New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Fall of the Empire - IC

Spoiler
    Show
    +9 Ranks +6 Feats/Bluff synergy +5 Charisma =20 +5 from Gentle Touch (if I can touch the person I get to add my charisma modifier again) +5 from Minor Aura (Charisma Focus), add MY Charisma modifier to all charisma based skill checks of allies (including self) =30
    The the last two are not always in effect so that's why they're not listed on my character sheet.
    She can barely lift her gear but good god can she talk

I agree with I am not Jeff on the money thing.

Since I already had Detect Magic on at the beginning of the battle can I have detected the gear immediately after combat?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

@Sxoa: Thanks for the explanation. +20 would've been enough to get what you did get, and even +30 isn't enough to get him to say anything about his superiors or organization he works with.

@IamNotJeff: Since Jayanti had already cast the detect magic and discovered there is no other magical auras in the area (except for you equipments and the spells he had cast) Ista should probably keep his spell. Upshot is, non of his equipment is magical, a lot of it is very well made but nothing magical.

The party parts with the old man and starts traveling towards Ctesiphon. The mounts are tired from their earlier travel and need rest after a few hours of uneventful traveling.

The night is quiet as well, and everyone gets to rest well as you start traveling on the road again. Remo prepares a quick lunch around noon, and while eating it everyone discusses how to proceed forward.

Ista studies the map and recalling his information about the position of the front lines can tell that the edge of the persian controlled territory is close. He is pretty sure that by the end of the next day, traveling at the same speed, the party will be deep within the Arab controlled territory.

Spoiler
    Show

The border is a fluid thing at this point, and no permanent crossing exists, you are more likely to run into persian and arab patrols as you get closer to the "border" and both will be suspicious of travelers.

Are you going to continue on the road? leave the road and try your luck in the wilderness?

Ah and of course XP: 1125 per person (the bard, getting out of town un-noticed, dealing with Anushiravan's messenger and the force march.)

Extra 100 RP awards: Jayanti

Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-04 at 02:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

After waking up in the morning and trying to work some of the kinks out her back , Jayanti grumbles before sitting down to breakfast with the others, "Always good to be reminded why I left the military in the first place. Ah well, such are the whims of fate."
    Not being much of a tactician or terribly knowledgeable about avoiding patrols or the like Jayanti leaves the decision on how to travel to her more martially minded companions. She does voice her concern though that traveling on the road is more likely to draw attention from soldiers who may or may not be little more than bandits in uniforms.
    "Putting a sword in a man's hand is liable to do queer things to him. He will often think he is king of everything within swinging distance and is liable to ignore such social niceties as the concept of rightful ownership and not brutally murdering someone in broad daylight."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"You'll have no argument from me there," Pedram agrees, not in the least offended by the generalization. He thinks back to the enmity he felt from his brothers when he was bequeathed his grandfather's sword. Of the three of them, he had wanted it the least - hardly at all, in fact, for he preferred not to resort to to bloodshed, but then this had been the very reason why Pedram was chosen to receive it. He looks down to his hip, at the leather wrapped grip stained with the blood and sweat of his own battles and many far older, and can't help but think what a queer thing it is.

"The road may be faster, and though I'm sure you could talk us out of nearly any trouble, Jayanti, it is still a gamble - and the fewer of those the better. Ista, Matias.. I trust you two can keep us on course?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Matias

At Pedram's query, Matias smiles fondly, recalling past wonderings in the wilderness. "I can get us where we need to be, my friend. Have no fears about that,"

He frowns slightly after a moment though, "It may be slower that way, though I think we can spare the time. May I suggest staying near the road if possible? Not too near, and only if there is cover. That way we can escape to the road if we run into something dangerous."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Jayanti smiles warmly at her more martially oriented companions, "My earlier musings on bandits not withstanding, I am very glad to be traveling in your company. I defer to your knowledge, Pedram and Matias, your wisdom in such things is as far above mine as the hawk is the field mouse. I am ready to follow at your leisure good sirs."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Ista spends a fair amount of time thinking and discussing with the others about which way to go is the best. Eventually he concludes:

"Keeping a safe distance from the road seems wise. I am confident we will be able to navigate safely while traveling away from the road, and I agree we should do whatever we can to avoid contact with others, whether they are bandits or enemy soldiers."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the late post everyone. I had a hard time connecting to OotS last night. On the plus side, I've created a map to help everyone navigate:

Travel Map

With Ista and Matias fairly certain that they can get to Ctesiphon off the road, the party decides to leave the road and travel at a distance from it. Matias then presents the party with three options,

First option is to travel close to the road, but never so close to be seen from the road. This option has the disadvantage of taking the party through the thick marshes that creep close to the road from time to time.

