New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Knights IC

1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Grey Knights IC

Eyepatch stops rubbing himself for a moment and reaches below the counter pullung up a clinking box of potions he starts sorting through them laying them out in short rows on the counter. Healing potions and love oils, the oils have a red cap the healing have a green. We can usually make the first three grades in house. Set what you like on the other side of the counter so I know.

Ugly points at a bastket of small grey stones setting on a low shelf in one of the glass cases. Those have just come in from war front. Pick out the ones you want.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-08-22 at 11:52 PM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly

the little dromite searches through the box, inspecting each stone and finally chooses 5 ... no 6 of them. He checks if they still work (as in floating around his head) and then says

"I'dd give you 15 platinium, 3 gold, 5 silver for these."
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Mercy quietly sets two of the small green vials on the counter and begins setting out a few platinum bars to make up the difference.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #424

As Ugly conducts business Eyepatch's leering catches a moment on the armbards. He furrows his brow and scuttles back into the back room.

He reemerges a few moments later with a large metal bound book, which he sets down with a thump onto the counter. Flipping it open he begins flipping pages and glancing up at your armbands. Ugly raises and eyebrow at him for a moments before returning to the business side of things.

With an agreeable Hrmm.... Eyepatch sifts through the pages looking for something. After a few moments he says to himself Ah-ha! That's what I thought. He looks up at all of you and says snappishly Where'd you get them armbands?

[OOC-Just do the math for purchases and whatnot and note them in the OOC for me. I hate trying to RP a bargaining session. You will get 2/3 cash value or full value in credit for sales, and pay book price inc redit or cash for purchases.]
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-08-23 at 01:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Glancing at her companions, Mercy shifts to the counter and looks across the book at Eyepatch. Her eyes are cold.

You know the Grey Company? Then you know that they don't give things away lightly.

She glances down at the book, trying to read it upside down.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #426

Eyepatch looks at Mercy I know enough of my history to know that the Grey Knights are a mercenary company that originated with the original empire. But for hundreds of years they have used cloth armbands not leather ones. I assume you are a part of the illustrious Greys. I am a collector of stories and know a fair bit about the old Colour Guard.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Nodding, Mercy almost smiles.

It's reassuring that the past is not forgotten. We have recently come across a place belonging to the Red Company. Is that a history?

She gestures down at the tome between them on the counter?

8. - Top - End - #428

Eyepatch gives Mercy an evil look, more evil than his normally disagreeable look anyway, for looking at his book. THIS is a collection of stories! More of an index really. It is the reduced bits of knowledge and strained bits of truth from a great many stories, it has taken me a very long time to compile. He beems with pride before covering the words in the book coveteously. He looks up and scowls as he says The Red Company huh? Let me see. He starts flipping pages cross referencing this and that. Tell me more.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-08-25 at 10:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Mercy returns his evil glare with a sly grin of her own.

Make you a deal. I'll give you a humdinger of a story of the companies for your book, in exchange for giving us an hour to spend reading it - with your supervision, of course.

10. - Top - End - #430

Eyepatch looks at Mercy considering for a moment then says As long as it takes for the story is as long as you get with my book. And the books stays here.

So tell me about this story...

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

A small shudder runs through Mercy's back as she senses the eagerness in the man. Suddenly, telling him about the location of the new library doesn't seem at all advisable.

Getting comfortable at the counter, she turns the book to face her, and begins to speak. As she speaks, she tries to familiarize herself with the book's arrangement, getting an overview before diving into anything that might seem relevant about the reds, or the current state of companies other than the Grey.

Well, as you know doubt know, the Grey have become a mercenary company, and a pretty danm good one at that. Now, others may have better stories to tell, and perhaps they'll share as well...

She makes eye contact with her companions, practically begging the others to join in with their own stories so that she has more time to read the book.

But this will get us started.

I was not always the kind, even-tempered woman you see here. When I came to the Greys two years ago, I...well, I was a lot more interested in killing than I am now.

It is the tradition of the Greys, as you may know, that names are left behind when you enter the ranks. For some, I know, this is a difficult process. Names are sometimes old friends, badges of honour, marks of family ore reminders of past achievements. For others, though, it is a welcome opportunity to wipe the slate clean, and to focus on what is to come.

She glanced over at her companions - wondering, and not for the first time - what they had been in previous lives. What had brought a dromite crafter to throw himself into the midst of such chaos. What kept War Machine going at night, when he so reliably watched over all of them. What quirk of history or biology had given Miss Murder such a thirst for death.

Sometimes, the naming process is easy. As with a beautiful, gentle troll in our company, whose capacity for facial blemishes was only exceeded by his bravery. He'd been around forever, and the name Carbuncle seemed to fit around him like an old coat.

