Barbarian in the Playground

Default DitV - Kettle Creek - Player Origins

God's Watchdogs
    Spoiler
    Show

Brother Winston played by KUMA DA
    Spoiler
    Show

Strong History. Winston Prior is a young man at the age of 21. He is of medium build, with a leanness to him that suggests a lot of time spent on the road. He has black hair that hangs down in a fringe to his eyes, and a face that's been paved roughly with worry. He generally wears dark trousers and a tunic, in addition to his coat. At the young age of 16 Winston was sent to study in the East, and was deeply transformed by his experiences there. He believes in the core of the Faith, in keeping people safe and happy, and in caring for communities, yet some of their other practices feel hopelessly dogmatic to him.
    Stats
    • ACUITY - 4d6
    • BODY - 2d6
    • HEART - 5d6
    • WILL - 2d6

Traits
    • Storyteller - 3d6
    • Empathetic - 3d10
    • Slow-fuse Temper - 1d8
    • Raised by my sisters. - 1d8
    • My Father was a doctor. - 1d8
    • Educated in the East. - 1d8

Relationships (1d4 Available)

Belongings
    • Ghost - 2d8
    • The Duchess - 1d4
      (An old nag of a mare. She isn't bad-tempered so much as imperious. She sees humans in much the same way a cat does.)
    • Missy - 1d8+1d4
      (A massive shotgun and a family heirloom. It was given to him by his mother and sisters on the day he left for the East. He was totally taken by surprise and did his best to refuse it, but was unable to prevail upon their fierce protectiveness.)
    • Tin of Licorice Drops - 1d8
      (Exceptionally tasty candy, a habit he picked up in the East.)
    • Sewing Kit - 1d6
    • Jar of Consecrated Earth - 1d6
    • Book of Life - 1d4
      (An old worn Book, with it's spine broken and pages roughed up.)
    • Coat - 1d8
      (Done in earth-tones, with five little coloured stitches hidden in the right sleeve, one from each sister. No design anywhere else on the coat.)

ACCOMPLISHMENT: I hope he made friends with one of the less-liked kids during initiation.
    Brother Coy played by INNIS CABAL
    Spoiler
    Show

Complicated History. Born of the Eastern People, Coy and his family were migrants fleeing the harsh rule of a powerful and despotic ruler who used his own people in the building of vast and lavish palaces. Coy grew to hate such decadence, and blamed the debauchery for the deaths of his parents. In his lone travels as a young man, a Dog found him starving and near death, clutching onto a well-forged blade in the open streets of a small town.

It was this event that changed Coy’s life forever. The Faith opened his eyes, and drawing on his already bitter disgust for the decadent.
    Stats
    • ACUITY - 4d6
    • BODY - 4d6
    • HEART - 4d6
    • WILL - 3d6

Traits
    • Cooking - 1d6
    • Tracking - 3d8
    • Preaching - 3d10
    • Swordsmanship - 2d6
    • Outdoorsmanship - 1d8

Relationships (2d6 Available)
    • Brother Abraham - 2d8
      (The Dog who saved my life.)

Belongings
    • Khanda - 2d6
      (A family heirloom and the only remnant of his past life.)
    • Flintlock Revolver - 1d6+1d4
    • Coat - 2d6
      (A long knee-length affair with a high collar and over long broad sleeves. A single hand-print the colour of the setting sun is placed on his back between the shoulder blades, and around the collar is a single long coiling cloud.)