Second is to avoid the worst of the marshes by traveling on the road a couple of times.

And last option is to abandon the road completely, travel directly north and cut across to Ctesiphon avoiding the marshy terrain.

Spoiler
    Show

Traveling on the road is of course the fastest way to go.
    Second fastest option: close to the road, and on the road when the marshes get too close.
    Third is Traveling directly north.
    Slowest way is to fight your way through some of those marshes.

In terms of encountering other people:

You will be almost certain to encounter soldiers if you go on the road. and very likely if you try to pass on the road at one of bottlenecks (these are naturally the best places for guarding the road.

Going north, in Ista and Matias's opinion, is safest in terms of avoiding soldiers. However Ista is aware of reports of Bandits in the area, and where there are few soldiers Bandits are more active.

Going through the marshes, has it's own dangers of course, the are slow to travel through and people fall ill when spending time in the marshes, there are wild dangerous predators and poisonous snakes and worst there aren't many good places to set up camp for the night.

Choose which option you want to follow.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Seth

"We have a well assembled group, but we may run into trouble with arab soldiers... Jayanti, can you disguise us as arabs? the king's badge will get us out of troubles with our side, so disguises make sense to assist with the enemy." He pauses, and looks at the party. "As much as I'd love to kill a couple arabs, I think our best move here is to not leave anything to attract notice... missing patrols tend to bring larger patrols.."

10. - Top - End - #130

Spoiler
    Show
    Really nice map, Andy! I need to figure out how to do that

Matias

"I believe our best option is to stay near the road and avoid the marshes," Matias begins. "Seth is right: with our dear Jayanti's disguises, we should be able to avoid detection from the arabs, and that badge should keep us out of trouble. If those were to fail, I do not doubt our ability to incapacitate our enemies,"

His expression expresses his confidence in his comrades.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

As Matias explains the options and their ramifications, Jayanti blanches at the mention of not being able to find good places to camp for the night. She's ruffing it more then she likes as is! Sleeping in a soggy bog is about as appealing as getting a tooth pulled at the barber in her mind. At the mention of disguises she begins rummaging through her kits.
    "Certainly, I think... yes here it is. This will do nicely. Yes, I should be able to do us all up. And as Matias has said, I have the up most faith in your collective ability to keep me from getting murdered by brigands. You too of course, but more importantly, me." She grins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If no one is opposed then I'll just start doing up disguises. I'm not rushed or distracted so I'll take 10 on them. I don't know how that works exactly with applying a disguise to another person since part of it is based off charisma. Presumably it uses theirs? But wouldn't it get like synergy with bluff or something then if it's implying acting in character? Maybe when applying it to someone else it should use intelligence?

Oh yeah, agreed, the map is totally awesome!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

I'm glad the map was liked. Making it isn't hard you can check the "My Maps" Tab in the google maps and they have instructions there.

@Sxoa: I'm also not sure about the disguise question. I will look into it, for now just use your own charisma for everyone.

Once the decision is made, the group continues traveling for the rest of the day.

The next day Jayanti pulls out her props and disguises everyone as arab soldiers. The travel off the road is simple enough, but as you reach the first bottleneck and have to come to the road, you notice a group of 15 soldiers. From a distance they seem to be persian soldiers and unaware of your group for the moment.

Spoiler
    Show

The soldiers are on the road and still a good distance away from your current position.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-06 at 07:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Imp

Ista grudgingly consents to traveling near the road but using the roads at the choke points. He thinks it would have been safer to travel north, since bandits will probably pose little threat to the party, and we will probably encounter Arab patrols at the choke points in the marshes anyway.

Having encountered our own troops, Ista suggests
    "Perhaps Jiyanti should go forward with a flag of truce, Matias as a guard, and the king's badge. She can then explain things. "

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

"Sounds fine to me Ista. I'd like the rest of the party to stay close though in case there are any problems. Any objections to this plan from anyone?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there are no objections then Jayanti will ride forward with arms up flying whatever passes as a flag of truce during/in that era/region
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-04-06 at 11:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jayanti rides forward waving a make shift white flag, she is soon noticed by the soldiers who approach in a semi-circle formation having their bows at the ready. When they are about 300 feet away their leader shouts "Dismount your horse, put all your weapon on the ground and approach on foot. Same goes for the rest of you." He holds his hand high, as if dropping it would be signal for his men to start shooting.

Spoiler
    Show

It's clear the he has spotted the rest of the party.

@Ista: You can clearly see that Remo is a bit nervous.

