New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 99 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 89

Quote Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
    If Stanley abandons Gobwin Knob to form another FAQtion, does this mean Parson becomes Leader of the GK faction? Perhaps that's what (special) means next to his unit type on the Stupid Meals Fun Facts.
    If that were the case, he probably would have been labeled 'heir'.

I'm looking forward to Parson's first 'stat change'. I wonder if his 'leadership' bonus will grow, and what the conditions for stat improval are. Does Parson level up like a normal unit?
    well, erfworld uses levels1, so stats are probably in some way based on levels. There are also points2,3, which could be like D&D XP, or they might be derived from levels, then assigned to stats.

If he's promoted to Warlord, does he get added intrinsic bonuses?
    Um, he's already a warlord... otherwise he wouldn't have a leadership bonus4.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

Parson may not need to "succeed" in making a sale.

He may be contacting several factions and saying, "make an offer" and then expecting it to slip to the Coalition leadership that there's a new unknown factor in GK.

He may set an insane price on his gauntlet (500 million Schmuckers, not 500 thousand) and then do things over the next couple of turns that make it look like his gauntlet gives him an equally insane advantage. Think annihilation of several scout units, possibly even a high value unit, like an Archon. They may attribute it to only the gauntlet, and not factor in Parson's analytical capability and gaming experience, and panic.

He may set up an actual sale, but arrange for the "drop" to occur at a location where he's already channeled Ansom's forces. He deliberately uses low value units ordered to panic needlessly and withdraw, leaving Ansom to think Charlie was cutting a major deal, not just a sale. Parson sows mistrust, Charlie gets bupkiss.

As an aside, this will almost certainly mean that the Coalition will know of Parson's existence as a Chief Warlord, unless Charlie decides the information is too valuable to share. AND, they may believe that something rare and special has occurred: a Warlord who is also a Castor. With unknown stats.
    Last edited by El_Chupacabra; 2008-03-12 at 07:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I haven't read through the whole thread (and I'm not likely to) but I am curious about the images used in this comic. Obvious likeness' of Ronald McDonald, Clifford, Pikachu & Kermit. Aren't these likeness' copyright protected by their owners?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Obvious likeness' of Ronald McDonald, Clifford, Pikachu & Kermit. Aren't these likeness' copyright protected by their owners?
    The "Ronald" balloon has gray hair and the logo on his jumpsuit isn't *quite* the Golden Arches. The other balloons *look like* the characters you've named, but aren't visible in their entirety. And even so, there's no crime in including a *description* or a neutral or background *image* of a copyrighted character in another work of art if you're not including the *character itself*; the detective in your novel can grouse about Shaggy and Scooby's implicit drug use all he wants, but that won't get you in trouble unless he actually interacts with Shaggy and Scooby while they're stoned out of their minds in the back of the Mystery Machine.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

tongue Re: 99 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 89

By the way, I note that this new Archon has red hair. Is she supposed to be the equivalent of "Julie Rogers" (Tanya Roberts' character in "Charlie's Angels")? If she's the "Tanya Archon," Rob better not have her say "Oh, James!" -- any recollection of the Bond movie "View to a Kill" makes me throw up.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Some of you are forgetting that Parson has duty. He above all others in GK cannot conspire against Stanley or withhold information...except of course that Stanley has ordered him to to exactly that---withhold information. It is very difficult for a chief warlord to betray the overlord. If Stanley truly betrayed Saline then aside from setting up a Macbeth parallel he has demonstrated just how devious you have to be to get around the compulsions.

Parson has to be very careful here. Unless he can guarantee capture by a friendly party then he will "disband"---whatever that means for him---if Stanley is croaked. Parson is not the heir; there is no heir, and whatever Parson's special is it doesn't mean he's the heir (as someone suggested). Special means special. It refers to a property that is too complicated to explain in a couple of words and too unique to already have a short, catchy nickname.

Parson is probably being very sly with Charlie. Not by hiding things from him, which might not be possible (he has to assume that Charlie can at least detect lies), but Parson is currently dealing with the enemy and must do everything he can to misrepresent his own true strength while doing everything he can to accurately measure Charlie's. In this light Sizemore's massive attack in the tunnels could be seen as a way of showing that GK was definitely still in the game. If GK looked too weak right now then Charlie might not consider them worth treating with.

