New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkworld IC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Darkworld IC

Elva

Elva strides forward and turns left around Daar, determined to have the she-wolf surrounded. But her eyes keep darting to the other wolves, mindful of any attacks they might make on her while she goes for the leader. Now that she's close to her, she can't help wondering if there's anything in this world, anything at all that this magnificent animal fears. Oh, but you should, she thinks, and drives down her staff with both hands and all of her might, in a large arc, aiming for the animal's head.

In the meantime, Gray seems infuriated that the she-wolf evaded him, and sets on her with a wild growl, trying to tear her ribs, while the white wolf attacks again, frenzied by the taste of blood in his mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elva: Move to I-18 (3 squares, half speed), tumble (1d20+5)[21], attack (1d20+8)[24], damage with sneak attack: [roll]1d6+4+2d6[/roll]
    Gray: attack (1d20+8)[16], damage (1d6+6)[9]
    White Wolf: AC 16, hit dice 2d8+8 (24 hit points IF full), attack (1d20+7)[8], damage (1d6+3)[9]
    Included flanking bonus for all.
    I completely forgot the bonus from augmented summoning for the first round, please add 2 damage...

Knowledge (nature) about the she-wolf in particular: (1d20+13)[32]
    Spot as a free action, to see how the wolves are moving in the web (which ones seem slowed): (1d20+8)[18]

If the she-wolf moves, the animals will attempt to follow her, and Elva will attempt to put herself in a flanking position before attacking. If she provokes an attack from another wolf, she will probably ignore it for the moment, unless she (or Daar) gets badly wounded.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Tura:

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature) This particular specimen is a "half-breed" Giant Dire wolf, which was born of the pairing of a gian wolf and a dire wolf. Known as particularly fierce and wise opponents, these wolves hunt in packs and are sometimes known to give their lives for one another. You get a sense that the She-Wolf is in a protective stance, and that it is unlikely that she will willingly leave the battlefield.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arlen, ranger/wizard

Straightening from his casting crouch, the crafty black huntsman swiftly scanned the battle, his keen mind swiftly running through possibilities and priorities.
    What do I know about wolves like that one not enough time to study through that question. Could cast a cantrip to weary her it doesn't work as often on stronger creatures like her. Just arrows then focus on the leader. Can't waste the magic arrows I'll never be able to retrieve them. Two other wolves about to break free Edder and Imbris fatigued can't worry about it just keep moving. What's that fire we're moving toward don't know but Sul wants us there and fire can't hurt as a weapon. The wolves that killed Cullen and the merchant went this way - should watch out for them.

As he raises his longbow, he nods to Sul. "Check on the wolves" - the owl understands perfectly, lifting off his shoulder with graceful swiftness. He moves then with rapid precision, firing off one arrow, and then another in the same heartbeat. Lowering the bow, he begins moving to the north, directing the nearest noncombatant, "Make sure Edder keeps going." He readies his bow for the next wolf, keeping an eye to the east in case the wolves return.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thinking - free action (good thing, huh? )
    Directing Sul - free action
    Arrows - full-round action (Rapid Shot)
    5-foot step to 15M - free action
    Speaking to nearest noncombatant - free action

Sul will understand his words as "Check on the wolves near Cullen and see if they're a threat", specifically if they incoming or not. She flies to 14U, about 30 feet high, and looks for them. Spot - (1d20+18)[19]

Attack 1 - (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage 1 - (1d8)[5]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage 2 - (1d8)[5]
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The weakest members of the caravan do the best they can to move quickly north, off the road, into the trees. The able-bodied allow the injured and weak to lean on them, while doing their best to stay alert.

What remains of the caravan is almost at the tree line when four wolves appear over the rise to the Northeast. Their ears are up and alert, and even in the torchlight, the caravanners can see their dark, blood-stained jaws and necks. They must have paused just long enough to kill Cullen and the Merchant, and then turned back to live prey.

Upon sighting the vulnerable humans, the small pack race in to the kill, only to find ashen spears set against their charge. One wolf impales himself, taking fully half the length of the shaft into his body. The point protrudes from between his shoulderblades, but he does not fall. The defender is unable to hold his spear as the wolf rears up on its hind legs and howls in pain.

The other three are nicked and slashed, but not seriously wounded. One wolf almost playfully swings a paw behind and beneath a defender's legs, throwing him to the ground, and then savages his leg and torso.

A few arrows fly into the night, but none is able to bite into the wolf flesh.

