New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Darkworld IC

1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Darkworld IC

Attempting to avoid the snapping jaws of the wolves around her as well as the whipping vines and tree branches of the forest, Elva swings her weapon and just misses the quick-footed wolf. Gray, too, has taken action, and is attempting to herd the survivors like sheep toward the apparent safety of the cave.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arlen

Tying the last bandage, Arlen stood up. The boy wouldn't die immediately, but he needed better care, and soon. "Grab this boy and get in the cave while you still can", he said to the nearest villager before turning to scan the field. Just a matter of who was faster now. Arlen longed to stand between the villagers and the wolves, but in his current state, a bite could finish him as easily as it could one of them. He saw Kraalkar clearly staggering from exhaustion and blood loss, and attempted to pick off the wolf that was savaging him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack1 - (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage1 - (1d8)[1]
    Attack2 - (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage2 - (1d8)[5]

Hoping that might be enough, he called to Kraalkar "Finish him, and get yourself inside that hole before you lose any more blood!" Then he stood alert, ready to pick off another wolf, with Sul circling a few feet above his head. With any luck, a few of them would still make it.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-25 at 08:32 PM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The wolf nearest Kraalkar seems not to feel the first arrow, which strikes a glancing blow and flies off into the forest beyond. The second, though, buries itself in its shoulder and seems to limit the wolf's movement a bit as it moves warily from side to side.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva pants as her staff misses the wolf in front of her and lands in the snow. Trying to regain her balance, her eyes dart wildly across the battlefield, and she sees the two uruks, who must have slain more wolves than the rest of the caravanners together, bleeding almost uncontrollably.

"Finish him, and get yourself inside that hole before you lose any more blood!"
    Oh but he'll never make it, thinks Elva as the wolves close in, and yells in response:
    "Never mind the wolf, just get in!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Free action. We're still in round 9.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

The wolf's teeth sink into Kraalkar's meaty thigh, and the barbarian staggers.

"...get yourself inside that hole before you lose any more blood!"
    The elf's words penetrate through the fog of his exhaustion and register in Kraalkar's mind. Almost by reflex, he swings his sword around perpendicular to his body--so heavy...too slow--trying to catch the wolf in its side. Then, grunting in pain, he shuffles deeper into the cave, barely able to support his weight on his wounded leg.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[25] Attack 1 vs. the wolf
    (3d6+1)[12] Damage

Standard action: Attack (missed the cleave).
    Move action: Move into the cave, up to 20' (exhausted = half speed) depending on what's (waiting) inside (no need for torches with darkvision).
    Let me know if I need to make a Spot check.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-26 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarified actions

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6] Cleave attack vs wolf in Q-0
    (3d6+1)[18] Damage

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

It must be muscle memory. The gory blade slices the wolf's head clean from its shoulders. The body stands for a moment and then falls to the ice.

Kraalkar's follow-through fails to even nick another wolf, who avoids the clumsy blow easily. The remaining wolves are closing. They can smell blood.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

As Kraalkar enters the cave, he leaves a blood trail on the snowy rocks. Daar's blade hovers high above her head, ready to deliver a killing blow to the injured wolf before her, but she decides instead to follow her grievously wounded companion.

As soon as they enter the relative safety of the cave, Daar puts her hand on Kraalkar's shoulder to stop him. His breathing is quick. Daar says a few words and places the tips of her fingers on his forehead, then closes her eyes.

Kraalkar and Daar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    damp, musty air greets your nostrils as you descend into the dark. Though all color is drained from your surroundings as you descend, you can see that the passage ahead is narrow enough that you will have to crawl on your hands and knees if you go fuch farther in your enlarged forms. The walls around you are composed of a rough stone, possibly granite, shot through occasionally with a lighter, sparkling crystaline material.

Make spot/listen checks.

