New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: No Country for Ye Olde Men

hmmmmmmmmmmm woops wrong thread. How to delet posts
    Last edited by Zyks; 2008-02-18 at 09:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Between your spot check result and your dwarven darkvision, you easily make out three tall and pale humanoid figures. You notice their skin and hair seems to reflect the moonlight, but what strikes you the most is their eerily blue eyes. Two figures (one near Cog and one near the quenched bonfire) hold javelins. They all have shields strapped to their backs and wicked looking battleaxes at their hips
    Black Frost Champion PrC

Thanks Jagg for the image in my avatar!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Jules

[ooc]Jules emerges from the tent and tries to identify the creatures. If the creature type are subject to Dark Knowledge, he will spend a move action to activate Dark Knowledge: Tactics (bonus to attack rolls for all allies within 60 ft). If there are several creature types, he will activate Dark Knowledge for the most common one.
    DC 15: +1 to attack rolls
    DC 25: +2 to attack rolls

Base Dark Knowledge Roll: (1d20)[4]

Knoweldge Ranks to add:
    10 Knowledge Religion (Dark Knowledge: Undead)
    8 Knowledge Arcane (Dark Knowledge: Magical Beasts)
    8 Knowledge Dungeoneering (Dark Knowledge: Aberrations)
    8 Knowledge Planes (Dark Knowledge: Outsiders and Elementals)
    8 Knowledge Nature (Archivist of Nature: Giants, Fey)

Next, if any of the creatures threaten him, he will try to take a 5 foot step away from the creature. If he is not being threatened, or after moving away, he will cast bless on himself (+1 to attack rolls and fear saving throws to all allies within 50 ft).
    [/ooc]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]You don't recognize these creatures, Jules. You sense there is something of the north about them, but other than that, they are foreign. They seem human to you, perhaps they are merely part of a northern barbarian tribe.

None threaten you directly. The closest two are approximately 15 feet away. One holds a javelin, the other is armed, but has nothing in hand. Cog is next to you leaking oil out of a wound on his shoulder. He has a dusting of ice on his metal chin and jaw, which looks oddly like a frosty beard.[/ooc]
    Last edited by lotofsnow; 2008-02-18 at 10:02 AM.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mikootaktoo, waking abruptly to the sounds of battle, instinctively casts Mage Armor. He watches Karthan zoom out of the tent and vanish, and decides to quietly make his way to the flap and peer out to see what's going on.

Edit: Removed plans for next round for the excellent reasons that Lot of Snow has pointed out.
    Last edited by Agthorr; 2008-02-18 at 10:40 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]Ok, wait to post the next round's action until then, so there's no confusion. I know casting Mage Armor isn't dramatic, but it's still a standard action. Maybe I can make it dramatic in my description.[/ooc]
    Black Frost Champion PrC

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Iv

Iv rolled out of her bedroll and popped to her feet, glancing back at Jules to make sure he was awake. "Wind and cold. Bad luck for my bow. Then it is time for the sword!" With a grin, she unsheathed her greatsword and quickly left the tent, dodging to her right at the opening (towards the sounds of strife) to leave room for Jules to exit. With her gnomish low light vision, she scanned the area, searching for the enemy.

OOC: Spot check if needed: (d20+0)[8]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

No spot check needed to see the javelin-brandishing humanoid standing just a few feet away, next to your now extinguished bonfire. Other than that, you don't notice anything in particular.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rane

The sudden commotion snapped Rane out his trance. Recognizing the three Frost Folk from his time living in the Ghostwood, he unlimbered his bow and cried, "Alarm! Frost Folk! Alarm! Raise the camp!" As one of the three turned toward him, the elf drew and fired an arrow.