The wounded cower behind the defenders, praying for deliverance.

The Old Woman, instead of cowering, picks up a dry, fallen fir branch at her feet and lights it on a torch which has fallen to the ground. She waves her makeshift firebrand in the air.

Come closer, Curs! You'll get a burnt muzzle when ya try to bite me!

To the southeast, Jeb uses his broken spear like a quarterstaff, a valiant but ineffective effort. The blows that land glance off and seem not to deter the She-Wolf's wild attacks.

Edder does not move, but stares at the She-Wolf in a kind of trance.

Spoiler
    Show
    More to come. Specifically, wolf attacks!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The wolves in the sticky spiderweb-like strands are having trouble freeing themselves. One wolf is just able to make it out of the goo, and he stands panting for a moment before he can join the fray.

Kraalkar whips himself into a frenzy, dodging the savage, hungry jaws of the two wolves facing off against him and lopping the ear off of one of his attackers.

Gray's fury gives her the strength to bite the right foreleg of the She-Wolf, crunching bone between her teeth.

The momentary distraction of Gray's bite causes the She-Wolf to recoil in pain just as Arlen's first arrow whizzes by. Those within range then hear a pop, and Arlen's second arrow now protrudes from the shoulder of the She-Wolf. She involuntarily yelps with pain. Her left foreleg, which she was favoring before the fight, seems to have stiffened further, limiting her mobility.

Spoiler
    Show
    Updated Map coming soon.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[23] Second attack (-2 for second attack, +2 for flanking)
    (3d6+7)[18] Damage (I forgot to add 3 points of damage to my previous attack from my increased Strength and 2-handed weapon)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

After lopping off an ear, Kraalkar's greatsword whips around a second time, too fast for the eye to follow, and shears the wolf's head from his body.

Uluia Steps forward and jabs her spear at a wolf who has nearly freed himself from the web. Her comrade is still ensnarled in the sticky mess.

I will try to protect you from these snapping jaws, but you must free yourself from the mire!

Nearby, Imbris takes a step to the right jabs his spear at the wolf he is flanking with Kraalkar. He hits the wolf, but without enough force to pierce its hide.

Spot as a free action, to see how the wolves are moving in the web (which ones seem slowed): (1d20+8)[18]
    Most of the wolves are stuck fast, but one wolf does manage to free himself from the web. He now stands behind the summoned white wolf, growling.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-13 at 09:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Daar, Barbarian/Cleric

Daar resets her jaw and prepares to make another swing at the more injured She-Wolf, challenging her in a mixture of Uruk and Common. "Come on! Azizsh ghurg if you can!" she taunts and then her sword arm flashes.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

As Daar's blade slices her snout, The She-Wolf recoils. With nowhere to turn, she gathers herself and slams Jeb in the chest with her muzzle, knocking him back ten feet. Then she runs toward the road and howls long and loud. Dozens of howls answer her from the Western wood.

Spoiler
    Show
    End Round Two. You may begin Round Three. I'll have a map up tonight.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

The wolf's body collapses. Hot blood spurts and steams in the snow. Massive muscles bunch and relax as Kraalkar whips the heavy blade around and over his head, and then hammers it down onto the wolf that had ripped his leg.

The world is hazed in red, and the cries and howls around Kraalkar reach his ears as though from a distant place.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[19] Attack 1 against K-13
    (3d6+7)[23] Damage for attack 1
    (1d20+7)[10] Attack 2 against K-13 (if it's still up, otherwise against I-15)
    (3d6+7)[21] Damage for attack 2

I have Cleave--so I'll roll my extra attack (for downing the previous wolf) in a separate post. The newly dead wolf is in L-13, and the Cleave attack will be against the wolf in K-13 that Imbris just flanked (which is the same wolf I'm taking these two attacks against).
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-13 at 05:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[15] Cleave attack against K-13
    (3d6+7)[12] Damage for Cleave

12. - Top - End - #42

Daar, Barbarian/Cleric

Exhilarated that the She-Wolf looks to be breaking, Daar raises her falchion wanting to finish her off before she gets to escape

Spoiler
    Show
    AOO on the She-Wolf:
    attack: (1d20+6)[12]
    damage: (2d6+3)[10]

-Walt Disney

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

"No!" yells Elva as the she-wolf lunges towards Jeb, and brings her staff down on the pack's leader. At the same time, Gray and the white wolf, born hunters, dash at the fleeing she-wolf.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO:
    Elva: attack (1d20+8)[26], damage with sneak attack (3d6+4)[8]
    Gray: attack (1d20+8)[23], damage (1d6+6)[12]
    White Wolf: attack (1d20+7)[13], damage (1d6+3)[7]
    Included flanking bonus for all.