Cure Light Wounds (1d8+3)[4]

9. - Top - End - #99

Daar

Panting with the effort, Daar sees some of Kraklar's wounds close and inwardly shakes her head. Her brow furrowed in concentration, she looks down into the cave. As long as there were no more surprises, they might be able to fend off the wolves, as long as they don't have to fight anything else in the cave at the same time.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+8)[10]
    Listen: (1d20+11)[13]
    Last edited by Zimmia; 2008-03-27 at 08:09 PM.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Lead Wolf yowlps twice, and the entire pack surges ahead as a unit. There is a perfect precision about the attack which suggests they hunt this way often. A pack of this size must hunt successfully every day in order to survive, and they are obviously good at killing.

It is a slaughter. Every visible target is attacked by at least one set of snapping jaws. Jeb falls under the sharp, slashing teeth of two wolves. Imbrus, lying helpless, has his throat torn out and his intestines unraveled by a pair of black wolves. Vululf is torn in half by two young wolf rivals like a wishbone under the dinner table. His spine snaps audibly over the growls of the wolves and the moans of the dying.

You hear other caravanners screaming and shouting useless pleas and prayers as they are ripped limb from limb by the wolves and then tossed aside to bleed to death on the snow.

Three wolves growl and rip at Elva.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elva takes 17 damage.

Uluia, Meg, Gray, Elva, and Arlen are the only surviving members of the party above ground.

Perhaps the most crushing fact is that four wolves have completely blocked the cave entrance.

Uluia skewers one wolf who is closing on Meg--not killing, but maiming the savage beast. Her eyes are bright with desperation.

They've cut us off! There is no escape! Daar! Kraalkar! Close the entrance to the cave!

Meg takes a steps over Imbrus' corpse and chants something in a language none of you has ever heard before. She brings the tips of her firebrands together in front of her face and begins to blow with all her might. After two breaths, the firebrands glow orange. One more breath brings their fire to life. Then, a jet of flame, seemingly eminating from her mouth, crackles through the cold night air. Almost instantly, all of the wolves in front of the cave entrance, as well as two in the woods 50 feet away, burst into flame. The immolation is quick and complete. In moments, there are only smoking, blackened carcasses where five wolves once stood.

Burn! Burn! Die in the flames of Hel!

The Lead Wolf Yowls in surprise.

End Round Nine. Begin Round Ten.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-28 at 12:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101

Arlen

One chance left. Just one. Arlen reached into the top of his pack instead of his quiver, and pulled an arrow from the second quiver there, whose tip glistened strangely in the cold moonlight. Try to give Elva a chance to get past those snapping jaws...he fired at a clump of wolves poised to strike Elva the moment she moved. Can't get any closer without hitting her as well...here goes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll against wolf in 5N(1d20+7)[21]
    Damage - (1d8)[5]
    I'll wait to see the effect of that before posting the rest

Edit: Ok, I'm pretty sure that hits. If it does, there is a *bright* flash as the tip touches blood, and the wolves at 5N and any adjacent squares make a Fort save (DC 14) vs one round of blindness from the glare. The wolf that was hit gets a -2 penalty on this save, as it was closest to the flare.

*crosses fingers and hopes that allows Elva to make it to the cave.*

After firing the shot (so much for retrieving that arrow), Arlen shouted "You can make it, Elva!" Then he darts inside the cave, telling Daar "Get ready to push that stone back the second everyone's inside, and we might just hold them off." He crouches behind her then, ready to sell his life dearly if the wolves make it into the cave.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-28 at 01:48 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva cried in pain as the wolves ripped at her, and for a fleeting moment felt grateful that the sound of her own screams covered the roar of the fight and the wails of the dying. Surprised to be still on her feet, she realized their only way out was blocked by the wolves, and all but abandoned hope.

Distressed to see her wounded, Gray let out a high-pitched bark, which soon turned into a ferocious growl. Looking past what seemed like a million snarling teeth around her, Elva saw her dog crouching, ready to come to her rescue, and stopped her with a gesture before she could step into the fray. No Gray. I'll come to you.

Doing her best to fend off the blood frenzied animals, Elva began to retreat towards her dog, wishing at least to die by her side. But Meg's impressive and decisive display of power suddenly cleared the way again, and Arlen's arrow and heartening words promised a glimpse of hope after all. Now or never.

