them a nasty glance and picks up the pace so he's not associating with them.

When he reaches the town, he goes over to any sort of passerby, not caring who he finds. "He's looking for a big library. Know where it is?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"It's on the opposite side of this cog. See the series of gears over there? Stepping between those will turn you over so you can reach it. Be careful though, the Blood War may have spilled over a little, and if not, stepping between cogs is dangerous enough."

As the young man speaks, the cog you are all standing on suddenly shudders and turns slightly with a loud snapping noise. The residents of the town appear not to notice.
    And I am OUT.

How many signatures would a Tim have if a Tim could have a signature? Answer? None yet.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

"My dragons can probably tag along with you guys, right?" Is the question Zoan mentally asks to Itaravap & Poag. If they agree, the two dragons that accompanied the group will lift off and stick with them on a higher altitude. Zaon himself will go along with Thorkild & Gaara. Seeing Vayne and his companion not stick around with them, reaching the town before they do, Zaon raises an eyebrow. He shrugs slightly and when he, Thorkild and Gaara make their way to the town, Zaon looks at his companions and motions that he will speak one of the residents, unless they absolutely want to do that. This time around, he uses normal speech with an eloquent and friendly voice. Speaking to one of the residents, trying to pick out a friendly face, Zoan asks. "Fair greetings, my good man. I was wondering if you could aid me. Myself and my companions are looking for your center of knowledge in the neighbourhood. Would you be so kind as to give directions?"

11. - Top - End - #41

Paog and Itaravap mentally welcome Zaon's dragons to their airspace.

Thorkild steps closer to hear the answer Zaon receives.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Devil

Vayne

"Good. Alright." Vayne states simply enough, then begins walking in the direction given. Once far enough, he waits for the rest of them.

"That way."
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-03-18 at 09:28 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Thorkild

Unless Zaon's passerby gives a different answer, Thorkild follows Vayne and signals with a hand gesture to they fliers to follow them.
    Speaking more or less to himself, So far, so good
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Unless the answer is indeed dissimilar, Zaon will thank the man and then go along with the others ahead to their destination.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The second answer is indeed the same. The cog you are on remains steady, however those around it are moving, some slow, some fast, some continuously, some haltingly. The vast expanse of gears continues as far as the eye can see, with buildings in places that gravity would normally take offense at.
    And I am OUT.

16. - Top - End - #46

Devil

Vayne

Unless otherwise accosted, Vayne will continue walking.

EDIT: That is, until he reaches his destination or the mage begins to tire.
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-03-18 at 09:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Gaara

Looking around cautiously as he goes, Gaara walks with a fluid stride towards the edge of the cog.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

And along with the others, Zaon keeps moving as well, in an elegant pace towards their destination.

19. - Top - End - #49

Itaravap and Poag
    Seeing Thorkild walk to the edge of the cog and begin moving around to the other other side, Itaravap gestured to Poag I guess we know where we're going. Let's follow and be ready to help out if gravity trips them up.. Poag nods assent and the two follow the path of those walking and wave to the other dragons to come with them.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The walk to the first cog goes without incident, but the SRD doesn't seem to mention how dangerous it is to go between cogs. How many people here need to walk?

For all, I'm going to have the shift in gravity leave you sickened for 2 rounds after. DC 15 fort save negates. Don't bother making a save this time around, there's nothing on the second cog anyway.

For the walkers, I'm not sure yet. Some kind of balance check should probably be in order but I can't decide on a DC which apparently isn't mentioned under the rules of the plane.
    And I am OUT.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Realising that what they seek is on the opposite side of the cog, Zaon will walk whatever path is needed to get there, and, if necessary, will use his wings to fly along the path. As he goes, he motions towards his dragons, who then follow the group accordingly. As Zaon flies past the different zones of gravity, he does not seem affected by the shift in gravity at all, even frowning shortly when he notices another might be left sickened because of it. If he does notice said effect, he will make a mental note of it for next time.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-03-20 at 02:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Devil

Vayne

After a bit, Vayne lumbers around in bear form instead, finding the four legged form easier for walking long distances. The mage rides. Notably, the bear walks carefully from cog to cog

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll just take 10 on my balance check. You've got my sheet, you know what it is. Wizard will just ride on my back to simplify things.

23. - Top - End - #53

Thorkild

Thorkild carefully follows in the bear's wake, trusting Vayne to find the optimal path.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 10, my balance check is 26
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Gaara

Sliding over the side with great agility, Gaara manages the transfer without any issues.
    Spoiler
    Show
    pretty sure I autosucceed the balance check, and the fort check... no access to my sheet from work... but heres a mod-less fort save just in case.(1d20)[7]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Took a look at the sheets, and considering the mods on all of them, unless you get dexterity and con drained and then try to run between cogs while fighting, there isn't really a need to make the saves/checks anyway.

So, the first two cogs you pass by are small and uninhabited. The third one, which could not be seen from the town you arrived at, is the size of the decks of a few warships put together. Apparently not much news spreads around between these towns, because no one in the town you landed at mentioned that the next settlement happened to be on fire.

Beyond this cog is a very large one with a massive fortress atop it. In front of you is what was once a hamlet or a thorp--it is hard to tell with the flames. Near it are the remains of a medium-scale battle. Devils and angels lay dead in piles. An occasional destroyed Inevitable is strewn about the edge of the battlefield.

A large group of damaged Inevitables is leading away a what is left of the angelic and devlilish armies. One of the larger ones (a Marut) turns and notices you. It speaks in a slow, cultured, but mechanical voice.

"Your business?"
    And I am OUT.

26. - Top - End - #56

Thorkild

Information, to put it simply. We were given to understand their was a library on this cog with information my friend here can use in his research. Though something far more pressing seems to be going on, now. What has happened?

Spoiler
    Show

Gesturing to the wizard when he says friend, particularly if Vayne is still in bear form.
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+31)[40] unless someone has a better mod and wants to do it.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The same Marut says nothing for a long moment. He then speaks slowly, in an emotionless tone of voice.

"Angels and devils fought over access to the Library. This battle began inside, the devils attempted to steal several writings from the restricted stacks. The angels pursued them into this town. The Fortress is closed at the moment."

The heavily injured Pit Fiend leading the devils seems to concentrate for a moment, the Inevitables appear not to notice. One of Zaon's dragons sees the image of a small, disembodied page appear in front of it's eyes for a brief moment. It says the following:

On the town's altar of Pelor.

Spoiler
    Show

Pit fiends have Persistant Image as an at-will spell-like ability.

The Marut turns, the Inevitables continue leading away the armies.
    And I am OUT.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

The dragon who saw that seems to fly a bit closer to the group for a few moments before taking up flying position with the others again. Zaon then transmits his telepathic message to those standing near him, glad that this is a private way of communicating. "One of my dragon's got the message 'On the town's altar of Pelor'. This was most likely from one of the devils. I do not know why he picked one of the dragons, but that is the case. Considering our goal, I suggest we act on it."

29. - Top - End - #59

Thorkild

Hmmph. Ideally, I'd like a little more to go on than 'on the altar,' but I don't see that we have any better leads at the moment. If there are no objections, let's get going. Can anyone see where that altar might be?

Spoiler
    Show

with +1 to spot I'm not trying
    Thorkild was built to interact with NPCs and boost everyone's combat ability, not to see where he's going
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-03-24 at 09:06 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Devil

Vayne

Vayne continues to pretend to be a trained bear. It was one of his most favorite ways to pull a fast one on anyone. After all, he had a few tricks up his sleeve whilst wearing his wild form.