New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori [IC]

Chester

Hello, Langston was it? I'm here following a lead on another case. But still, sit down have a drink we'll talk about this job. Barkeep, two shots of absinthe.

Chester gulps down his drink waiting for the next to arrive.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

"Yes, Langston. Jonathan Langston, the poet."

After Chester receives his drink, Jonathan steers him towards a more private table.

"Listen, you remember the disturbance the other day at the library? It turns out the book stolen was one I had hoped to use as research for my next poem. It was called, "The King in Yellow." I suspect this is why I was attacked, I was looking for the same book as our thief. Anyway, I need that book to complete my commission. The good commissioner told me that they thought the thief was an inmate at an asylum out at Liverpool, so I decided to come looking for clues. I had planned on hiring a detective when I reached the city, but since you're already on the train, are you interested?"

While he waits for an answer, Langston calmly pulls out his pipe and begins to puff it amicably. Or, rather, what Langston interprets as amicably. His friendly smile looks stern and disapproving, his amicable smoking looks vaguely disdainful and disgusted.
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jonathan & Chester

Chester gulps down the volatile liquid, allowing the aniseed taste to run seductively down his throat and into his belly, warming it instantly. The drink does well to sooth the sharp pain in his back. The barman pours out a second glass of the Green Fairy as Mr Langston's pipe smokes into life and you move back to the table by the door. Langston's sudden interest and attempted hospitality is marred by his evident lack of social graces, but the prospect is perfectly appealing; an investigation into the occult, full of peril, set against the backdrop of a mad house.
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Chester looks around the car pondering to himself.

*Hmm, it looks like this man hasn't been perfectly honest with me. Kept information from me at the library. Let's see what he's really up to.*

Realizing he was staring at the ceiling stroking his chin as he thought, he brings his attention back to Mr. Langston.

Of course, of course, this does sound quite interesting, I'll acompany you and help search for your book.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

Wonderful, the fool fell perfectly into my plan. Precisely as I knew he would. Mr. Gould is precisely the sort of person you'd find in any dime store novel. He probably believes right and wrong can be defined by men of action. Ha!

Grinning somewhat stiffly--a master poet rarely has need to grin--Langston extends his hand to the detective, "Excellent, sir! I must confess, I'll feel a good deal better with you at my side. I've seen how capable you can be. Now, this doesn't take you out of the way at all? I don't want to force you off whatever mission you were on."

Langston sits patiently puffing his pipe as the proud private eye properly answers the question then,

"Oh, I see. Did you hear about the disturbance on this train earlier? I heard there was foul play, in this room."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm willing to take out that last question if you have an answer that doesn't lead properly to it.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

No sir it shouldn't take me too far out of the way, i'm used to running multiple cases at one time. The dispute on the train actualy had to do with a case of mine. Also, if you'll excuse me I have to get back to that.

Chester then gets up and starts walking back toward the luggage cart.

*Gould! How could you be so stupid? You just left a man who had a gun in the luggage cart while you made small talk! I need to get back.*

Chester then starts to jog towards the cart hoping the man is still there.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Langston

"Of course, of course.", Jonathan follows along behind his new 'partner'.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester & Jonathan

You make your way back to the luggage carriage to find, to your mild surprise, that your captive is in fact, still handcuffed to the railing, siting on the floor as comfortably as his restraints allow. When you re-enter he looks up at you with a savvy grin and says "I thought you'd forgotten about me, inspector"
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

Langston recoils slightly in shock at the prisoners grin. Shock--not fear, never fear. Fear was beneath a member of the Golden Dawn and so Jonathan quickly straightened himself and met the gaze of the captive while still puffing away at his pipe. With one hand clutching tightly to a pen in his pocket--simply out of habit, not nerves--Jonathan slouched against the door frame and attempted to look calm and a bit bored, precisely as he felt an assistant to an interrogation ought to look.

After all, prior to yesterdays near fatal encounter, the most terrifying thing Langston could think of were Royal Clerks out to receive taxes. So the poet looked on feigning boredom, striving to bring the full terror of his clerical prowess upon the poor soul who Chester had handcuffed to the rail.

The twists in his stomach were from excitement and anticipation, not fear.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Well well, looks like you stayed put, that's nice. Well now, back to the questions you need to answer. Why were you chasing down that man. I want your personal reason, not the load you said earlier. What brought you both here. Come one spill it.

Chester lights a cigarette and blows the smoke towards Mr. Langston.

Just sit over there on that crate will ya, i'll be done in a minute.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan

Visibly deflating, Langston plops himself down on a crate and pulls out a pen and some scraps of paper. I suppose the least I can do is get a poem out of this. Now let's see...

