New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori [IC]

Chester

Everything checked out on my end, he seem's to actualy be a federal officer. What did you figure out from the files? Anything that could show he's not who he says he is? I still don't trust that a trained government agent would be so messy with an investigation. It seems Mr. Spacey needs to be a bit more responsible when on the job.

Chester slouches in his seat and lets out a gaping yawn.

Excuse me, barkeep! 3 shots of scotch if you will.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jonathan & Chester

The barman summons forth refreshments as Mr Spacey leaves to go about his business.

Jonathan, you sit and stare at the files that the captive has made no move to take. Why is this? What benefit is there to leaving such important documents in the hands of a complete stranger? As you begin to attempt the reasoning, your thoughts are interrupted by the presence of a drink placed before you. As you gaze thoughtfully at the ice which shifts in the amber liquor, you get the curious feeling that you were meant to have the information before you. The idea hangs in your head like an inviting, though dangerous will-o-whisp.
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan

"Chester, who exactly did this Mr. Spacey work for? What agency?" The words come out cool, clipped, and precise. Spacey leaving the notes behind was troubling--unless he was somehow affiliated with the Order.
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

He refused to say much of anythign at all. I gave up after a while and trusted that you would be able to figure that out and tell me. Perhaps we should tail Mr. Spacey once we leave the train. It would be hard, and a long shot, but it just might work.

Chester drinks down two of the shots, leaving the third in the middle of the table. Within Langston's reach if he desires to partake of it.

You're saying the papers you have say nothing of any agency he works for. No letterheads, or footings give any clue? I don't trust this Spacey...
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester

As you open your mouth to reply, you absent mindedly run your hands over the edge of the procured files and pause as you notice, for the first time, the presence of a paper clip pinning somthing to the inside of the back cover of Mr Last's file. Curious, you open the file backwards and find, in the face of all uncanny possibility, a card. Your mouth drops open at the sight of the small business card. Whomever these people are, they certainly like hiding in plain sight!

I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jonathan Langston

A bit peeved that he had missed the card--one so obviously hidden at that--Langston snaps a response, "No, I wasn't able to figure out what agency employs Mr. Spacey. The files are damned vague. I don't suppose you recognize any of these names?

Mr. Felix Last. Miss Valerie Tomkins. Mr. H Davidson, he's a newspaper chap. Or perhaps your fellow, Detective Stephen Crane? The rest of the information had to do with the sitings of strange creatures and 'wave anomolies', whatever those may be. He also seems to be particularly concerned with the state of Ms. Tomkins mental health.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Chester's slams his hand on the table, knocking over the last shot of scotch. As the amber fluid drips off of the table he cries out...

FELIX!

He then settles himself as he glances at all the eyes that are now on him. He then slides the files towards his side of the table as he whispers.

I knew the name Felix Last sounded familiar. I've worked with him before. He was a freelance reporter for the Independence and sometimes worked with the police while I was on the force. I can't believe I had forgotten that name until now.

Chester slouches in towards Langston supporting his head with his left hand.

I know Crane too. He was on the force with me, we all worked together at the same time, Crane, Last and I. Crane became a detective much like myself. He was perhaps my greatest rival as a detective, he was almost an inspiration for me.

Chester looks down at the files and begins reading them.

What about this symbol here on this card, do you recognize it? One as intelligent as yourself would have to recognize it.

Chester says that in an almost patronizing tone, then goes back to reading.

So what do these files say about Crane?

Spoiler
    Show
    Research (1d20+3)[19]

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester

The only reference to Crane is in the reports as written. There is no mention of him in the medical notes and you would not be suprised if the man did not have his own file. The last you heard of him, he was still operating out of London, in his office by Tower Bridge.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anger at the Detective's insult slips into Langston's voice,"A man as intelligent as I am isn't often stuck in criminal investigations or dealing with false government agents. I'm a poet." None the less he takes the business card and the files from Gould. Calming himself, he extracts the pieces of paper concerning Stephen Crane and shows the detective."Let me help with this. Look, here he's mentioned in Egypt with Miss A. Simmons, possibly causing some sort of explosion at the dig? Then, at around the same time, he's suspected of Arson. Both times he's associated with your friend Felix Last. You have any idea what this could be about? Look at some of the other notes, unidentified beings at both the Giza Site and in Greenwood Abbatoir and quite a high body count at both places. I think we need to pay your friend Crane a visit. After our business in Liverpool is settled. Now as for this card..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Theology (d20+13)[22]
    Knowledge Literature (d20+10)[14]
    Knowledge Forbidden Lore (d20+11)[23]

Also: I'm going to look through the medical files for any reference to the asylum in Liverpool. Reckon we may as well try to find out as much as we can while we're here. Research (d20+13)[23]

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jonathan

You discern nothing from the notes regarding the establishment in Liverpool. It seems as though Mr Last admitted Miss Tomkins into the one institute in London direct. As for the business card, you recognise the symbol instantly as the archaic symbol for arsnic, used in thirteenth century alchemy. A thought probes at your mind as you discern this, but it's significance is not clear.

By now the train guard stolls up the carriages heralding the end of the line and the train begins to pull to a stop.
    Last edited by Penril; 2008-05-30 at 08:53 PM.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Chester stands and picks up all of his things and motions to Langston.

Looks like this is where we get off. Grab the files and let's go.

He then begins to walk towards the nearest door to the outside.

*Somethings wrong here but I can't put my finger on it. Stephen, Felix, and I. It's no coincidence I can tell you that right now. I guess I can do is go to this hospital and search for any sign of this Miss Tomkins. Hopefully she will be able to tell me what's going on.*

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester & Jonathan
    You depart the train as it glides to a whooshing halt, expelling great billowing clouds of steam and join the swell of commuters that swarm across the platform to the exit, where they form untidy queues before the watchful eyes of the platform staff.

You join a queue and watch the trudging slaves of the clerical life, almost all clad what appears to be the same drab, grey suit. You make your way outside into the city of Liverpool and take a deep draught of the city air. The air displays the typical, turbulent April weather, heavily laden, battleship-grey clouds adrift in a bright blue sky. Now though, the sun pierces the haze of factory smoke and you feel warmly after the London rain. From your position outside the station, you can see, across the street, the enormous grandeur of St George's Hall and its famously extravagant Minton tiles that surround it. Right now, the theatre is devoid of people, but during the evening, the dainty feet of many party goers and society revellers grace its beautiful floors.

- Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Chester steps off the train, feeling like he's been held up within it's walls for close to an eternity. He stares across at the men trapped in their drab lives and gives a short moment of silence for the death of their character.

Well Mr. Langston, I believe we have waited here long enough, it's time to be off to the hospital to find out what is going on.

As Chester is talking to Jonathon, he is peering over his head and looking all around for Stephen Crane. When he doesn't find him, he shrugs and steps out of the train station and begins to head down the street towards the hospital.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls