New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Shook Up

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: All Shook Up

Zaon

The question Thorkild raised was a good one. Within a few moments, the dragon was again hovering closer to the group and through telepathic contact, Zaon learned what the dragon could see. If anybody of this group would be able to see it, it would most likely be one of the dragons. When he learns of the knowledge, he will tell the others the direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dragon taking 10 on spot; end result is 97.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The dragon looks at the town, ignoring the fire, the burning houses and shops. In the very center, a gold-painted wooden structure stands, flames licking at one side. Atop it is a medium-sized symbol of Pelor, which is beginning to melt.
    And I am OUT.

How many signatures would a Tim have if a Tim could have a signature? Answer? None yet.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

"That way!" With that message to the others, Zaon unfurls his wings and makes his way towards the altar of Pelor, with his dragons following him nearby in the air. It is their only lead, so Zaon hopes that they will find at least something of use there.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Itaravap and Paog
    Hearing Zaon's announcement and seeing him take to the skies, the Raptoran and halfling follow.

Thorkild
    Thorkild mutters something about trying to stay together and then begins jogging in the direction the fliers are headed.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Approaching the church, all of you feel slightly nauseated by the faint holy aura surrounding it. The feeling passes as the symbol of Pelor begins to slag in the heat. The fire is spreading to the roof. The door (for the moment) remains untouched.
    And I am OUT.

How many signatures would a Tim have if a Tim could have a signature? Answer? None yet.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Gaara

Gaara looks around to see if anyone is watching, then pushes open the door to the church, instincts and senses fully alert.

7. - Top - End - #67

Devil

Vayne

As the chapel was probably not designed for bears, Vayne just stands guard outside.

8. - Top - End - #68

Thorkild

Thorkild follows Gaara, wary of the size of the flames.

Paog
    Paog flies Tiayan over the burning chain and small wave of water seems to trail behind them.

Spoiler
    Show

Using one of Tiayan's three daily uses of 'create water' as a spell like ability to create a spread of two gallons of water over as much of the roof as possible (i know not that much) in an effort to dampen it so it won't catch fire and collapse on us as quickly
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Following Gaara, Zaon makes sure the dragons stay on the look out in the sky for any potential approaching danger to their team.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The door opens, the fire hesitating before it begins to cover the roof as well.

As you approach the altar, the roof begins to creak. Upon the altar are two items, a small scroll, and a silver key.
    Last edited by Sir *TIM!!!!!!*; 2008-04-01 at 01:58 PM.
    And I am OUT.

11. - Top - End - #71

Thorkild

Unless Gaara or Zaon do so more quickly, Thorkild grabs the two items in one hand, holds them close to his chest, covers them with his shield and begins running back towards the door. Briefly looking over his shoulder, he calls back Come on! One of these is what we're looking for, but this doesn't seem like the best place to figure out why!
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Zaon let's Thorkild grab the items as he stays at the door. It is best to cover their actions as he stands near the door, watching out. With a quick telepathic message to one of his nearby dragons, he makes sure that nothing bad is approaching them. When Thorkild arrives back at the door, one of the dragons comes flying down. "Hop on the dragon, we will be further out of their reach that way." With that messaged, he hops on the dragon himself. To the bear fellow, he makes the telepathic offer that the dragon puts him on the dragon's back. If Vayne agrees, the dragon will grab the bear and put him on his back.

13. - Top - End - #73

Devil

Vayne

Vayne notably bristles at this command, growling. He instead jumps and begins to climb the dragons back. Once at the top, he will look at the group, saying nothing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Climb for a 55

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Gaara

Telepathically : "At this point something 'bad' coming to attack us is almost welcome... we can rigorously interrogate any survivors." When the dragon comes, without asking for permission, Gaara jumps aboard.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

After you make your exit, the roof smashes down upon the temple. The queasy feeling returns, stronger this time, as an impossibly bright, winged angel appears from the wreckage--a Solar. The hulking yet graceful figure draws his Greatsword and speaks in a slow, measured, deep voice:

Abandon the key and the scroll, lest orders wrath befall you.

As he speaks, the flames fade momentarily and a small group of about ten transcluscent figures appear. They are petitioners of Pelor. Since they are so weak as to be noncombatants, the Solar's power must simply attract them.
    And I am OUT.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Direct to the group, Zaon's telepathic message spreads - thus does not include the Solar. "Seems like you are served upon your demands, Gaara." Then, Zaon turns to the Solar. "No. Lest you wish to face us, you better head our demands and tell us what is going on here and for what purpose." That was stated so whimsical, as if Zaon deigns the Solar unworthy of even his attention. With it, it carries an implicit threat of power that would far surpass the Solar. When Zaon does glance at the Solar, it is as if he looks down with piercing eyes, trying to make the Solar realise that he is nothing but a soft leaf that stands before him and would be swiped away with one simple blow. As Zaon forms his fist, it seems as if he is ready to unleash terror upon the Solar if it does not back down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on intimidate, giving a result of 72.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Gaara

Casually studying the Solar, Gaara keeps his crossbows pointed down and away.