Gray, follow me! she says with renewed confidence, and runs to the cave's entrance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elva Withdraws initially to O-3 where Gray is, and from there straight north and into the hole. If she passes intact from Gray's square, the dog simply follows her, also Withdrawing. But if she does provoke an AoO while leaving O-3 and falls unconscious/dying, Gray will try to carry her to safety, if at all possible. (Read: DM's discretion.)
    Spot check: (1d20+8)[25]
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-03-28 at 06:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar feels Daar's hand rest lightly on his forehead, and the sharp pain from his wounds fades to a dull throb. "I thank you, shinja," he mutters quietly, hand reaching automatically to grasp the amulet around his neck. The damp tunnel narrows ahead, and Kraalkar considers it carefully. I'll have to squeeze through in this form...not a good thing if there are enemies ahead. But where are those who entered ahead of us? And what of our companions behind?

Shouts and screams from outside the entrance mix with snarls and the chilling crunch of bone. Kraalkar hears the crone's shrill cackle and the elf enters the cave.
    Get ready to push that stone back the second everyone's inside, and we might just hold them off.
    Nodding grimly, Kraalkar grips the stone tightly to hide the trembling in his hands and waits for the right moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[6] Spot check
    (1d20)[20] Listen check

I don't know how much room we have in here, but I'll ready my action to roll the stone back across the entrance as soon as someone gives me the word to do so.

Also, is my Spot check good enough to locate the spear dropped by the ugly man from before? It might be better for holding off wolves than my sword would be, given our environment.

Edit: Ouch, guess not. My ears work, though.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-01 at 12:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Arlen
    Spoiler
    Show
    The arrow finds its mark in the wolf's side, and a flash like a small sun pops in the dark and just as quickly fades. Two wolves actually recoil from the flash.

Elva
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see a stone sticking out of the snow and use it to launch yourself into a wirling, spinning lunge toward Gray, who snarls fiercely at the wolves while making her retreat. Teeth snap at your legs. One wolf reaches out his paw to trip you, and at the same moment, another bites the air just inches from your nose. His breath smells of carrion. You stumble, but you somehow manage to keep your feet and make it just inside the cave entrance.

Kralkaar
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a shuffling and scraping sound in the darkness of the cave behind you, but when you glance around you see nothing. You remember that the brute's spear is lying in the snow just outside the cave entrance. You saw it in action, and you noted how effective it was to hit targets at reach.

15. - Top - End - #105

Daar

Wiping the combined sweat and snow out of her face, Daar carefully moves so that she is standing over Krallaar, and puts her hand on their best chance for safety, the rock that covered the entrance. She felt its cool, rough texture and closed her eyes momentarily, offering a silent prayer for those who had already fallen and for the safety of those still left alive. "I can help," she says to the weary Kralkaar and places a hand on his shoulder. "We have come this far together, and we're still here."

Spoiler
    Show

Readied action to move this rock just as soon as Arlen gives the word. Since I'm standing quite near him, I want to try and get a better look at just how injured Kralkaar is:
    spot: (1d20+8)[9]
    heal: (1d20+9)[20]

-Walt Disney

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva slides into the hole, hardly believing her luck, thanking the gods for allowing her to survive. She pets Gray abstractedly, while her mind races. Will the others make it? More importantly, will the wolves follow? She knew that wolves have no fear entering big caves, but this was a small entrance. And if they managed to block it with that big rock, could they be certain that the giant wolf wouldn't just push it away?

Unable to speak yet, with her heart still beating like a drum from the strain and the close escape, and her pupils dilating to adjust to the darkness, Elva looks around and wonders what other animals could find shelter in that hole.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (nature): (1d20+10)[18]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[18]

OK, that was fluff basically, and the checks for the next round. I hope this doesn't mess things up (ignore it if it does), I just wanted to have as much data as possible before deciding what to do next. :)
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-03-28 at 11:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Arlen and Elva can see and hear this descriptions. Kraalkar and Daar may be able to hear some of the following:

[spoiler] The two of you can see the battle raging outside. Uluia fights like a woman possessed. She whirls and stabs with her spear, staying just out of the wolves' reach as she attempts to find the relative safety of the cave. She has almost made it when a wolf throws out a forepaw and sends her sprawling into the deep snow. He is on her in an instant. Uluia somehow turns and gets the shaft of her spear between her jugular and her attacker's jaws. Two other wolves run over to her, ripping and tearing at her arms and legs.