Me, it took a while to find a name. Seemed strange, wandering around for a week being called "hey, you." I'm ashamed to admit that the man who tried to label me "Sweet-Cheeks" has permanent scarring.

Then, one day, I was eating alone by a watch-fire. Carbuncle is...surprisingly quiet, for the proverbial eight hundred pound gorilla. He stepped up behind to offer to join me. When he touched my back, I, ah.

Well, I sort of climbed up his chest to look him in the eye. I don't remember saying this, but I was later assured that my exact words were "Hey, you greasy, pock-faced monstrosity. Touch me again and I'll burn that dot off your head once and for all."

She doesn't take her eyes from the book, does briefly cover her mouth as she remembers the moment.

To Carbuncle's tremendous credit, he did not in fact squash me like a bug right then and there. However, there was a lovely moment when all of the blood ran out of his face, except for that darn lump, so that it looked like a crabapple bobbing on top of a bowl of rancid oatmeal. One of the other Grey's piped up, telling Carbuncle he'd better sue for mercy right away. He spluttered a bit.

Here, she actually does glance up from the book, to grin at Eyepatch.

Which was almost enough to do me in all on its own. Some trolls have many beautiful features, once you get to know them. Dental hygiene seems not to be one of them.

Anyway, he sort of plucks me off his chain shirt, really gently, and bows as he sets me down. "Mercy, my lady?", he says, really sombrely, and then both of us start giggling our fool heads off. And the name kind of stuck.

From the little I know, the colour guard have all fallen from their original vision, in one way or another. But, even as we are, I can tell you that the greys are the best family I've ever had.

She turns back to the book to read more, hoping that others will pick up with other stories so that she may extend her study.

12. - Top - End - #432

Eyepatch and Ugly both make the appropriate interested listener noise as Mercy tells her story.

The book is largely cross referenced index of stories and pertinent points of those stories.There are a great variety of myths, bard's tales, and other stories that have been reduced to important phrases, ideas, characters, artifacts or otherwise. With some time a great deal of information could be gleaned from this book.

[OOC- What are you looking for? Make a Gather Info or Knowledge check for the appropriate subject at +5]

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking for anything that might cast new light on the current activity of the other colour guard, or any reference to the temple complex referred to in the Red library).

Gather information (1d20+5)[22]

14. - Top - End - #434

Spoiler
    Show
    IN the few moments that she has she learns that the temple is located to the SW of the town in the jungle area. I was once a lizardman temple that was cleared out by adventureres a long time ago. This temple has since been used as a focal point for a small demonic cult. The name of the demon is unknown. It is known that a few hundred years ago the Reds went to clear out the temple and were destroyed in the process. The damage done by the Reds weakened the cult tremendously though and little has been heard from them since.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-08-28 at 01:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435

Eyepatch slams the book shut and says, Well that's quite a story but, it has little of interest in it for me! He glances over at Ugly who nods back at him Time for you all to leave. It's luch time and I will not have my food waiting on ME!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly follows the party ...

ooc: going away on holiday ...

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

Miss Murder largely ignores the pair of them even while one is leering at her, either uncaring or not sure how to deal with a man she's not supposed to kill. Until Eyepatch gives his abrupt dismissal, anyway. "Just a minute," she says levelly, walking up to be next to Mercy. "We're not finished with story time yet. Go get your lunch, bring it here. She'll keep reading, and we'll see about compensating you when she's finished. Letting her read some doesn't cost you a thing, after all."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #438

Ugly's eyes get huge at the sight of Miss Murder stepping up to the counter to confront Eyepatch. He has a half smile as he looks over at Eyepatch waiting on the answer from his partner.

Eyepatch on the otherhand immediately gets flustered and attempts to shoo Miss Murder away Now you listen missy! You may be a pretty little elf in a tin can but you don't tell me what to do in my shop! Now be gone with you all before I get huffy!

You don't want to see him huffy. Ugly says with a chuckle and a wink at the ladies I mean this is only a little pissy at the moment, and huffy is coming fast, with b!tchy and fussy coming right up after wards. And I won't here the end of it if you do get him all the way to fussy anyways. You all just run along for now. We'll be here for later and tomorrow and for another hunnert years after that. Just like the past hunnert years.

Who are you calling PISSY! Eyepatch turns on his partner and begins a tirade about the injustices of youth and his partner's shortcomings. While this is going on the book lays open on the counter.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-09-01 at 06:10 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Glancing sidelong at LMM as the men continue their banter, Mercy nods in a tiny way, and continues her examination of the book.

20. - Top - End - #440

After a few more minutes of the two old wizards bickering like old maids, Eyepatch breaks it off and snaps the book closed. Out with you! Ugly looks at you all as you leave Pleasure doing business with you fiiine ladies though. Come back soon.