Telepathy, to all group members, but first to Zaon : Keep him talking. All creatures have a weakness. Death soon follows its discovery.... also... see if you can convince him we wish to talk... Surprise will make it all the sweeter.
    Spoiler
    Show

carefully study = assassin death attack countdown, just to be clear. I select... paralyze.... I've always wanted to implant a solar with my offspring
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-04-03 at 08:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Thorkild,Paog and Itaravap

Keeping the key and scroll held tightly in his one hand, Thorkild uses the other to climb aboard the dragon when instructed and then signals to Paog and Itaravap who fall into a loose formation with Zaon's dragon.

Paog readies his lance, keeping it aimed in the direction of the Solar. Itaravap idly flicks wands in and out of his wand bracers. Seeing the others are ready, Thorkild draws his sword. Clearly, there has been much conflict here today. We did not come seeking any of it, though you can see we are prepared for it. Would you have battle or would you discuss that which you seek openly and without threats of your wrath?

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+31)[39]
    (though I'm fine with a fight)
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-04-03 at 08:54 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Devil

Vayne

Unlike the others, Vayne makes no overt motions to talk. The bear rises to stand on two legs, and the front paws notably become shorter, more clawed. The hind legs become those suited for a biped, rather than a quadraped. His face retains the ursine characteristics, his body retains it's fur. He stands fully in his hybrid form, a literal engine of death and combat. His claws, also, notably appear larger than normal for a bear of his height. His stance indicates he is ready to defend himself, if necessary.

His wizard companion dismounts and hides behind Vayne, ready to cast defensive spells on himself.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Solar sweeps his eyes around the group facing him. Zaon's show of bravado clearly startles the Solar, who appears not to have been expecting even a fifth as much to deal with. This weakens his resolve, and Paog's diplomatic manner seems to convince him that fighting is not an option at the moment.

The thralls appear absolutely terrified--and they don't even have faces.

The greatsword the Solar holds angles downward, the tip lightly resting on the ground. The solar considers the situation for a moment and then speaks.

Very well. We will talk for the moment. Be warned that I am but one of the angelic host. Should you attempt any treachery, my fellows will hunt you down.

OOC Info:
    playswithfire
    Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check succeeds only partially because Solars are opposed to all of your alignments and quests. However, you can tell you have convinced him that fighting is not the immediate solution. (From hostile to unfriendly)

Zweanslord
    Spoiler
    Show

+62? The Solar can't match that rolling a natural 20.

Jael_Darkwood
    Spoiler
    Show

1 round has gone by for your countdown.
    Last edited by Sir *TIM!!!!!!*; 2008-04-03 at 01:09 PM.
    And I am OUT.

21. - Top - End - #81

Thorkild
    Lowering his sword but not unsheathing it, Thorkild continues to address the Solar. Well, let's start with something simple, then. Why are you so interested in these objects?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The solar inclines his head and says simply:

"To prevent those who would steal them. What is your interest?"
    And I am OUT.

23. - Top - End - #83

Thorkild

From where I'm sitting, I'm the one that just saved these objects from fiery destruction. As for our interests... we came here seeking information that we had reason to believe could be found in the library on this cog. The library, as you no doubt know, was unavailable, but we were redirected here. We found the temple in flames and preserved what we could. Then you arrived, an event for which we still don't have a very satisfactory explanation. Unless you'd rather these items were destroyed than removed?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I would rather they remain where they were until Pelor may identify their use. I say again: Why do they interest you?"
    And I am OUT.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Zaon remains clam and seated, letting Thorkild do the talking since he had already established himself as the intimidating figure towards the Solar. While he now sits in a normal fashion, looking at the Solar without ill intent, he feels it is better to just let Thorkild do the talking for this meet up. As the Solar speaks, Zaon frowns a bit about letting the items remain.. in a burning temple? He mentally shrugs to himself and glances at Thorkild to see his reaction and response.

26. - Top - End - #86

Thorkild

Having tried unsuccessfully to avoid answering certain questions, Thorkild tries a new approach.
    To be honest, if only because you won't believe me anyway, I'm not sure how interested we are in these items. We are in search of several specific items to achieve our goal; a goal you'd support, if not necessarily our methods: saving existence on the material plane. We understood there was information that could help us find them in the library. When we got here and asked, we were told that wasn't an option and then that we'd find something useful on the altar of Pelor. We hadn't had the time yet to determine how much, if any, usefulness these items have for us before you arrived and demanded we turn them over. So what do you say to all that?
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-04-07 at 08:55 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Solar's impervious expression slips slightly at these words.

"The Solar's are comparatively few among the followers of Pelor. As such, He has imparted to me the knowledge of certain... artifacts... of multiversal proportions. You seek information on the dormant portal created by the first Lord of the Nine, I believe? I will tell you where the information is in the Library, and you may keep the scroll you were sent for--but you must give me the key."
    And I am OUT.

28. - Top - End - #88

Thorkild

If you bring the information we seek to us or lead us to it and can satisfy me that this key is not also important to our task, I see no reason to object to your terms. I will insist on maintaining possession of the key until I lay eyes on the information we seek, however. Turning to those near him, Thorkild asks That seem reasonable to all of you?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Gaara

Gaara nods, studying the Solar intently. His voice raspy from lack of use, and with a curious screechy inflection, "I believe we have a compact." His eyes, however, seem unable to stop watching the Solar.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaon

Joining Gaara in movement, it is Zaon who nods as well. That seems like a reasonable deal to him. More than a nod he does not give however, letting things be as they may. He sits comfortable on the back of the dragon, watching things around them, as do the dragons.