14. - Top - End - #44

Arlen

"Damn, I should've known they'd be coming back! Better leave that wolf bitch for the others, Sul, or our companions won't last." Sul takes off immediately, fearlessly going to lend what aid she can, while Arlen lifts his bow and lets fly another volley before stepping north again. "Get to that fire!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1 - (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage 1 - (1d8)[1]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage 2 - (1d8)[7]
    Attacking the wolf in 10Qthat looks healthiest and that Sul isn't flanking* - full-round action.
    5-foot step north to 14M - free action.
    Speech - free action.

Sul takes a double move to 8R, going up and back down over the wolves so as not to provoke AoOs. She now offers flanking bonuses to the NPCs in 8P and 10P. Her AC is 19 (touch 15, flat-footed 16).

Pardon the "cuss" word, but it's technically perfectly appropriate.

*Pardon the complexity, but Arlen's trying to be as efficient as possible. He'll aim for a healthy-looking one (of the four in the NE), but also one that isn't being flanked, as he wants to maximize Sul's effectiveness.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-14 at 02:15 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

The white wolf sniffs the air, having sensed danger behind it. He immediately turns around and comes face to face with the wolf that managed to free itself from the web. Without a second thought, the white wolf bites savagely.

Elva looks in horror as the she-wolf reaches the most unprotected member of the group. "Gray, defend." she says quickly, and the faithful dog runs east like the wind, turns left and charges. "Close your eyes, boy, and let go!" yells Elva to Eddar. With things happening so fast, she can't begin to explain anything to the frightened child. Instead of attacking, Gray leaps on Eddar with his full weight, carefully keeping his claws contracted so as not to hurt the boy, and tries to push him back, as far away from the she-wolf as possible.

The air behind the leader of the pack becomes a blur once again, but this time it's no wolf that comes out of it, it is a winged beast. A winged mare, with an eagle's beak and claws, magnificent and arrogant, flaps her winds behind her and stands on her hind legs, well above the she-wolf's head. She then fiercely slashes with her forelegs, and lunges to bite the large wolf.

Elva steps forward and stares, with her hand still on her torc and her eyes gleaming with nothing short of reverence. "Thank you" she whispers.

Spoiler
    Show

Elva: summon full-round action, 5-foot step to J-17.
    White Wolf: attack (the wolf in G-19) [roll]1d20+5[/roll] for [roll]1d6+3[/roll] damage.
    Gray: moves to K-20, charges diagonally to N-17 (where Eddar is) and bull rushes him 10ft, sending him to P-15, so that now Gray is in O-16. AC 17, Strength check: [roll]1d20+7[/roll]
    Hippogriff: position O-18 (O-19, P-18, P-19). Full attack: claw [roll]1d20+10[/roll] for [roll]1d4+6[/roll] damage , claw [roll]1d20+10[/roll] for [roll]1d4+6[/roll] damage and bite [roll]1d20+5[/roll] for [roll]1d8+2[/roll] damage. AC 15.
    Flanking bonus applied.

Note: if Gray doesn't manage to push Eddar back that far (or at all), the Hippogriff will appear a bit to the right. (I'll calculate that later if there's any need, the point is to keep flanking.)
    EDIT- Yeah... I'll go to OOC and roll now...
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-03-14 at 03:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Daar, Barbarian/Cleric

"You won't get to the others without a fight" Daar growls at the She-Wolf although she knows that she can't reply. Once again she raises her blade, looking to mortally wound their leader.

Spoiler
    Show

It seems to me as though the she-wolf isn't totally out of range - if she is I will edit. I'm also adding a flanking bonus - if she isn't flanked anymore, pls take 2 off of that.
    attack: (1d20+8)[9]
    damage: (2d6+3)[12]

-Walt Disney

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Kraalkar's battle-fury turns him into a force of destruction. Upon decapitating one of his opponents, his blade circles quickly, slicing deeply into the other wolf's thick hide, and then plunging the blade into its chest. The wolf's body goes limp and slumps into the snow.