The town bustles around you, an island of martial law unto yourselves. You all find a decent inn and sleep in a nice warm bed after a well cooked meal. The morning beckons you all earlier than seems reasonable but the old habits of a warcamp are hard to break. The town is somewhat disturbing to you all, civilians and civilian life left so far behind that the normal niceties of their lives are outside of what you know anymore.

21. - Top - End - #441

The morning passses and you all conclude your business in town. Again your return to the keep is uneventful.

Upon returning Smokey is there waiting as is Rook. Rook waves to Warmachine, calling him over for a personal conference. He leads him off into the keep talking quietly.

The keep itself is showing definate signs of repair. The walls are almost whole again and there is an impromptu timber mill out side of the main gate. A pile of logs on one side and a pile of timbers and planks on the other. Inside the skeleton of a wooden smithy and corral are up. The stable is nearly finished as is the barracks. Several new faces wearing a gray armband are in sight working dilligently on assorted tasks. You see Cookie on one wall with a few of the survivors, pointing off into the forest and speaking about something. Bluefist, a human pikeman and carpenter, and Cranberry are off to the side working on what looks to be the first ballista.

The Librarian strides up and says Welcome back. your quarters are in the west wing. Why don't you get washed up and come find me in the library?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Thanks, Librarian!

Mercy trots off, happy to feel like the company is taking shape again. There's a sense of purpose, and a previously-absent feeling of hope about the place now.

She pauses to introduce herself to the new faces, not-so-subtly probing to see if any others have arcane skills that could be put to the service of a revitalized artillery team, before going to drop off her pack and wash up.

All in all, it's about half an hour before she makes her way back to the library.

It looks like you've been busy while we were out shopping.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly

firefly follows the librarian's instructions: he goes up to his quarters, washes himself, and then goes to the library, with one of his new gray ioun stones flying around his head ...

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

Miss Murder glances over the new recruits she passes, memorizing faces and first impressions, but she doesn't stop to speak to any. She washes with a speed born of years of campaigning in the field, when you might have a few minutes before you had to move out. If you were lucky. Removing and stowing her armor takes her a little longer, though. She makes a note to clean and inspect it later. Firefly was a genius at getting dents and stress out of the armor, if she needed that done.

That finished with, she arrives at the Library, nodding to Librarian and the others already there.

25. - Top - End - #445

The Librarian awaits you all in the Library he greets you all kindly Welcome back. Hopefully it was a pleasant journey for you. But there is enough chit chat for later when we have more time.

I'm afraid I may have to cut your leave time short but you are the best we have to deal with a problem that has come up. The well and water supply for the keep is going foul and dwindling. This is a new problem, as it just started only three days ago. I have used what little divination magics I have to determine that the cause of it is the previous owner of this keep. Beyond that I cannot determine much. Whoever it is has magical protection that I cannot pierce.

I need you five to go and deal with the situation. War Machine will stay here, Rook has another mission for him and some of the old sergeants. A 'recruiting drive' he calls it.

The old dwarf turns to one of the shelves on the wall and takes a large rolled up scroll off of a rack. He unrolls them and it is an old schematic. These are the original drawings for the keep. As you can see here it was well planned and it shows in the way this place has kept together without upkeep. The thought of an old fort going with out care sours the old engineer's face a little Here is the well, and the tunnels that connect it to the aquefir deep in the plateau we're standing on. He points a stubby stained finger at the charts flipping through some of the layers of parchment. The aquefir is fed from run-off deep in the mountains and from these two sink holes. He points out a couple more points in what looks like a map of the surrounding area. We don't know where or what is clogging and poisoning our well but its up to you all to fix it. Any questions? He spins the maps around for you all to look at.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-09-07 at 12:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal Doh! I mean Mercy, of course!

Water. Filthy water. Interesting. And, potentially disgusting.

Ismal nods. She points to the access tunnel.

Do you anticipate that the tunnel will be flooded with this foul water, or will it have air?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-09-07 at 11:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

"So the well planned well didn't turn out so well."
    The raptoran flutters his wings in distaste.
    "Does this tunnel have any outside access, or is it completly underground?"
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

28. - Top - End - #448

@Toli - which character?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly

firefly studies the map to see if there is anything strange on it

(knowledge(architecture and engenieering) take 10 for 19, and if I don't see anything out of the ordinairy, I'll try harder (1d20+9)[23])

"we should take samples at certain distances to check if the water already has been contamiated ... "
    (I'm supposing firefly (who has scent) could smell if water is foul?)

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

Miss Murder smiles, pleased. She'd never intended to just let the keep's former owner survive if she could help it, and if the bitch was staying nearby to revenge herself, that made it all the easier. "My first guess is the sinkholes. Either she's done something with them, or she got in that way." She might have snuck back into the keep invisible, but in Katrick's place, Miss Murder would not have unnecessarily headed back into enemy territory alone.