New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default "Bring your homebrew class" campaign

Monchique was a peacefull little village in the top of an hill. The soil was fairly rich, and the sea was nearby, wich allowed it's habitants to lead a decent life out of farming, hunting and fishing. After some kilometers of plains, to the east and west were tall mountains, while at north of the village a tick forest existed. Tales told that strange creatures lived on that forest, so most villagers never adventured too deep on it. Sometimes a merchant would appear once or twice a year, from the least tick parts of the forests, but for all purposes the village was pretty much isolated from the world.

The village had however it's motive of pride. Many time ago a small group of monks had taking a liking to the village and built a monastery near the sea. There they would train in that peacefull place, perfecting their bodies and minds. In those rare cases a dangerous wild beast would come from outside the monks would use their martial arts to drive them back, wich earned them the gratitude of the villagers.

All was peacefull and well.

Untill today.

You could hear the screams high in the air. You could see the smoke raise to the skies. The sound of clashing weapons was distant but there.

For your own reasons reasons you were far from the village at that moment. Some of you were travelers from other places just arriving, others were hunting or exploring. But whatever the motive, you weren't there at that moment. As quickly as possible, you went to the village, but arrived too late.

The houses were burning. The streets were covered with bodies. Most of them villagers, but between them there were soldiers with red armors and an eagle symbol on the back you never had seen before. At the main square of the village it was the worst scene. Atop a pile of soldier bodies all the monks of the village lay dead. Clearly they tried to make a last stand there but the invader numbers were too great. The 14 monks who resided in the village had taken down at least 3 times as much of these soldiers before going down. The armors and weapons left behind are shatered and useless. Whoever attacked has taken everything that could still be of any use.

A deep trail on the earth soaked with blood clearly shows that the invading force, after their attack, exited the village by the same way they had entered:by the trail leading to the forest at north.

As you explore the ruins in search of survivors you meet each other.
    OoC:(present yourselves and offer sugestions on what to do now)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: "Bring your homebrew class" campaign

Throk runs into the village from the south. He had been monitoring the south road when the attack happened. As he enters the village he stops, seeing the carnage that had taken place.

"Is anyone here alive," he shouts, pulling out his great sword, "Any one alive needs to get away from the burning buildings.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ezren Icuro's tired eyes looked to the North, and at first he thought the smoke and the noise was just his tired mind playing tricks on him. He heard the screams of men, women, and children when he finally realized that this was no illusion. He ran as fast as his sore legs could carry him, ignoring the stabbing cramps that were forming all over his body. He reached the center of the village and looked at the pile of bodies in disbelief. He hears the sword-bearing man screaming for survivors, and does the same, before approaching the warrior beside him.

Sir! Sir! What happened here? Who are these strange soldiers? What type of foul crime occured here?
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

4. - Top - End - #4

Ryu

Having been away from the monestary on a trip for the monks, Ryu was surprised and upset when he spotted the smoke rising from the village. Grabbing his shield in one hand and his bastard sword in the other, he raced toward the village.

Finding he was too late to do anything, he approached the two other warriors slowly, and asked quietly, "Do either of you know what happened here? This atrocity must not go unavenged," Suddenly, thinking he heard a sound, Ryu shut his mouth and listened.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ach! I accidentally deleted the roll! I'll just take whatever you want me to. My modifier is +4

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-02-13 at 10:47 AM.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

((You rolled a 12 with a +2 mod, so that would be a 10.))

Rathnor
    The dwarf charges into the city, blunderbuss loaded. He's entirely bald - not from aging, but from (what looks like) fire. "Alright! Nobody move! I've got a big gun, and I'm not afraid to use - was there an explosion here? Ooh! That looks like a nice explosion. I wonder what caused it? Definitely not gunpowder, there'd be more charring, but..." His voice trails off, his attention totally focused on the explosion. He's entirely oblivious to the world around him.

((Yeah. Rathnor's really uncharismatic, and usually misevaluates any given situation. Oh, and he loves anything that goes boom.
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

6. - Top - End - #6

Throk turns towards the dwarf, "Are you daft? The village has been destroyed, everyone but us seems to be dead. Does anyone here have good tracking abilities? We should follow these foot steps, they may lead us to the monsters that did this."

Throk notices the odd symbols on the armor and looks closer at one of the bodies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    search - (1d20)[20]

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bandededed View Post
    Ryu

Spoiler
    Show
    Ach! I accidentally deleted the roll! I'll just take whatever you want me to. My modifier is +4
    You can only listen to the houses burning and the newcomers.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by expirement10K14 View Post
    Throk turns towards the dwarf, "Are you daft? The village has been destroyed, everyone but us seems to be dead. Does anyone here have good tracking abilities? We should follow these foot steps, they may lead us to the monsters that did this."

Throk notices the odd symbols on the armor and looks closer at one of the bodies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    It's the body of a well muscled tall male human . The hair is black and cut short and seems to be in his 20-30. His skin color's is more or less the same of the villagers, but looks healthier, like someone who never suffered of the common sickness. His brown eyes are still open. He was well shaven whitout beard or mustache. Some blunt weapon shattered the back of his scale mail, but the cause of death seems to be a broken neck. He still holds the haft of a broken spear.

