New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 96 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 86

Quote Originally Posted by Kandarin View Post
    It may just be me, but the stats for Transylvito put a much more sinister light on Ansom's comments here.

It seems to me that Ansom was willing to risk Vinnie in part because Vinnie's side contributes so little. As far as we know Transylvito's contribution is just one warlord and a handful of bats, so if that was lost it wouldn't exactly break the coalition.
    No, I think he wanted to send Vinny because:
    1) He didn't want Jillian to get captured again. He does, after all, love her. It is not uncommon to try to protect the ones you love (even if they don't want you to).

2) He has consistently shown that he trusts Vinny more than he trusts Jillian. getting recon data from an untrustworthy source is in many ways worse than no data at all.

EDIT: Vinny also isn't just 'a warlord'. He is also Ansom's best friend, adviser, and trusted confidant. You don't throw that away because all he brings to the fight are a few dozen wimpy bats.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-02-25 at 10:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Notice that dawn happens at GK first (the Stupid Meal materializes at the break of dawn, in panel 2), while Stanley is still waiting for dawn in panel 4; the break of dawn reaches Stanley when dwagons despoof in panel 5. Assuming that Erf's sun travels from East to West, this delay would indicate that Stanley's forces are located farther to the west than GK. He orders westerly movement in panel 6, so he's moving even farther away.

The strip also gives some indication about spell duration; while uncroaking spells seem to be permanent (the undead army doesn't fall apart at turn-end), it would appear that cloaking spells expire at dawn.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

It may just be me, but the stats for Transylvito put a much more sinister light on Ansom's comments here.

It seems to me that Ansom was willing to risk Vinnie in part because Vinnie's side contributes so little. As far as we know Transylvito's contribution is just one warlord and a handful of bats, so if that was lost it wouldn't exactly break the coalition.
    I don't think that's it -- the number of units under "Barbarian" (presumably Jillian and her gwiffons) is lower still (admittedly, each gwiffon is apparently a stronger fighter than each doombat).

The comments in fenderin's post seem like more plausible reasons to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    Notice that dawn happens at GK first (the Stupid Meal materializes at the break of dawn, in panel 2), while Stanley is still waiting for dawn in panel 4; the break of dawn reaches Stanley when dwagons despoof in panel 5. Assuming that Erf's sun travels from East to West, this delay would indicate that Stanley's forces are located farther to the west than GK. He orders westerly movement in panel 6, so he's moving even farther away.
    I think it's just a depiction of two events both happening "at dawn". Note that Erfworld is described as having "simple" mechanics -- for all we know, it's flat (dawn happens everywhere at the same time, and the hex grid doesn't need any special complications).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-02-25 at 12:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    So far, Parson got Paper 3D-goggles (cheap), the battle-calculator is just a hard plastic sleeve acting as an interfact to his calculator-clock, a toy sword hilt, and now the ricasso.
    Ok, there was no statement about the material of the sword, but from the continuing "toy" aspect, I would not expect it to be a made of real steel.
    consider also that one of the holiest and most powerful artifacts in this world is a "toy" hammer of appeance to those given to infants on our world. Yet it's at least capable of hitting hard enough to crack walnuts in addition to the summoning effects. An earth toy hammer couldn't do that.

This sword could be made of foam and still be the most powerful offensive weapon a warlord has ever seen.
    Last edited by kagato23; 2008-02-25 at 02:01 PM.
    /co/ is love.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    Parson is there to do planning, strategy and command troops, not fighting.
    I cannot imagine that they don't have some spare weapons in the headquarter, so it shouldn't be a problem to just give him some standard weapon - sword, axe, mace, etc.
    So, if the process of equipping Parson with a weapon is that involved as we have seen, I expect something special.
    I have no objection to Parson having a weapon, even a special weapon, but I think that if it ends up being pivotal to GK's victory/survival (instead of some clever/brilliant strategic decision on Parson's part), it would be widely derided as an a$$pull
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBrowncoat View Post
    I have no objection to Parson having a weapon, even a special weapon, but I think that if it ends up being pivotal to GK's victory/survival (instead of some clever/brilliant strategic decision on Parson's part), it would be widely derided as an a$$pull
    Indeed. .....dots for length.....