OOC:
    Free action: Raising the alarm.
    Move action: Standing up
    Free action combined with the Move action: Drawing a weapon (bow).
    Free action: Loading a normal arrow
    Standard action: Targeting the Frost Folk that isn't carrying a javelin.
    To hit: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage if it hits: (1d8+4)[5]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cog, wounded but calm, turns and adopts a fighting stance. His eyes burn intensely red and glow with a deep inner light. A blade of brilliant crimson energy grows from his empty right hand. With a swift, practiced motion, he snaps his arm forward, propelling the shining blade with his mind at the creature that attacked him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free action: 5 foot step back towards the side of the tent.
    Move Action: manifest mind blade
    Standard Action: Attack on the creature that threw the javelin.
    (1d20+6)[26] Damage if it hits: (1d6)[2]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Score! Natural 20!
    Rolling to confirm crit:
    (1d20+6)[19]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Tel

At the sight of his bunkmate's injuries, Tel's mind sharpens into an implement of destruction. He draws his sword back parallel to his shoulder into Form I, the stance of pure aggression. Charging toward the second enemy in the tent, Tel focuses entirely on running it through.

Nobody injures my allies. I won't let them.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I know Tel's dialogue isn't that clever, but I figure that he isn't in the mood for witty banter. They woke him up, injured his bunkmate, and are threatening his life. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! Anyway, on to combat actions.

Swift action: Activate Punishing Stance (-2 AC, +1d6 to all melee attacks)
    Move action to reach the enemy that Cog isn't engaging.
    Standard Action to use Steely Strike (-4 AC to all opponents not targeted by this attack, +4 to attack against this target)
    2 points of Power Attack (-2 to hit, +4 to damage)
    Steely Strike - (1d20+8)[10]
    damage - (3d6+8)[18]
    Present AC: 14 (10 vs. all but one)
    If at any point Tel is required to make a Will save, he'll try to resist with Moment of Perfect Mind instead, allowing a +7 bonus rather than his usual +0.

Edit: Well, looks like I'll be getting to see the full downside of those penalties shortly.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-02-18 at 03:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]Pst... there are no enemies in the tent. They are outside, about 20ft away. Still within reach though, so it doesn't matter much.[/ooc]
    Black Frost Champion PrC

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Astoral bursts out of his tent at the sound of commotion. He looks around, assessing the scene with a seasoned eye. He sees the enemies and draws his mace angrily. He channels his eldritch through his arm into the blunt weapon with a moment of concentration. He then moves towards the nearest enemy and attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll attack the one at the fire if I can get there. If not, then whatever is most easily reached. I'll attack using Hideous Blow.

Attack:(1d20+3)[22]
    Damage:(1d8+1)[3]
    Hideous Blow Damage:(1d6)[1]
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]I'll take my turn and finish the round shortly. My daughter is sleeping in my arms and it is difficult to type one-handed.[/ooc]
    Black Frost Champion PrC

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Iv

OOC: I apparently misunderstood. As I read the situation, Iv could

Move action: Get up
    Free action as part of move: Draw a weapon (in this case, the great sword)
    Standard action: Move again to leave the tent.
    This left her at the end of the round just outside the tent ready to act in the next round.

If, in fact, Iv still has a standard action left in this round, then she will Cast A Spell!

Spoiler
    Show
    With a whisper to the wind <Guide my aim, my ancestors, and let me strike this beast to the heart>, Iv cast True Strike and readied her sword to attack in the next round.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

The warforged staggers under the unexpected impact of the thrown javelin, striking the living construct with such force that it shakes loose some of the icicles that collect around his joints. Cog begins to rise, his eyes, normally the flat, cold orbs of a mechanical man, now burn with anger-fueled psionic fire.

The flutter of a tent flap announces the arrival of a denizen of the deep turned master of the dark. The hidden pitfalls of his mountain home make no more noise than Karthan. He steps aside, assessing the field of battle. Hands twitch in martial eagerness at hidden blades among his dark vestments.

Cog, now standing at his full height, a marvel of a man, a masterpiece of a machine, with silent determination, draws the remnants of the projectile from the weak kink between his chest and arm. With the javelin shard comes splinters of wood and drops of oil. The fire of his eyes suddenly engulfs both hand and spear, and, with a mighty motion, he flings the weapon back at its owner. The projectile spins through the moonlight, spilling oil and psionic flame, until connecting with the left arm of the strange humanoid.

