New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Eberron: Merylsward Exhumed

Aesop

OOG: Sorry this post is so long. Character development is hard, and Aesop has to realize he can Fascinate SOMEtime before we gain a level, so here goes. Suggested listening for this post: "Gonna Fly Now" by Bill Conti.

As the tension in the tavern escalates, Aesop gets increasingly agitated. Not that he's worried for Wrex's safety after seeing what he could do against those highwaymen earlier; he just doesn't want to see a barfight upstage what has been a perfectly good performance so far (OOG: Btw, I'm making the standard Perform check for tips). Dammit, Wrex, not while I'm working... Of course, Aesop can't interfere with kind words the way he usually does without disrupting his performance just as badly. What a dilemma. Maybe I could throw an intermission in here somewhere and defuse this whole thing before starting up again? It becomes clear when everyone stands up, though, that he has no time. Crap crap crap crap. Gotta make them all sit down and start paying attention to me again.

Racking his brain for something to do, Aesop suddenly remembers a night kind of like this one, in a tavern kind of like this one, when a drunk kind of like that one had made some menacing moves kind of like the ones that guy just made. Aesop had panicked, kind of like he's in danger of doing now, and had just told his story a little... harder maybe? That doesn't seem like the right word, but there was definitely a different kind of fervor behind it. Anyway, the drunk had just stood there, dumbstruck, until he forgot what he was angry about, and Aesop didn't even have to stop his performance. That would be pretty convenient right about now. Hell, it's worth a shot. Worst case, Wrex knocks that guy out and Aesop has to pay for his own room for a change. He can afford it now anyway.

Here goes nothing... Before Drunk Guy Number One can say that again to Wrex's face, Aesop pours his heart into his storytelling, which had started to slow due to Aesop's distraction, and concentrates really hard on getting that idiot's attention and making him shut up.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes rubs his left arm again before pulling a loose bit of wool out of his pocket. Not one for bar fights and slow to release anything concussive in the tight confines of the pub, Orestes begins to sweat a bit. Focusing intently on Aesop's fable (...) Orestes presses the fleece into his left palm and, mumbling inaudibly under his breath, casts silent image. After a few seconds whom or whatever the protagonist of the story is appears in a ghostly haze between Aesop and the crowd, illustrating the bard's tale (...).

If the storytelling plan falls through Orestes rolls up his sleeves and waits.
    Last edited by Zoobity; 2008-03-30 at 11:47 PM.
    I roll 20s

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

Ajaba grinned as he sat down. "Well I'm here to make a living as well as you I see." He let out an unsettling chuckle, "as for being this far out of Darguun, I was with a pack of three other Gnolls until our employer decided to cut the funds, placing me here in this backwater town waiting for the next opportunity to get out of here."
    Ajaba looks around and says, " as for the war, I fought in Breland, Cyre, and Darguun. I ran with my pack looking to taste some elf flesh and some coin. Saw a few battles, made freinds and feasted on my enemies." He grinned, "just doing official buisness."
    With the mentioning of the Silver Flame, Ajaba lets out a growl of approval that turns into a bark when the drunken men stand up. In common mixed with a menacing growl Ajaba says, "You should sit down, its been too long since Ive tasted flesh of a Man."
    He looks to Wrex, "You look like you're good in a fight, watch my back. I might even let you get a punch in." Ajaba stands to full hieght and looks down on the man, "sir it is my job, no matter how pathetic it may be to keep the peace in this place. Now I'm going to ask you one more time to back off, or it will be your blood on the floor." He smiled, "and what is left of you on my plate."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan
    Delan sets down his knife and piece of wood as the conversation turns heated. He looks at Wrex and shakes his head but doesn't say anything. He knows that provoking either side will only cause problems. He does rise slowly to his full height and move towards the gathering. He has been in the corner long enough and he wants to be close if something needs to be done.

Seeing the small image form in front of the drunks, Delan hopes that they are distracted long enough that everyone loses interest. Only problems could come of interfering while there is a chance of reconciliation.

If things look like they are taking a turn for the worst, Delan touches his chest and whispers softly. The words are ancient magic but he calls to the Host to protect him (Shield of Faith) and then steps between the groups. "Hold!" he yells at them and uses his body as a barrier. "There is no reason for fighting, especially between those who are better served by working together." Delan is not a particularly strong warforged but he's tough and willing to let a drunk punch him and hurt his hand.
    You're part of something larger now. It's like you've been eaten...by something larger.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

XV What a Show!