ACCOMPLISHMENT: I hope he has learned the language of the West.
    Brother Daniel played by BLOCKHEAD
    Spoiler
    Show

Strong History. Daniel was the first child of Mary and Johnathon Creeksworth. Johnathon was a Steward of great importance and renown, and as such, had access to vast sums of money and resources. This allowed Daniel a wealth of information from books and private tutors as well as the time to learn how to shoot and study astronomy. What struck his parents as odd was the fact that Daniel usually stargazed without the use of a telescope, using just his naked eye to observe the stars. For his tenth birthday, his father brought him a beautiful rifle and taught him how to shoot. After much practicing, Daniel used his amazing perception to hit targets from several hundred metres away and he nicknamed his rifle Fate. Daniel's observational nature did not stop at spotting things far away, but also the hidden things of the world, be they physical or personal things. It was not surprising then, that he was chosen to train with the Dogs and to learn of the Faith and uphold it's laws and teachings. Believing his eyes had been a blessing directly from the King of Life, he sought to use his eyes in the King's name and administer his word and justice throughout the land. He is currently the young age of 19.
    Stats
    • ACUITY - 7d6
    • BODY - 2d6
    • HEART - 2d6
    • WILL - 2d6

Traits
    • Crackshot - 3d10
    • Eagle Eye - 2d6
    • Spot Hidden - 1d8
    • Eyes of the King - 1d6
    • Reading & Writing - 2d8
    • Knowledge of History & the World - 1d8

Relationships (1d4, 3d6, 2d8 Available)
    • Blood - 1d6
      (Mary & Johnathon Creeksworth, mother and father.)

Belongings
    • Fate - 2d8+1d4
      (A large, beautiful rifle with a custom-made scope, this is Daniel's defining piece, as he prefers to Judge people from long range, using his traits as a crackshot, his eagle eyes, and his amazing rifle to administer Justice.)
    • Horse - 1d6
    • Leather Hat - 2d6
      (A very high-quality leather hat.)
    • Telescope - 1d6
    • Assorted Books - 1d6
    • Jar of Consecrated Earth - 1d6
    • Book of Life - 2d6
      (In excellent condition. Daniel takes care of it.)
    • Coat - 2d6
      (A leather coat that reaches the knees of Daniel, it is dark brown and plain except for the back, which has a big colourful pattern of the Tree of Life, above that is a pair of human eyes.)

ACCOMPLISHMENT: I hope that he was able to solve a mysterious murder during his initiation.
    Brother Malden played by GORGONDANTESS
    Spoiler
    Show

Complicated History. Malden is average height, but extremely slim and frail, not very physically adept. He has dark, smooth skin and jet black hair, long and uneven, having a kind of exotic beauty but nonetheless exuding an unsettling air. He was born to the mountain people, and when he was six his parents converted to the Faith. They lived in one of the more prejudiced towns, and there was some bad blood between them; nonetheless, the worst that happened was some suspicion and glares. His mother died two years later of the flux, and his father had to work all day, so had little time for Malden; the only social activity he ever got was in the one-room schoolhouse, and even there not much, being naturally aloof and somewhat estranged for his lineage. As such, when he was not working, he usually read, at first going through the schoolhouse's meager few texts, then buying and stealing everything else. As he grew up, he became small, dark and even more aloof, to the point where he would rarely say a word throughout the course of a day. His father died when he was sixteen, and he sold all the family's property and went off to the east to study at a college, where he dropped out after a year and a half for lack of finance; after this, he returned to the West, and was approached to become a Dog; his intelligence, knowledge and devotion had reached the attention of the Steward, and he was considered to be a possibility, and when he returned, it seemed that he truly had faith. However, he really didn't believe in the Faith, and was more spiritually inclined, as he followed it with his heart, but really had no faith, and though he wanted to he was wracked with doubts. It could be said he joined out of a desire for power, or to find somewhere he will belong, or simply caprice; probably all three and more. He isn’t even aware as to his true intentions.
    Stats
    • ACUITY - 6d6
    • BODY - 2d6
    • HEART - 3d6
    • WILL - 4d6

Traits
    • Linguist - 1d4
    • Book Learned - 2d6
    • I'm a Dog. - 3d4
    • Every word I speak carries intense weight. - 1d10
    • My unwavering dedication is frighteningly uncanny & powerful. - 1d10

Relationships (4d6, 2d8 Available)[*] Winston - 1d6
    (Malden likes the fellow, in an endearing sort of way.)

