New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Knights IC

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Grey Knights IC

The area around the fallen gate towers is silent. A cool breeze blows down off the mountain. Nothing move beyond a few leaves and some grass swaying in the breeze.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ouch" War Machine says, rubbing at his 'injured' shoulder, then grins momentarily at Mercy.

Without another word, War Machine nudges his mount forward.

Once at the spot where the guardsmen were, he stops his horse and dismounts.

He silently removes the grouping of flowers he was still wearing from the day before. Reverently he places them on the ground where the ghosts had been maintaining their vigilant watch.

Wordless, he returns to his horse and mounts back up, leading the way through the toppled gates.
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-23 at 08:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93

As you all proceed through the gates some of you look into the tower on the left and notice that as teh final crumbling wallf fell it exposed a long forgotten corpse. Still hidden partially in the remains of the wall the human skeleton weares the tattered and rusted remains of a chainmain hauberk. Clutched in his nearly mummified arms is an old leather sack that looks like it still has something inside of it.

The breeze carries a small bird into the pass, its flutterings carry it onto the head of the corpse. Which wobbles and falls off, crumbling into dust and shards as it hits the ground. The cascade of bones, old leather, and rotten chain tips forward and crashes to the rubble. The bag it was holding bursts open spilling coins and other items across the cobblestone remains of the foundation.

Spoiler
    Show

1600gp, 1 gem, 1 reddish brown pouch in good condition (looks to have something in it)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Taking this as a sign of blessing from the god of the road, Mercy slips off of her mount, takes off her pack, and steps cautiously over to the spilled coins. She begins packing them into a side pocket of her pack.

I can divvy these up, as per regs, once we make camp tonight. Anyone want to have a look at this pouch first before we move on?

If no one else offers to, she'll have a glance inside, but won't investigate further - content to leave it to a more leisurely period after dark.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly: doesn't react, so he doesn't mind.
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

"I'll take it."
    Smokey's hawk (If it's been less than 22 minutes) lands on Mercy's shoulder and opens its beak for her to place a strap or fold in.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

With care both for the bird and her hand, Mercy places the pouch's drawstring in its beak, and drew back.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #98

Inside the bag is darker than it should be but you can see indistinct round shapes inside that look almost fuzzy.

The coins are quickly gathered a single large blue gemtone is also in the pile of coins.

You all notice a break in the bleak sky the sun is a little lower than you thought, while it is still early afternoon, you should probably get moving soon.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly

"Its getting late ... Avanti!"

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

Miss Murder gives War Machine a faint nod of appreciation for his quick thinking; safer and faster than fighting ghosts. She looks somewhat impatient as he stops them to place the flowers on the ground, but restrains herself from saying anything. It was still faster than a fight would have been.

"You're the mage," she replies as Mercy offers the pouch around. "You tell us. It can wait til we stop, far as I'm concerned. Let's move out."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl

The lizardfolk watched the whole encounter from his hidden spot. Once the ghosts had dissapated, Prowl rejoined the group as they passed through the gates. Though the gold and gem caught his notice, he didn't react, knowing the spoils would be split evenly amongst the group.

Nodding at Firefly's comment, the scout looks at the group. "We ready ta go, hoh? Want me back on point, non?"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

12. - Top - End - #102

The day goes by as you proceed into down the other side of the pass into the foothills. This side seems less steep and not nearly as high as coming up. But then again you were leaving the floor of a large and once lush valley.

From this side of the pass you can see far into the distance. The wide road cuts a slight curve into the green plains. To the south of the road a deep blue green lake, the Farrow Mere if you remember the map correctly. beyond that a great pine forest. You can see a hint of smoke on the edge of the horizon along the road.

The late afternoon comes on as you descend into the foothills.

Spoiler
    Show

Prowl you find evidence of giants in the area near the road.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl

So de War's over, huh? Now it'll be one t'ing after another. Dere's truly no such t'ing as peace! The lizardfolk chuckles to himself as he notices the signs of giant movement.

"Fir to Firefly. Giants in area. Hold position a moment," Prowl whispers to the red stone as he begins to inspect the tracks for more information.

Spoiler
    Show
    How many? How big? What else can I figure out with...
    Were giants employed by any side of the War?
    Search: (1d20+16)[36]
    Survival: (1d20+15)[22]

14. - Top - End - #104

@ Prowl
    Spoiler
    Show

There are 3 Large sized humanoids in the area. They have recently (within the last 30 minutes or so) crossed the road, after meandering around on one side of it for a few minutes. They went north.