OOG: I am going to mess with the post order for maximum effectiveness. Mea Culpa

Ajaba rises and snarls his words at the drunks. As Wrex and Delan stand to join him, the combined menacing presence of three bruisers knocks the fire out of the drunkards (synergy bonus part 1). Just as the drunks are beginning to step backwards and look at one another doubtfully, Aesop kicks his performance into high gear. As he weaves his tale Orestes quickly adds his magic image to help fascinate the drunks (synergy bonus part 2). The multimedia show manages to grab the attention of everyone in the pub. Aesop keeps his story cranking, but not for too long, knowing that it is best not to drag things on and diminish the show. As he finishes his tale everyone who was previously standing realizes that they have found their seats again. The patrons of the pub begin to clap and cheer as Aesop finishes his tale. Coins are tossed in his direction and a drunk or two rushes forward to shake his hand. One of the men by the bar makes eye contact with Orestes and nods knowingly in his direction. The barkeep approaches Aesop and extends his hand. “That little show was worth a night’s stay for sure. My bar will be packed tomorrow if word spreads around town about you. Will you be here tomorrow?”

The rest of the night passes without event and you all get rooms in the inn if you’d like, free of charge. Aesop collects 10g from tips for his show. Dawn breaks and you find yourself with a day to kill in the small frontier town of Owl’s Perch.

Note: (I am fast forwarding a bit to keep things rolling. Retro-post your activities if you want to do anything particularly sweet).

However you spend your day, it passes by and the following morning you rise and meet Barley and the others at the wagons. As you saddle up, Ajaba comes walking towards the wagon train. Rhyn is nowhere to be found and hasn't been seen since the train first arrived.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

6. - Top - End - #66

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

Aesop grins at the barman. "We'll be here 'til the morning after that, actually, and I think it'd be safe to expect me here tomorrow night, yes. Now, if I could get another ale and maybe some beefsteak?" Aesop is trying to leave this phase of his life behind him, yes, but the rush of what just happened excites him a little bit and he wants to try it again. (OOG: That sentence would sound strange out of context...) He's not sure whether there really is some kind of strange and mystical power in his stories or whether he just had a really good night, but it's clear to him that, for whatever reason, he can do much more with his words than he had previously believed. He'll definitely have to look into this a little further.

Aesop spends most of the next day preparing for his encore performance while practicing archery, and the following night he entertains the tavern's customers again with the story of Saladin the rogue urchin and his magic Wand of Summon Djinn. He doesn't have Orestes' knack for images, but he dabbles into a little special effects of his own with a couple of Ghost Sound spells, and Fascinates the crowd again at the story's climax. This new talent of his isn't worth much if he can't do it a second time.

As the wagons prepare to leave, Aesop notices Rhyn's absence, but doesn't think too much of it. The half-elf had been a good fighter, but had seemed to Aesop to be a strange quiet sort--not the kind of person Aesop gets along with at all. He'd half expected something like this to happen with him. After his successes in advertising the group, he expects a couple of new recruits anyway. As the gnoll bouncer approaches the caravan, Aesop grins. "Hi! Come to wave your farewell as we fade into the distance? Or does working a tavern not give you enough opportunities to eat people? Well, if you'd like work, you'll be wanting to speak with Barley. The big guy who likes the sound of his own voice even more than I like mine. Go and speak with him; I'll see you around."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

After the humans backed down Ajaba shook his head in disgust, humans never had a spinehe thought. Ajaba turned around to see what the bard was doing and watched as the cantrips danced around. As he watched the performance, Ajaba looked at Delan, "You know I fought against your kind in the War... Amazing fighters, almost impossible to kill and my what weapon smiths. See these scimitars? They were forged with blessings to break through that armor of yours." With a laugh Ajaba walked over to the Goblins and said, "Tell me about this group that you're both in." Ajaba tries to get as much out of the hobgoblin and goblin as he can about the group. Its been a while since he's seen fellow creatures from Darguun and he talks to them for as long as they stay in the pub that night.
    The following day Ajaba reads up on the poster about the job position. It would be nice to get out of this dump. I would love to be out on the road again, all these Scimitars are good for in here is for show.... I would love to get to use them again. He stays around the pub thinking to himself about joining the group and towards the afternoon he goes and speaks with the manager and says that he is going to be leaving in the morning with the travelers. No matter the reaction, Ajaba has his mind set to leave this town. Later that night he looks at the Bard performing again and wonders, I wonder if that pointy ears is any good in a fight? Ajaba goes over to the two Goblins if they are there in the bar that night to talk but if they aren't there he goes to get sleep, he has to wake up in the morning.
    The next morning, Ajaba gets ready to leave and shows up to the train on time, when the bard hails him Ajaba just looks at him then walks toward the elf said Barley would be. "If you really want to get anywhere in this place you'll need two things elf. One, a good tracker and two, someone who knows the lay of the land. And I seem top have both of those qualities. Besides I need to get out of that human town, and you all seem to need the assistance." With that Ajaba walks over to Barley and says, "I heard that you need assistance for your travels, I'd like to apply for a position. The name's Ajaba, probably the best tracker around in these parts. I don't need that much pay I work long and hard and the only thing that I won't kill are other gnolls. So what do you say?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