The creature screams. It's screams are inhuman, like the sound of falling icicles. Psionic fire momentarily engulfs the protruding javelin, but it is soon quenched, leaving nothing but stains of crimson flowing down the wounded arm. The javelin is no more, seemingly consumed by the strange fire that surrounded it.

The dwarf's tent flap moves again, this time to reveal a disembodied eye. Inside the tent, the burly sea-wizard, legs widespread as if balancing on the rocking deck of man of war, peers intently at the battlefield. A strange aura surrounds him, as if a transparent suit of armor lay itself upon his great shoulders, shimmering and vanishing into Mikootaktoo's tanned skin.

In contrast, another tent's flap is torn open. Astoral enters the fray. His anger, like the machine's, is visibly apparent; however, unlike the luminous fury of Cog, the human's ferocity seems to absorb the light. His hand and mace are cloaked in darkest night and that, coupled with the sheer viciousness of his visage, causes the creature near the fire to bring up his javelin in defense as the warlock bears down on it. The creatures lashes out at the last moment and both combatants' attacks connect, the javelin striking true and Astoral's swing glancing off the enemy's arm.

To see the mind of most elves in trance is to see the summer morning and to hear the chorus of songbirds chanting to the sun. To see the mind of Rane is to see instead his mother Moon and her children's praise is silence, is lurking in the shadows of the forest night. A tug of arctic wind upon his cape brings the elf from mental moonlight into reality. It takes no thought to recognize an enemy in the strangers from the north. There is no strain in his shout of alarm, just as there is no waste of motion in the single movement that knocks an arrow into his bow and launches it at the wounded frost folk. He pays no heed to whether his shot lands true, but instead prepares his next assault.

Blood trickles down the arm of the wounded creature, and, so intent is it upon the offending warforged, it does not notice Rane until his arrow lodges in its leg. The frost folk screams that same strange scream with new pain. Hefting the weapon at its hip, it lunges forward to the warforged, it's long-nailed fingers wrapped around the shaft of a mighty battleaxe. It's rage-blinded swing descends upon Cog and rattles upon his mithril hide.

The Frost Folk's partner, glares at the elf and he too recognizes an enemy. With a heave, he launches his javelin at Rane. With elvish intensity, Rane watches the projectile approach. Just as it seemed it would pierce him through, he dances to the side and the javelin passes harmlessly and into the ground behind him.

The lower part of tent flap flutters and a gnome emerges, her giant sword gleaming in the moonlight. She observes the combat and her faces twists to delight. She stares intently at her blade, muttering a brief incantation. Her eyes briefly leave her head and enter the sword, but, on second glance, this appears to be a trick of the moonlight.

The noise of combat awakens Telafor Skytter from dreams of combat. Jumping to his feet to engage the combatants surrounding him, the human realizes the combat is occurring outside. With a leap, he bounds from the flap just in time to see the javelin pass by the elf. Muttering a threat and an oath, he charges at the thrower, his steps not the lumbering gait of a warrior, but the graceful stride of a dancer. The creatures dodges frantically and manages to elude the warblade's attack.

His white robes reflect the light of the moon as Jules Helix enters the battlefield. He does not lift his arms in praise, nor does he sound a chanting call to his god. Instead, with profound concentration evident on his furrowed brow, he speaks the spidery words of magic. A white light explodes from the archivist and settles upon his allies. Each feels their arms become firmer and their eyes more focused on the battle at hand.

[ooc]Ok, wow, let's see here, if you skipped to the end, shame on you. Anyway, the only damage done was 5 damage to Astoral.

I probably won't break down the combat like this for every combat. I just figured it could fun to do for our first round of our first battle. Don't worry though. If you die, I'll make it as dramatic as possible.[/ooc]
    Black Frost Champion PrC

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Karthan

Spoiler
    Show
    That was great! I read it all, nice descriptions, especially mine

The shadow shifts around and dashes towards the creature attacking Rane. Coming from behind it, he uses his momentum to drive the blade into the creatures right side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sudden strike on the other creature
    Attack: (1d20+2)[17]
    damage: (1d4)[4]
    sudden strike: (1d6)[2]

19. - Top - End - #79

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless I'm mistaken, all of the Frost Folk are now engaged in melee with someone, so it's time for Rane to switch weapons or take a -4 to hit with the bow.