Belongings
    • Flintlock Rifle - 2d8+1d4
      (Though weathered and beaten, the superior crafting of this rifle is still obvious.)
    • Assorted Texts - 2d6
      (Texts of all kinds, in several languages, ranging in subjects from history to the occult to philosophy, including of course a copy of the Book of Life.)
    • Heavy Boots - 1d8
      (Massive, clunky heavy boots.)
    • Coat - 2d6
      (A worn, baggy coat of thick brown cloth, with a hood. When he left to go to the Temple, no one came to put a stitch in the coat; he wasn't well liked, barely anyone knew him, and all is family was dead. Not to be put out, Malden used what bare knowledge he had of sewing to stitch on some ornamentation. It's cuffs have a smooth, dark red cloth sewn into them, and straps of different colored fabrics, yellows, oranges, blacks and reds are loosely sewn on the back.)

ACCOMPLISHMENT: I hope he dealt with a demon some time during his initiation.
    Brother Jeremiah played by RUBAKHIN
    Spoiler
    Show

Complicated Community. Jeremiah Foley was born in a city back East into a family that consisted largely of abusive alcoholics, which, of course, messed him up accordingly. They weren't awful people, they were practical, intelligent salt-of-the-earth types. They just had problems. And tempers.

In his late adolescence, the emotionally damaged Jeremiah found himself falling prey to the same two vices - alcohol and anger. He managed to come to terms with it by trying to understand them and their behavior. They hadn't really learned otherwise, Jeremiah decided. It was in the blood. Da's father beat him too. Where do I expect him to have learned how to treat his own son? Can't fault him it. He was a good man, but in pain, and he passed that pain on to me.

And Jeremiah believed that it was simply his duty to take it, and overcome it, and make sure he broke the cycle of abuse. He didn't see himself as a victim any longer - now he just thought of himself as a man who had been given a responsibility. That way of thinking gave him back control, and allowed him to help himself. And for a while he was comfortable thinking that way, thinking that all sins were committed out of ignorance and pain, and that every sinner is an essentially good person with his own personal tragedy to overcome. Like Jeremiah had once been.

Then his sister Sinead was raped. Violently, at that.

There was nothing Jeremiah could do to rationalize that, the idea of even trying to empathize with his sister's rapist sickened him, and instead of coming to terms with the fact that some few people are simply heartless and twisted, he chose to believe that they all are. He rejected his previous form of thinking as a crutch that had helped him through a difficult time in his life but which was essentially wrong. He decided to start believing that you're either good or you're a sinner. No grey area. No compassion. No mercy. Not ever again. He converted to the Faith and left his home city to become a Dog, taking comfort in the hardline, black-and-white morality. He's currently trying to present himself as a tough, strong, stupid, hard-headed mick from back East who would sooner beat you in the face with a shillelagh than look at you.

Of course, this isn't really who he is or how he thinks. Jeremiah is, at heart, a deeply compassionate and forgiving person, and there's not much he can do to escape that. Despite what he preaches, and the person who he's trying his hardest to become, his first instinct is always to talk with the sinners and try to understand them, and he can't muster up a lot of genuine hatred or revulsion towards the thieves and the cheaters and the whores. Right now he serves the Faith mechanically, doing what the Good Book tells him to do and trying really, really hard not to think too much about any of it. Currently Jeremiah is the age of 21.
    Stats
    • ACUITY - 3d6
    • BODY - 4d6
    • HEART - 5d6
    • WILL - 3d6

Traits
    • Animals take to me. - 2d6
    • People take to me. - 3d6
    • I play a mean fiddle. - 1d6
    • They may be folk remedies, but I've forgotten more about healing than the doctors back East will ever know. - 2d8