During the day, Orestes spends his time wandering the village, looking for the odd sorts of places that deal in tomes and folklore. However, he checks in with the wagon train several times throughout the day.

That night, at the bar, Orestes shows up to catch Aesop's show but has no intention of casting any spells. He sits back, leans against the bar, nursing a pint with his arms folded across his chest.

Back at the wagons the next morning Orestes is laying back in Wrex's wagon, flipping through his (mostly empty) spell book, wondering whatever happened to Rhyn. When Ajaba arrives he stows his stuff under the tarp and heads over to the gnoll. He nods after Ajaba greets the group and says in goblin, "I'm not so sure we NEED you, and I can't speak for Wrex, but I'd be glad to have some muscle along." He waits until the train gets moving before hopping back in again.
    I roll 20s

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

XVI A Dire Situation

Aesop puts on another performance, this time to a much more crowded pub. He manages to deliver another good show and this time receives 36g in tips from the crowd. Again the innkeeper/barman puts the party up for the night, free of charge.

Wagon Train
    Ajaba introduces himself to Barley who looks plainly back at him. “Suit yourself. Welcome to the wagon train. Yours is in the back with the others.” Looking around, he says “Say, where’d that other half-elf get too? We’ve got to be taking off. I’ll give him another minute or two, and then we’re leaving without him.” As expected, Rhyn makes no appearance and since nobody goes looking for him, the wagon trains take off.

Three days into the journey, after traveling over countryside and scattered farmland, the road enters another forest. During your trip you have encountered almost no other travelers save for a farmer or two transporting grain. As you travel in the woods you come upon a wrecked wagon lying smashed against the trees on the left side of the road. A path of snapped sapling and scraped trees leads from the right side of the road straight into the wagon which has split in twain as it was slammed into the woods. Two bodies lie on the road before you. To your left a similar smashed trail leads into the woods. At least two distinct voices can be heard screaming from off to your left, one of which is female and sounds quite terrified.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

10. - Top - End - #70

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

After Aesop gets paid, he gives Orestes 5 gp, half of his first night's take. "Here, at least some of this belongs to you after you helped me out last night. That was a pretty neat trick." He grins. "40 gold with free food and lodgings isn't too bad for two nights' work, eh? Reminds me of how I got into that business in the first place, but then anything gets old once you've been doing it for a hundred years. About time to make something of myself anyway." He raises his mug. "Here's to making our mark on the world, one dead town at a time, right?"

The next day, when Aesop sees the wagon wreck, he draws his bow. "Careful, guys. Here's trouble." He cautiously approaches the wagon to investigate until he notices the screaming, at which point he runs off urgently in the direction where it came from until he can see what's going on.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes hops out of the wagon and draws his crossbow before running over to the two bodies. First he checks to see if they're alive. If they are he calls for the clerics. If not he tries to determine how they received their wounds. After that he moves quickly into the woods, following Aesop from a safe distance, being sure to keep a tree between himself and the threat.
    I roll 20s

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

OOG: I posted but apparently it didn't stick. I wrote quite a big post... oh well.

Delan

Delan wanders with Orestes the next day and chats with him as he looks around the town. During the night, he widdles and wanders around town looking at the stars. He loves watching the stars late at night because he feels that it must be like sleep, peaceful.

