New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Fall of the Empire - IC

Ista has thought about this before the encounter and states his conclusions:

"I'd also prefer trying to sneak around the patrol than to fight it. We will be traveling for many hours anyway, so we will lose little if we have spend a few hours retracking and then traveling through the swamps.

If we do take the road, since we are already disguised, I think we should first try bluffing our way passed the patrol. We can claim to be scouts and say there are no Persian soldiers out as far as a days ride. Passing as Arabs is why disguised ourselves, after all. Eventually, we will need to to pass through Arab lands in disguise anyway, but if we can evade the front lines, it should be simpler afterwards.
    "

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Matias

Matias frowns slightly. "We can only do one or the other, though. Sneak by or bluff. If we fail sneaking by, they will likely try to kill us. If we fail bluffing, we can probably be sure that they will attack us. I trust the disguises, though. With the armor we're wearing, I doubt we could recreate our escape from the city, especially since these are soldiers, not simple guards,"
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

You don't really have the option to sneak by without taking a route that includes serious back tracking of your steps, so I am assuming you follow through with the try to disguise and bluff our way in plan.

The party continues on the road flying the muslim flag. This is noticed by the soldiers who ride forward to greet you immediately. One with the most ornate clothing greets the party in arabic. The words are soft and have a musical ring to them, almost clashing with the rugged face delivering them.

In arabic:
    Spoiler
    Show

In the name of god, the merciful, the compassionate. Greetings my brethren, I am charged with guarding this passage and need to know what brings you here.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

Jayanti replies in Arabic,
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Praise our lord Allah my brother in arms! May he grant you the eyes of a desert falcon in your duty. We are outriding scouts returning to deliver our report. We have not seen any of the womenly Persian soldiers for a days ride out from your post.

"Womenly." Jayanti smiles inwardly, appreciating the irony here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what I roll to speak sans accent, bluff? disguise?
    bluff: (1d20+27)[42]
    disguise:[roll1d20+23[/roll]
    bonus +5 from aura included
    The bluff can also count for my roll to be convincing in what I'm saying, or I can roll again as you will.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The soldier looks a bit suspicious, and tries to hide it but his body language betrays him.

Arabic:
    Spoiler
    Show

I am bakr son aas my brother, and who are you and your companions? I am puzzled as a few of those who have not seen the light flew from us a mere hours ago. I was hoping you had finished them off sending them to hell as they deserver. I wonder how they got past your company.

Spoiler
    Show

Can I get everyone to post their positions? I will put up a mini-map in the OOC thread again. (I will center the map on Jayanti. Everyone else needs to announce their location. You shouldn't spread wide as it would look suspicious)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Can you post the link to the out of character thread? I've lost it! I'm replying in a culturally apropriate manner I presume. If there is some stigma at the time to using a person's full name, (and I'm aware of it, which I guess I might not be) then I obviously avoid that. Its a learning experience!

Jayanti thinks curses! but replies smooth as spun silk,
    Arabic
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well met bakr son aas, I am Azhar i’bn Khaleed al Jarrari, leader of this company. Perhaps the men you let flee to take the tale of your valor back to their wives and masters turned north before reaching us? We have been scouring the swamps making sure no one slips past our patrols near the river. If the headed into the swamps then there are any number of things that could have happened to them. Our number used to be plus one till a sink hole ate man and beast and gear in one bite! Perhaps our lord of light in his infinite wisdom saw fit to meet out a similar fate to the infidels you scattered to the wind.

Jayanti gestures towards the group at the beginning of her speech.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

He continues talking to Jayanti in Arabic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Well met indeed Azhar i’bn Khaleed. I will have one of my men freshen up your mounts. While one more is standing watch, we will then stand together for the afternoon prayer. As the profit says the larger the crowd praying together, the more the good deed recorded by the angels of heaven. I hope you give us the honor of leading the prayer.

Spoiler
    Show

Afternoon prayer can be performed right away. The time for it is almost exactly now. The prayer should take about 5-10 minutes.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-18 at 02:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Jayanti combs her memory trying to remember the prayer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[20] Presuming thats enough she continues.

In Arabic
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You do me great honor sir. Are you sure you would not lead them yourself? You have stood here bravely and standing in combat while we have been merely mucking about in the swamps."