Relationships (4d4, 2d6, 2d10 Available)
    • The Dogs - 2d8

Belongings
    • Gráinne Mhaol - 2d8
      (A beautiful and strong, but ornery, dunn mare. Jeremiah attributes the fact that he's the only one who can control her to the fact that he's the only one who can pronounce her name.)
    • Flintlock Rifle - 1d6+1d4
      (A pretty standard rifle. It makes holes in whatever Jeremiah points it at, and outside of that he's not too interested in it.)
    • Fiddle - 1d6
      (Not a Stradivarius, but it does the trick.)
    • Jar of Consecrated Earth - 1d4
      (It's a jar of dirt.)
    • Book of Life - 1d4
      (It's ... well-loved, shall we put it. Some of the pages are torn, and it's kind of withered now from that time Jeremiah dropped it while reading in the bath. (Way to go, hero.))
    • Coat - 2d6
      (His sister Sinead was largely responsible for it. It's a long greatcoat, dyed dark green, with shiny brass buttons of different sizes and designs, each donated by a family member or a friend. On the back, embroidered in gold thread, are two Gaelic harps, one tilted towards the left and one tilted towards the right - they look something like angel's wings.)

ACCOMPLISHMENT: I hope Jeremiah was able to avert a malevolent disaster by using his compassion to talk the would-be perpetrator out of it.

So here we are, about to embark on the first game of Dogs in the Vineyard ever played on these forums. Hopefully, the game will be legendary. First of all though, we have to play through your characters' accomplishments. This will not only serve as an introduction to the game's awesome poker-like mechanics (make sure you read the rulebook first though), but it will end up giving your character a new trait and flesh out some of their history.

Do you guys want to do this one by one, or all try at the same time? The latter will probably be better, seeing as it's faster. So post when you're ready, and we'll get right on it!

GORGONDANTESS - Before you continue, make sure that you redistribute your stat dice properly (the minimum dice you can put into a stat is 2, and you only have 1 in Body). Also, you need an Accomplishment.

RUBAKHIN - In the second paragraph of your character's background, you said "Da's father beat him too.". Who is Da? Also, one of your Traits said "They may be folk remedies, but I've forgotten more about healing than the doctors back East will ever know.". I assume you meant 'learned' instead of 'forgotten', right?
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-21 at 07:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DitV - Kettle Creek - Player Origins

Ok, I've updated Malden, editing a few things beside his accomplishment, though I finished that as well.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

3. - Top - End - #3

Gorgondantess, your stats are fine now, though your Accomplishment is unfortunately not valid. An Accomplishment is something you want your character to have already accomplished during his initiation, but it should be something that won't make or break your character, since it may or may not have happened. You should start with "I hope my character...". Remember, past tense, this is something that already happened during the initiation. Examples are...

"I hope that my character won distinction in the eyes of the teacher of scripture."

"I hope my character won a gun fight during training."

"I hope my character became an accomplished horse rider."

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateCaptain

((Play through at the same time, I doubt we'll actually come across each other, even if he happen to be training at the same 'school' at the same time))
    I drew this line myself

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

((I'm with Blockhead, might as well all do it here.))
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Same time. It would be kinda interesting to have one of us bumble into another during training.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-11-21 at 01:15 AM.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gardenphilosoph View Post
    Gorgondantess, your stats are fine now, though your Accomplishment is unfortunately not valid. An Accomplishment is something you want your character to have already accomplished during his initiation, but it should be something that won't make or break your character, since it may or may not have happened. You should start with "I hope my character...". Remember, past tense, this is something that already happened during the initiation. Examples are...

"I hope that my character won distinction in the eyes of the teacher of scripture."

"I hope my character won a gun fight during training."

"I hope my character became an accomplished horse rider."
    Ugh... I'm having severe problems with the accomplishment (as you can probably tell). I also have some edits I need to do for Malden... but sleep now. I'll figure it out in the morning.

8. - Top - End - #8

Alright, I'll do this all simultaneously. I'm going to put the actual game play in spoilers as to not clog up the post, but feel free to read how the other players' accomplishments are going. You should know how the rules of the game, now's the time to put them into action.

BLOCKHEAD
    Spoiler
    Show

So your accomplishment was "I hope that he was able to solve a mysterious murder during his initiation.".