At the crash, Delan jumps out and begins to run down the path made in the trees as the woman screams. As he runs, he casts shield of faith on himself with a small muttered prayer to the Host. He doesn't wait for the others because he thinks it may be too late if they all try to slink or sneak.
    You're part of something larger now. It's like you've been eaten...by something larger.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

XVII Well, this trip certainly isn’t boaring…

Orestes quickly checks the two bodies and finds that the second man is alive but unconscious. He has a large gore wound on the lower left side of his stomach that looks fatal. The cleric and his children quickly hop out of their cart and rush over to the fallen man. Following the screams, the four of you rush into the woods following the broken trail. Wrex and Bin chase after you. Delan casts his spell upon himself as you hustle the hundred yards of broken trees to the following scene:

A small clearing in the woods reveals a dire situation. A massive boar, covered in molted tough skin and spiny armor stands with an arched back taller than even Delan. Half clutching, half skewered on its back is a middle aged human woman from whom the screams are coming from. She desperately holds onto one of the other boar’s spikes as it thrashes about and slams into the tree in front of it. Her dress is red and you can just make out a spike protruding from her left leg. The tree under assault is a particularly ancient oak with massive roots arching from the ground. Beneath one of these roots is a human man, trying his best to use the root as cover as he jabs feebly at the boar with a short sword. The boar grunts and roars (boars roar, right?) as it foams at the mouth and its devilish eyes gleam. You approach the scene from the boar’s back right. It does not see you.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

14. - Top - End - #74

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

Aesop gapes. What the hell is that thing doing here? Is it native, or what? He's not entirely sure what he can do against a beast that size, but he has to save those people... He raises his left hand into the air and slowly counts to three with his fingers. On three, he pulls out an arrow and fires, expecting others to do the same. Maybe if they all shoot at the same time, they can do some damage...

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the others attack the creature, Delan steps in front of them so as to be the first target that the beast sees once he is attacked. Hopefully his armor, his shield and his spells will protect him while the others stop the creature.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

From his cover behind the trees, Orestes focuses his mind on the rear knees of the boar, casting True Strike. When he gets a chance he swings out of cover and fires a bolt at the boar's back legs.
    I roll 20s

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Ajaba draws his scimitars and watches the Boar. As Delan stands in front trying to grab the attention of the beast, Ajaba sneaks off to the back using the treeline for cover. Ajaba sees Orestes shoot the boar in the knee and prepares for a strike at the other knee.
    "We need to keep it from moving! Take out its legs!" Ajaba yells as he lunges for the knee that Orestes didn't shoot at. Ajaba then slashes at the joint aiming to cut the tendons and ligaments to disable the beast.
    I hope this works, I have no idea how we can take out this boar while it's moving... He thought. If the boar is still working on Delan, then Ajaba turns to work on its other hind knee, if not then he retreats back to the tree line to wait for another opportunity.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

XVIII Caught between a tree and a warforged

Aesop draws an arrow and fires at the boar. The arrow strikes the boar in one of its molted plates and fails to do any damage. Delan steps in front of the others to provide as a human (as it were) shield. He’s careful to leave a row of trees between him and the clearing to provide additional cover. Orestes casts his True Strike spell and fires an arrow bold and true at the boar. It strikes the boar low on its hind left flank. Wrex hurls a throwing ax and Bin fires a crossbow bolt, both of which strike the boar as well. The creature roars in pain and anger and turns towards the party. The boar charges full tilt straight at Delan and slams into the row of trees in front of him. The two trees it collides with crack and fall backwards towards the party. Orestes, Aesop and Bin manage to dive out of the way but Delan and Wrex are not so lucky and are caught and pinned by the trees. Delan takes 6 points of damage from the impact and crushing force of his tree. The boar roars again and begins trying to scrape at Delan and Wrex where they lay pined. Ajaba dashes out of the bushes and takes a double slash at the boar’s right hind leg. His right scimitar manages to slice flesh, though his left one meets the boar’s tough molting. The boar’s right leg gives out momentarily and it drops to its knee as it bellows even louder than before. Orestes and Aesop clamber to their feet just in time to see the Cleric’s son come rushing down the path towards the group. He has a chain shirt thrown on hastily over his tunic and brandishes a long sword.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes snatches a pebble up off the ground, muttering an incantation as he launches a Magic Missile at the boar. He ducks back behind cover when he has the chance and motions for the boy to do the same.
    I roll 20s

20. - Top - End - #80

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

Aesop is annoyed. Everybody managed to hurt the thing but him. He drops his bow, draws his rapier, and is about to move in to slash the boar when he's struck with an idea: His stories can distract people, yes, but what if they could also inspire them? He takes a deep breath and begins telling a story, to everyone and no one, about some brave adventurers who slay a fierce beast. (OOG: I'm Inspiring Courage, in case it wasn't perfectly clear.)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