"No!" yells Elva as the she-wolf lunges towards Jeb, and brings her staff down on the pack's leader. At the same time, Gray and the white wolf, born hunters, dash at the fleeing she-wolf.

Daar's falchion cuts a hank of hair off the She-Wolf's hide as she tries to escape the circle, but in avoiding the large uruk, she inadvertantly turns her savage jaws away, leaving herself open. Elva and Gray move as one--Grey savages the She-Wolf's underbelly while Elva's staff cracks her on the head, right between the ears.

A moment later, Jeb is sprawling on the snow. He has dropped his spear-shaft, and he makes no effort to regain his feet.

The she wolf somehow makes her way across the battlefield to the road, where Edder is standing, awestruck. She pauses just long enough to voice an ear-shattering, keening, plaintive howl. Dozens of wolves' voices rise to meet her own.

Gray pushes Edder back without resistance. The boy falls hard on the snow, but is not hurt. He pulls himself into a ball on the ground.

Instantly, the wolves attacking the caravanners perk their ears and charge to their matriarch's defense. One gets a spear in the side as he turns to run. Two arrows plunge into the shoulderof one wolf as he charges. He breaks stride, but resumes his run. Two arrows from the bows of the caravanners hit another wolf in the flank as he runs to the fight.

The immediate threat gone, the caravanners head into the woods.

The old woman can't help taunting the wolves. She waves her firebrand in the dark air.

Come back, ya pups! I'll teach you to mess with Meg Gerney!

A strange, winged creature materializes behind the She-Wolf. She doesn't see it, but somehow nearly dodges its blows. Its claw and beak rend the She-Wolf's back. She cringes, but she does not fall. Two wolves unhesitatingly leap to attack the wierd creature. One snaps and misses, and the other bites the hippogriff's foreclaw, leaving deep trenches which drip golden blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    H. takes 17 damage

The third wolf attacker lunges at Gray just as she is recovering from pushing the boy back, ripping a nasty wound in her side. The fourth wolf manages to throw off Daar's attack by snapping at her sword arm just as she is about to deliver a telling blow against the She-Wolf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gray takes 14 damage

The white wolf and the wolf who has recently freed himself from the mire continue to bite and dodge, and it seems that, for now, the white wolf is winning his battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everybody make spot and listen checks. By the way, you do realize that Sul is incredibly vulnerable if she allows herself to get within striking distnace of these wolves' jaws. I'm just saying...

END ROUND THREE. YOU MAY BEGIN ROUND FOUR.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I got all the action, but if I left anything out, just let me know. I'm writing this under a time crunch.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[20] Cleave attack against J-14 for downing the second wolf in the previous round
    (3d6+6)[18] Damage on Cleave attack

(1d20+7)[24] Attack 1 in this round, vs. J-14 or I-13 if J-14 is dead
    (3d6+6)[9] Damage

(1d20+7)[17] Attack 2 in this round, vs. J-14 or I-13 if J-14 is dead
    (3d6+6)[17] Damage

(1d20+7)[16] Cleave attack for this round if I get one (against I-13)
    (3d6+6)[12]

Kraalkar is not paying that much attention to the other wolves behind him, given that he has so much to work with in front of him. These are the attacks he'll make unless the updated map makes some other action blindingly obvious. I'll be away from my computer today, so I won't be able to check until this evening. Please let me know if any of the moving wolves provoke an attack of opportunity from Kraalkar.

Kraalkar does not slow down when the second wolf drops; if anything, he moves faster, his blade a blur in the torchlight. His face is locked in a savage snarl, and his eyes flash with rage.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-15 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Clarified attacks

19. - Top - End - #49

Daar Barbarian/Cleric

Daar's focus changes as the new wolf nearly hits her as she went after the She-Wolf. She resets herself slightly and goes after this new threat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+8)[12]
    Listen: (1d20+11)[16]
    Attack wolf 4: (1d20+6)[18]
    damage: (2d6+3)[12]

-Walt Disney

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Having seen his brother slaughtered by one spear-thrust just seconds before, one wolf fights his way through the sticky mess away from Uluia. He is almost free!

Moments later, three swift strokes of Kraalkar's greatsword cut him deeply and then slice him in half, quickly ending his struggle.

The unfortunate wolf's sister attempts to push herself away from the raging giant, but his final blow catches her side and opens a deep wound between her ribs.

Daar frees her sword arm from the ravening beast who confounded her last attack and brings her falchion down hard on the wolf's shoulder.

The snow turns to sleet.