Rane

Seeing the Frost Folk charge at him, Rane smoothly shifted from bow to sword to meet it blade for blade. Noting the general lack of response from the camp beyond his fellow newcomers, he continued his hue and cry: "Alarm! Frost Folk among us! Fire is their bane! Alarm!"

OOC:
    Move Action: Stow bow.
    Free Action as part of a Move Action: Draw greatsword.
    Standard Action: Engage Frost Folk in melee.

Attack roll (greatsword): (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage (if it hits): (2d6+6)[12]
    Both rolls include the bonus from Jules' "Bless".

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mikootaktoo

Having assessed the situation, Mikootaktoo slips through the tent flap and with a look of determination approaches one of the Frost Folk from behind. As he moves, his hand darts briefly into one of the pouches on his belt. Mik reaches out to grab and twist the Frost Folk's arm...

Free action: retrieve a drop of babau slime (spell component)
    Move action: approach Frost Folk
    Touch attack to start grapple: (1d20+4)[18] (+2 more if Mik can approach from a flanking position)
    Opposed grapple check to establish hold: (1d20+10)[11]
    Unarmed strike damage, if hold established: (1d3+2)[3]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]
    Karthan's attack connects.

Daryk, there are no creatures directly in melee with you. Therefore, to make an attack, you could drop your bow (free action), move/draw, attack. The only difference being your bow on the ground instead of on your shoulder. Regardless, your hit doesn't connect.

Aghtorr, you do attempt to grapple Tel's combatant from behind. You grab him, but he shakes out of your hold, so no damage there.[/ooc]
    Last edited by lotofsnow; 2008-02-21 at 07:56 AM.
    Black Frost Champion PrC

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Jules

Jules raises his heavy mace and runs towards the injured foe while yelling in a wavering voice, "Finish the wounded one! Chaaarge!"

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 15/15
    AC: 16 (18-2 charge penalty)

Jules will charge the more severely wounded enemy (the one hit by Cog's Javelin and Rane's Arrow).

Attack Roll (including Charge Bonus): (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage Roll: (1d8)[3]

Active Spells:
    Bless: +1 to Attack and Fear Saves to all allies within 50 ft

Edit: Something tells me I missed. The rest of you can now save my sorry bum by killing him before I attempt to charge (my initiative is the last). In which case I move up to Cog and cast Cure Minor Wounds on him.

Edit 2: Actually, since he is fighting Cog already, do I get a flanking bonus?
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-02-19 at 09:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Astoral

Astoral grimaces in pain from the blow he received, but continues to battle his strangely northern foe. He brings his mace back around, keeping the flow of eldritch power steady through his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hp down to 7. I'll keep using Hideous Blow until I say otherwise.

Attack:(1d20+4)[7]
    Damage:(1d8+1)[4]
    Hideous Blow:(1d6)[3]
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

The strange, pale creature struck at Cog, the blow glancing off the Warforged's gleaming mithral plating. Cog felt a small surge of the pride a soldier of the Mithral Corp should feel, but it was a small spark in a big, cold, forge. Thinking of the Mithral Corp simply highlighted the loss of his comrades.

Cog looked at the creature with something rather like amusement. No doubt the thing had attacked him thinking him weaponless, and thus defenseless, an easy target. If his mouth were capable of it, he'd be grinning.

Cog saw tiny reflections of his own red glowing eyes as the frost creature's deep blue orbs widened in surprise at the new blade of energy growing from the warforged's hand. Cog slashed at his would-be attacker, shifting the flow of battle against his cold foe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooc: What do you know, I'm at 7 hp, too... D:
    Move Action: manifest a new mind blade
    Standard Action: Attack against the bastard that battleaxed me
    To hit: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage if it hits: (1d6+2)[3]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Tel

Fast little bugger...