The Symbol is an red eagle with details of white in the eyes, chest and feathers. It's very well drawn and you're almost sure it was made by magic. Ignoring the broken parts and the blood spilled the armor seems to be rather clean and well taken care off. His boots however are sturdy and tick and seem to be used to walk a long distance. The clothes under the armor are also relatively good quality, sugesting he was well paid.

Those informations combined strongly sugest that these soldiers were an highly disciplined professional force. Whoever trained them is whitout doubt rich and powerfull.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-02-13 at 12:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

The dwarf turns towards Throk. "You could call me daft. You could also call me graft, or laughed, or draft, or... oh, I don't know, Drizzl, or Fredrico F. Buguresa, or Edward Roses-and-velt. But I'd prefer if you called me Rathnor, dwarven Black Powder Mage and demolitions expert extraordinare. Pleased to make your acquaintance." Rathnor stands up, and proffers a grimy, sooty hand to Throk.
    ((Is there any knowledge skill that would represent being a demolitions expert?))
    Spoiler
    Show
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.

10. - Top - End - #10

OoC:knowledge:engineering

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

A man turns a corner of the path that the rest are on and comes into view a short distance off. His silver hair and chain shirt look red-copper in the fire light. He scans the carnage noting the monks and the damage to the buildings.

He turns and see's the gathering, starts moving towards them, but just as he steps over one of the soldiers bodies he stops and looks down. *In elvish and to himself*"That bird..."

Finally he makes his way over and says "The battle here was very one sided are you all survivors? Or perhaps your mercenaries picking the ruins for your pay?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Alexander steps over the bodies, it's almost impossible not to step on some dead person's face, the stench of blood and ash permeate his nostrils. Alexander wants to feel bad, it didn't look like these people deserved it,

but then, it never looks like they deserve it, and then they turn on you. The living always do...

Alexander hear's the offenssive comment.
    "Mercenary?! I wouldn't waste my time slaughtering men in rags. These vermin are barely worth my sight of vision... I'm just curious as to what sortof man it takes to slaughter an innocent village."

Alexander looks around, you can tell by his expression he doesn't care of what transpired. What you can't tell is what he's thinking:
    "These corpses would make a great army to Nerull. It would be a beautiful site for them to rise from thier slain state to get revenge on whoever did this to them. Justice would prevail!"

As he looks behind him, he doesn't see Bob or The Dean, more then likely out searching for spare food or anything shiney on the slain. Aint gonna find anything on these poor saps..
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-02-13 at 03:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

(Bob's search check: )
    (1d20-1)[17]

(The Dean's search check, all animals have an int of 2: )
    (1d20-4)[0]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Experiment 14

Coming from the east 14 seen the smoke from the village. He came quickly as he could but found himself there for too late to be any help. Greatsword on his back he is drawn to the group conversing. Taking in the sight before him he looks at everyone. "Are any of you from this village? Do you know what happened?"

15. - Top - End - #15

The pig sniff trough the bodies but doesn't find anything of interest.

Bob is somewhat more lucky and finds some decent clothes whitout blood or cuts on a villager who got his head impaled by an arrow against a wall and thus didn't fall to the ground. No merchant would give even a copper piece for them for being crudly made and old, but they surely look much better than the dirty rags the half orc currently uses.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warlock2000 View Post
    Experiment 14
    "Are any of you from this village? Do you know what happened?"
    Alexander sarcasticaly looks at him, then back down at the bodies, then back up at him.

"People died..." looks back down..
    "Alot of them..."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ezren looks surprised as so many newcomers arrive so quickly. "What are the odds of so many warriors arriving just after the battle? Surely this many men could have turned the tide..." he thinks to himself. He turns to the silver haired man, and looks him up and down before responding.

Mercenary? Maybe at one time, but not today. It seems like not one of us really knows what happened here. Are any of you skilled trackers? Not even skilled, necessarily, just good enough to find where these soldiers have gone. I, for one, am horrified by what happened here, and would like some answers.

He looks around the group, hoping that one of them can help him track down these dark soldiers, or that at least some of them are as disturbed by this spectacle as he.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dual_wielder View Post
    Mercenary? Maybe at one time, but not today. It seems like not one of us really knows what happened here. Are any of you skilled trackers? Not even skilled, necessarily, just good enough to find where these soldiers have gone. I, for one, am horrified by what happened here, and would like some answers.
    Alexander crosses his arms and calmy states.

"There's only so many possibilities.

A) They were bandits, but i somehow doubt bandits would be this organized or succesful. So I'm not going to assume that much.

B) It was a powerful wizard of some kind. Though If that were the case I don't think people would look butcherd like this.

Or C) It was a military of some sort. This seems the most plausible by the way the battle looks. However, I don't see what there would be to gain from a seemingly poor village. Unless maybe there was a shortage of rags.