When the man insists, she continues in Arabic
    Spoiler
    Show
    "As you wish. Let me speak with my companions for a but a breath, we will join you at your camp momentarily."
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-04-18 at 02:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

You remember the prayer, it's a complicated ritual performed facing Mecca. But you have learnt it in the past.

Bakr continues
    Spoiler
    Show

Mucking about in the swamps? you underestimate the bravery of yourself and your men, guiding outriders in the persian territory is no small task. We will be honored to follow you in prayer, and I will be honored to know your men.

He then rides up to Pedram, saying (still in arabic)
    Spoiler
    Show

Greetings brave soldier of allah. May the blessings of the profit and the khalif be upon you in your travels. I am Bakr son of Aas, what is your name my brother?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Seth

Bowing slightly to show his deference, Seth answers for Pedram in arabic :
    Spoiler
    Show

"Ah, they will not understand you, honored sir.... Our leaders in their wisdom have recruited some local horsemen to assist us in scouting. These heathens only speak Persian, but hate their own kind, and help us willingly. We have only lately began to instruct them in the holy tongue, and in the proper methods of prayer." {bluff = (1d20+9)[21], not sure if this can be counted as 'assisting' Jayanti in her bluff :)}

12. - Top - End - #162

Imp

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's a convenient moment when the party is out of earshot of the patrol, Ista will say that he is quite capable of leading the prayers, but his ability to bluff otherwise is quite poor. If Jiyanti doesn't want him to lead the prayers he can help give some pointers to the patrol.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Unholier, I need to know if you are in or out. If I don't hear from you by Wednesday, I will start contacting people for a replacement.

Frustrated by Pedram's lack of immediate response and before Seth can give his explanation, Bakr signals one of his men. Seth's explanation arrives shortly and seems to convince him somewhat. At least until the man he had signaled yells out something in Arabic, which causes all of the arabs to draw their scimitars.
    Spoiler
    Show

All of them, they are all damned to the fires of hell.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative Rolls, and actions for the first round please.

Please read back my first combat post again, to remember how I want you to format your posts.

14. - Top - End - #164

Matias

Spoiler
    Show
    Init - (1d20+3)[22]
    {table]Matias |Ranger 6
    HP 42/42: 0 nonlethal |Speed: 40
    AC/T/FF |19/13/16
    Melee Atk |A. Blade: +10/+5 / 1d6 + 2/1
    Ranged |Longbow: +10/+5 / 1d8+2
    Saves |Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2[/table]

OOC: italics are thoughts

Matias curses silently when the Arab's begin to draw their weapons. What I wouldn't give to know their damn language he thinks.

Spoiler
    Show
    My actions are dependent on where I fall in the order of things. Ideally, I could dismount while drawing my bow and try for a ranged sneak attack against the leader.

Failing that, I would try to shoot someone else who is still flat-footed.

Then again, I'm not sure if I can stack those two move actions together .

Either way, I dismount into the space ^ (14,12?) from mine. If I can draw and shoot, good. Otherwise I'll just draw my blades and let them do the talking.

Edit: Whoops. I'll roll (if I even need to) in the OOC thread
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-04-21 at 02:36 PM.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Init:(1d20)[20]
    Agreed on the subject of actions. Before we declare actions can we get a list of initiatives or just declare our action when its our turn?

HP: 35
    AC: 13/10

Jayanti will probably drop from her camel and slap its rump to send it running among the Arab's horses while she retreats to her own sides line.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Seth

Spoiler
    Show

Init (1d20+3)[22]
    HP 23/23
    AC 17 , 14 flat , 13 touch
    Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2

Does my sense motive give me advance notice? I'd probly know about 'detect unbeliever'. Have I been studying the leader for 3 rounds?

If Seth can catch wind of the arab's sense unbeliever before he reports it to his captain (sense motive [roll]1d20+ 9[/roll]), then he will distract the captain briefly (bluff : look over there! something shocking! (1d20+9)[27]) and give him a good face stabbing (hopefully 3 rounds have gone by. If not, but Seth still acts in suprise round, then he will circle the captain (5ft step) to flank with one of the other teammates and then sneak attack him.