First we have to set the scene. This is an effort on both of our parts, but I'll start it off - feel free to modify or change or outright veto what I say. I'm basically drawing this out of nothing. Alright, so Daniel has, against the advice to stay out of it by the elder Dogs, decided to try to investigate the mysterious murder that happened in a small town near Bridal Falls. A house was found ablaze, which wasn't too strange, but inside they found a woman, Laura Dunn, tied to a chair. What was left of her charred carcass, anyways. It was brutal - a murder of that like was almost unheard of, even in the lawless towns far West, beyond the borders of the Faithful. Daniel traveled to the town, spending weeks in its inn and watching the town's citizens, all during his initiation. After two months, through a mixture of perception and innate wisedom, Daniel found the murderer. The scene takes place in the murderer's wooden bedroom, the on the second floor of his house. There is nothing unusual about it, he lives like every other civilian that can afford his own housing. He can't afford to call out for help - no one will doubt the fact that he is the murderer, even though Daniel is not yet a Dog.

What's at Stake? DOES DANIEL APPREHEND THE MURDERER?

Lastly, who's in this conflict? Just you, Daniel, and me, the murderer (Artemis Jones).

What do you think? You can roll with it, edit it, or just make your own.

INNIS CABAL
    Spoiler
    Show

So your accomplishment was "I hope he has learned the language of the West.".

First we have to set the scene. This is an effort on both of our parts, but I'll start it off - feel free to modify or change or outright veto what I say. I'm basically drawing this out of nothing. Right, so though Coy can speak English, his accent is awkward and he hasn't picked up the colloquialisms and slang of the West yet, so sometimes it's hard for him to understand a situation or sometimes people are prejudiced toward him. Let's pick a pivotal moment somewhere that will represent this accomplishment. Hmm...Coy is in town at night when a drunken man stumbles up to him. The man is a racist and a well-known violent drunk. He hates you for the way you speak, not to mention the way you look. You're in the dirt alleyway behind a saloon. It's late night a small town near Bridal Falls, and not many people are around.

What's at Stake? DOES COY OVERCOME THE RACIST DRUNK?

Lastly, who's in this conflict? Just you, Coy, and me, the racist drunk (Jacob Finley).

What do you think? You can roll with it, edit it, or just make your own.

KUMA DA
    Spoiler
    Show

So your accomplishment was "I hope he made friends with one of the less-liked kids during initiation.".

Now did you agree that this was one of the players? It will be slightly more difficult if it is, unless the player lets me play his character during initiation.

9. - Top - End - #9

PirateCaptain

So I would be rolling to A) Get him to confess/give himself up B) Bring him in for justice the hard way C) If all else fails, kill him and let the woman rest in piece with the case closed. That sounds great! I will reread the rules to make sure I know how to roll and then we can be a rollin'. You can start the conflict if you wish.
    I drew this line myself

10. - Top - End - #10

Brother Coy

Coy sighs, another one…not that it was unexpected of course. He placed a hand on his blade, more out of instinct then out of intent and pointed to the man, trying his best to smile though the man’s breath was foul enough to curdle milk. He didn’t need to get into a fight after all.

“Sira…Lets break paths, none can sway each other. Take rest, your mind is swampy.”

(Roll Heart+Acuity)
    (2d6)[5]
    My Current Works

11. - Top - End - #11

Garden, I was hoping it would be one of the players, but I'll let them volunteer for that if they want to. Otherwise, it'll be Brother Winston trying to make friends with an NPC.

Everyone else, are you interested in trying to contest Brother Winston's accomplishment? I.e. the stakes are "do I make friends with you" and you make all the opposed checks instead of the DM?

I realize that's unconventional, so Garden's more than welcome to veto it, but it'd make for an interesting bit of team building right off the bat.

Edit: Innis and Garden, that's both a great achievement and a good scene to work it out in. And if I keep giggling over the sheer drama of "What's at Stake? DOES COY OVERCOME THE RACIST DRUNK?", that's entirely my own fault.