Meg closes her eyes, whips her firebrands about her head in an eerie, graceful dance which belies her years, and as one of her staves reaches its apex, she lets it arc through the air. The flight of the fiery, glowing stick is beautiful and precise. The stick lands on the back of the wolf who crouches over Uluia. The wolf explodes into flame. The snow where Uluia lies melts almost instantly, but strangely, she is not even singed. Embers fly in all directions from the burning wolf and grow into small fireballs, igniting whatever they touch. In all, seven wolves are burning. The scatter, blind from fear and pain, running headlong into any object in their path. Any object they touch is also scorched.

Edit: Uluia is trying to get up on her ruined arms and legs.

Ha! I knew there'd be a burnin' tonight! I could feel the fire warm my bon--

Meg's victorious cry is cut short as several wolves leap out of the night and lay her low. You hear the sizzle of her remaining firebrand as she drops it in the snow. A now familiar long, low growl rumbles through the trees. The lead wolf stands over Meg. He is close enough so you can clearly see his coal-like eys and the saliva dripping from his razor teeth.

Elva:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know this is an incredibly large and fierce wolf pack, unlike any you've ever encountered or tracked. You have heard tales as you traveled through this region about a giant wolf pack leader thought to be the offspring of the legendary Fenris Wolf. Until now, you thought they were just stories, but now that you can see the wolf up close, you are beginning to see why this tale filled the listeners with true fear.

Daar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that Kraalkar is grievously wounded, not far from collapsing, though he took some comfort from your healing touch.

End Round 10. Begin Round Eleven.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-29 at 11:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Arlen

NO! The tragic sight almost physically nearly drags Arlen out of the cave. Frantically, with the crackling speed of heat lightning, he inventories any possible option that might save one or both of their brave comrades. Poisons, magic, arrows, rope, knives... But nothing that would give more than a faint hope of rescuing even one of them, while exposing themselves to nearly certain death. Even as his heart cries out at the injustice and he begins mentally running through his possessions a third time, a strong pressure seems to make everything recede under a cool blanket. Emotion became distant, an indulgence for later. The chances of rescuing anybody was minuscule, the chance that they would join their comrades in death if they did not move the stone immediately nearly certain. At the realization, every fiber of his being seemed to sag, though his appearance does not for the moment change.

Sul swoops through the entrance of the cave and, comfortable in the dark, perches on a small shelf. Woodenly, Arlen reaches out and clasps Kraalkar's shoulder, leaning forward so that Kraalkar and Daar can hear him. In a flat, crushed voice, he says "We can't save anybody else. Push the stone back."
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only actual round 11 action he's made so far is the RP and speech, both free actions.
    Edit: Aid Another adds a standard action to that, I believe. Remaining move action will be Spot/Listen checks, which I'll go roll in the OOC now.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-29 at 08:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Screams, silenced with sudden brutality, punctuate the crunch of bone and the wet rip of slashing fangs from outside the cave. They're dying, and there's nothing I can do! Kraalkar agonizes silently. The barbarian presses his sweaty cheek against the rough, cold surface of the boulder, gathering his strength, steeling himself for the effort that will seal the fate of those outside the cave.