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

While i support the opinion that Parson is in no way trained or prepared for combat, i would love to see a panel from Ansom's or Vinnie's point of view with the giant form of Parson wading through their troops with a huge great sword while screaming some classic video game battle cry. such as "Moove out!", "Leeroy Jenkins", "For the Horde", ect.
    Not to mention them seeing him without any Stats.

And we still do not know what "special" could be referring to, i do not buy into the idea that it refers to him being from another world. I believe there is something else he has up his sleeve. Whether he knows it or not.

Oh, and is anyone else getting tired of hearing about a "Lightgreatsword"?
    Whether it is the case or not, i wish it would stop being brought up (hajo).
    I will admit, it would be cool. Still, i do not think it is reasonable to believe that is the case anymore, while it was just a hilt, maybe, but now that he is obviously assembling an actual sword, i greatly doubt the possibility of a Lightsaber type weapon.

Just my thoughts.
    Pixie?

Sweeet.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    The strip also gives some indication about spell duration; while uncroaking spells seem to be permanent (the undead army doesn't fall apart at turn-end), it would appear that cloaking spells expire at dawn.
    So much for planting an army with a foolamancer along a likely road and waiting forever to ambush an approaching enemy.

Not too surprising, though. If it could persist until canceled, a side with a foolamancer could leave an army veiled as long as it had its upkeep. Perhaps Stanley could have immediately renewed the veil if he weren't going to move first.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBrowncoat View Post
    ... I think that if it ends up being pivotal to GK's victory/survival (instead of some clever/brilliant strategic decision on Parson's part), it would be widely derided as an a$$pull
    I agree.

Props for linking TV Tropes. That site's more addictive than Wikipedia for informational time-wasting.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post
    I'd just like to interject that the Arkenhammer is, in fact, a plastic toy croquet mallet.

Edit: and the look of concentration on Bogroll's face as he attaches the ricasso is awesome.

Oh, and:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't believe I'm about to argue about this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously. I'm having an internal tug-o-war with my typing fingers as I type this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gah! Self...control...fading...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright. You win. You're misreading the picture of Parson with his eyeBook.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's all I'll say. Look again, Balzac.
    It's very vindicating to see someone else do that :)

Spoiler
    Show
    Parson's face is square with his shoulders.
    Spoiler
    Show
    His hips are square with his shoulders.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's looking straight forward.
    Spoiler
    Show
    At his eyeBook.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which rests on his huge nads.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can ask Jamie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm certain he'll confirm this.
    -2 Cursed Keyboard of Typos.

Official Commentary by

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

There is no I in TEAM.

However, there are at least two I's in COALITION.

Just saying.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

He wanted to send the DOOMBATS...not Vinnie

Vinnie is his friend, bot the doombats seem cheaper than rescuing Jillian.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zeropsm View Post
    He wanted to send the DOOMBATS...not Vinnie

Vinnie is his friend, bot the doombats seem cheaper than rescuing Jillian.
    He said "I'll send Vinnie Doombats", indicating that he intended to send him. (Now that we know that Vinny can see what his bats see, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just send the bats, unless there's a range limit or something.)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    He said "I'll send Vinnie Doombats", indicating that he intended to send him. (Now that we know that Vinny can see what his bats see, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just send the bats, unless there's a range limit or something.)
    Unless, and this is a stretch, that is a typo and supposed to be 'Vinnie's Doombats'.

Unlikely though. The better explanation is, as you have said, to increase the effective range of the batscouts.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Gentlemen, I believe I have it.

Parson's Sword isn't going to be anything special. It isn't going to be magic. It is going to be a sharp, long, hunk of mundane steel.

None of his other toys are explicitly said to be magical. After reading the bit about his mathamancy sleeve thing, it never says it actually is an artifact or anything. And they don't look like the other artifacts.