Innis, your rolling is a little bit weird. It should be one dice per point of both relevant stats, and there should be a minimum of two points in both stats. So, you should have four separate 1d6 rolls, minimum. And then you take the highest two of those and combine them. I think. I'm still slightly shaky on parts of the system.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-11-21 at 05:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ya...alrighty then, i'll just reroll here then. Shaky a bit myself but an interesting way to do it.

(1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[6]
    My Current Works

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, here's an edited Malden; I certainly hope the accomplishment finally is ok.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Malden Iron
    Complicated History
    Acuity 6
    Body 2
    Heart 3
    Will 4
    I'm A Dog: 3d4
    Linguist: 1d4
    Book-Learned: 2d6
    Every word he speaks carries intense weight: 1d10
    When he decides to do something, his unwavering dedication is frighteningly uncanny and powerful: 1d10

Relationships: Winston: 1d6. Malden likes the fellow, in an endearing sort of way.

Equipment:
    A weathered, beaten but high quality, superb long rifle: 2d8+1d4
    Texts of all kinds, in several languages, ranging in subjects from history to the occult to philosophy, including of course a copy of the book of life: 2d6
    Coat: A worn, baggy on him coat of thick brown cloth, with a hood and. When he left to go to the Temple, noone came to put a stitch in the coat; he wasn't well liked, barely anyone knew him, and all is family was dead. Not to be put out, Malden used what bare knowledge he had of sewing to stitch on some ornamentation. It's cuffs have a smooth, dark red cloth sewn into them, as well as the lapels, collar and hem, and straps of different colored drab fabrics are loosely sewn on to create a striped pattern all over the coat,.
    Huge, clunky, heavy boots: 1d8

Accomplishment: To deal with a demon. (Note: "deal with" does not mean exorcise; it's intentionally vague.)

Malden is average height, but extremely slim and frail, not very physically adept. He has dark, smooth skin and jet black hair, long and uneven, having a kind of exotic beauty but nonetheless exuding an unsettling air. He was born to the mountain people, and when he was 6 his parents converted to the Faith. They lived in one of the more prejudiced towns, and there was some bad blood between them; nonetheless, the worst that happened was some suspicion and glares. His mother died two years later of the flux, and his father had to work all day, so had little time for Malden; the only social activity he ever got was in the one room schoolhouse, and even there not much, being naturally aloof and somewhat estranged for his lineage. As such, when he was not working, he usually read, at first going through the schoolhouse's meagre few texts, then buying and stealing everything else. As he grew up, he became small, dark and even more aloof, to the point where he would rarely say a word throughout the course of a day. His father died when he was 16, and he sold all the family's property and went off to the east to study at a college, where he dropped out after a year and a half for lack of finance; after this, he returned to the west, and was approached to become a dog; his intelligence, knowledge, sagacity and devotion had reached the attention of the Steward, and he was considered to be a possibility, and when he returned, it seemed that he truly had faith. However, he really didn't beleive in the Faith, and was more spiritually inclined, as he followed it with his heart, but really had no faith, and though he wanted to he was wracked with doubts. It could be said he joined out of a desire for power, or to find somewhere he will belong, or simply caprice; probably all three and more. He isn’t even aware as to his true intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Da View Post
    Garden, I was hoping it would be one of the players, but I'll let them volunteer for that if they want to. Otherwise, it'll be Brother Winston trying to make friends with an NPC.

Everyone else, are you interested in trying to contest Brother Winston's accomplishment? I.e. the stakes are "do I make friends with you" and you make all the opposed checks instead of the DM?

I realize that's unconventional, so Garden's more than welcome to veto it, but it'd make for an interesting bit of team building right off the bat.
    Well, I'd be up for it if Garden's ok, as our backstories would fit the description.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2008-11-21 at 06:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Whoops. My mistake, again. You have 4 dice in heart, and 4 in acuity, so you're rolling 8 dice. Mind if I roll them to keep things moving?