Spoiler
    Show

rapier stabbity(1d20+5)[23] crit confirm (18-20)(1d20+5)[21], damage (1d6+1)[2]. Sneak attack(?) (4d6)[12] Death attack (if possible) = DC 16
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-04-21 at 08:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

I rolled the initiative for the missing members, Pedram has been unresponsive and I will DMPC him, Ista acts as instructed by IamNotJeff in the first round of combat. That is, do nothing and execute total defense.

As for knowing when you move, with initiative rolls as yours I think it would've been safe to assume you go before them (which you do)

start of combat is the Arab soldier's alarming tone and the drawing of weapons, there are no surprise rounds.

Combat Round 1

Matias - Init 22

The ranger quickly dismounts his horse, and draws his blades.

Seth - Init 22

Seth Guides his horse around quickly, having studied Bakr's armor while he was talking to Jayanti he knows of a small opening under the helm and swiftly guides his blade through the opening cutting the enemy's spinal cord.

Spoiler
    Show

He failed his save! I hate you! (I'm starting to think, this level appropriate encounters are not really level appropriate! I'm sure you are not supposed to be able to take down a tough fighter just like that!)

Jayanti - Init 20

The slight woman jumps down her camel and encourages the animal to run thorough the horses. But the experienced arab riders are not deterred and hold their ground.

Pedram -Init 16

With Bakr out of the way, Pedram charges the closest soldier. "Surrender, or be prepared to meet your maker."

Spoiler
    Show

Attack and damage rolls:
    [roll0]- Bah previewing the post!! I rerolled for him using a real dice and he missed.
    [roll1]

Bakr -Init 12 (dead)

His body falls from the horse, while the horse gets itself out of the immediate combat zone.

Ista - Init 9

Remains in the back anticipating to rush in as soon as his medical expertise are needed, at the same time he uses his shield to cover himself as well as he can.

Arab Soldiers - Init 5
    Momentarily taken a back by their leaders demise, the soldiers regain their footing and charge in. At least most of them do. One turns around and gallops away. Of the remaining ones, the one engaged in combat with Pedram tries to hit him, and fails. Two attack Seth swearing vengeance, one hist solidly while the others blow is weak and seth dodges it easily. Two charge Jayanti and both hit, and the last one tries to hit Matias misses by a wide margin.

Spoiler
    Show

Seth: 5 pts of damage
    Jayanti: 8 pts of damage
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-22 at 02:31 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 26
    AC: 13/10

on her turn unless she can't avoid hitting her allies Jayanti does the following

Jayanti shouts in Persian, "Matias, anyone, kill the fleeing man! Hit his horse! Anything!"
    She then takes a step back and unleashes a wave of flame over the two soldiers who confronted her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4)[1] EDIT: well... at least they're on fire

They and their horses need to make DC 15 reflex saves for half damage. Regardless of the save they're on fire. On their turns they can take full round actions to extinguish the flames or else they continue burning.
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-04-22 at 08:20 AM. Reason: fixed color tags

19. - Top - End - #169

Imp

Ista shouts (in Persian):

"In the name of all that is good, someone stop that rider! Jiyanti, can you prayers and taunts bring him back here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    HP 42, AC 31/16. If the rider is down by the time it's Ista's turn, he reserves to heal.

If the rider is still going, Ista drops his body shield, draws his bow. If the horse has already been shot, he shoots the horse. If not, he shoots the rider. If he attacks, it is HP 42, AC 22, to hit (d20+4)[6], damage (d8+2)[9].

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm having enormous computer troubles, but I hope to have it fixed soon.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Seth

Spoiler
    Show

Init : 22
    HP : 18/23
    AC : 17 (13 touch, 14 flat)
    Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2[

Confronted by two men, Seth digs into his bag o tricks... Feinting at one with his rapier, he stabs for the other one with his poisoned dagger, and circles, trying to keep the leftmost of his opponents between himself and the other one.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action : Feint against leftmost opponent (I'm going to stab your friend, not you...) bluff (1d20+9)[28], Attack with dagger (1d20+5)[24] (crit 19-20 possible confirm(1d20)[2]), dagger damage (1d4)[1], Poison DC 19 Fort, Con Damage (1d6+1)[6] initial, secondary damage same in 1minute (10 rounds), Sneak attack damage (4d6)[13].