What makes it special is that there is nothing else like it.

Look at everyone else:

Jillian wields a massive, physics-defying sword thingy.

Ansom hits things with a pair of artifact pliers. This is somehow capable of killing a massive dragon in a single blow.

This all happens because of stats. Ansom, with these stats, at this level, with this weapon, can do this much damage in a single blow, which kills the dwagon.

This works in reverse, too. Jillian manages to survive, after being inside the jaws of a dwagon

Parson does not have stats. There has been speculation that this allows him to do things.

I say it does not allow him to do anything... Which is an advantage against an inordinately powerful 2-foot tall plier-wielding Warlord. As sad as it is to say, I'd take the mundane weapon.

Fortunately for us, Parson is an ambulatory blob, and totally incompetent at fighting. Of course, he would not be able to kill a few dozen marbits like any normal warlord on this world would.. and I'm betting he couldn't kill even ONE Dwagon.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry I don't get what you're saying here

Do you mean the sword will allow him to treat the world like Earth, with normal physics, so all the stat stuff like the large sword and pliers wont work against him? But if he pokes the sword into someone they will die as they would in the real world.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

I do believe he is trying to be sarcastic... but i'm really not sure.

Sarcastic or nonsensical, I think.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

No he has an interesting point. Rob could be playing the story that way. Perhaps the silly magical stuff of earthworld really is mundane to him and Ansom is armed with nothing more powerful than a pair of pliers. In that case a sharp sword wielded---albeit clumsily---by a giant like Parson might be awesome.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    No he has an interesting point. Rob could be playing the story that way. Perhaps the silly magical stuff of earthworld really is mundane to him and Ansom is armed with nothing more powerful than a pair of pliers. In that case a sharp sword wielded---albeit clumsily---by a giant like Parson might be awesome.
    Ok, when you put it that way, I get it. Shazbot's post still confuses me.

Anyway, while I can imagine that happening (complete with a BONK sound effect when Ansom hits Parson with the pliers and nothing happens), I really hope it doesn't. That would be another 'god mode' solution to his problem, which I would find to be a rather poor way to end the story arc.
    Same thing if the sword(or his lack of stats) makes him an uber-combatant. It takes all the oomph out of the storyline and I might as well watch pro wrestling. (yech)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

I will say one thing for this story: it's generally quite unpredictable. I have no idea what Ansom intends to do to the city now that Stanley is no longer in it, for example...
    RSS! RSS! RSS! RSS!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Ok, when you put it that way, I get it. Shazbot's post still confuses me.

Anyway, while I can imagine that happening (complete with a BONK sound effect when Ansom hits Parson with the pliers and nothing happens), I really hope it doesn't. That would be another 'god mode' solution to his problem, which I would find to be a rather poor way to end the story arc.
    Same thing if the sword(or his lack of stats) makes him an uber-combatant. It takes all the oomph out of the storyline and I might as well watch pro wrestling. (yech)
    Not really. Remember the overall physics of the world still apply to everybody else. They don't have to kill parson to win. They take down his city, he still "looses." An invincible warlord is still just one guy if they take out his army.

He might be able to get one or two amazing victories with this, but it woudln't be enough on it's own to win the day.

And they do have bows and arrows. That'll kill him real fast, especially if he's the only guy left standing after the city falls and the rest are disbanded.
    /co/ is love.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

1 guy with a sword may be invincible, so what?

If he is the size of Parson and with his speed (of 1) it'll take him 50+ (estimated) turns to get to the next enemy city. Even when he gets there what could he possibly do? He could start fires to burn the city and fight off the firemen and try to croak some important personalities but that's just about it.

Of course since this is a game he could attack a hex and fight all enemies there one by one (though this will work only once, after that he will be avoided). Ah, well, I still hope there will be no god mode
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by ryos View Post
    I have no idea what Ansom intends to do to the city now that Stanley is no longer in it, for example...
    I think it is quite clear that he still is going to attack and trying to conquer GK. After all, organizing the army and the alliance took some serious effort.
    And Stanley could return to GK if Ansom wouldn't take it...
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

23. - Top - End - #113

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot View Post
    Gentlemen, I believe I have it.