Spoiler
    Show

If you made spot/listen DC 20: In the midst of the chaos of the battle, you hear to the north, through the trees, the soud of men shouting. You probably noticed earlier the caravanners heading into the forest for protection. If you glance over as you fight, you see the caravanners grouped near the place where you first saw the fire in the woods. Although their bodies block the fire now, you can see its light reflecting off the branches of the fir trees swaying over it.

On the other side of the fire, illuminated by its light, you see the head and shoulders of a brutish humanoid towering over the caravanners. He is brandishing a spear twice the size of Uluia's, though he doesn't seem to be attacking the caravaners. His rough, heavily accented voice booms out of the little clearing and is even audible to your trained ears.

I SAID, GO AWAY! He speaks in the Varsa tongue, though the accent suggests he is not from Stone or the surrounding area.

Ooc:
    {Those of you who didn't make a DC 20 spot didn't see this at all. Perhaps you were busy. Those who didn't make a DC listen check heard it, but couldn't make out what he was saying.}

OoC: {Here's the new Map. It somehow has been shrunk to 1/4 its usual size. I'll fix it, but here's how to get along in the meantime: use the zoom slider on the right to make the image big enough to see. Sorry, guys, but like I said, I'll fix it.}

Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-15 at 02:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Hearing Gray yelp in pain makes Elva wince as if it was her who received the blow. She runs next to the elkhound, clearly in distress, only barely remembering to move in a small arc so as not to come too close to the nearest wolf. "I'm here" she says softly to Gray, and then anger wells up inside her as she sees the wound in her side. She raises her staff to strike the she-wolf, the most dangerous foe threatening her dog right now.

Opposite of her, the hippogriff lets out a piercing shriek, exclaiming more wrath than pain. The winged mare's foreleg comes down slashing the she-wolf in tremendous force, and then she strikes again. As for Gray, she bravely holds the line and resumes fighting.

Farther west, the white wolf has disappeared into nothingness as mysteriously as he had appeared. And the commotion up north is something that Elva opts to ignore it for the moment, having her hands full.

Spoiler
    Show

Elva: attack (1d20+8)[12] for (3d6+4)[10] damage
    Gray: attack (1d20+6)[14] for (1d6+6)[8] damage, AC 19, hit points 26/40
    Hippogriff: claw (1d20+10)[30] for (1d4+6)[9] damage , claw (1d20+10)[24] for (1d4+6)[10] damage and bite (1d20+5)[7] for (1d8+2)[6] damage. AC 15, hit points 28/45
    Flanking bonus applied only for Elva and the Hippogriff.
    Elva to N-16. If Big Mama falls, proceed to nearest wolf. Did she fall already? That was a crit...
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-03-15 at 05:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The hippogriff's razor-sharp talon flashes for an instant in the firelight before plunging deep into the wolf's neck. The talon emerges, bloodied and steaming, into the freezing air. Confusion and surprise play over the She-Wolf's countenance, and all who look upon her can see see the wisdom in her eyes.

She raises her head to give one last howl that won't come. Instead, she chokes, and a stream of blood splashes on the snow at her feet. She looks up into the eyes of her destroyer. A second talon sweeps in from the left to finish the grisly work, and this time the She-Wolf doesn't even try to avoid the blow. Her heart pumps what must be the last of her blood--a river which flows down her neck and forepaws. Her knees buckle. Her heavy body collapses into the snow.

Time slows perceptibly. The combatants pause, realizing the gravity of this moment.

A long howl of anguish and vengeance, a mournful keening cry, cuts the air from the West. It is answered by countless howls. If you look at the moon you can just make out the silhouette of a giant wolfen form standing on a small hillock above the battlefield. He surveys the scene with giant, burning eyes. In the woods, the eyes of his followers smolder with the same eerie shine.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-15 at 10:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva freezes on the spot, petrified. A chill runs down her spine and her heart all but stops beating. A terrible foreboding and an inexplicable feeling of loss consumes her. She glances to the western sky, and without knowing why or if there is a shred of truth in her words, she whispers, breathless:

"Dear gods. It's the father."

Spoiler
    Show

free spot: (1d20+8)[14]
    knowledge (nature) for the giant wolf, and also for the expected reaction of the pack: (1d20+10)[30]
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-03-15 at 09:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Arlen

Arlen turns swiftly at the sound, his satisfaction chilled before it had fully risen. He darts swiftly toward the fire, Sul returning to him and then matching pace. If they didn't reach the fire now, they would never make it to Stone. He stops and turns, making sure his companions are keeping pace with him, and scouring his meager remaining store of magic for anything that might help. He had the first glimmer of a plan, but he would have to time it perfectly.