"We can't save anybody else. Push the stone back."
    Kraalkar closes his eyes. May they return to the Mother's embrace. The prayer is cold comfort, but the barbarian has no energy to spare lamenting his fallen comrades. Reaching down to the core of his being, Kraalkar tries to wrestle the stone across the cave's entrance. "Wulochaaaa!"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[4] Strength check to move the stone.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-29 at 01:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Daar

In a split second, multiple images flew through Daar's head. One warrior trying to distract a giant boar so it would not impale his partner - time slowed and she could see the great tusks slide easily into the uruk. She again saw the ambush on their tribe as the traitor betrayed them all, watch as silently a spear slid into the sister of one of Daar's playmates - time slowed and she could see the life force ebb out of that little face. Suddenly she could see Old Jurik, sitting by his stream as the sun dawned; his favorite time to teach her. "Sometimes sacrifices have to be made Daar'kin. There may come a time when your very life will depend on who you choose to save." Those words hit home with a dreadful reality and she bit her lower lip to keep the tears at bay. "Forgive me, and may the spirits of your ancestors welcome you," she mumbles as she reaches with Kralkaar and rolls the stone back into place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check for the rock (1d20+3)[20]

-Walt Disney

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The three of you strain against the rock. It rolls into place. There is a small gap in the upper right corner of the now blocked entrance.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

"Guard" is the first thing that Elva says as soon as she catches her breath. Gray immediately roots her feet to the ground, facing the dark tunnel, sniffing the air and pricking her ears. Elva knows that if something approaches them through the dark, Gray will let them know. She then turns around to face the entrance, and winces.

The old woman that the giant wolf is currently looming above is the sole reason she made it to the cave, and the sight of a crippled Uluia trying to get up is nothing short of heartbreaking. Elva stands dumbstruck for a moment, everything seems a dead end. She can't imagine any way to help them. She can't imagine robbing them of their last hope, no matter how futile that would be. And she can't imagine dooming the rest of the survivors for nothing. One clansman’s death may be the whole clan’s prosperity, and the Earth knows that, this is how she feeds her children, this is the only way. The words of Alsaz ring in her ear, the very reason she has found herself so far from home in the first place.

"Godspeed." she wishes them solemnly. "And thank you." The two uruks and the black elf struggle to move the rock back to the entrance, and she can't help them in that tight, narrow space, but she notices their stricken and crushed expressions as they strive, and finds the fact oddly comforting. Alsaz would do it without even blinking (As should you, she hears his voice in her mind), but it's still consoling. As the rock falls into place, she takes a torch from her backpack, and lights it with a tindertwig she strikes against the tunnel's rough surface.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gray has low-light vision and scent (30 ft). If she scents something she can't see, she'll take a move action (I mean move-equivalent, without actually moving) to pinpoint the direction of the scent. And bark, of course.
    I have already rolled spot and listen for that round, see above.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The grating of stone on stone becomes a sharp rasp just before the stone wedges into place. The cave becomes utterly dark. The moon must have been swallowed by storm clouds. Elva lights a torch.

A scream you can only assume is Uluia cuts through the night air. You can't quite make it out, but it sounds like a curse.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you make a DC 25 Listen check, you actually can make it out. Damn you! Damn you all to the pits!

The scream is cut short by savage snarls and barks.

All is silent. You become aware of your own breathing.

A bright white light penetrates the gloom through the open crack above the rock, and a deafening concussion literally rocks the cave. Dust and pebbles fall from the ceiling. The walls seem to shift momentarily before settling. Gray and Sul are as startled as you are. Gray looks at Elva and whines, involuntarily.

DC 25 Listen checks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you made the check, you heard Meg's voice just before the explosion--I'll burn, and burn and burn until your grandsire won't recognize...!

Outside, as the explosion dies down, you can hear the faint cries of wolves. But these cries have a different timbre than you have heard thusfar--perhaps it is the sound of fear. The wolves seem to be moving away.

The long, low howl of the Lead Wolf echoes through the forest.

End round 11. End of Initiative Order
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-30 at 02:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar slumps to his knees as the stone rolls into place with a ponderous crunch. Aynia forgive me, it had to be done. He stays on his knees, trying to gather his energy. And now we are facing...what? There was a noise down the tunnel...