16. - Top - End - #136

Imp

Ista tells Remo

"Stay behind me, keep low, and keep your sword sheathed. I have faith in Jiyanti's abilities. We should be fine. If fighting starts keep behind the furthest back member of our party. I'll hold a position here probably, but if anyone withdraws behind me, keep behind them.

Ista is wearing his spiked gauntlets, but his mace remains on his belt. He looks out at the soldiers to count their number, see what type of bows they carry, and if they have horses. He intends to stay 400' from the soldiers for now. He's familiar with the rules of war and believes that the leader will respect the flag of truce. He has faith in Jiyanti's ability to talk her way out of things. Even if things do turn ugly, the party should easily be able to withdraw down the road, and Pedram should be able to keep Jiyanti safe. He remains calm.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quick response to Ista's questions in case it's important for others actions:

There are 15 soldiers, on foot, carrying sheathed swords and long bows, and wearing leather armor. Their leader is riding a horse, wearing heavy armor and carries a composite long bow, on the side of the horse you can see his lance, and on his hip hangs a sword.

You are familiar with the rules of engagement, however remember that you look like arabs, who recently sacked the persian capital and killed a great number of persian soldiers, so animosity an hatred towards you probably runs deep in the people you are facing. And therefore it's probably wise not to give them any reason to bend the rules and engage you in combat.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-07 at 03:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

Matias

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the retro, but I was to accompany Jayanti, correct? No diplomancer should be without her guard

Matias stays slightly ahead of Jayanti as they head forward. He strives to keep his face passively neutral at the soldiers command.

He dismounts and keeps his hands far from his weapons, figuring that it would be better not to take off his bow and quiver, seeing as how that would look akin to readying them.

He says nothing, trusting Jayanti to sort it out and himself only to screw it up should he talk.

Spoiler
    Show
    My blades are in quiver sheaths, so I can't exactly drop them without taking it off or pulling them out, which might be a bad idea. If he can see a way to drop them without looking like he is going to use them, he will.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Jayanti dismounts and calls out in Persian
    "Ho fellow Sassanids! We are on official business of the king and travel in disguise. I would like to speak to your commanding officer alone, I will leave my body guard behind and will come unarmed as a show of good faith. She makes a show of hanging up her crossbow and dagger on her camel. She holds onto her walking stick in keeping in with her (second) disguise as the older eunuch Arashazar, as she approaches on foot.
    "Wait here Matias, if trouble starts take cover first and protect yourself and the others. Our mission must succeed and they hopefully will not kill me outright if I drop fast. And if they do well, its been a pleasure working with you. Give my regards to our comrades and Ahura Mazda when you meet him." she whispers with a cheerful smile just before she heads off.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Seth

Seth studies Jayanti's face, as if storing this moment for posterity. With a small smile, he nods, and passes Jayanti the king's badge (he still had it).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

@Jael_Darkwood: Seth probably passed the badge to Jayanti before her and Matias separated from the group to go forward. At the moment Seth and Jayanti are apart from each other.

@Bandededed: Matias can put away the weapons without being threatening, your distance means a melee weapon is not threatening at all, and as long as you do not nock an arrow and simply put your bow away it won't be considered threatening either.

The leader of the guards is visibly surprised by Jayanti's fluent persian, but doesn't let down his guard "I said put down your weapons and walk forward to us. And I meant all of you, then we can see what makes persians dress like the enemy."

Meanwhile Jayanti moves forward towards the archers supporting herself with the walking stick.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-08 at 02:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

"We do not pose a grave threat to 15 armed men with bows knocked and ready. I would speak to you in private first before any other actions occur. I have made a good show of faith and would hope the honor of the Persian military still stands strong enough to grant a request for parlay. Are you afraid that I will outrun your arrows? Come sir! Speak with me, my body guard is left behind and I meet you far closer to your troops, who as already noted have weapons drawn and aimed at my person, than to my companions who sit dead in the saddle with weapons sheathed and bows unstrung. Surely you are not unmanned by single old eunuch?!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy check: (1d20+25)[39] (includes+5 from aura but no bonuses for touching him). As before I don't know the modifiers.

If he continues to refuse to meet me in quiet then I'm going to call back to the others asking what they want to do.
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-04-09 at 02:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The horseman considers Jayanti's argument for a very short time before answering "Come forward then, and hope, for your own sake, that your comrades do not try anything funny."

Jayanti walks forward, to the middle of the archers, as she gets closer the man dismounts and walks forward to meet her. Reading his demeanor Jayanti notices that he is uncertain and a bit confused as if completely surprised by how the events have turned out.