Drawing from a belt pouch a small lump of wax, Arlen presses it in his hand, molding it swiftly into a crude approximation of a mouth. Then, shouting in a strangely harsh and strong voice, he utters "Azgala rakir modas!" and hurls the wax into the woods directly between the giant wolf, his pack, and the party. Instantly, an incredibly loud, hissing sound between a screech and a roar issues from the spot where the wax landed. Arlen waited - if his spell work had taken hold properly, that sound would be a replication of the Dragon's roar, an ultimate predator who, if his guess was correct, the wolves would fear like none other.

Spoiler
    Show
    One move action toward the fire, readying an action to cast a spell (potentially casting it now, actually).
    Knowledge (nature) to figure out what these wolves would be most afraid of, whether that be noise, deep water, or another type of predator, as well as anything he knows about the giant wolf:(1d20+14)[33]
    Knowledge (geography) to get Arlen's BEST possible estimate of how long until the wolves get to them, as precisely as possible: (1d20+8)[17]
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-16 at 12:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Daar, Barbarian/Cleric

Looking at the wolf on the hillock, Daar's lips move without actually speaking. She shakes her head slightly and then goes for the next wolf in her path.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is a VERY busy day and I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open, sorry about that.

Attack the nearest wolf if there is one in range: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[10]

-Walt Disney

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Arlen:

Spoiler
    Show

Arlen knows quite a bit about the wolves of this region, and especially giant wolves. This particular wolf is a giant wolf (a large creature, by RAW) which is actually heavier and longer than a warhorse and more than twice as deadly and tough as a dire wolf. It has no natural predators, but wolves and saber-cats often compete (directly or indirectly) for deer, wooly mammoths, wooly rhinos, bison, elk, moose, and other large herbavores. You actually saw the aftermath of such a battle about seven days ago in a mountain valley south of here.

This particular wolf is evidently the leader of a pack of dire wolves, much as his female counterpart was. Whether he is her father or not is a matter of speculation, but you do get the sense the two were linked. The particular call the wolf made is known locally as Vergardis, the challenge of the wounded wolf. Some barbarian clans in the region use an approximation of this call as their battle-yell. It's incredibly effective as a method of demoralization, especially in certain circumstances--such as these.

The giant bear is also a formidable foe for a lone wolf or even a handful of wolves, but bears are not known to travel in large numbers.

The Storm Roc is bird which lives in God's Teeth. They are few in number, but they can grow to incredible size. The Storm Roc has been known to swoop down and grab wolves, bears, bison, and even young mammoths during winter, especially Blotmonađ.

These wolves have no fear of water or storm.

The final possibility that springs to mind is the legendary Dragon--a creature you have never seen. You have, however, heard what you thought was its call from a great distance while exploring South of here, in Sardica.

A thunderous roar eminating from the woods immediately to your west causes your heart to jump in its ribcage. Such a sound cannot be ignored, and has an immediate, visceral effect on all involved in the battle. The wolves of the She-Wolf's pack, who have evidently either faced a Dragon or some other similar creature, lower their stances and, as a unit, run to the east--their tails between their legs.

The wolves in the western forest retreat several feet, but it is caution (not fear) that seems to cause their hesitation.

The caravanners--to a man--fall prone on the ground or hide behind trees, while the brutish humanoid falls back into the shadows on the far side of the fire.

END ROUND FOUR. BEGIN ROUND FIVE.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-16 at 12:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Steam wreaths Kraalkar's powerful form as the furnace heat of his rage meets the cold night air. His body is spattered with blood, and the thick dark liquid drips steadily from the tip of his blade into the churned slush as he looks for another threat. "Is this the best you can do, dark one?" he bellows in scorn. "Your dogs have failed to..."

Kraalkar's boastful words are silenced by a long howl of anguish and vengeance, a mournful keening cry from the West. The barbarian whips his head around, dread pooling in his stomach. That sound... The silhouette of a giant wolfen form stands on a small hill, overlooking the battlefield with large, burning eyes. "Aaiiieeee!" Kraalkar gasps in sudden shock. Then his voice rings out. "It is a Son of Wulocha!"

Kraalkar's form sags and seems about to drop to its knees. Aiiee, we are doomed...