After scrambling back to the tree line, Ajaba takes in the situation that he and the others are in. Ajaba looks to his left and sees the Wizard cast his spell and goes to charge the Boar again. When he reaches the legs, Ajaba slashes at the knees with both scimitars. Afterwards, he stays to keep attacking the Boar to get a shot at the Boar's underbelly. There has to be a weak spot on this monster He thought. So if the opportunity presents itself, Ajaba strikes at the Boar's stomach, if not the he does the best he can on the Boar's joints to disable it.
    Last edited by FrereSebastian; 2008-04-08 at 08:26 PM. Reason: grammar

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan

Delan attempts to push the trees that have fallen on him off but he's made for endurance, not lifting. If that doesn't work, he tries to keep the attention of the boar on him so the others can damage it. Yelling and waving his hands so as to keep the thing coming after him instead.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

XIX BBBoooaaarrriiinnngg.

Orestes fires his Magic Missile spell and the bolt flies unerringly at its target. Aesop begins his tale of courage, inspiring the group and making you all feel more courageous. Ajaba scampers out and slashes at the boar, again. This time, both his scimitars make contact. Wrex tries to reach for his other throwing axe but can’t grab onto it. Instead he starts trying to get out from under the tree and manages to get half his torso squeezed out. Delan manages to completely free himself from the tree. Bin fires another crossbow bolt that catches the boar in the face. The young man, whose name you still don’t know, holds his hand to his chest and mutters a prayer. A shimmering field of magic flashes briefly around him before becoming almost invisible. The boar gets back to its feet and turns quickly, bringing its tusk to bear on Ajaba. Luckily for him, the angle isn’t right for a gore but he is still flung backwards and takes 5 points of damage. Ajaba lands gracefully on his feet as the boar turns to face him and lowers its head to charge. The woman impaled on the boar’s back has stopped her screaming and gone limp, her body now only being supported by her impaled leg and the spike she had braced between her arm.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

24. - Top - End - #84

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

Continuing his story, Aesop begins to act it out, assuming a fencing stance and darting in to slash nimbly at the boar like the feral brute it is.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan

After pushing the tree off, Delan stands and sees the beast begin to charge Ajaba. He moves so that if the beast hits him, he will be able to help his companion by patching him up or by distracting the beast.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

After checking for anything broken, Ajaba looks at the Boar about to charge him. He looks to see if the boar has any trouble with the legs he was slashing when it turns to face him. Ajaba readies to jump out of the way when the boar charges, and if notices any limp he jumps to that side of the boar. (Ready an action to dodge the boar when/if it charges)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes is getting nervous with the woman now limp and his combat abilities being what they are. He loads and fires another bolt at the boar.
    I roll 20s

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

XX Finish Him!

As Aesop continues to weave his tale, Delan moves towards Ajaba and where he thinks the boar will be. The gnoll readies himself to dive away from the boar and notices that the boar is limping badly on its left leg. Orestes fires off his crossbow quarrel which successfully penetrates the boar’s tough hide. Bin likewise scores a hit with his crossbow. The boar seems to be hurting quite a bit from its several crossbow wounds and slashes. Wrex finally frees himself from the tree and gets to his feet. The boar makes his charge towards Ajaba but the gnoll is able to dive out of the way to the right as planned. As the creature makes contact with another large tree, the unconscious woman on its back is finally launched off and slams into a nearby tree like a rag doll. The man hiding under the large root cries out when he sees this and foolishly takes off at a run towards the fallen girl. The Cleric’s son goes rushing towards the boar with his sword raised high. Wrex shouts out a loud curse in Goblin and takes off after the boy, drawing his Greatsword as he runs.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes reaches into one of the pouches on his belt and produces another pinch of sand. Whispering the incantation over the grains and casting Sleep he flicks them at the charging boar, hoping to stop it in its tracks.
    I roll 20s

30. - Top - End - #90

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

OOG: Hmm. I guess I don't get to take actions while Bardic Musicing even though my hands aren't used for it? Fair enough. The fact that I don't need an instrument for it is still pretty cool.

Aesop is lost in the tale he is weaving, his eyes rolled back into his head as the words of power flow unceasingly from his mouth. His rapier swishes around in the air as he uses it to act something out, but that's as close as he gets to actually participating in the fight.