Spoiler
    Show
    Crafter (Poetry) (d20+9)[15]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester & Jonathan

Grinning at the detective's direct approach, the captive replies I have been sent here to aprehend Mr Felix Last, who is wanted in connection with a series of most grisly deaths. While not ... freelance as you are, we share a common goal do we not? To protect people of this noble land? If it will make you any happier, I can tell you that I work for the government, but I am not at liberty to divulge further.
    Last edited by Penril; 2008-05-16 at 02:19 AM.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

And why should I believe a word you are saying? You came onto the train waving a gun everywhere chasing someone down like a madman. If you have any proof to back up this rediculous story, then show me now.

Chester takes the last puff of his ciggarette and lets it gently fall from his lips to the floor as he lights another.

I want to believe you I really do, come on, let's see it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+7)[13]
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[11]

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester & Jonathan

The man considers you with a humouring gaze for a moment before lowering his head in compliance. "I assure you that any actions I make in this regard have carefully taken into account the risks involved. We do this only for the protection of the nation. I you insist on learning more, go to my seat in the carriage beyond the bar and look in the overhead rails for a green, leather bag. Although I must warn you, prying too much into our matters comes with considerable risk. The more you know, the shorter your life becomes."

He seems willing to comply request, but you cannot ascertain his motives for doing so. His threats, against the strange composure and confidence of this curious man, seem almost frighteningly real, but you shrug it off as little more than bravado.
    Last edited by Penril; 2008-05-16 at 07:40 AM.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

Standing up, Langston stuffs his notes back into his pocket and, briefcase in hand heads to the door of the improvised interrogation room.

"Don't worry Chester, I'll get it. Now then Mr. --, I'm sorry, I don't believe I caught your name. You are...?

Jonathan leaves the question in the air feeling quite clever with his subtle attempt at interrogation. When the handcuffed gentleman either answers of refuses to answer, Jonathan continues on.

"I see. Either way, you were sitting where exactly?"

With more precise directions to the seat, Langston heads off to retrieve the unfortunately colored bag.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester & Jonathan

My name is Lyle Spacey, sir. I was sitting at seat P5, aisle seat, on the left. Comes the courteous reply. You head off to find the back and duely locate it above seat P5.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Well Mr. Spacey, we'll see just if you are telling the truth or not. Well well well, here's the mysterious case you were talking about.

Chester takes the bag from Mr. Langston opens the case and searches through it.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester & Jonathan

Inside the bag is a leather portfolio, a small, slightly soft package wrapped in brown paper and a pair of handcuffs.

Within the portfolio are two thick paper files, one titled Last, Felix C. The other Tomkins, Valerie E. At a cursory glance they appear to be personnel files of some kind, but you will need to take time to read through the detail. Your captive remains silent as you peruse the documents.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

"Here detective, let me see those. I'm used to filing through papers. One of the curses of my profession."

Langston snatches the porfolio's from Chester and begins to read though them, looking for any useful or relevant information.

Spoiler
    Show

Felix Last :Research (d20+9)[15]
    Valerie E. Tomkins: Research (d20+9)[26]

Furthermore, if anything is a reference to either the Occult, something Theological, or Literary, I'm going to make a knowledge check to get the reference. I know this is metagaming, I'm just trying to get as many rolls in one post as possible.

For Felix:
    Theology (d20+13)[29]
    Forbidden Lore (d20+11)[31]
    Literature (d20+10)[26]

For Val:
    Theology (d20+13)[33]
    Forbidden Lore (d20+11)[14]
    Literature (d20+10)[24]

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Excuse me Mr. Langston, what the hell do you think you're doing? Hand me those files right now and make your way back to your seat. We'll talk once i'm done here.

If Lagston gives the files back he looks through them.

Excuse him, he's a bit of an odd fellow, a poet of sorts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Research (1d20+3)[13]
    Okay, I didn't want to have to do that, because I know he'll be more useful than I am, but like, I can't break character that much.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

Coloring--whether from rage or embarrassment was somewhat unclear--Langston replies, "What am I doing? Helping you out, sir. A word?"

Files still in hand, Langston steps out of the interrogation room. Chester, presumably, follows.

"Like it or not, I am far more able to deal with this sort of thing that you. I bow to your handling of interrogating the criminal, I know nothing of that world and, frankly, am completely content with knowing nothing of that world. However, when it comes to unlocking secrets from cryptic and vague files I--a guest lecturer at Oxford and published poet--am far more qualified than you. You deal with the hearts of men, I deal with their minds revealed through ink. View ours as a partnership, of sorts. You know as well as I do that without me you'd have to take this files to some sort of specialist to help you anyway, allow me to be your specialist.

Go inside and interrogate the prisoner, I will let you know what I learn."

When, and if, Chester goes inside, Langston leans against the wall and begins to breeze through the files.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's alright, I'll just keep the same rolls as before.