Spoiler
    Show
    Doh, too slow! This post was intended as an RP response to the giant wolf's appearance. However, I'll edit it in the morning to serve as the beginning of Round Five's action, depending on what the corrected map Zed posts looks like.

This post is PART ONE of my round (the non-action part). Part Two incoming.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-17 at 12:48 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Arlen

Melting snow mixes with the sweat on Arlen's face, but he barely notices as the weather becomes harsher. His eyes flick to follow the fleeing wolves, then return to those still motionless on the western flank. Hardly daring to breathe, Arlen moves on the the next step in his hastily-concocted plan. Moving so swiftly he almost fumbles on the first try, he opens another of the pouches connected to one of the many straps that cross his torso. Turning his head back over his shoulder without turning his gaze, he shouts at Kraalkar "Don't mind the sound, it's not dangerous! Just make sure the others know that, and rally them by the fire!" Then, resolute, he strides toward the forest. If this doesn't work...best not to think about it. As he moves forward, so does the sound: The roar comes again, this time accompanied by a few thumps and rustles, as if something very large is moving through the underbrush.

After a dozen paces, Arlen halts, holding in front of him a small, clear marble in each hand. As the thundering echoes of the roar begin to die away, he chants again, though this time the words are lost in the sleet. He suddenly crushes the marbles between thumb and forefinger, and the same moment, two fist-sized globes of light wink into existence at the same spot where the roar has just ended, as if whatever was crouching in the darkness had just turned two large and baleful eyes on the wolves ahead of it on the hillock.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Arlen is just to the north of Kraalkar at the beginning of this round. He'll move forward toward the west, though only 10 or 15 feet, not his full move - i.e., if it really goes down the wrong way, he's not completely alone out front. He then releases the Ghost Sound and casts Dancing Lights in the same space. He's trying to keep the noise and sound close enough to scare the wolves, but not so close that they'll be able to see that there's actually nothing there.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-17 at 10:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar watches the dark-skinned elf stride toward the Son of Wulocha, whispering words of power. His confidence is impressive, as is the shattering roar which splits the air. You shame yourself with this unmanly weakness! Kraalkar snarls to himself. If this nak'ali can face the demon, YOU can do so as well! Exhaustion is spreading through his limbs, dulling the edge of his reactions, but Kraalkar stiffens his knees and thrusts his chest out, using his anger and shame to fan the flame of his rage.

"Take everyone to the fire," he growls at Imbris, "and set a perimeter of flamable items: brush, wood, anything you can find. We will follow. Go, now!" Kraalkar notices the two wolves struggling in the sticky webbing, and his rage flares anew. A short step brings them within reach, and Kraalkar attacks. "Come, demon spawn," he roars into the night, "and face your doom!"

Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot step into K/L 13/14, free action.
    (1d20+7)[14] Attack 1 vs. I-12
    (3d6+6)[12] Damage 1
    (1d20+7)[8] Attack 2 vs. I-12 (or I-13 if I-12 is dead)
    (3d6+6)[15] Damage 2

(1d20+7)[20] Cleave attack vs. I-13 if needed
    (3d6+6)[13] Cleave damage
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-17 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Formatting

30. - Top - End - #60

Daar

After the momentary feeling of triumph as they cut through the wolves, Daar comes far too close to dropping her blade as she hears the dreadful howl from the west. She feels her legs tremble and she resorts to biting her lower lip in order to keep from diving for cover like the caravanners. Tasting the tang of her blood tells her that all this is far too real. What could this creature be? All the rumors of monsters she had ever heard flipped through her head as she tried to make sense of it all.

Her stagnation is broken by Arlen and she marvels at his sense of composure in the midst of all the chaos. She takes in his words and turns to the caravanners near her, opening her arms and trying to shepherd them together in order to get them moving. Somewhere in her brain she notices that these people are looking at her with a mix of horror and awe and she is suddenly reminded that not every human is brought up to be a fighter, whereas in her tribe even those with the most domestic of tasks are more than capable of defending themselves and the tribe. When she speaks she tries to make it a comforting tone although their expressions tell her that she didn’t quite succeed. “Come now, we are far from dead! Keep moving together – we will protect you!” After she speaks she focuses her attention inward, thanking the spirits for getting them this far and asking for their help as they face this new unknown menace.

Spoiler
    Show

CLW (self): (1d8+3)[7]

-Walt Disney