The archers still have arrows nocked and while most are aiming at Jayanti some are aiming at the rest of the party.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-09 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Grammar correction

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

(sorry about the delay)

When Jayanti is range to have a conversation that won't be overheard by the captain's men she begins speaking, "Thank you for meeting me captain. While I do not specifically doubt your men, these are trying times and the fewer people who know about us the better."
    At this point she draws the king's badge out of her sleeve and shows it to the man, still keeping it in hand but allowing him to inspect it.
    "As you can see, we are on urgent and top secret business for the king. While I am not Persian by blood, coming from the eastern realms, I am a faithful servant of his lordship. My companions are all born and bred Sassanids if you wish to inspect them. The reason for our secrecy though is that there may be elements within the Empire who are less loyal to king than than faithful servants such as us."
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it's not appropriate to offer a bribe, or she gets the sense that he would be insulted she says,
    "Were you filthy Arabs I would offer you silver for your silence on our passing, but I know the honor of the Persian soldiers does not require such base motivation."
    if she suspects a bribe is in order...
    "Your silence is of course imperative in these matters and I would like to offer you a gift to show how much we appreciate your loyalty to the crown. Bonus pay, straight from the king as it were, for we act in his name just as we carry his badge. You may distribute this as you see fit amongst your men." She then hands him what she thinks is a relatively suitable sum of money for his and his soldiers station plus a little extra for good measure.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The lieutenant's face changes immediately upon seeing the king's badge. Jayanti however reads him wrong and offers him a bribe. He gestures with his hand and the archers put away their bows and relax, this is clearly a well trained group of experienced soldiers and very familiar with their leader. "My lord, my men and I will be honored to be at your service. We need no extra payment for serving the king and our land."

Spoiler
    Show

@Sxoa: your first sense motive roll was dismal, so you didn't see that he would help you without a bribe. On your second sense motive roll you can tell that he is a bit insulted. But the badge has had a great effect and he stays formal and polite.

@everyone: you are in no danger, you can interact with the soldiers and their leader for a turn or so. Ask questions about Arab movements, or anything else, I will move things forward in my next post. (please specify how much you mingle with the soldiers, you can stay completely away from the soldiers and deal only with the leader (short conversation reveals his name as Kurosh) or get mixed with the soldiers.

@and curse your diplomacy ranks even with huge penalties for short interaction times Jayanti succeeds!! how am I supposed to get you in a fight this way? ;) j/k you'll see a fight sooner than you may think!!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well you asked for a diplomat

Sensing that she has offended the man, Jayanti attempts a social recovery, "Ah where are my manners?! I have spent too much time on the road, and insult our brave men! My apologies sir! Of course you do not need any extra pay to serve king and country, I merely wished to show our appreciation for your service and in these trying times I have nothing more than base silver to bestow. You are of course not filthy Arabs nor mere mercenaries and serve higher ideals than how many whores and how much wine a coin can buy you. Again I meant no disrespect my good captain." She bows respectfully and says, "I will fetch the others in my party.

When she reaches Matias and then the others she explains what has happened. "I do not mean to be arrogant or haughty but I think it would be better if we avoided fraternizing with the rank and file soldiers. The fewer people who know of us the fewer tongues there are that can be paid to wag or let slip something vital while in their cups or on the wrack. As always though I will follow the will of the party, I am merely a mouthpiece.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The man stays cold, yet polite as if dealing with a superior. Jayanti talks with him for a short while longer, and he warns you that arab patrols are on the road as well. He is certain that a group of them are guarding the next choke point. Once the rest of the party come close, he casually exchanges a few words with each person.

A short distance past the meeting point, the marshes retreat again and the party moves away from the road and travels for another two days without any significant incidents. Even passing on the road when the marshes force you to do so goes smoothly. Matias and Ista think there is less than 2 days left before arriving in Ctesiphon.

In what should be one of the last times the party needs to travel on the road, a group of arab patrols are spotted. The marshes come almost all the way to the road on the east, and the river tigris is flowing very close to the road on the west.

Spoiler
    Show

Once again, thanks to higher spot checks, you see them before being seen: about 8-10 soldiers all mounted on horses.

Decisions?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Jayanti suggests turning them into food for crows and rats, but defers to the wisdom of the fighters and sneakers in the party.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We could also try to ambush them in the night

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Seth

Seth is of the opinion that we should try to sneak by, if we cannot then we should tell them we are working for a high ranked sorceror, if that fails then we can bury the bodies and try to get as far away as possible.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The party members discuss their options in relative calm as the enemy is still unaware of their existence.

Spoiler
    Show

I am unlikely to be able to post tomorrow, next post late Sunday night or early monday morning. This should give you a little extra time to decide how you want to handle the patrol and declare your actions.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-12 at 12:37 AM.