New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Existentialist angst 1, Plot advancement 1

I'm tired of waiting interminably for updates only to find Parson musing on the meaning of life, free will, and everything at the glacial rate of one cliche per week. I want action! Even if it means more crap golems!
    Last edited by Freederick; 2008-02-29 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Self-censorship

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Existentialist angst 1, Plot advancement 0

What you're getting in this comic is called Character Development. Specifically Bogroll.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I highly suspect the “plot” of the comic will be heavily influenced by the Parson’s philosophy. In fact I dare say the “point” of the comic is probably in what Parson thinks and learns rather than what happens.

I do agree the pace has been rather slow as of late. But the world itself is intriguing enough that it keeps me slavishly wanting more. It’s the plot, the action, and everything in between (including all the non “action”) that makes Erfworld great to me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamiress View Post
    What you're getting in this comic is called Character Development. Specifically Bogroll.
    But I don't give a RB about Bogroll's character developing! Besides, all this is leading up to is Bogroll's heroic death. Think about it: first the Parson disguise... then the death wish... and then...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

In any well written story there is no clear distinction between plot and character development. Erfworld is no exception.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

I have a suspicion that this development of Natural Thinkamancy vs Free Will is leading up to a (successful or otherwise) attempt by Parson to use the way loyalty works in Erfworld to fracture the Coalition.

Of course, I've been wrong before....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Your post and title made me laugh out loud, Freederick. Even though I'm okay with the boring "philosophical tangent and foreshadowing" comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    But I don't give a RB about Bogroll's character developing! Besides, all this is leading up to is Bogroll's heroic death. Think about it: first the Parson disguise... then the death wish... and then...
    Is RB "a rat's boop?" That made me happy.

I'm hoping you're wrong on this, but because I like Bogroll, not because your logic isn't relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    I have a suspicion that this development of Natural Thinkamancy vs Free Will is leading up to a (successful or otherwise) attempt by Parson to use the way loyalty works in Erfworld to fracture the Coalition.
    Me too, but I still can't see how.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

I don't mind the lull before the clusterboop.
    Also, does Bogroll's comment on what he wants reflect something approaching a no-strings-attached choice; or is it just a manifistation of the loyalty trait coming into play to some degree? After all, Parson may not be the head ruler, but right now he's the highest-ranking resident 'unit' in Gobwin's Knob.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm starting to wonder if we will see the battle for Gobwin Knob as a real battle. It may be more of a event that gets avoided.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I agree that there are currently plenty of flashing neon red signs pointing to Bogroll taking a hit for Parson.. but I still have a slim hope for some kind of twist regarding that..

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34
    I'm starting to wonder if we will see the battle for Gobwin Knob as a real battle. It may be more of a event that gets avoided.
    I'm pretty sure that what we've been watching IS the battle.. which is to say, it's not going to get any more action-graphic-hack-slash than it is now. I believe I remember the creators stating that the comic wasn't about that, back when they visited and participated in the forums.
    Last edited by Harr; 2008-02-17 at 04:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

either way sleepy time now = 2 turns tomarrow
    On the first day of Dnd my dm gave to me
    http://filbolg.wordpress.com/

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I have to admit, I find "I don't give a RB about Bogroll's character developing" hard to reconcile with Bogroll's death making you go .

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind View Post
    Is RB "a rat's boop?" That made me happy.
    In short, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I have to admit, I find "I don't give a RB about Bogroll's character developing" hard to reconcile with Bogroll's death making you go .
    The was intended to represent Bogroll, not me. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had used this smiley instead:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logos7 View Post
    either way sleepy time now = 2 turns tomarrow
    Yeah, it feels like this night has gone on forever, though it's only been five comics or so. Back to the action!

Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had used this smiley instead:
    Ha!

You know, the longer I wait, the more I agree with the original post.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Yeah, it feels like this night has gone on forever, though it's only been five comics or so. Back to the action!
    It has been forever, and it has been five or so comics.

You can tell, just looking at this forum - there's like four threads updated "today" and "yesterday" at any given time, the rest of it languishes. In a previous era, there'd be two pages of active discussion and excitement.

The comic is on ... well calling it the "wrong" track is arguable since obviously the authors are the ones with a Vision for where they want to take it, and arguing with The Vision doesn't get people anywhere. But it is fair to question what exactly their intentions and overall goals are and what methods they are choosing to get there, when the goals that seem reasonably apparent and inherent in the nature of making a webcomic in the first place are so diametrically opposed to the results of what they are actually doing.

In fact I question whether it is entirely appropriate to have this on the same site as OotS.

Nothing to be done about it though.
    Last edited by Rollory; 2008-02-21 at 10:06 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

A few strips ago when stuff was actually happening I was looking forward to Erf more than OotS. But now the comic is just freaking boring.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still quite pleased to see the updates. It's obvious that a lot of work went into this site and comic. I'm happy to be able to visit and catch up once in a while.

/puts pompoms down

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Disguise? I did not get that. I just assumed he was wearing Parson's Livery, which includes a crest composed of the Hamstard and a Pizza Stain. Why would he wear a Parson disguise when only about half the GK monsters have seen him so far and none of Ansom's forces even know he exists?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zippthorne View Post
    Disguise? I did not get that. I just assumed he was wearing Parson's Livery, which includes a crest composed of the Hamstard and a Pizza Stain. Why would he wear a Parson disguise when only about half the GK monsters have seen him so far and none of Ansom's forces even know he exists?
    And when, as several people noted already, it couldn't possibly work (even if it was an actual good disguise) because Bogroll has visible stats (that include his name) and Parson doesn't.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zippthorne View Post
    I think it's more the case that, while Bogroll meant it simply as livery (along with obeying Parson's joke command "pretend you're me and get some sleep"), it might very well function as a disguise. Of course, given that commanders and the like can see stats for units, SteveMB has a point that a non-magical might be ineffective. But we don't necessarily know that seeing a unit's stats is a magical effect or what.... In short, we've yet to see how Erfworld's rules would represent mistaken identity, if they're even capable of it.

But, I agree, the last couple of updates have left me a little... underwhelmed. I liked getting Jillian's backstory. And, if the next strip doesn't launch us into SOME kind of action (whether open warfare or backstage machinations), it would be very... odd. This feels like a build up strip.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Existentialist angst 1, Plot advancement 1

It's moving forward now, thank the Titans. And moving with style: GÖLEM! Priceless.

This thread is now officially over.