Dustfinger- While I realize it's out of character for you to trust me with this, it's out of character for me to be approaching Gould at all. I tihnk we should stretch the characters a little bit to let us work together, else we'll just have two independent and (often) conflicting missions that will probably end with Langston writing offensive verse about Chester and muttering darkly and have Gould shooting Jonathan.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Chester glances down at his feet, realizing Mr. Langston is right.

Fine, I guess you're right. Now just wait here while I go back inside. *Now come on Langston, give me a reason to trust you...*

Chester walks back into the "interrogation room". He begins smoking again, this time more heavily.

Well now, come on, spill it. Now you tell me why you have those files, and if you really are a government agent, just give me some proof and i'll get rid of the cuffs. People don't usualy talk much while in them.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester

"Proof? You mean besides the secret files? Which, incidently, I have because I need them for my mission." he composes himself once more and adds "Well, there is my access card i suppose, but it's in my jacket pocket and," he shrugs and jangles the handcuffs against the railing.
    Last edited by Penril; 2008-05-20 at 07:17 AM.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Langston

Pinned to Mr Last's file is a sheet of paper:
    Spoiler
    Show

You begin sorting through the files. The first page on each contains general infomation about each person: Name, date of birth, of kin, occupation, blood group etc. Along with a small photo of said individual pinned to the top od the page.

Inside Mr Last's file you find a report
    Spoiler
    Show

In both files you find this report:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also inside Miss Tomkins' file are a large amount of notes from the Wyrd Hospital for the Mentally Unstable, London. These notes will take a lot longer to sort through.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

I'm sorry, forgive me for going after an armed man taking hostages on a train. I was just going through regular precautions. One moment while I go talk to Mr. Langston to get your files back.

Chester walks out of the cabin closing the door behind him.

Langston, he checks out, unless you found anything important out. I'm gonna need you to put the files away so we can give them back. Just join me back in there once everything is settled.

As Chester is saying all of this he is unloading Mr. Spacey's gun and dropping the bullets into his coat pocket. Finaly, Chester puts Spacey's gun back in his pocket and walks back to the handcuffed man.

Sorry once again. He's putting the files away to give them back to you. Here...

Chester unlocks the handcuffs and puts them in his pocket.

And, I believe this is yours.

Chester hands him his gun.

Now, let's see that access card.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester

Mr Spacey gives you an amused smile and you move in and unlock the cuffs. As you turn awkwardly to unlock the restraints, you can feel his eyes scanning your face. Once released, he stands just close enough to you to make you feel uncomfortable and reaches into his jacket without taking his pale eyes from yours. He pulls out what appears to be a thick business card and offers it out for inspection. On the face is the symbol of Britannia and below it are the words “Mr L Spacey, Level 2 Access” You flick the card over, but the other side is blank. “Sorry it’s only Level 2 Access” he says as you squint at the card “Desk jobs aren’t my thing, I prefer it in the field. May I go?”
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Yes, you're free to go. Take your files from Mr. Langston on the way out.

Chester then walks back to the bar, motioning for Langston to follow him.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

Langston is seated on the floor outside the door copying as much of the data as he can into one his notebooks. Seeing the two men step out, Langston looks up,
    Ah, hello detective, Mr. Spacey. I suppose everything checks out then? I'm glad to know we have Operation Cypher to protect us from 'grisly murderers' like Mr. Last."

Langston makes no move to hand over the files.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll let you use you DM discretion as to what I was able to write down in this time. The key facts I really want are

Mr. Felix Last, Miss Valerie Tomkins, Mr. H Davidson (newspaper), Detective Stephen Crane.

25 Merrion Avenue, SW6.

Operation Orchid/Cypher/Exodus.

Giza Dig Site 3 -- 14/1/1923. Being #032.

London SW3, 7PF. Greenwood Abbatoir (est. 1807) Being #475. (wave anomalies?)

Wyrd Hospital for the Mentally Unstable (Tomkins), London.

And, lastly, Sense Motive (d20+5)[9] on whatever Spacey tries to say.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jonathan

You jot down as much as you can from the files, but the medical notes are lengthy and you don't discern anything of note from your quick glance. You infer from the notes some kind of serious emotional tarauma, hallucinations and delierium, but nothing more specific. "Ah, the clerk I presume," he says as you return the papers "I trust it was an insightful read."
    Rather than wait for a response, Mr Spacey leaves the bar and returns to his seat, offering a polite nod to Chester.
    Last edited by Penril; 2008-05-23 at 03:05 AM.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

Sighing, Langston returns the papers and follows Chester to the bar. Once they're seated--presumably at a corner table away from prying eyes and ears that makes Langston feel very much like a detective or some other sort of adventurous fellow in those dimestore novels that a proper poet would never read unless confiscated from a student--Jonathan leans over to Gould and whispers, "Well, what was that all about?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I figured I'd get the game going again, though I'm still a little confused about the actions of Spacey in response to my own.