Both/all sides used giants if they could persuade them to work for them. The giants often did not want to get involved in the (predominantly) human war.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl

After a quick search, Prowl relays the summary to the group."Fir to Firefly. Dere're t'ree but no so big 'uns. T'irty minutes past, dey headed north. Come on down."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quick Reconnoiter: (Free Action)
    Listen: (1d20+13)[18]
    Spot: (1d20+13)[32]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Shrugging to the others, Mercy continued forward. She glanced instinctively at the hills to their left.

17. - Top - End - #107

From behind you comes the stacatto triple thump of huge stones hitting the earth, one, two, three. You can hear the deep voices call out in giant Aww you no hit da horsey! You miss too!
    No hit nuffin!, Try 'gain!

As you look to the rear just north of the road stand three hill giants, they ready another volley of stones to launch.

-Roll Initiative!
    Spoiler
    Show

They are about 500 feet away from you, to the north of west.

----------------------------------------------------
    HG-------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Greys
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-24 at 11:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

"Hey, what's the meaning of this!?"
    Smokey wings closer to the giants, summoning a companion as he goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Init:(1d20)[17]
    120' above the ground directly above the group (to make things easy).
    Summon Monster V Large Air Elemental 50 feet in front of me, who moves 200 feet towards the giants.
    Lose 5th level spell.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by wadledo; 2008-03-25 at 01:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly 60 hp, AC 23, 121 pp

hmmm, they're much to far for me to do anything ...

Spoiler
    Show
    init: (1d20+1)[19]
    ready to cast wall of ectoplasm 50 ft away from me ... to stop charges or incomming missle fire ...
    edit: concentration check for mount auto-succeeds (+16 mod)
    Last edited by qube; 2008-03-25 at 02:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I don't think these brutes will know anything other than violence, unfortunately. War Machine thinks to himself.

"We can't leave these brutes to ambush the rest of the Greys." he says, gritting his 'teeth' together.

[ooc]
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+2)[6]
    HP: 116 / 116
    AC: 29
    SAVES:
    - Fort 13
    - Reflex 6
    - Will 7

how far from us did the rocks land?

Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-25 at 10:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 81/81; AC: 24, t 16, ff 19

Irritation at missing the giants' ambush causes Prowl's eyes to narrow to slits and his tongue to flick in and out several times. He studies the area around the giants for cover and hiding spots in which to begin his attack. "Fir to Firefly. Sorry 'bout dat. Dey're so far off I didn' notice dem."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+10)[26]
    Spot: (1d20+13)[16]
    Greyen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking for a suitable spot to dimension door myself over near the giants without being noticed initially.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Hmm. At that range, I can get off several defensive spells in time should they charge us, and at the bottom of this rise, I'm not likely to find much better cover.

I can keep them distracted with fire for a while, if someone else can get close enough to take them out. Firefly, tell Prowl that if he's sneaking in close, to let us know how close - I don't want to fry him.

Mercy lets fly with one of her favourite spells, and tries to angle her horse towards whatever cover she can find.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh look! A nail.

Initiative: (1d20+2)[7]

Assuming 2 of the 3 giants are all within a 20' radius of any point, she'll start off with a fireball, aimed to hit as many of them as possible. Reflex DC 19 for half. (10d6+3)[48] If Firefly's wall appears in her line of effect before she gets the spell off, she will first use her move action to move the horse forward as needed to get close to the barrier, potentially using it as cover.

If there's no wall in her way, she'll instead take a move action as required to get her horse off the road and into the best cover she can see. If that means moving towards such cover without actually reaching it this round, so be it.

23. - Top - End - #113

OOC- Still need an action from War Machine

Init Order-
    Prowl - 27
    Firefly - 19
    Smokey - 17
    Mercy - 7
    War Machine - 6
    Hill Giants - 6

Prowl disappears in a twinkle and appears about 30 ft behind and to the north of the Hill Giants.

Smokey wings his way toward the Hill Giants and begins casting a spell. The air beginning to form a spinning cloud in front of him.

Mercy snaps of a quick spell pointing her outstretched hands at the grunting monsters. A fiery red bead flies true, bursting on the center one's chest in a brilliant whoosh. All three of the giants howl in pain patting themselves as they smoke.