5ft step north, the further north guy was my target (to my left)
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-04-22 at 11:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Matias
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matias |Ranger 6
    AC/T/FF |19/13/16
    Melee Atk |Arascid Blade: +10/+5 / 1d6 + 2/1
    Saves |Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2

"Of course one runs," he spits irritatedly. Dropping his daggers, he whips out his bow while side stepping to his right. There he natches two arrows, and aims for a split second before firing at the fleeing arab's horse

Spoiler
    Show
    5 ft step to 10,15 while drawing bow (blades are in 11,15). Using Many shot to double shot the horse of the fleeing arab.
    Attack1 - (1d20+6)[17] : with the -4 penalty for many shot
    Attack2 - (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage1 - (d8+2)[4]
    Damage2 - (d8+2)[5]
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Combat Round 2

Matias - Init 22
    Spoiler
    Show

This is a very bad position for shooting. He is far away and there is a horse, it's rider and Jayanti directly between you and him!

The ranger drops his daggers, draws his bow and fires a pair of arrows in a fluid motion all while dodging a blow from the Arab rider fighting him. One hits the mark and injures the horse, while the other is grazes another one of the riders on it's way and misses its mark.

Seth - Init 22

Guiding the horse with his knees, Seth tricks his target and lands a telling blow. The rider slides off the horse bleeding badly.

Jayanti - Init 20

Smell of burning hair fills the air fire shoots from Jayanti's hands and engulfs the two soldiers harassing her.

Pedram -Init 16

Feeling the urgency of not letting anyone flee, Pedram asks for a favor from Ahura and brings down his weapon with all his might. His sward cuts deep into the man's flesh. He is badly injured and struggles to keep himself in the saddle.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack and damage rolls:
    (1d20+13)[26]
    (1d8+9)[14]

Ista - Init 9

The priest drops his shield and aims at the fleeting rider, but is distracted by his concern for his allies and shots far off the mark.

Arab Soldier- running - Init 5
    He continues to gallop away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    distance to you at the end of this turn: approximately 600 ft

Arab Soldiers - Fighting - Init 5
    The ones still standing continue to fight. It becomes clear very quickly that they are outmatched terribly as only one manages to land a blow, and even then it's barely more than a scratch on Jayanti's arm.

Spoiler
    Show

Jayanti: 3 pts of damage
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-22 at 03:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Jayanti moves away from the burning riders and their screaming horses in an effort to get a clearer shot. As she moves along she draws her crossbow and lets a shot fly, hoping against hope for a lucky strike.

While her curse is a tongue no one present understands, the anger is very clear. Jayanti sputters in rage as the bolt shatters and explodes in the crossbow sending splinters of wood flying everywhere.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless Matias or someone else takes down the horse or guy before Jayanti's turn she does the described action moving to 07,07 and provoking AoO from the two burning guys. If someone does kill the escapee she steps away and lets loose with a gout of fire on the soldier and horse in 12,08 (obviously avoiding Seth).

Roll to hit with crossbow +5 normal -14 for being 7 range increments away. (1d20-9)[-8]

Wow, that is the exact opposite of the natural twenty I needed to hit.
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-04-23 at 12:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Imp

Spoiler
    Show
    Ista positions himself to protect Remo from any possible remaining enemy troops and then reserves to heal anyone who needs it.

25. - Top - End - #175

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Matias |Ranger 6
    AC/T/FF |19/13/16
    Saves |Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2[/table]

Matias, resigned to letting the runner escape, instead raises his bow to the closest arab and lets fly a volly of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    I provoke AoOs for this, but what the heck. Full attack + rapidshot at nearest enemy.
    Attacks: (3d20)[6][8][15](29)
    Totals (+8, +8, +3): 14, 16, 18
    Damage: (3d8)[3][5][2](10)
    Totals (+2 each): 5, 7, 4
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-04-23 at 07:24 PM.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Combat Round 3

Matias - Init 22

The rider tries unsuccessfully to hit Matias as he sends a volley of arrows his way. One hit him in the thigh while the other embeds itself into his stomach, the last arrow grazes his cheek leaving a bloody scratch but no serious wound.

Seth - Init 22

Surprised at how easily two of the enemies fell under his strike, Seth misses the opportunity to strike at the closest foe.