What can Charlie do? One thing he cannot do is simply assassinate Ansom. Who would ever hire him again? However, since Ansom did not set out to attack GK with Charlie from the outset---in fact, Charlie's mission has been completed---then Charlie is in a good position to end his contract with Ansom. In the worst of cases, he might be obligated to return the fee if he was expected to stay around until the end of the war, but then again he is probably receiving payment on a turn-by-turn basis. If so, then breaking with Ansom would be painless, except of course for the loss of a few more turns of fees until Stanley is croaked. I strongly suspect that Parson is offering something far more valuable than a couple of turns worth of fees.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2008-03-12 at 09:28 PM.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

One thing I have to say - ArkenDish Network would certainly make me drop Cable in a heartbeat.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

I read the whole thread.

This speculation is fun, but I think you're reading too much into it.

Charlie couldn't care less who wins or loses, he is renting his archons for an unspecified period of time. During this time, Charlie is 'allied' with Jetstone and (as far as we know) cannot ally with the enemy side. The contract would almost certainly include all the expected stipulations, but those don't even matter.

A mercenary nation could easily become a rogue element that must be squashed by an alliance. Charlie's professional operation implies that he is either unassailable, or is currently not seen as a threat by others. Both are probably true, given his unparalleled access to Thinkamancy, and the geographical distance between himself and those in the 'great western conflict.'

Charlie's position is tenuous. There is no way such a powerful mercenary could be seen in a positive light by any kingdoms, near or far. Willing to work for the good and the bad guys, and without a normal kingdom, he is the perfect example of a xenophobic outcast, either by design or accident. He is no doubt completely insane even by our own standards, in addition to the erfworlders.

Parson is not offering the Mathamancy watch or his "services" to Charlie, he just said "how are you doing for Mathamancers." Nothing could convince Charlie to withdraw the Archons, except an immediate and significant benefit to him at that exact turn, and Hamster can't be disloyal to GK or Stanley. I think Parson is about to bluff Charlie into believing that he's going to win the overall conflict using Mathamancy, and that if Charlie withholds the Archons from the main battles, ("so GK can have a larger army after the battle") he won't pursue them. It's a hard sell though, because Wanda screwed up the Dwagon trap, and Charlie knows about that. He'd have to be very honest about what went wrong, and what he's doing now.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    However, yes, it could be a ruse. I can't help but think of a story I heard once where a general removed the most effective adviser of an enemy leader by engaging in an elaborate facade to make it look like they were having secret back-door negotations.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Red_Cliffs

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it possible that "Charlie" isn't even in Erfworld, and he's "playing" remotely or something?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTurnipKing View Post
    Is it possible that "Charlie" isn't even in Erfworld, and he's "playing" remotely or something?
    The idea has come up. It's actually a very 'Ender's Game' idea.

Charlie's at an ansible! Uhm, unlikely. EDIT: The Arkendish is an ansible! Erm, even less likely...

I just had another thought. Charlie was one of the slang names for North Vietnamese guerrillas during the Vietnam war.

Perhaps Charlescomm will become the next major enemy?
    The archons would be excellent at hit-and-run tactics.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-03-13 at 12:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    If that were the case, he probably would have been labeled 'heir'.
    Usually a 'heir' is the child of the reigning monarch. I think Stanley would specifically have to title Parson the heir-designate (much the way King Saline IV designated Stanley). "Special" may indicate (if the guess is correct) that Parson will assume command of the GK faction if Stanley is cwoaked or abandons GK. However, what it would not mean is that Parson is a 'royal' in the strict sense of the word - much in the way that Stanley is an Overlord, but not a King, Parson is the Warlord, not a Prince. By contrast, Ansom is a Prince, and Jillian is a royal (princess). The difference has been mentioned in the storyline as being important to the motivations of both factions, so I don't think it's just a throwaway title.

This is all speculation, and I'm not really worried about it... I'm sure everything will turn out awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Um, he's already a warlord... otherwise he wouldn't have a leadership bonus4.
    My bad, warlords on the brain, meant 'overlord'!
    Code:
    ┌─╖ ╓─┐
    │ /┬\ │ ♪ ♪ ♫ 
    ╘' ┴ '╛
     ├(♥)┤  Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do...
    ╒. ┬ .╕
    │ \┴/ │  ♫ ♪ ♪
    └─╜ ╙─┘

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Step 1. Initiate under-the-table dealings with merc leaders for Ansom's side.

Step 2. Leak or otherwise allow those dealings to affect the function of those mercenary units.

Step 3. Continue similar dealings until Ansom gets fed up and fires mercenaries.

Step 4. As funding permits, hire now-disgruntled mercenaries and field them against Ansom.

This is very similar in nature to (but more Schmucker-intensive than) uncroaking Ansom's units and fielding them against him.