All three of the giants walk jog forward and hurling boulders at the warmage.
    Screaming "That one! Squish the one dat trows fire!"
    As the boulders arc into range you can hear the whistling of their coming. Firefly squints a little and a roilling greenish wall of snotlike goo expands out and catches them like net dropping them harmlessly on the ground 50 feet way from you. Much to the Hill Giants dismay Hey, dat not fair! Kill dem!
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-25 at 02:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 81/81; AC: 26, t 18, ff 19 (AC includes Skirmish bonus)

Slightly dazed form the dimension door, Prowl clears his head in time to see the giants begin striding toward the group. As he runs forward he fires an arrow at the giant that Mercy's fireball struck full-on. "Hey dere ya big oaf! Run on home now, y'hear!" He taunts before moving westward away from the giants and other Greys once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shot on the Run and then move away again, . Should remain about 60 feet from giants at end of movement.
    Attack: (1d20+17)[18]; includes PBS. EDIT: Ugh. Are you kidding me?
    Crit?: (1d20+17)[36]; includes PBS.
    Damage: (1d6+5)[10]; includes PBS.
    Skirmish Damage (and +2 AC): (2d6)[6]
    Fleet Runner's Array: +2AC vs AoOs.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-03-25 at 01:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

That's it, boys. All of you come to me...in a clump.

Firefly, you are officially my knight in shining armour.

Mercy is intent on the three giants, firing off a second blast then ducking further behind the dromite's bizarre wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that, if they're moving and throwing, they're still hundreds of feet away. In which case, what the hell, she'll hit them in the same way again, then moves her horse 5' further behind the wall...just in case.
    Concentration for casting on horseback is also an auto success, btw (+20)
    Fireball: (10d6+3)[30]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Little Miss Murder

Miss Murder snaps her shield up and draws the star-headed flail from her back, spurring her horse to close near the edge of the wall Mercy is using as a shield against the giants and their rocks. "Wait for them to close with us—we'll engage when they get close," she barks to War Machine. "Mercy, keep harrying them." She edges her mount in front of Mercy a bit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+2)[7] First round, Miss Murder draws her weapon and moves in front of Mercy, hoping to at least provide cover from the rocks; she's fighting defensively and using Stone Power at full, giving her 10 temporary hit points and AC 29. Stance is Leading the Charge.

Second round, she'll do the same thing, keeping in a position to give Mercy cover, unless the situation has changed by then.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly 60 hp, AC 23, 114 pp

((ooc: Toliudar: LOL: firefly is wearing a mythral breastplate. he IS a knight in shining armor))

Init dropped to 6, right before the gaints (side effect of ready action)

Oh, also during all his turns Fir and Firefly relate what prowl says to the party and vice versa (as free action - so the short version if needed)

"sorry about the line of sight problem you have now ..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    readies to either
    - wall of ectoplasm tacktic from the prev round
    - if about 200 away and minimum 20 ft away from our allies launch a hail of crystals ranged touch attack (1d20+7)[23] (confirm crit if needed(1d20+7)[11]) (damage (5d4)[12](if crit (5d4)[10]) (9d4)[25] area)
    - if they get too close (within their charging range): dismount and create my personal construct (is free action)
    edit: forgot to roll stuff for the construct. Greyen, can you roll them if needed. Firefly makes sure they can't charge us, summoned either in front of us, or as flanking buddy for Little Miss Murder if she prevents charges
    Spoiler
    Show
    "gooy umber hulk": Large Construct, 68 hp, spd 40 ft fly 20(average), AC 27, 2 slams +13(2d6+10), space/rch 10ft/10ft, DR 5/magic, Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2.
    more stats can be found on on my character sheet
    Last edited by qube; 2008-03-26 at 07:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

War Machine waits for the giants to move forward, hopefully being drawn in by Mercy's spellfire.

(ooc)
    Spoiler
    Show

if they close in, War Machine goes forward to meet them

basically, holding action until 6

(i wasn't sure exactly what i was going to do, honestly..I was surprised they could hurl a rock 480', when normal distance is 120 to 180.)
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-26 at 08:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Spoiler
    Show
    Mr. Scary: Giants can reach five range increments. So, they're taking some penalties, for which Mercy is very, very grateful, but yeah, reaching us was never a problem for them.

Mercy calls back to Firefly over her shoulder.

Actually, this is about perfect, thanks! Could have used you with my unit yesterday.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

"Why do land-bounds have to be so stupid?"
    Smokey lets his summon form, speeding towards the giants with it, loosening and drawing his spear at the same time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I got this now.
    Summon monster V 50 feet away from me, starting this turn.
    It double moves (200 ft) towards the giants.
    Large air elemental, 76 Hp, Fly 100 ft. (perfect), AC 20, Slam 14 melee (2d6+4), space/rch 10ft/10ft, DR 5/-, Air mastery, whirlwind, Fort +7, Ref +13, Will +2, Str 18, Dex 25, Con 20, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11.
    Otherwise identical to normal Air Elemental.
    Smokey double moves 90 feet, drawing his long-spear as he does so.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2008-03-26 at 02:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show