Dice rolls, decide if you want to use them before clicking the spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6)[6],(1d6)[4],(1d6)[1],(1d6)[1],(1d6)[2],(1d6)[3],(1d6)[5],(1d6)[5],

You combine the 5 and 6 to get a score of 11.
    Last edited by Kuma Da; 2008-11-21 at 06:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Ya that works,

I thought we could decide how many to throw down, yay new system and all that. I like the rolling system though....now that I understand it fully
    My Current Works

16. - Top - End - #16

For Kuma Da, I'm totally fine with that. I'll still be there to set the scene and stuff, but I'll let you and Gorgondantess resolve it, helping you guys when you need to. Gorgondantess, sorry for the trouble with your accomplishment, it's just that it's a pretty integral part of character building. Your new one is fine though, it's actually pretty damn interesting because it's so vague. Kuma Da, Gorgondantess, I'll start your guyses accomplishments in the next next post.

EVERYONE, try this instead of the regular rolling.

(rollv) (/roll)

It's so much more convenient, especially in this case. Examples...

(4d6)[3][5][6][5](19)
    (8d6)[6][4][2][5][6][4][6][1](34)
    (3d6)[6][5][3](14)
    Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-21 at 06:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Awesome, Gorgondantess.

Now I guess the question is: do we run my accomplishment and your accomplishment separately, or does Winston try to make friends with him while Malden's dealing with a demon?

Oh, wait. I just had an idea. Maybe Malden's insecurities/doubts/loneliness/whatever have opened him up to demonic attack. So Malden's trying to resist a demonic influence that's attempting to isolate him from the rest of the Dogs, and Winston is trying to make friends with him in spite of his distantness without knowing that the demon's there at all.

Totally up to you and Garden if you want to try that.

18. - Top - End - #18

Kuma Da, that's actually an awesome idea. It could make things a bit difficult...we'll have to narrow it down to a pivotal moment during all of that chaos, but that would be an awesome spectacle. It has my approval, now waiting on Gorgondantess'.

19. - Top - End - #19

I didn't know you could do that. Alrighty.

Was that scene ok though Garden?
    My Current Works

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gardenphilosoph View Post
    Kuma Da, that's actually an awesome idea. It could make things a bit difficult...we'll have to narrow it down to a pivotal moment during all of that chaos, but that would be an awesome spectacle. It has my approval, now waiting on Gorgondantess'.
    Works for me.

21. - Top - End - #21

BLOCKHEAD
    Spoiler
    Show

Alright, so I'm going to put out-of-character talk into spoilers starting after this post. This means spoilers within spoilers, so things will get a little confusing. Try and bear with me. So we know what's at stake, we know the scene, and we know who's involved. Let's get the dice rolling.

We are talking, so we both roll Acuity + Heart. That means that you roll 9d6, since your Acuity is 7 and your Heart is 2. Remember, do (rollv)9d6(/roll), instead of the regular (roll)9d6(/roll).

Normally I would roll the NPC's Heart + Acuity, but since this is an Accomplishment I roll 4d6 + 4d10.

So here's my roll.

(4d6)[2][2][2][2](8)
    (4d10)[7][10][4][3](24)

INNIS CABAL
    Spoiler
    Show

Alright, so I'm going to put out-of-character talk into spoilers starting after this post. This means spoilers within spoilers, so things will get a little confusing. Try and bear with me. So we know what's at stake, we know the scene, and we know who's involved. Let's get the dice rolling.

We are talking, so we both roll Acuity + Heart. That means that you roll 8d6, since your Acuity is 4 and your Heart is 4. In this case, Kuma Da already rolled for you and you accepted his rolls. It's a strange system to get used to, but once you do it's easy and fun.

Here are your rolls - 1 1 2 3 4 5 5 6

I roll 4d6 + 4d10, since this is an initiatory conflict. So I'm going to roll...

(4d6)[3][2][2][4](11)
    (4d10)[8][5][1][5](19)

Also, you generally don't start roleplaying until we start Raising and Seeing, but it's not a big deal. I really like how you articulated your character though, his language is awesome. So whoever has the best roll (your two highest dice) will start. Your best roll is 11.