Parson is playing to even the odds. Actually, knowing Parson, he's playing to utterly swing the odds in his favor.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Parson, by the way, is playing a very similar game with the marbits. "No way are we going in there again against THAT!"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTurnipKing View Post
    Is it possible that Charlie is actually the arkendish? Note that Charlie's dialog is always bordered oddly, except when we have a clear shot of the arkendish. It's as if Charlie actually were the dish, wish I rather doubt, but it would seem to indicate something.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2008-03-13 at 07:07 PM.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Parson, by the way, is playing a very similar game with the marbits. "No way are we going in there again against THAT!"
    It's a good point that could use some restating. Since no one (except maybe Jillian...maybe) seems to know about Parson, then the alliance is probably still assuming that Stanley is incapable of guile, otherwise they might at least consider subterfuge here. Parson has not only made his underground army look bigger than it is but has unnerved the marbits, who will probably have a little less initiative to do some proper scouting.

How has he made it look bigger? Parson effectively massed all his forces in one spot to smash the marbit scouts. In a defensive situation the large number of attackers (alliance) could simply flank a concentrated group of defenders and take the capitol, a point which is probably even obvious to Stanley, so the alliance will likely assume that there are a lot more like that scattered about underground.

Of course none of this would work if Ansom had accurate intelligence on Stanley's forces, which me wonder. Ansom knew that Stanley had run out of warlords, so he isn't entirely clueless about the forces arrayed at GK. The golem/marbit encounter will likely make him doubt anything he did know.

Isn't it curious that Parson's breakfast told him the composition of Ansom's alliance but Ansom has no idea what troops Parson has? When Parson was told his own composition earlier it was probably something he could have found out by asking the accountants, but finding out Ansom's is the sort of intelligence you don't usually get for free.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

confused Re: 99 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 89

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    It's a good point that could use some restating. Since no one (except maybe Jillian...maybe) seems to know about Parson, then the alliance is probably still assuming that Stanley is incapable of guile, otherwise they might at least consider subterfuge here. Parson has not only made his underground army look bigger than it is but has unnerved the marbits, who will probably have a little less initiative to do some proper scouting.

How has he made it look bigger? Parson effectively massed all his forces in one spot to smash the marbit scouts. In a defensive situation the large number of attackers (alliance) could simply flank a concentrated group of defenders and take the capitol, a point which is probably even obvious to Stanley, so the alliance will likely assume that there are a lot more like that scattered about underground.
    They only hit the scouts that were nearest to the city. So, they completely destroyed the scouts that had managed to travel all the way through the maze of tunnels and they let the other scouts explore freely and report their easy progress?

Ansom should think that the defenders didn't fall for the feint... that the tunnels are empty and that the defenders are putting everything into protecting the walls and city itself.

I suspect that Parson is trying to lure Ansom into sending the ground forces into the tunnels to attack Gobwin Knob. With Sizemore's help he can control that battlefield; Sizemore can remake the tunnel maze to separate the columns; Parson's gauntlet helps him choose which encounters to allow; they may even be able to surround and entomb some units within the maze.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draender View Post
    They only hit the scouts that were nearest to the city. So, they completely destroyed the scouts that had managed to travel all the way through the maze of tunnels and they let the other scouts explore freely and report their easy progress?

They've already gotten reports of encountering no resistance last turn.
    Ansom and Vinny didn't seem sure what to make of it. What they'll make of a report that the most advanced scouting stack got squashed (and what Parson expects them to make of it) remains to be seen, but it definitely sounds like an attempt at some sort of misdirection.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-13 at 08:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luvlein View Post
    You didn't read the text you quoted, did you?
    Wow, people are still talking about the TFHA Theory-of-the-Day? That's a good one! Remember: the sign of a TFHA Spoiler Theory is that it is so outlandish to almost certainly not be true, yet sounds just plausible enough to not be dismissed out of hand

A list of "Who is Charlie?" Theories - let me know if I missed one!
    Spoiler
    Show

