New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Foxmud Shout Out

Just a footnote. Listing "Foxmud" as one of the sides in the Coalition was only a shout-out to FoxMUD, my old, OLD, stomping grounds.

FoxMUD is a classic Diku-style (though totally recoded) Multi User Dungeon. Starting back in the early 90s, I spent many hours building areas there, under the name "Talisman." My favorites are the giant sandcastle full of crab people, and the magical portrait gallery where the paintings morph to life if attacked. You can still sometimes see me on the Who list there. If you feel like checking it out, point your Telnet client at:

telnet://foxmud.com:4848

or play by Java applet by clicking Connect to FoxMUD here:

http://www.thancode.org/

I just wanted to explain that FoxMUD is not a piece of performance art like hamstard.com. It has nothing to do with Erfworld (though I have given them permission to someday build an Erfworld-themed area). Parson was not a player there, etc. It's just a place I love, with some work I am still proud of.
    Last edited by pclips; 2008-02-22 at 04:40 PM.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxmud Shout Out

Hey, Talisman. As soon as I saw the reference I headed for the forum, and was disappointed to see no replies. Hope you're happy; I signed up just to post here: I was Raven, WAY back when, and hung out with Saria. We started back around '94, when Throm (I think) was running the show, and played for a very long time. I have some fond memories of triggering the morphs on your portraits and then stealing the items, until that bug got fixed.

Don't mud that much anymore, but couldn't resist the urge to shout back.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Heya Talisman and Raven!

This is Crimson, still coding areas, eq and stuff and having a ball. Good to hear from ya.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Heh, awesome. Hey Raven and Crimson. Maybe we'll hear from more old FoxMUD folks. Always wondered what happened to Bloodstain, for example.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

smile Re: Foxmud Shout Out

Hey Talisman Yeah, after more than a decade and a half of running into each other online, it's great to 'see' so many folks appreciating your work (along with Jamie's work here on Erfworld)! Ah, the memories, the lack of sleep, the MUD-ing! Heheh ... oh, you have a webcomic? (jk)

Last time I saw, Bloodstain stopped by Fox quite briefly in mid 2002, but hadn't been on for some time before that. Hopefully she'll stop by again someday. For a lot of folks, Fox is a fond memory from days of old (read: college), while new folks continue to discover us. And as Talisman the Worldsmith knows, it's great writing that makes all the difference (along with really cool folks). Thanks Tal! (And Rich, both for hosting all this, and providing me with daily eager anticipation as I check for new strips -- I know, I could get update notices, but I like to check in and be surprised! )

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Holy crap, it's Crimson! I used to worship you, literally and figuratively. Lot of good memories of scouring your tavern. Never did manage to complete the quest. Good to hear that you're still at it.

Saria says hi too. She was very easy to contact, since we're married. Who would have guessed, right?

Of the three of you, I believe I've seen Sygis most recently. I stopped by Fox a few years back out of curiosity, and guess who was still chomping at the bit.

It's kind of sad to see the state of MUDs these days, though not unexpected. The subject was mentioned in a recent documentary, Rise of the Video Game, so we have not been completely obscured.

Addendum: Is 208 one of your zone numbers, or was it chosen randomly? Or, perhaps, is there some other significance that has eluded me?
    Last edited by HazeRaven; 2008-02-23 at 12:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RAVEN!!!!!!!

Hoka Hey! Congratulations to you and Saria. 208 isn't one of our domain numbers as far as I can tell... Hmm...

We're at foxmud.com 4848 at the moment. I've actually managed to get a mortal past level 30 *laugh* and am still building. The mud has added a lot of new areas so now I can explore new lands, seek out new life and new civilizations, then put them to the sword. *laugh*

Great to hear from you!

Crimson