Parson's Sword isn't going to be anything special. It isn't going to be magic. It is going to be a sharp, long, hunk of mundane steel.

None of his other toys are explicitly said to be magical. After reading the bit about his mathamancy sleeve thing, it never says it actually is an artifact or anything. And they don't look like the other artifacts.

What makes it special is that there is nothing else like it.

Look at everyone else:

Jillian wields a massive, physics-defying sword thingy.

Ansom hits things with a pair of artifact pliers. This is somehow capable of killing a massive dragon in a single blow.

This all happens because of stats. Ansom, with these stats, at this level, with this weapon, can do this much damage in a single blow, which kills the dwagon.

This works in reverse, too. Jillian manages to survive, after being inside the jaws of a dwagon

Parson does not have stats. There has been speculation that this allows him to do things.

I say it does not allow him to do anything... Which is an advantage against an inordinately powerful 2-foot tall plier-wielding Warlord. As sad as it is to say, I'd take the mundane weapon.

Fortunately for us, Parson is an ambulatory blob, and totally incompetent at fighting. Of course, he would not be able to kill a few dozen marbits like any normal warlord on this world would.. and I'm betting he couldn't kill even ONE Dwagon.
    Considering the gwiffons seems to be made out of marshmallow and the dwagons from similar fluff, I dont see why not the 6 feet tall Parson, in a world where normal is 3 feet, could not with a sufficiently sharp sword behead a dwagon.

Now actually HITTING one without dying is another matter, I'm just hinting at the possibilty to be able to do some damage from sheer size in selfdefense.

Him being without stats (kinda, we know from the other units under his command that he adds +2 leadership bonus to them. A fairly nonimpressive bonus apparently) does imply that not all stat rules apply to him. Some do, admittivly. But its fun to theorize about.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khanderas View Post
    Him being without stats (kinda, we know from the other units under his command that he adds +2 leadership bonus to them. A fairly nonimpressive bonus apparently) does imply that not all stat rules apply to him. Some do, admittivly. But its fun to theorize about.
    Except that we don't know that he 'doesn't have stats'. In fact, we have two pieces of (inconclusive) evidence that he DOES have stats, just not visible to others.

1) As you pointed out, the leadership bonus.
    2) Parson theorizes that it is Duty that is compelling him to fight a war in which he has little to know personal stake, when he could instead pursue diplomacy (probably successfully) to ensure his and his friend's survival... at the cost of the city, perhaps, but so what? That is an infinitely better option for Parson than fighting, and yet he fights anyway. And has no explanation for it but Duty.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

But Jillian's reply indicates that no, the bats are important and needed.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    But Jillian's reply indicates that no, the bats are important and needed.
    Actually Gillian replyes that doombats are slow and weak, useful only for short range scouting.
    I suppose that using Vinnie as a scout is only due is natural speed (matches with Ansom, that seems to be a fast flyer on his carpet).

ABOUT STUPID MEALS
    I didn't know of Subway (there is no one in Italia, as far as I know), so I erred. Parson is still getting fast-food, just of a different type (more healthy, anyway). It's just not named "stupid" anymore, but I admit that it's not very indicative.

Laurentio
    Last edited by Laurentio; 2008-02-29 at 06:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow, after this long and 4 pages of posting, I can't believe nobody appears to have cleared this up - unless it slipped under my radar maybe?

Sofa king is, as earlier mentioned, part of a playground game for elementary schoolkids. For example, "Read this sentence as loud as you can: 'I am sofa king we todd did'." If you still don't get it from reading that in your head, please go to your school or workplace and read that sentence at full volume. Someone will surely be able to help you. ;)

Clearly the Sofa King is the ruler of those irascible Gumps, who are the only "we todd did" characters we've seen so far.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.