1. "Charlie" is a woman, destined to be Parson's nemesis and source of UST
    2. "Charlie" is the awakened Arkendish, and will reveal the (terrible) secrets of the Arkentools to Parson
    3. "Charlie" is a former comrade of Stanley's who found the Arkendish when Stanley found the Arkenhammer. Stanley hates Charlie because, rather than conspire to follow their destinies, Charlie went off and formed his own side, devoted to his personal fortune instead
    4. "Charlie" is a Human from Parson's world - either present in Erfworld, or "playing" the game from a computer
    5. "Charlie" is a Titan, communicating via the Arkendish for an unknown purpose (tip of the hat to Leewei!)
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-03-14 at 12:51 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draender View Post
    I suspect that Parson is trying to lure Ansom into sending the ground forces into the tunnels to attack Gobwin Knob. With Sizemore's help he can control that battlefield; Sizemore can remake the tunnel maze to separate the columns; Parson's gauntlet helps him choose which encounters to allow; they may even be able to surround and entomb some units within the maze.
    This would be very beneficial to Parson assuming that Wanda recovers next turn. If that's the case then he will have a large amount of freshly Croaked units to Uncroak and add to his own forces. The bigger the size of the force sent into the tunnels, the bigger the force that he can raise... or waise as the case may be.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Of course none of this would work if Ansom had accurate intelligence on Stanley's forces, which me wonder. Ansom knew that Stanley had run out of warlords, so he isn't entirely clueless about the forces arrayed at GK. The golem/marbit encounter will likely make him doubt anything he did know.
    Ansom has his own ace: I give Vinnie two turns, max, to figure out what Parson is doing. Vinnie has demonstrated an ability to think outside of convention, and he's guessed right twice already. If a) there are no credible warlords remaining, and b) there is activity that suggests the presence of a real warlord, then I don't think it'll be too long before it dawns on Vinnie that under the right circumstances casters function as excellent warlords, and if they're not usually used that way, well, GK is guaranteed to lose if it deploys conventional tactics, and it's already deployed unconventional tactics to great effect.

The question then becomes, how do you counter caster warlords? Ansom's pool of casters is pathetic, except for the Archons, who are not accompanying Jillian. And Parson's talking to Charlie...

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wender View Post
    Ansom has his own ace: I give Vinnie two turns, max, to figure out what Parson is doing. Vinnie has demonstrated an ability to think outside of convention, and he's guessed right twice already. If a) there are no credible warlords remaining, and b) there is activity that suggests the presence of a real warlord, then I don't think it'll be too long before it dawns on Vinnie that under the right circumstances casters function as excellent warlords, and if they're not usually used that way, well, GK is guaranteed to lose if it deploys conventional tactics, and it's already deployed unconventional tactics to great effect.

The question then becomes, how do you counter caster warlords? Ansom's pool of casters is pathetic, except for the Archons, who are not accompanying Jillian. And Parson's talking to Charlie...
    Castors (is it right to refer to them as the little wheels on furniture?) might offer major bonuses in certain situations but they probably lack the knowledge necessary to act tactically, unless that is magically beamed into their heads as they gain rank. I don't think it is, or else Stanley would be a better warlord and Ansom at rank one would not know what he was doing. Tactical knowledge seems to be real in Erf, meaning that you actually have to learn it, independent of rank. We know that not all knowledge pops in Erf, for example, Ansom still does not know about Parson and will certainly have to learn about him the hard way: through experience. Tactical and strategic knowledge seem to work the same way, as they would for players.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Castors (is it right to refer to them as the little wheels on furniture?)
    It's better than calling them beavers.

(OED and Cambridge Dictionaries both claim that "caster" and "castor" are equivalent, while Merriam-Webster claims "caster" is for wizards and little wheels on furniture, with "castor" reserved for beavers and hats made from them. English — don'tcha just love it?)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmerridew View Post
    Yes, there were "double agents" in that battle. actually, it happened all over that three kingdoms era. There were two main ruses in the battle of Chi Bi, Han Dang's (of Wu) fake defection (to Wei) and Pang Tong's (unaffiliated!) individual scheme to have Cao Cao chain his ships together so the fire-attack cooked up by Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu would work. The battle I think of in the "'cause the enemy's trusted advisor to defect" stratagem is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tong_Pass , far more like the ruse described.

Jiang Wei's forced defection from Wei to Shu in that same era is also a nice example, him being the main culprit in spoiling a few of Zhuge Liang's strategies in his first Northern Expedition. Zhuge had a soldier impersonate Jiang Wei in a night battle against jiang wei's city from which Jiang was absent executing some strategy. When Jiang returned to his city, he was met with arrows and death threats and had but two options: live as a fugitive or join Shu.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Where the greater malady is fix'd, the lesser is scarce felt.

When the Foolamancer said this my first thought was get rid of Stanley and he won't be using such crappy veils anymore.

Think about it, if you're compelled to obey orders from the guy that turned you into a gibbering idiot, itd make perfect sense to screw up his plans by using such ridiculous veils.

I'm still not convinced hes heading to FAQ...atm hes just running away... are we even certain Cities can be formed on set places only? i reckon he'll get some message to the effect of 'the coalition is destroyed/disbanded' and come back too GK. Or he'll learn Parson's winning nad show up at the last second to claim all the glory.