The weary barbarian pushes himself to his feet and takes stock of the group and his new surroundings. "Where are the others who entered this cave?" His voice, leeched of emotion, drops tiredly into the silence.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[6] Spot
    (1d20)[7] Listen
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-31 at 10:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Arlen

"Rest a moment, Kraalkar", the dark-skinned ranger said quietly, his voice nearly as dead as the Uruk's. With time now to catch breath after the battle, he moved stiffly as he hoisted himself up briefly to catch a glance out of the gap in the rock. Forcing his expectations as low as possible, he could not repress a glimmer of hope, remembering how Meg's fire had not scorched Uluia in her penultimate strike.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+16)[35]
    Listen - (1d20+13)[25]
    Knowledge (nature) to interpret whatever behavior of the wolves he sees and guess what they might do next: (1d20+13)[14]

26. - Top - End - #116

Daar

Daar takes one quick look out of the cave, trying to catch a glimpse of Meg since she had heard that the woman was still alive. It was too much to ask, really, that she would be able to take on the wolves, but she respected the woman for her determined-ness. She then turns her attention to Kraalkar and bends over him, speaking in what for her is a comforting tone. "Take a moment to regain your strength, huruz-mau. At least for now we are not in immediate danger." She places her hands on his shoulder and upper back and offers a petition to the ancestor spirits, feeling their love and life force surging in her and out through her hands.

Spoiler
    Show

spot: (1d20+8)[24]
    listen: (1d20+11)[23]

huruz-mau translates to 'brave warrior'

CLW for Kralkaar: (1d8+3)[8]

-Walt Disney

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The smell of burning wolf hair fills the air.

If you look to the right (west) you see burning trees and a smoldering pile of ash where Meg once stood. The snow has been melted down to the earth for 30 feet around, and a few wisps of grass are still alight. If you take time to look closely, you may see as many as twelve wolf bodies piled in the area around Meg's immolated form.

To the South, you see several wolves ripping out and gulping down pieces of the caravanner's corpses. They are survivors, and their complete attention seems to be for their meal.

Uluia's corpse dangles upside-down from the Lead Wolf's mouth, her hair brushing the snow. For a moment, it seems her still-open eyes look directly into yours, but it might be a trick of the light. The hair on his muzzle, face, neck, and forelegs has been burned completely away. His skin is charred in several places. His mouth and nose drip blood, but you are unsure whether it is his or Uluia's. He must be in excrutiating pain, but he is grinning horribly with his prize dangling from his mouth.

To the East, the firelight provides only the barest hint of illumination. You can see the flashing eyes of the wolves who are still trapped by the trees. At the rate the pack is eating, it seems that the wolves' meal may be gone before they are able to free themselves.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-31 at 08:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva walks, a bit unsteadily, towards the elkhound, kneels and checks Gray's wounds. "You're such a brave dog" she whispers, and holds her tight, muttering a prayer. Gray licks her hand in gratitude and she looks towards the tunnel, trying to discern any telling noise. She then turns to the others:
    "You all fought... incredibly valiantly. You must be the pride and joy of your clans. Before anything, how badly is everyone hurt?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Light Wounds to Elva and Gray: (1d8+3)[11]
    listen:(1d20+8)[27]
    Gray remains on guard until further notice.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

DC 25 listen checks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (the ones you made count) From deep in the cave, you hear the sound of echoing voices. One is deep and calm. The other is higher, and sounds anxious.

30. - Top - End - #120

Arlen

Nothing, then. The gore of a hundred deaths flickered before him briefly, and this pain was added to it, as a body laid on a pyre. Not the first, not the last, and not the most painful, but it, too, deserves its due. He bows his head briefly in honor of the fallen, then turns, practicality once again taking the forefront of his mind.

"No survivors outside. We'd best keep here and lick our wounds for the time being."
    "You all fought... incredibly valiantly. You must be the pride and joy of your clans. Before anything, how badly is everyone hurt?"
    Inclining his head in gratitude, Arlen replies "I've the same wounds as this morning, but no more. I can wait."
    Hearing voices down the tunnel, he remarks "We shouldn't wander too far - we're in no shape for another fight at the moment."

If no one moves to stop him, he walks a few feet past Gray, calling quietly to the villagers to return, as the door is blocked for now. "Horeld! Come back this way, and bring your companions! We've blocked the door - it'll be safer here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft check on the spells Meg cast in battle: (1d20+11)[29]
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-04-01 at 11:39 PM.