With an irritated grimace, Tel shifts his grip, holding the blade vertically, with plenty of room to swing. As his adversary slows for just an instant, his sword whirls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still in Punishing Stance, regular attack this time.
    Attack roll - (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage roll - (3d6+4)[10]
    Very nice tone-setting, lotsofsnow!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Iv

"Ululululululu!" Iv Lluildinruraquekzik howled her clan battle cry as she leapt forward to the frost folk standing in the ashes. Smiling with grim delight, she waited a split second as she felt the power of her sorceries bubble around her. A Voice whispered, Now, Iv! and she swung a smashing blow at her enemy.

Spoiler
    Show

1) Move to engage the enemy; try to flank

2) Attack the enemy

To hit: (d20+26)[33] (includes +20 insight bonus from True Strike)

Damage: (d10+3)[7]
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-02-20 at 12:28 AM. Reason: typos

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, what do you know... the hotel has internet connectivity...

OOC: Sounds like a plan, since it appears none of the Frost Folk will be in a position to step on or pick up my bow. Not sure why I thought they were in melee with me, other than I was reading in a hurry.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

[ooc]A little less flair in this update. Doing it enemy by enemy, that way we know exactly who all is attacking which.[/ooc]

Frost Folk 1:
    The shadows come alive behind the Frost Folk engaged in combat with Tel. With the martial master keeping the creature occupied, it offers no resistance to Karthan's blade. With a primal howl of pain, it turns to bring up his great battleaxe. Mikootaktoo rushes to the dwarf's aid, reaching to grab the creatures upraised arm. Yet, the ax comes down upon the dwarf (3 damage to Karthan) nonetheless. Tel's attack, taking advantage of the occupied Frost Folk, strikes true, delivering a staggering blow to the monstrous humanoid, bringing the creature to one knee.

Frost Folk 2:
    Cog's foe steps back in wonder as the warforged summons a new mindblade. Mesmerized by the psionic weapon, the creature just barely manages to turn it aside, but not before having it bite briefly into his shoulder. Its confidence unshaken, the Frost Folk manages to deftly turn aside a wild attack from Rane. The elf's greatsword whistles past the creatures face, close, but no damage done. After the parry, the Frost Folk brings up his ax to catch the warforged off guard. Having seen such moves many times in his military career, Cog merely leans back, letting the ax blade go past him. Now off-balance himself, the Frost Folk can only howl in pain as Jules' heavy mace sinks into his back.

Frost Folk 3:
    Injured, Astoral eyes his opponent warily. The Frost Folk clucks at the warlock, goading him to approach. Astoral brings his mace down and the creature casually brushes it aside, causing the human to lose his balance. Ignoring a while cry from behind him, the Frost Folk jabs at the apparently defenseless warlock with his javelin. However, Astoral is ready, and the human dodges elegantly, watching with a wry smile while Iv's greatsword cuts into his enemy.

[ooc]Couple things, everyone has bless (+1 to attack rolls and saves vs. fear only). The following have flanking bonuses (+2 to attack): Karthan, Tel, Cog, Jules, Astoral, and Iv. FF1 is in really bad shape. FF2&3 aren't healthy, but they aren't ready to fall over yet either. Only 3 damage to Karthan this round. I'm telling you, dice hate me.[/ooc]
    Black Frost Champion PrC

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Jules

Heartened at his initial success, Jules takes another swing at the Frost Folk.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action: Attack Frost Folk 2
    Attack Roll (including flanking bonus): (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage Roll: (1d8)[5]
    Free Action: 5 ft step towards Cog

HP: 15/15
    AC: 16 (18-2 charge penalty)

Active Spells:
    Bless: 18 rounds remaining, +1 to Attack and Fear Saves to all allies within 50 ft

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Karthan HP: 9 AC: 15

Karthan twitched with anger slightly, after the blow from the axe. It hurt his pride as a ninja more than physically. He would have to train harder to avoid this again. Moving his thoughts away from such matters, and back to the one at hand, he span round and aimed his Kukri at the distracted creature once again

Spoiler
    Show
    If I get flanking bonus I also get sudden strike I believe. if not discount the damage

attack: (1d20+2)[12] edit: blargh, add 3 to that, I forgot to add bless and flank.
    damage: (1d4)[4]
    sudden strike: (1d6)[4]
    Last edited by Zyks; 2008-02-21 at 10:53 AM.