Jayanti - Init 20

As Jayanti moves away from the riders to fire her crossbow, one of the manages to strike past her defenses and inflict another wound on the inexperienced combatant.

Pedram -Init 16

Pedram cuts down his opponent and immediately his mount takes off after the escaping rider. He shouts back at you "Finish these off, I will try to stop the last one."

Spoiler
    Show

Attack and damage rolls:
    (1d20+10)[17]
    (1d8+3)[10]

Second attack if needed:
    (1d20+5)[25]
    (1d8+3)[10]
    Not needed after all!

Ista - Init 9

Ista moves into position to protect Remo from possible danger. While watching the battle closely in case his services are needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    distance to you at the end of this turn: approximately 900 ft You can barely see him in the cloud of dust he is leaving behind.

The ones still standing continue to fight. The one injured by Matias takes a token revenge by scoring a solid hit on the ranger. Seth's opponent is as distracted as Seth himself and completely misses the mark. While the other two close on Jayanti and try to hit her again unsuccessfully.

Spoiler
    Show

Jayanti: 3 pts of damage.
    Matias: 5 pts of damage.
    Last edited by CGCL_Andy; 2008-04-24 at 06:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Seth

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about not posting, dunno how I missed it yesterday.

Init : 22
    HP : 18/23
    AC : 17 (13 touch, 14 flat)
    Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +2[

Turning to face the remaining soldier, Seth first feints towards his face with his rapier, then angles his rapier to come in under the soldier's ribcage. Guiding his horse, he maneuvers backwards towards Ista by 5 feet.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action : Feint against remaining opponent (defend against a face stabbing! Fake!) bluff (1d20+9)[23], Attack with rapier (1d20+5)[12] (crit 18-20 possible confirm(1d20+5)[12]), rapier damage (1d6+1)[6], Sneak attack damage (4d6)[15].
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-04-24 at 07:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Jayanti curses at the remaining soldier, pointing out the hopelessness of his situation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using the inspire despair ability of the silver tongued feat: Allows me to use Crushing Despair if I make a DC 25 Diplomacy check. He gets a Will save at DC 10+1/2 My ranks in Diplomacy+Charisma modifier (19) to resist.
    diplomacy check (1d20+25)[40]includes +5 from aura,

Which reminds me, Seth gets a +5 bonus to all his bluff checks since he's within 60 feet of me. The aura adds my Charisma modifier (+5) to all charisma based skill checks allies make within 60 feet. Not that he seems to need it, but it is there regardless.
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-04-24 at 09:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Matias |Ranger 6
    HP 37/42: 0 nonlethal |Speed: 40
    AC/T/FF |19/13/16
    Saves |Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2
    [/table]

Matias simply snarls at his opponent, steps back and fluidly draws back his bow, releasing more arrows at the wounded soldier, planning on taking out any other wounded as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how many of them are standing at this point, but I take a 5 ft. step north, and use my rapid shot again. First target is the arab that hit me, but after that he shoots at the weakest of them.

Attacks - (3d20)[20][6][18](44) - +8, +8, +3 respectively
    Totals: 28, 14, 11
    Damage - (3d8)[1][7][7](15) - +2 (all)
    Totals: 3, 9, 9
    Crit confirmed - att 25, extra damage 10
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-04-25 at 04:40 PM.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Combat Round 4

Matias - Init 22

Matias's first arrow finds a weak link in the riders chain shirt and passes right through his heart. His lifeless body hits the ground shortly after.

The ranger then turns his attention to one of the riders attacking Jayanti, his next shot is miss, but his last arrow finds its target and embed itself into the riders flesh.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now that was a shot to bring down the run away rider with! Unfortunately Roy's dad forgot to mention you should shoot at him! ;)

Seth - Init 22

Seth fools his adversary but his rapier slashes at his armor without any effect.

Jayanti - Init 20

Jayanti taunts the rider attacking her, promising to feed his corpse to the dogs.

Pedram -Init 16

Pedram continues to chase down the one rider that got away.

Ista - Init 9

Ista keeps close to remo, while still looking at the battle carefully to see if anyone needs his help.

The ones still standing continue to fight. as if surrender is an option that do not consider. But none of them manage to inflict a wound.