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok so you got a 19, so what now? I roll again?
    My Current Works

23. - Top - End - #23

INNIS CABAL
    Spoiler
    Show

Brother Coy - 1 1 2 3 4 5 5 6
    Jacob Finley - 1 2 3 5 5 8
    Spoiler
    Show
    So your best roll was 11, while mine was 13. Since mine is higher, I'll Raise first. Our rolls are important, so I'm going to put them in a quote at the start of every post. Just find them there when you need to. So I'll start by Raising. You'll have to See that Raise, so you'll have to put two dice up that match or exceed it, which is Dodging/Blocking. If you only put one dice up then you'll Reverse the Blow, but if you put more than two up you'll Take the Blow.

"Hey! You, you ****in' brownskin. What the **** do you think yer doin' in the West...? I'll show you what we think of yer people!" Jacob is obviously drunk, mumbling his words and walking on a slant.

I Raise with my 2 and 4.

Spoiler
    Show
    So I'm bringing in two of his Traits along with this Raise. One of the Traits is the fact that he's consistently drunk, and the other is the fact that he's a racist. You can do this as well if you work them into your Raise.

(d6)[3]
    (d4)[3]

Last edited by gardenphilosoph; 2008-11-21 at 07:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Wait, Innis Cabal, did you read the rulebook? I can run you through the rules if you didn't, but it doesn't seem like you have a grasp on the rules.

25. - Top - End - #25

Coy raised a hand to the man, keeping the other on the blade
    “Brother, take light. Accept those who embrace like ideals, shun not them, least they turn like vipers. Take rest I urge, your mind is addled by wine. Can you see not light?”

Going to See, reversing the blow and adding two dice from preaching
    Using 1 from the above roles.

(1d6)[6](6)

[rollv]2d10[roll]
    My Current Works

26. - Top - End - #26

That's good. Alright, you don't have to roll anymore, so ignore that last roll you just made. Right now we've both rolled, see my post for our rolls. Now it plays like a game of poker.

These are your rolls. 1 1 2 3 4 5 5 6

You have to pick 2 of those numbers that together equal or exceed my Raise, which is 6.

If you can do that with 2 numbers, then you have Blocked or Dodge my 'Attack', so write something describing that.

If you manage to do that with 1 number, then you have Reversed the Blow, which is bad for me. Describe you taking what I did and turning it against me.

If you're forced to use 3 or more numbers, then you have Taken the Blow, which means that you, well, took the blow. Describe that.

Don't use all your best die yet though. Save for the future. And when things get bad, you can Escalate to physical, violence, or lastly gun fighting.\

Understand? I recommend re-reading the Conflict & Resolution part of the textbook, just to make sure that you fully understand things.

27. - Top - End - #27

Bah, stupid fingers

(2d10)[3][1](4)
    My Current Works

28. - Top - End - #28

Okay, you edited your post. That's a lot better, but you don't roll anymore. You just take those numbers as they are. Other than that, awesome.

29. - Top - End - #29

Alright, I have re-read it and I think I get it now, its a little different. Interesting none the less.

So with two of the numbers I rolled, I can get that with the 6, so I reveresed the blow ya?
    My Current Works

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll probably be editting this post a lot to reflect what I roll, so bear with me... (9d6)[1][1][1][5][6][2][6][5][2](29) Alright, so my sum is 12, that's quite useful, now, I guess I'll begin.

Brother Daniel walks into the room where the murderer, Artemis Jones, can be found. He opens the door and sees him lying on the bed. Awakened by the delibrate noise of the door squeaking open, he looks at Daniel with a scared expression. Daniel grabs a chair leaning by a nearby wall and sits down on it. "These eyes..." Said Daniel, pointing to his own eyes. "See all. They have seen the crimes you have committed, but they also see the chance to repent in your soul."

Spoiler
    Show
    I raise with a 2 and a 1, making 3. I'm done editting, you can post a reply....
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-21 at 07:57 PM.
    I drew this line myself