If it is as I suspect, a war-crime has been commited. Are you prepared to seek justice at the expense of being called a traitor?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So your not even all together then, i guess a blazing town draws an audience..." he looks down and shifts a body of one of the soldiers with his feet so that the eagle is visible. "Your third theory has the most merit, bandits wouldn't wear a uniform, i'm not even going to debate your wizard theory.
    "Does anyone know this crest? Its all very well following our red-eagle army, and i dont think it would be to hard but i'd like to know who i'm dealing with first"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

A traitor? A traitor against whom? I owe these men no allegiance, and wouldn't feel the least bit guilty if these villagers were avenged. They are just another military faction most likely, as there are so many of these days. And I am afraid that I do not recognize the crest on their armor... Strange.

He bends down to examine the body of a soldier more closely, but knows that it is useless. He stands back up and stretches out his sore muscles, trying to work out the kinks and cramps.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Alexander takes one of the armored bodies and begins stripping off the armor. And puts it in his book bag, the weight of the armor combined with his normal gear would be too much to carry, as much as it pains him to ask his incompetant slave.

"Bob! Come'ere! You're going to have to carry my bag for me. There's armor inside too, don't touch anything in there. Just carry it."

Bob nods and grunts cause he doesn't speak poor common, he shows Alexander the clothes he found.

"Yes Yes, whatever you find on these bodies in your's to keep, I don't care.."

He puts The Dean on the head and says.

"I guess will be traveling to the next town together.. it'd be safer then traveling alone if there's military dogs. If they'll kill a village, i'm sure they'd kill a suspicious looking bunch like us.."
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-02-13 at 06:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

"Sounds like a plan to me. I've got nothing better to do."
    Rathnor inspects the buildings, seeing if he recognizes anything about them, or if he can discern anything about how they were destroyed.
    Know: Engineering: (1d20+4)[18]
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

The houses seem to be of the typical regional arquitecture. The walls were made out of stones with wooden suports and the ceiling has ceramic plates suported by wood. Decent quality, made to endure. The materials used are all common on the surrounding lands.

The wood was aparently doused in some combustible, and ignited, making the houses crumble quickly after that. You don't recognize the combustible, but it burned much better than regular oil.

However you notice some zones of the houses that seem to have crumbled before the fire started. The stone itself in those zones seems to be strongly charred and cracked,wich either means explosives or elemental magic. Fairly strong elemental magic or explosives, but you can't discern wich or how strong exactly.

In some places however the houses seem to have been demolished whitout the need of fire due to a large radius of detrits. The stones are only slightly charred wich eliminates the possibility of elemental magic or explosions. This means they were taken down by some heavy kinetic force. Very probaly either an heavy siege weapon or some large very strong creature was present in the battle.

One way or another whoever did this wanted to clear this village from the map. Little will be left of the fires.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-02-13 at 08:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

We should probably leave before the whole town is destroyed. We should follow the tracks and find where they lead, then kill whatever we find there. Whoever did this deserves to die.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

"If you don't mind the company of a stranger I will be glad to come with you. I have traveled alone for far too long."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ezren smiles at Throk, nodding his head in agreement.

I agree. This attack happened very recently, so the remaining soldiers can't be far ahead. If we leave now, we should be able to catch them shortly. Our group is smaller and will travel faster. Whoever our tracker is should lead the group. I will follow behind them.

Ezren then shoulders his bedroll and draws his sword, preparing himself for the sure to be dangerous journey.

27. - Top - End - #27

Ryu

Still trembling with fury, Ryu quickly agrees with Throk, "You are correct. The perpetrator of these acts should and will be punished. I will make certain,"

Checking to make sure none of his gear had fallen off, he readies himself to follow and assault whoever he finds, barring only any captives.

Just before they leave, Ryu looks again at the mass of bodies which includes the monks. "I will make certain," he mutters just loud enough for the others to hear, though he seems to be addressing the monks.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28

Ooc: start thinking on wich formation you will tavel. Who goes in front, who goes in back, who goes in the middle, if you go side by side, with how much space between you, etc.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Raz was out hunting when he noticed the column of smoke rising from the general direction of the village. As he nears the village and realizes the true extent of the damage, he checks his pace and moves carefully.

What happened here! Why would they do this? We were just a peaceful village, with no resources or...wait. There are others here. That's Ryu! If he survived, maybe others did.Raz seems to run to the only living familiar face he can see, keeping his eyes away from the dead, as if to deny that almost everyone he knows is dead. Once he nears Ryu he shout out:
    Ryu! What happened here? Did anyone survive?
    Al the while clutching Ryu's arm as if he represents some slim hope.

Spoiler
    Show

Psionically focused. +10 to movement speed.
    Hide:(1d20+6)[8]
    Move Silently:(1d20+6)[24]
    Powers Manifested:Synesthete,9 min. left(manifested about 1 min out of the town.) +4 bonus on Spot, Search, and Listen checks.

30. - Top - End - #30

Okay, who here can track? They should go in front. Followed by any one with some tough armor and swords, then the spell casters and marksman should head up the rear.